• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher S2 |OT| The Gang Visits New Orleans - Mondays 9/8c

Spuck-uk

Banned
The Starr stuff was perfect, it could have been the entire episode. He's so perfectly deadpan and perverse at the same time.

Alpende

I have no idea who Herr Starr was or is but after the last episode he's my favorite character in the Preacher show. I just knew he was gonna shoot the last guy during the trials.

Such a bad episode. I honestly don't even know why I'm still watching. The show is dull and pedestrian and worst of all I think that it's convinced it's dark and edgy.

I don't hate Dominic Cooper or Ruth Negga but they are both completely miscast here and it annoys me more and more every week.

I gave up after a couple of episodes of the new series. Just wasn't feeling it.

But the Herr Starr talk in this thread might pull me back in. By far my favourite character in the comics.

Breads

Banned
How is this Herr Starr more Herr Starr than the original. God damn am I glad he finally made it and boy was that a damn good intro.

Parch

I'm liking this season a lot more than the first. They're not messing around as much and the show has much better direction. Wrap up a storyline about one villain, immediately introduce a new one. There's a lot less meaningless and useless episodes this season.

Obscura

How is this Herr Starr more Herr Starr than the original. God damn am I glad he finally made it and boy was that a damn good intro.

They've changed just about everything they possibly could in the transition from comic to television... And yet Herr Starr feels like a pure, uncut triple distilled version of himself. AND the Grail still has the exact same purpose and plan on using the exact same "lineage" from the comic to achieve that end.

I'm happy as a pig in shit now. As long as they do this right they can change whatever they want.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've given the show a lot of (very very deserved) shit for how badly they've botched damn near every single element from the source material, but credit where credit is due, Herr Starr is so far, perfect.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Herr Starr was pretty good, but not really sure the sexual stuff worked that well. He was still the best thing about this episode, and yeah, the whole episode should probably have been about him. Tulips PSTD-dreams were so very uninteresting, though I somewhat enjoyed Gun Fight Club parts.

Last episode was perfect though. Just great.

Finally caught the episode. Starr is hilarious. The jacking off caught me off guard. That'll certainly distract people.

Great setup for him. I'm still enjoying every minute of the show. The Tulip stuff in this latest episode wasn't my fave though. Didn't seem like something she'd do...being so shook.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit, does this mean I should keep watching now? I haven't watched the last 2 episodes yet...

Give it another week and see how the response is then. Starr was pretty much perfectly done, but the rest of the cast is still, as has been said, completely miscast. I can't stand any of them, but Starr was great.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, just saw them now. I have to agree these episodes were better and Starr was great.

I hope we get to see
the Allfather and, better yet, the inbred son of Jesus LOL
. That's gonna ruffle some religious feathers...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They've abandoned every single plot thread from the source so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Well, so far it seems mostly on track with Herr Starr and the Grail, and the other dude did mention Jesus' descendent being locked up in a bunker and guarded by machine guns (Starr's reaction was priceless)... here's to hoping!

After seeing Pip Torrens (amazing name) in the credits all season we finally got to see him play Starr and it was worth the wait. His Lascelles was my favourite character from The Crown which was full of great ones.

Zbp3UaK.jpg

I quit watching after the first episode because people seemed to think it butchered the comic series from there but these recent impressions are intriguing. As someone who has read the whole series should I start from season 1 and just push through, or 2, or what?

But if it's truly improving I do want to watch because if this gets cancelled Preacher will likely never exist in the cinematic world again.

After a couple episodes with real momentum, tonight's episode slowed down to a crawl even with some nice emotional work from Cassidy.

With a cast so talented, I wish they would give them more to do sometimes. Next week does seem to pick up based on the preview.

Didn't know the actor who played Eugene could sing.

Boo Berry is delicious.

Sir Doom

So the structure is intense episode then slow episode build up. I would rather have consistent season tone

There were some good parts but overall meh

Of all the ways I thought a Preacher adaptation could be screwed up, I never in a million years imagined that anybody could make such a dull show out of the source material. How do you make Hell uninteresting?

Easily the most boring thing I've watched all week and that includes Twin Peaks and Ray Donovan.

That felt like a load of nothing. I'm guessing the builds to make Cassidy's vampire son be the villain they need to deal with at the end of the series and the grail (book spoiler)
end up kidnapping Cass as the cliffhanger?

I'm also guessing the whole Hell arc's just so Hitler steals Arseface's spot as the one who doesn't belong and gets out of hell somehow. Whilst Arseface is left being a vanilla niceguy dweeb, I mean I thought they did a decent gob of retconning at the start of the season but now him seeing the girl he loved being with Jessie is his worst version of hell? It's worse than him directly causing her suicide?

The way the season started gave me a little hope but outside of Fiore and the Grail they've done the same thing as season one where they draw everything out, make everything tedious and make everybody as unlikable as possible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
but now him seeing the girl he loved being with Jessie is his worst version of hell? It's worse than him directly causing her suicide?
Of course. The worst thing a woman can do to a man is daring to be with another man through her own agency, which is way worse than, you know, dying (because of you no less).

I mean... It'd make more sense if we were supposed to think that Eugene is a misogynistic piece of shit, but he's supposed to be a goody-two-shoes.

This show is fucking stupid and the people making it are fucking stupid. I'm convinced of that.

Wasn't Jesse not even back in town yet when she was alive? That seemed to be the earlier implication.

Strange episode at best, definitely a deflation compared to the last few.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Arseface is barely in the comics, he shows up for 1 arc at the beginning and has a couple of small appearances throughout.

So of course the nitwits making this crap shove him in every chance they get and have completely annihilated the character in the process.

I just can't get over how bad the pacing on this show is. We're eight episodes into the season and it feels like almost nothing has happened.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Well, stuff certainly happened. Great episode. The "Do you like CATS?" thing was confusing though. What the hell was the point of that?

Well, stuff certainly happened. Great episode. The "Do you like CATS?" thing was confusing though. What the hell was the point of that?

I just saw it more as comic relief that it would pop up, especially at the end when they had to deactivate BRAD.

I'm curious as to what caused Herr Starr to change his mind about Jesse when his fantasy went awry. Also what he planned to do with the girl and the butter.

Denis seems to be loving his new lease on life.

Tulip is still hurting.

I just can't get over how bad the pacing on this show is. We're eight episodes into the season and it feels like almost nothing has happened.
Yeah, this season started out really well, but it has slowed down to a crawl for quite a while. Jesse aimlessly searching for God has been surprisingly boring and Tulip still being traumatized about almost dying has gone on WAY too long (isn't she a hardened criminal? I feel like she must have faced dozens of life/death situations in her life by this point).

I actually like the weird offshoot scenes the most this season. Herr Starr is hilarious, and I actually do like the Hell storyline, even if it makes hell seem pretty mediocre. Jesse sending Arseface to hell was one of the biggest OH SHIT moments of season 1, and making Hell seem like a boredom inducing prison makes that moment a lot less impactful in hindsight.

I don't mind slowly paced shows as long as they're done well. I love Better Call Saul and barely anything happens during most seasons, but it builds at a steady pace. And Legion recently was really interesting throughout and kept me engaged the whole time even with the main plot taking its time to develop. Preacher is just a little too uneven, like a lot of stuff will happen, and then barely anything for a couple episodes.

*note* I haven't seen the latest episode yet, and I'm glad to hear some stuff is happening. And i still do like it overall, i just think it could be better.

Sir Doom

Gotta have an action scene with music playing so we are going to conveniently write this guy playing a song.

I think Tulip's trauma is another conveniently written story. The same Tulip who beat up a guy in a hotel and kicked ass in season1. But then Saint just chocked her or am I missing something else

So by it's up and down phasing next episode is a slow episode. 😔

The cats part is funny but there was no context after it. Was their system getting hack?

The show continues to nail The Grail, Featherstone really killed it this episode. The issue is that despite the fact they're a group that consist of a bumbling loser, a perfect zealot operative, and a sadomasochistic sociopath devoted to order they're all entertaining which makes them so much more likeable than the bunch of fuckers who are meant to be the protagonists. I think a lot of it has to be that they're considerably more close to the comic counterparts. Heck, I'd say that the only thing they screwed up with Starr in the series were the changes they made to his close combat training. It was funny in the show but in the comics it explained why a highly trained super soldier was vulnerable to unskilled assailants at close range.

Moff

the cats were just comic relief, a virus on their computer, nothing else
the butter girl was some weird fetish that was not suppised to be explained
Starr started to see Jesse as an asset when he saw him talking seriously about god.

Starr is also a really good character, I didn't like the other "comicish" characters like the saint or even Cassidy, but Starr is really good.
I am glad the episode was decent again after last weeks mess.

Top Bottom