• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prepare yourselves, the Steam Winter Seal comes on Dec. 22nd 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

chekhonte

This is my last chance to stock up on games for a while. I just bought a house and I'm going to be saving rather than spending. I hope it's a good one. I've already put everything I want on a wishlist.

This is the big one folks. Hope it's a good one - the last couple of steam sales have been a bit underwhelming for me personally.

rezn0r

This is my last chance to stock up on games for a while. I just bought a house and I'm going to be saving rather than spending. I hope it's a good one. I've already put everything I want on a wishlist.

congrats! that was me a few years ago. now i buy dozens of games in sales every month and just sit in my basement drunk. it's great.

Radio

I miss dailies. I'm usually terrible at shopping because I put way too much thought into even the smallest purchase, but add in a timer and I lose my mind and buy everything. And that's what Steam Sales are all about.

chekhonte

congrats! that was me a few years ago. now i buy dozens of games in sales every month and just sit in my basement drunk. it's great.

Houses in Seattle are too damned expensive. It's going to be a while before my earning potential out paces my mortgage and the ridiculous cost of utilities here. I'm expecting that it'll be 5 years where I'll be in a place where I feel comfortable about spending on junk...about the time where I'll need to build a new pc.

rezn0r

Houses in Seattle are too damned expensive. It's going to be a while before my earning potential out paces my mortgage and the ridiculous cost of utilities here. I'm expecting that it'll be 5 years where I'll be in a place where I feel comfortable about spending on junk...about the time where I'll need to build a new pc.

haha. refinancing helped us out a lot the past year, keep an eye out for things like that. good luck with it all!

chekhonte

The lack of a featured deal discount will apply to the Winter Sale also. This is why publishers were able to set separate discounts for the two sales (Autumn and Winter).

Are you certain that will be the case or are you just guessing?

so do we think the change in the way they're going the sales (no dailies, etc.) is having a positive or negative effect on how many copies are selling?

I feel like some people go "oh snap it's 75% off for 8 hours, I better jump on it now," and you might lose out on some sales if there's no time pressure pushing people to buy immediately or "miss" it.

This happened to me, I added a couple games to my cart at the start of the sale, was like 'oh w/e I've got 2 weeks I'll buy it near the end' and then the sale ended and I'd bought nothing.

Bytes

The lack of flash sales will ensure that this is the worst winter sale (seal?) in Steam history. Instead of constantly checking Steam for two weeks and playing a fun meta-game, I will probably check Steam for two minutes before deciding that there are no good deals for me and then never checking again.

I don't see a problem w/ this. I'll get my shopping out of the way on day 1, then decide if I want to give gifts later.

This probably also means, less discounts though and really that doesn't bother me either as my backlog is big enough. If I want to play a game, I'll just buy it, discounts are just icing on the cake.

Nothing on the scale of the Summer and Winter sales.

Ah well, worst comes to worst I can just cop a few games and wait until the Summer sale to get the rest.

That's the Summer Sale. The Autumn Sale runs for a week and the Winter Sale two weeks.

If the Steam sale doesn't end till after New Years, then I may just be able to hustle up some extra dough. I'll be getting Christmas presents after all :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I expect terrible sales like the Thanksgiving sales.

#BringBackDailies

I also expect Ubisoft and Activision to not deep-discount their stuff, per the norm.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess they will pull an Autumn sale and make all the sales known and at their "best" price.

If you look at your badge page, there are apparently cards and a badge for the holiday sale, so whether or not there's daily deals there seems to be some sort of gamification

If you look at your badge page, there are apparently cards and a badge for the holiday sale, so whether or not there's daily deals there seems to be some sort of gamification

There can't be that many people desperate enough for such consumerist garbage.

YAAAASSSSS!

MUnited83

For you.
That's the Summer Sale. The Autumn Sale runs for a week and the Winter Sale two weeks.

Will the Winter sale really run for two weeks though? Considering it's starting later than usual and that now discounts are for the most part live since the beggining of the sale two weeks seems redundant.

DMTripper

So I'm kinda new to steam sales. Bought a couple of games in the autumn sale.

Will this one be even better? Xmas has taken its toll on my wallet but I can always stretch a bit...

Jimrpg

Biggest seal of the year!

I bought about 10 games in the summer sale and still haven't finished any of them... So going to be reasonable and not pick up too much stuff just to put it in the backlog.

Got elite dangerous in the autumn sale so I still need to play that.

Everyone post what you want to buy -

MGSV:GZ at least 66% off (doubt PP will get a big discount so I guess I'll wait some more)
Dynasty Warriors game at least 66% off
Project Cars at least 66% off

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will the Winter sale really run for two weeks though? Considering it's starting later than usual and that now discounts are for the most part live since the beggining of the sale two weeks seems redundant.

The difference is only a few days, but you've reminded me that the mystery cards appeared earlier than usual this year, so I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the sale is shorter.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love thread title typos. Because the OP can't even fix it and it rarely gets fixed. Surefire way to get the thread off to a great off-topic start.

KDR_11k

Problem with dailies is that there are refunds now so people would refund games that ended up on a deeper sale a few days later which of course causes Valve extra costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom