• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

pretty sure Squeenix just broke a new record (Tomb Raider SP DLC - Buyable Crosshair)

Jac_Solar

Heh. I'm deep into Mechwarrior online right now.

And admittedly that's a F2P game for a niche genre, so the numbers aren't apples to apples; but in that game you're been charged $3-$6 for each paint COLOUR. Then if you like a particular pattern, you can either pay 80c for a one off use of that camo (i.e. you'll lose it when you change it), or you can pay around $5-$7 for a camo that you can use permanently for all mechs of that type.

... I've spent a bit too much on paint jobs in this game. The only other game I've spent this much on paint on is Warhammer 40k! The upside is, you don't have to actually paint the mechs yourself in this game.

Oh... and Hero mechs (exclusive mechs with a money earning bonus) go from $10 to a new record of about $35... per Mech variant! (they're multiple variants for one type).

Yet.. you keep supporting this practice by paying for it?

You dont remember correctly, you can definitely unlock the headshot indicator for the pistol. I know because i used it with the silencer in my playthrough; its the best way to play stealthily :p

I found the bow to be way more useful to stealth. Not sure what I do wrong but silenced pistol still seems to alert everyone. :(

Megasoum

Banned
http://store.steampowered.com/app/208803/

ss_2b0e0c86acd162516ae28507c52c7729958b2cc4.600x338.jpg

get your reticules for a dollar!

also.. that pistol silencer the description mentions?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208805/

also a dollar!

It's not worse that any other DLC cheats you can buy for many games nowadays. It's all stuff you can unlock in game or pay to get right away.

Mupod

When I got sleeping dogs during its sale on steam a while back I'm glad I actually read the description of its DLC before adding any to my cart, because a bunch of them were straight up cheats.

snap0212

If you're browsing NeoGAF then I assume you're an informed gamer. Being surprised by money-grabbing methods in form of DLC seems weird to me.

My recommendation for people who don't play on the PC would be to wait and buy used or rent. I only buy new games when I can be sure there won't be a GotY edition or a huge amount of DLC. Otherwise I'll stick to renting games.

PC players can mod games, right? Couldn't you just mod that stuff anyway? I was hoping cheats would still be big when I come back to PC gaming. :(

Orbis

When I got sleeping dogs during its sale on steam a while back I'm glad I actually read the description of its DLC before adding any to my cart, because a bunch of them were straight up cheats.
Worst thing about that was, I was seriously short on XP after finishing the game (literally everything completed) and that was the only thing between me and a platinum trophy. I had a choice between grinding for hours or buying an XP pack. Almost seemed like it was deliberate, but to be fair, a lot of other players didn't have this problem so maybe I just played the game weird. Anyway, I stuck with the grinding and achieved one of my very few platinums.

Yea, OP needs to add that these are actually things you unlock naturally in the game, this is simply giving you the ability to get it much earlier in the story. Silencer, headshot reticule etc. is all there regardless, you jus have to wait til you've upgraded your pistol enough to ge tto that tier.

inky

Yea, OP needs to add that these are actually things you unlock naturally in the game, this is simply giving you the ability to get it much earlier in the story. Silencer, headshot reticule etc. is all there regardless, you jus have to wait til you've upgraded your pistol enough to ge tto that tier.

The fact that they are even offering these is lame as fuck. Can we complain about that or is that being unfair too?

kuroshiki

Give me classic costume.

or catgirl costume.

take my money.

The fact that they are even offering these is lame as fuck. Can we complain about that or is that being unfair too?

They are not putting gun in your head and forcing you to buy it.

I'll never understand the outrage on this stuff.

Most of this stuff is unlockable by playing the game. A lot of it is pointless. If some people want to buy it, that's on them. It doesn't impact the normal player in any way.

Love how more options for people is now a bad thing.

Really? How is it "lame as fuck"? Sure, you can complain about it. If that makes you feel better. But how are you impacted in any way by some clown buying some nonsense thing for a buck and unlocking it earlier than someone else would playing the game? Why would anyone care how anyone else plays the game?

Dynoro

I'll never understand the outrage on this stuff.

Most of this stuff is unlockable by playing the game. A lot of it is pointless. If some people want to buy it, that's on them. It doesn't impact the normal player in any way.

Love how more options for people is now a bad thing.

Really? How is it "lame as fuck"? Sure, you can complain about it. If that makes you feel better. But how are you impacted in any way by some clown buying some nonsense thing for a buck and unlocking it earlier than someone else would playing the game? Why would anyone care how anyone else plays the game?

All the SP stuff bar the tomb is unlockable and the tomb was a preorder bonus on Steam so I don't see the issue either. If you are lazy (or really bad at the game) you can by the weapon DLC otherwise you just play the game and get it for free.

Riddy

I unlocked both DLC by just playing the game. This really isn't nearly as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Besides, why not support an awesome game?

Give me classic costume.

or catgirl costume.

take my money.

I'm really, really shocked that the only DLC costumes out so far are 3 very, very bland ones (Aviatrix, Guerilla and Hunter) you can only obtain as pre-order bonuses.

Not even an option for Lara's classic costume, or her previous dresses. For shame CD, for shame.

Legend and Underworld had wayyyy more costume unlockables than this new reboot. It seems like in their quest to pander to the gritty, realistic crowd the forgot about the all important wardrobe aspect in a TR game. Now all we can rely on are the modders, who are hard at work apparently lol.

Skins for the planes in Ace Combat get my vote, due to the price. (luckily i don't care about Idolmaster skins, but still).
Ugh... I don't want some anime characters on my fighter jet and I for damn sure ain't about to pay for it (obviously someone is though).

I'd buy a pack of prototype fighters that look cool and do some crazy stuff though.

Is the Shogun 2 pack hated because the gore is seen as unnecessary/stupid, or because Sega is "charging for a graphical effect"?

Because Sega actually jumped through some massive hoops with the ESRB to ship that. DLC is not supposed to change the base game's rating (in this case, a T), I'm pretty sure this was the first case of rating-changing DLC being allowed by the ESRB.
Not to mention, I'm sure that took enough work on animations/effects to warrant charging something for it. You would want to get paid for your work too yaknow :p

JJD

This is not DLC is it?

It's an early unlock. I have both the silencer and the "headshot reticle" and I never bought any DLC for this game.

You can get that just by playing the game.

Did the OP even played the game?

Victrix

*beard*
This is not DLC is it?

It's an early unlock. I have both the silencer and the "headshot reticle" and I never bought any DLC for this game.

You can get that just by playing the game.

Hahaha, playing the game.

Look at this scrub. I had headshots immediately.

Think you're quoting the wrong guy, I didn't say anything about unfair, or what people can complain about, just simply some info that is relevant that OP should add so people get the full picture when they click :) you saying that this stuff is not exclusively dlc you have to pay for doesn't change how it looks, at all? if you think it's lame as fuck, thats cool, it has no bearing on what I was saying.

Riposte

I was going to post this. Crusader Kings II also has some out there ones (new logos for dynasties, more accurate faces for Mongol characters, in game music etc) but its balanced with awesome, game changing DLC as well. You've got to strike a balance.

Would people feel better if Paradox decided to add more accurate faces for Mongols (or music soundtracks, etc) via Kickstarter?

sublimit

Banned
Well if people stop buying this crap then publishers will stop doing it.You vote with your money,not with what you write on internet forums.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I used to have so much fun unlocking secret stuff in games.

inky

They are not putting gun in your head and forcing you to buy it.

No is one putting a gun to my head to buy anything, videogame related or not. I don't see what that has to do with what I'm saying.

It doesn't make me feel better or worse, but I think you should care, because if enough "clowns" buy things like these it just sends the signal that this is OK, and companies will move on to the next thing to put in there as DLC. I care as much as what people are deciding what is acceptable to be paid content (even if it is now in the game) and what is not, and I see this just as a stepping stone to something else.

But I guess being shortsighted and dismissive works too.

you saying that this stuff is not exclusively dlc you have to pay for doesn't change how it looks, at all?

Right now it does, down the road tho...

Jac_Solar

Just because certain publishers already offer something similar doesn't mean that people should stop calling these these awful nickle and dime DLC schemes outs.

Have some people already started accepting this or something?

Top Bottom