• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey 2 details (no MP, MEdge/Riddick/KZ/ME/AC2/Vanquish inspired) [Updated Again]

Status
Not open for further replies.
GABDEG said:
:/ That screen man..
Am I the only one who thinks that aliens in bars and shit doesn't really work?
It worked for Star Wars.

Anyway I'm not going to dismiss it just yet. I think it could be pretty interesting. I can't think of a whole lot of games that have tried something like this.

Why even call it Prey? Looks nothing like it lol.

Speaking of Prey, it's one of the few games where you'd be best just playing the demo instead of playing the entire thing. The demo is ridiculously long and it contains some of the best bits in the game.

Zenith

Banned
ha. There were more screens in this month's Edge. It looks exactly like Mos Eisley/Coruscant slums.

they also said the Sphere level (the only thing linking this to Prey) lasts 5 minutes.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Neuromancer said:
It worked for Star Wars.

Anyway I'm not going to dismiss it just yet. I think it could be pretty interesting. I can't think of a whole lot of games that have tried something like this.

I don't know why but I can accept it in Mass Effect only.

I really want to see some Gameplay of this game... it sounds interesting, but how the hell can it be inspired by all those things but also not be a mismash of weird crap... those games aren't exactly and necessarily similar..

it sounds promising... but i can't get past the name.

'we took all this cool stuff from all these other games and put it in Prey 2!'

oh, awesome. so like it has all the cool stuff from Prey and all the cool stuff from those other games?

'er. no. we took out all the cool stuff from Prey and put the cool stuff from the other games in instead!'

why?

'hey look! a sexy alien!'

plagiarize said:
it sounds promising... but i can't get past the name.

'we took all this cool stuff from all these other games and put it in Prey 2!'

oh, awesome. so like it has all the cool stuff from Prey and all the cool stuff from those other games?

'er. no. we took out all the cool stuff from Prey and put the cool stuff from the other games in instead!'

why?

'hey look! a sexy alien!'
Super Mario Brothers 2 was also a fairly big departure from Super Mario Bros 1. Just saying. Maybe we should get past the whole "Why is it called this, when it's so different from the last one?" Maybe we shouldn't hold devs to making the same games over and over and let them do their own thing.

Neuromancer said:
Super Mario Brothers 2 was also a fairly big departure from Super Mario Bros 1. Just saying. Maybe we should get past the whole "Why is it called this, when it's so different from the last one?" Maybe we shouldn't hold devs to making the same games over and over and let them do their own thing.

This couldn't have been said better!

The concept art just became my wallpaper... it's damn nice.

Kydd BlaZe

I've got high hopes for this. That screenshot looks great...love the concept art too. Bladerunner/Mass Effect-esque world is awesome.

subversus

Well, I bought The Edge and the game looks good! I haven't read the article yet but shots give me "Total Recall" vibe. Also it looks a bit cell-shaded.

Manager

Neuromancer said:

Should've included "Mario Bros 2 inspired" in the topic.

aesop

So disappointing. The stuff that made the first Prey interesting is what they're (apparently) leaving out of the sequel. The gravity stuff, portals, and native american angle is what set the game apart from all the other "me too!" FPS's that were out at the time of its release.

Change the name or put the good stuff back in.

subversus

I'm reading the article and I don't give a damn about portals anymore. It shouldn't be called Prey but whatever, this will help to sell the game.

tommy_final_cropped.jpg

More here : http://www.shoptonews.net/2011/08/21/prey-2-preview-2/

Seems to be a new article on a site I've never heard of. Not a lot of new details, and some of it reads like they just copied press packet descriptions word for word, but some interesting stuff:
The unique sprint/cover mechanic is presented here, allowing the player to dash, grab, vault or slide based on a context sensitive control system. Said to be inspired by Mirror’s Edge, the sprint/cover mechanic in Prey 2 doesn’t require any specific signposts, simply based on the understanding of player recognition; working in much the same fashion as Brink, the difference is simply a case of superior visual delivery in terms of animation.
Life is active in every corner, and the player can reportedly interact with any of it. One example shown was that of a beggar being mugged: the player can just choose to ignore it, but wading in and taking out the aggessors may hold a reward. A third option is to wait until the crime has been comitted and then use your visor to track down the hostiles. In a similar fashion to Batman: Arkham Asylum, the player can switch their visor to a tracking mode and hunt down the bad guys in question.

The visor is just one of the twenty five upgradable gadgets, which includes the anti-gravity grenade and hoverboots. The anti-gravity grenade works like a telekinectic power, pulling enemies out of cover, while the hoverboots allow the player to descend to ground level quickly and safely, a real benefit when scaling many floors in quick succession.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm glad there's no MP. They get to tailor the gameplay entirely around the single player experience, and we won't get multiplayer maps repurposed as segments of the single player campaign.

I'm a sucker for questing, so I hope there's plenty to do and explore.

UrbanRats

thetrin said:
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm glad there's no MP. They get to tailor the gameplay entirely around the single player experience, and we won't get multiplayer maps repurposed as segments of the single player campaign.

I'm a sucker for questing, so I hope there's plenty to do and explore.
I'm with you.
We already got a shitton of multiplayer games, for all tastes, and you can play only at one or two at a time (since every single one of them has now levels, upgrades, map packs and shit) so no sense in shoving it everywhere, like they usually do.

DangerStepp

Samoora said:
looks interesting but why is every line out of the dev's mouths a comparison to another game?
It's a shotgun method of name dropping at least one title you've played/enjoyed so that you'll play/enjoy this one.

derFeef

That game sounds really great. I was mad first because of no Tommy and the shift in story, but I am okay with this now. Very okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom