• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher S2 |OT| The Gang Visits New Orleans - Mondays 9/8c

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah Jesse had some serious issues in the comic and could be a righteous ass hole but he was often dealing with the absolute worst of humanity. He was a good character because he wasn't just some psychopath given ultimate power.

"Yeah Jesse had some serious issues in the comic and could be a righteous ass hole but he was often dealing with the absolute worst of humanity. He was a good character because he wasn't just some psychopath given ultimate power."

Exactly. He was at least on the right side of things in the comics. I can't say that about Jesse in the show.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cassidy is really the only character on the show that is anything close to their comic counterpart.

Indeed. And I mean, you could argue that Tulip's an improvement (I'm not 100% convinced, she is in some ways and less in other ways), but Jesse is completely, thoroughly ruined. What does Tulip even see in him, anyway? It's completely out of character for her to waste her time with his asshole.

I just don't get how they could have destroyed his character so much and made him so insufferable. Like HellBlazer said, even show-Hitler is more likeable!

Seijuro

I really dig the second season thus far and think it conveys the feeling of a road trip through the US and it's strange, dark, comically twisted underbelly that I got when I read the comics many years ago.

comic spoiler
I really, really hope that fight between Jesse and Tulip wasn't the reason they broke up in the last episode's flashback. Jesse being coerced by Jody and his family to leave Tulip is one of the more important story beats of the Preacher story, I hope Rogen & co don't mess it up. Because the "until the end of the world" etc seems stupid if your relationship is over after a normal relationship fight.

ZOONAMI

Indeed. And I mean, you could argue that Tulip's an improvement (I'm not 100% convinced, she is in some ways and less in other ways), but Jesse is completely, thoroughly ruined. What does Tulip even see in him, anyway? It's completely out of character for her to waste her time with his asshole.

I just don't get how they could have destroyed his character so much and made him so insufferable. Like HellBlazer said, even show-Hitler is more likeable!

Well, outside of the back story has Jesse really been all that bad? Sending Arsehole to hell was an accident, and yeah he was being a pos with the whole mobster tulip situation, but ultimately made the right call in not killing him.

The back story bit was I think supposed to be somewhat relatable as to just the same old same old every day, and he was in sort of a weird spot with "retiring" from doing jobs. I guess I'm not really sure what the whole pregnancy thing was about, and yeah beating on the roommate was way out of line. I think the episode was meant to convey that Jesse was not perfect and still isn't. Maybe they went too far though. He has still effectively turned over some sort of a new leaf though being a preacher and is really the only one committed to finding God, which is what being a preacher is sort of all about. And finding God isn't just a selfish endeavor, he is trying to rescue Arsehole from hell.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He's completely ignoring Tulip's pleas when beating on her ex-husband, refuses to even listen to her story or consider her feelings or anything she says. He's supposedly angry because hey he loves her so much 'til the end of the world, and yet he literally acts as if she didn't exist.

He fucking uses the Word on her. A woman he supposedly loves.

And so, completely disregarding Tulip's wishes and denying her agency by using the Word, he's ready to torture the guy to death for daring to having loved "his" girl (while they were separated and, as Tulip says, he's the one who left her!). But of course the male friend steps in later, and that + the male victim just saying "btw you're an asshole" is what makes the lightbulb go off and he goes "oh yeah maybe I shouldn't do this". Good things bros look out for each others huh. e_e

And then later, when he returns to his friends, he says "I took him down", an obviously vague and misleading phrase that is obviously going to be misinterpreted, then he acts all indignant when they react negatively. "No of course I meant I cut down his harness duh", yeah OK, fuck off Jesse. Even worse, he acts as if it was his decision all along and takes no responsibility for the whole mess.

He barely apologizes (I can't even remember if he even does to be honest) for the whole thing, doesn't even bring up how painfully out of line he was to use the Word on his girlfriend, just acts aloof and Tulip immediately falls into his arms.

Honestly? It's gross. Fuck Jesse and fuck this show.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Yall are doing this show wrong. Watch it baked and it's fucking next level.

I know some of you will say you could say that about anything but that isn't actually true.

Maybe that's the probelm. Seth Rogen is so baked out of his mind at all times that everything he writes requires the viewer to be baked as well to be able to enjoy it. They ruined Preacher. They took the names, and threw everything else away. The characters are unrecognizeable, the story is all new and has hardly anything to do with th source material. They even change fundamental details about the character, such as word not working on a certain individual.

What is left here, really?

Honestly, this feels like the hobbit, when it should be lotr. With lotr Peter Jackson and co had to pick the most essential pieces to tel the story as well as they could. With the hobbit they took a story and added to it, thus creating a big stinking pile of shit.

I get that things need to change for television, but come on. Tell the actual story, don't create an entirely new one that is uninteresting trash.

I used to think Jesse Custer was such a cool, slick badass. The show changed him to a babyfaced asshole. I hope it gets canned.

Saint of Killers is pretty close, though I wish they had cast someone different. The beard just makes him seem like a goofy old prospector versus scary.

Ehh, the ruined the whole part about him being God's hitman and instead is just some dude trapped in hell like everyone else.

Exactly, Tulip is actually an improvement in a lot of ways, but everything else is a huge fucking mess.

They ruined SoK backstory making him completely fucking...pointless.

They ruined Eugene in S1 only to retcon the character assassination and even then Eugene still comes off as fucking creepy while still having more sense then fucking Jesse. Like...what the fuck man.

Honestly, everything you outlined about Tulip and Jesse's relationship in this show in your other post on this page highlights so many of my problems with this show.

I felt bad for the mob boss, and I was shocked Jesse used The Word on Tulip, only for Tulip to fall into his arms at the end...

Christ. THe whole thing is so sexist and awful I don't know where to begin.

It's really weird that Tulip is practically tripping over herself to get back with Jesse considering she doesn't take shit from anybody and Jesse has obviously given her a ton of shit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I felt bad for the mob boss, and I was shocked Jesse used The Word on Tulip, only for Tulip to fall into his arms at the end...

Christ. THe whole thing is so sexist and awful I don't know where to begin.
Yeah, I didn't want to say it, but I agree. It's pure sexist garbage.

still love the show and everything happening

Jesse definitely comes off with a darker shade in the last episode but that doesn't bother me.

The fact that they've now changed it so that Jesse has chosen to go back home and become a preacher is just mind-boggling to me, like how wrong can go with the source material?!

Fanboy purist gonna wank over every inconsistent deviation from the comics. Just be glad we got a show about Preacher. If you don't like it, don't watch it ;) I for one love the show.

Fanboy purist gonna wank over every inconsistent deviation from the comics. Just be glad we got a show about Preacher. If you don't like it, don't watch it ;) I for one love the show.

It's one thing to have "inconsistencies" which piss off "fanboy purists", it's another to re-write the lead character into an insufferable prick whom I couldn't give less of a fuck about.

I don't know why he's so relentless, the Saint of Killers work is already done.

So, I'm not familiar with the comics, but quite like heaven/hell mythology stories.

Thought the whole series is kind of meh, but kept coming back to see where the plot is going and with the last episode it seems like Preacher is about affirming the behaviour of an abusive boyfriend.

Very happy to see others had the same kind of feelings towards the show and its main characters - Preacher randomly beating up his stoner friend in the flashback scene + torturing Tullips husband in the present, and everyone just enabling his behaviour. Just one big domestic abuser advertisement.

Show went from kind of meh, to "who made this shit and why do they think it's okay?"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I always thought Jesse was kind of a cunt in the comics. He might've had these moments of clarity but stil idolized a real righteous cunt, John Wayne and lived his life like him to a fault. The idea that Jesse was a stand up guy or the hero of the story worth looking up to always seemed misguided. Everyone in the comics was broken or judgemental to a fault, but that was kind of the point. We create the environment we live in. With or without gods help, we choose how we navigate through it all.

I'm not a fanboy purist at all, since it's been so long since I read the comics that I don't really remember anything about them at all. This show is just simply bad without even considering how it is as an adaptation.

No one is talking about tonight's episode yet? I'm shocked. One of the best ones yet I'd say.

I agree. They ramped up the tension with the deal Jesse made with the Saint, which added a lot of momentum to the episode.

Bad decision by Jesse at the end there, as I see the Saint returning down the road even angrier than before.

It was cool seeing Ando from Heroes as the soul buyer/seller. Flipping 150K into 2.7 million is a hell of a profit.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Same.

I loved the comic but to really doesn't hold up well, and a 1 to 1 adaptation would have been horrible. That and the comic is incredibly homophobic, which I'm glad they entirely ditched.

Also holy shit the latest episode was great.

Moff

Why's Jesse being a drama queen? He still has 99% of his soul left.

well I don't think we really know what that means

really liked the episode a lot, the whole season is just really enjoyable

it was obviously a mistake by Jesse to dump the saint there, he will be back, but I guess they didn't want to lose the character.
I really liked how he tricked him, though.

Easily the best episode of the season and yet one of many examples of how the deviations from the source material are for the better. This one was really clever. Jesse walked the perfect line of genuinely looking out for his friends and coming off as a bit too holy at the end.

Dennis reveal was great too. I wonder where they go next.

Sir Doom

Wow
Very intense episode and good world building too.
Best episode this season.

I was answering the Preacher survey and they asked how the Saint will be stop. I really thought by a new person helping them, but it's good to see the team did it

I really like that small scene with Cassidy and Dennis

Why's Jesse being a drama queen? He still has 99% of his soul left.
Do we know of he does or not?

I was thinking they were implying that in his dabbling with soul selling in the past, he might have given away a chunk of his soul in the past, so he might not have much left. (but there might have been a scene where it made it sound like he didn't know about partial soul taking, but I forget).

Thats why I figured he was being so uncontrollably filled with rage in the episode with the mob boss. It's like he's getting closer to being as awful as the Saint of Killers dude the less soul that he has, and why Tulip was so worried when she found out he gave part of his own soul away.

Liked first season, but haven't seen any episode of season 2.
Does it have lots of supernatural elements or it's more realistic (!) than season 1? I hope for supernatural things!

KarmaCow

Liked first season, but haven't seen any episode of season 2.
Does it have lots of supernatural elements or it's more realistic (!) than season 1? I hope for supernatural things!

There are supernatural elements but it's depicted more like science fiction with an approachable in-universe explanation rather that straight up mystical.

Spwn

Phew, binged through the first season last weekend and have watched most of the S2 episodes that are available on Prime Video so far. Big fan of the graphic novel and I've read it multiple times. I appreciated the first season for being different from the source material, but as I've continued watching, the changes they've made with the characters bother me more an more. Also the way they portray Hell and its inhabitants is just plain stupid.

I wish they ease on the focus on Tulip. I don't really like the changes they made to her character as now one of the main tension points between Jesse and Tulip from the comics has been taken away – Jesse not trusting Tulip to be able to handle dangerous situations while she was totally capable of taking care of herself. I guess every female main character has to be defined as an ass kicker from the get go these days.

I thought the introduction of Herr Starr was great. As someone who hasn't read the comics, I can see why readers were looking forward to his arrival.

Everything from his beef with parking validation, seduction techniques, and hand to hand combat were hilarious.

Tulip dealing with the aftermath of almost being killed in an extreme way made sense for her character.

Sir Doom

The flashback of Herr Star was great with that music.
Perfect casting too
The only thing I didn't like was Tulip's dream. It was obvious another dream and Saint was going to show up, They just drag it out.

Such a bad episode. I honestly don't even know why I'm still watching. The show is dull and pedestrian and worst of all I think that it's convinced it's dark and edgy.

I don't hate Dominic Cooper or Ruth Negga but they are both completely miscast here and it annoys me more and more every week.

Top Bottom