• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

pretty sure Squeenix just broke a new record (Tomb Raider SP DLC - Buyable Crosshair)

Jac_Solar

It pays for a game that I really enjoy and I can afford it, and it's a niche product. Seems reasonable to me!

Hehe. Yeah, MechWarrior Online is quite unique at the moment. The last Armored Core wasn't as good as people had hoped either, I believe. I didn't really enjoy it much anyhow, but I only played for a couple of hours (I don't like Multiplayer.).

Burt

Almost as bad as their app store pricing.

I can't wait for them to come out with a f2p game some day just to laugh at the items and prices.

It doesn't make me feel better or worse, but I think you should care, because if enough "clowns" buy things like these it just sends the signal that this is OK, and companies will move on to the next thing to put in there as DLC. I care as much as what people are deciding what is acceptable to be paid content (even if it is now in the game) and what is not, and I see this just as a stepping stone to something else.

But I guess being shortsighted and dismissive works too.

Ahhh... so slippery slope fallacy and all. Got it. It's not this particular set of DLC that's the problem, it's what this will imply in some future game. Sure.

BTW, this stuff is okay. It gives people more choices to play things the way they want to play them. More choice is better for everyone, competition is better for everyone, more options for people is better for everyone.

If people don't buy it, these things won't get made. Just because other people don't have the same desires as you does not mean they are wrong.

But, please continue complaining about "lame as fuck"-isms.

The Shogun 2 Blood DLC was a way to get around GER/AUS game ratings.

It also let them sell the game to a wider audience. I wish Bionic Commando: Rearmed had that option; it was practically an E10+ game, T at worst, except for one single scene of gore. I'm glad they were true to the original, but it would've been better for their sales if they could've shipped a T game, with that last bit as free M-rated DLC.

I'm not sure consoles currently out today can handle DLC changing ratings in their Parental Controls. I hope the next generation of consoles fix that. I want more options available to developers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd buy day one DLC that stops DLC being shoved down my throat during the actual game like is becoming more and more pervasive.

A 'leave me the fuck alone' DLC

inky

Ahhh... so slippery slope fallacy and all. Got it. It's not this particular set of DLC that's the problem, it's what this will imply in some future game. Sure.

It's not a fallacy when you see how it has happened this gen. We have very real very egregious examples of DLC right now, but I guess those are just imaginary to you.
BTW, this stuff is okay. It gives people more choices to play things the way they want to play them. More choice is better for everyone, competition is better for everyone, more options for people is better for everyone.

If people don't buy it, these things won't get made. Just because other people don't have the same desires as you does not mean they are wrong.

I could say the same thing about you. Just because you think this is "giving people options" doesn't mean developers should do it. It is not meaningful, it is not giving any advantage it is a pretty shitty practice. Why then don't we focus on what actually is? Just because they can offer something doesn't mean they should, but I guess when it doesn't bother you, it shouldn't bother anyone else, right? Speaking of fallacies.

But, please continue complaining about "lame as fuck"-isms.

I will, thank you very much.

I might be old here, but didn't we used to call this sort of thing an "option"? Like, maybe a preference?

This just seems really...cheap. Like, blatant. Am I missing something here?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Okay.

imsorry10eta.jpg
If I didn't know you better, I'd say you only did it for the sake of that joke.

Sadly, the reality is much worse than that :(

Way I see it, I'm sort of desensitized at this point to DLC being for aesthetics; color changes, different outfits, and all that. If it's something that doesn't affect gameplay and is optional (can unlock it by playing or buy DLC), I'm fine with that.

It gets to a slippery slope with me when they do optional with in-game stuff. Even if cheap now, it worries me for the future if companies find this stuff really catches on.

I don't know yet how easy or hard it is to get a silencer and crosshair in TR yet, but making it buyable if it's something that can be gotten in the middle of the SP campaign, that's strange to me. If it's easy to get for most, it's making me wonder what kind of gamers are there now that are having trouble getting it that companies would feel the need to offer that.

(rant)
If anything DLC could've (should've) been better, more difficult tombs.
(/rant)

Top Bottom