• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

mishakoz

Also for a new page. Very late game.

I cant seem to save
dahl, it says i need to take his unconscious body to the medbay but he becomes a corpse before I get there. Its not time based because if I just watch him sit he stays unconscious.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I started this game last night and holy crap they just drop you right into an open place don't they? It has some difficulty too, which I like.

Does anyone know if there are any permanent missables? Upgrades, weapons etc?

Anyone have the Steam overlay accidentally open when you did not press the keyboard combination to normally open it?

I had my combo set to ctrl+tab to open it up and when I was pressing ctrl to go into sneak, the UI would randomly open when pressing it. I have tab bound to inventory and there is no way I'm accidentally pressing it. I thought it was a glitch so I rebound the combo to shift+tab and it's happening again when I press shift to run. Really don't want to have to come up with yet another combo...

Yeah shift w keeps opening my steam overlay for some reason when I alt tab back in so it's some kind of input issue with it thinking alt is being held still I imagine

Megasoum

Banned
I found a shotgun in the demo... Now I'm way past the demo part and I still don't have one...

Either they moved it in the final game or I just missed it (more likely) and this is killing me lol

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I found a shotgun in the demo... Now I'm way past the demo part and I still don't have one...

Either they moved it in the final game or I just missed it (more likely) and this is killing me lol

They moved it. They also moved the
Silenced Pistol

Varna

I started this game last night and holy crap they just drop you right into an open place don't they?

Yeah... The areas can feel a bit overwhelming. Especially when it's an area with no gravity. No clear indicator on areas that will kick your ass either.

It's pretty funny that I was worried about this game holding your hand too much.

Megasoum

Banned
They moved it. They also moved the
Silenced Pistol

Ok good thanks, I'll find it when I find it then lol

Also, I'm looking at the Neuromods tree...

Is Combat Focus an active ability or a passive ability?
The description is not really clear on that...

diaspora

If the "jump scare" music doesn't get toned down later I'm inclined to turn it off entirely. The music in the game generally is fine but the enemy encounter stuff...

Megasoum

Banned
I can't "Transfer Junk" when I'm at the recycler because of a bug on PC when you modify the key binding... This is so annoying.

Stoze

I can't "Transfer Junk" when I'm at the recycler because of a bug on PC when you modify the key binding... This is so annoying.
Really? I have that set to a side button on my mouse and it works fine. You have to hold it down.

Also combat focus is an active ability btw

Megasoum

Banned
Really? I have that set to a side button on my mouse and it works fine. You have to hold it down.

Also combat focus is an active ability btw

Yeah I have "Action" set to Mouse 4 which is a side button... I can open the menu just fine on the recycle but the menu closes if I hit Mouse 4 again.......

Shit....

Now that I think about it... I think Mouse 4 is also used for Backspace in Windows (ie to go back in a browser)... So this might be what kicks me out of the menu.

Edit: Yeah looks like if I swap Mous5 and Mouse 4 then I can transfer junk with Mouse 5... I guess I need to get used to my new binding now!

KingKong

for the Mixed Signals quest, do I really have to have repair 3 to complete it? I don't see any other way which is annoying because repair 1 has been good enough for me

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Redboxed this last night, enjoying the game much more than the demo. Combat is finally starting to click and you upgrade yourself pretty damn quick. About to be at 300 health 4 hours into the game. Hardware labs is also a godsend when it comes to fabrication materials. Walked oit of that place after making 10 medkits, 50 shotgun shells, and over 100 pistol bullets. Also made like 5 weapon kits and upgraded my weapons. Just got the Neuromod blueprint too in Psychtronics.

Khoryos

I found the computer but haven't searched for any numbers, yet. Thanks! How do I know where the location is? Do I have to remember them or do I have to activate something to get a marker?

If you've picked up the relevant maps, they'll be in your data tab in the inventory - but you'll have to figure them out yourself.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Whew lawd just finished it. Took me 12 hours and i took my time with it so not sure how some people get 20 hours out of it.

Edit: In-game says 12 hours, Steam says 15 hours, interesting... anyway the game for me has some really frustrating and annoying parts just to drag the game on for longer and tons of back and forth tracking. Not enough shocking twists, and you just do the same shit over and over again, it gets really repetitivel, by the end i was glad that it was FINALLY over. Beginning to middle part was good then end part was fucking annoying with hard as hell enemies, no ammo, no health... i died a lot.

Both endings were okay, funny thing is i predicted this before starting the game.

8/10

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
In Psychotronics, just past the Material Extraction room, does anyone know what's up with that
Grounding Resistor
on the floor? It's shining but it's not something you can collect.

Mash83

Whew lawd just finished it. Took me 12 hours and i took my time with it so not sure how some people get 20 hours out of it.

Edit: In-game says 12 hours, Steam says 15 hours, interesting... anyway the game for me has some really frustrating and annoying parts just to drag the game on for longer and tons of back and forth tracking. Not enough shocking twists, and you just do the same shit over and over again, it gets really repetitive. Beginning to middle part was good then end part was fucking annoying with hard as hell enemies, no ammo, no health... i died a lot.

Both endings were okay, funny thing is i predicted this before starting the game.

8/10

Not looking forward to that....

Im just getting to Psychotronics but combat so far is my least favorite part.

On the other hand Im glad its there because I hate games where the only option is to run.

Im definitely having fun so far.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just copy-pasting my review from Steam.

Absolutely amazing modern System Shock which has a lot more incommon with System Shock series than all BioShock games combined and I'm not kidding. If you've played at least System Shock 2 and Dishonored 1 / 2 then you'll be right at home.

Here's just quick pros and cons.

+ + + + + + +

1) System Shock 3 (Not that one).

2) Excellent PC port (yeah, who might thought, surprise!) with minor issues and missing VFX options, which I'm sure will be fixed / added soon via upcoming patch or something). The game runs great in 1440p all maxed on 4790K, 16 GB RAM and 1070.

3) Amazing art and design. Ah, if only this game had Ansel support and ability to turn off UI and Objective markers.... I would screenshot the hell out of this game.

4) Surprisingly really good gunplay and really cool and creatively made weapons and gadgets, some of which is crucial to you survival on a space station when dealing with enemies.

5) Really cool enemies each of which is extremely more powerfull and dangerous (not to mention that some enemy types has multiple versions than the ones you meet in the beginning of the game), some of them you simply can't kill with normal or even with exotic and experimental weapons, so you need to actually think and find a best way to kill them (goddamn you Technopaths).

6) You need to think, A LOT! You can't just go and kill everything in this game cuz chances are that this "everything" is more likely will kick your ass instead multiple times and make you cry like a bitch! Every enemy in this game has a weakness and to kill an enemy you need to learn it. It's really cool and a lot more interesting than in bog-standard FPS. And I know, you also need to think in bog-standard FPS games, bit not even remotly like in System Shock games or in new Prey game. The recipe for killing enemies in bog-standard FPS games is very simple - you just shoot to kill and nothing more (well, sometimes you also use cover, strafing a lot etc.), where as in Prey you need to learn how enemy behaves, learn its weakness and use it in the most effective way, but guess what, this is not that simple in Prey which is also its HUGE plus. So it's not like you can just learn the weakness, learn how enemy behaves and that's it, job's done. Nope.

7) Deep, meaningfull and really cool skill system and abilities with zero useless stuff. There's like 3 basic trees of abilities which you get in the beginning of the game with a ton of stuff to upgrade, but later on you'll get additional 3 trees with even more interesting stuff (and additional abilities in one of the basic trees) which is just overwhelming, but in a good way. Also, this means that you can't learn and upgrade everything (not to mention that some of these trees actually have an impact on gameplay and the world of the game, but I won't spoil anything) and this adds a lot to replayability of the game. Also, it's not like you just get 3 additional trees with abilities, you'll get 3 additions trees with hidden abilities which you need to uncover buy scanning different types of enemies in the game. So, you better work hard, son, if you want to mimic a cup or a toilet!

8) Intriguing, unique and extremely interesting story, characters and setting with alternate history which begins in 1950s. It's like what would've happened if US and Russia is joined forces in 1950s to build a space bridge and space station to explore solar system and space together.

9) Amazingly designed and absolutely gorgeous space station which you can fully explore from top to bottom even in Zero-G! Just remember, its not safe outside!

10) Extremely well done, interesting and compelling world to explore. Just like in the last couple of Deus Ex games, there's more than one or even two ways to get to your objective and if you like Deus Ex and System Shock series - this game is for you!

11) I don't know if it was intentional or if anyone feel or notice this, but this game also has Portal vibes / atmosphere. It's just.... when I properly got out of the first room I immediately thought about Portal. I mean, there's not Portal gun in the game or funny talking turrets (or is it? ^_^) but... yeah, Portal is good, and Prey is good, really good.

12) Intuitive and easy to understand crafting system. If you've played System Shock 2 for example then you'll be right at home, but Prey have much more simple crafting system which you can simply pick up and use right away with zero issues or any kind of deep learning. You just need to find blueprints to actually buid something and use Fabricator.

13) Junk matters! Remember those games full of junk items which can easily fill up your inventory and most of the time you don't know if you gonna need it at some point or not? Well, Prey got you covered! Every single junk item is important in Prey and it is the only way you can get crafting material to build items. All you need to do is collect junk, put it in a Recycler and there you have it, inventory full of useful crafting materials! Simple and brilliant!

14) Great and atmospheric soundtrack. Give me the option to buy it on Steam and in FLAC now!

- - - - - - -
1) No option to turn off UI elements - again, I'm sure they'll add this via future patches, but still, it's sad to see that it is not available at launch.

2) No option to turn of shitty VFX in in-game menu (you need to edit cfg file), plus some of the VFX options is not working properly for now - SSDO and SSR - you need to turn them off in in-game menu completely and then change to Full Resolution and you need to do this every time you launch the game without creating and using autoexec file.

3) Really bad shadows and their overall quality. I'd say it's a hit and miss, sometimes they look okay and other times terrible even on the highest setting available. I mean, come on, Arkane, fix this sht!

4) Visually and when it comes to textures the game is right from 2012-2013 at best. But it's not like it's a huge flaw of the game (it looks amazing thanks to art and overall design)... more like - come on guys, PC can handle 2K and even 4K textures no problemo. You can do better than that.

5) Really bad sound mixing. The ambient sounds abrupting when you enter new room and you can't hear sound from the previous room even when you standing like 2-3 meters away from it. I honestly don't know how you can F it up, but they did. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
This is definitely my GOTY so far and I seriously and highly doubt that any other game will beat it this year - NFW it's gonna happen.

Khoryos

I'm wondering - can anyone playing a male Morgan tell me if (romantic spoilers)
Morgan is always homosexual? I've found multiple references to Morgan having had a relationship with Mikhaila, and to my recollection I've only heard her referred to in voice as Mik - so I'm wondering if they drop the A in a male run and make it a same-sex relationship there too.

In Psychotronics, just past the Material Extraction room, does anyone know what's up with that
Grounding Resistor
on the floor? It's shining but it's not something you can collect.

I carried that damn thing to the end of the level assuming I was going to need it - super annoying!

GHG

Gold Member
If the "jump scare" music doesn't get toned down later I'm inclined to turn it off entirely. The music in the game generally is fine but the enemy encounter stuff...

I've turned the music and sound effects down to 70% in the sound options but kept the voiceovers at 100. It's made things better for me, much less obnoxious.

Chris R

Rented from Red Box... It's fun, but I'm not going to finish it on my PS4. I'm terrible with FPSes and the wrench controls like shit :(

Wanderer5

2017 keeps on giving.<3 So happy that this game is turning out well.

Just arrived at Psychotronics, and it been so much fun. Exploration is sooooo nice as expected, along with taking advantages of some alternate routes to get where I need to go while avoiding some enemies.

Edit: In-game says 12 hours, Steam says 15 hours, interesting... anyway the game for me has some really frustrating and annoying parts just to drag the game on for longer and tons of back and forth tracking. Not enough shocking twists, and you just do the same shit over and over again, it gets really repetitivel, by the end i was glad that it was FINALLY over. Beginning to middle part was good then end part was fucking annoying with hard as hell enemies, no ammo, no health... i died a lot.

8/10

I'm at 14 hours with tons of sidequests still left... just heading to the
scan the coral
how longer do I have?

Varna

Not looking forward to that....

Im just getting to Psychotronics but combat so far is my least favorite part.

On the other hand Im glad its there because I hate games where the only option is to run.

Im definitely having fun so far.

Not seeing this at all. Playing on Nightmare and have gunned every obstacle so far except one. That was only because I literally had no ammo left after going around exploring. Honestly had forgotten all about stealth up until that point.

You might have to make creative use of cover and skills, but this game doesn't leave you feeling as vulnerable as say, RE7.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm at 14 hours with tons of sidequests still left... just heading to the
scan the coral
how longer do I have?

puh maybe 40 minutes? it depends on your playstyle ofc but IIRC there isn't much left in the main story.

Kadin

I'm blown away how well they handled [spoiler of a mechanic in the game]
flying around in space. I mean, it works so damn well that I was just floating around everywhere not wanting to go back in. I have to imagine I missed out on a good bit of stuff but had to get back to my mission!

puh maybe 40 minutes? it depends on your playstyle ofc but IIRC there isn't much left in the main story.

Gotcha. I have a huge laundry list of sidequests still and more keep coming. So much to do if you want. Ill probably see the end and then go back to a prior save.

7) Deep and meaningfull skill system and abilities with zero useless stuff. There's like 3 basic trees of abilities which you get in the beginning of the game with a ton of stuff to upgrade, but later on you'll get additional 4 trees with even more interesting stuff (and additional abilities in one of the basic trees) which is just overwhelming, but in a good way. Also, this means that you can't learn and upgrade everything (not to mention that some of these trees actually have an impact on gameplay and the world of the game, but I won't spoil anything) and this adds a lot to replayability of the game.
Four more?

You get another after the Typhon abilities ones?

I forget his name but is that guy you are supposed to find in GUTS for a side quest glitched? I have searched high and low and it shows he is like 15m from me but there is no way to get to where it says he is.

nvm i googled his name is Josh Dalton and there is a video I can follow.

I'm blown away how well they handled [spoiler of a mechanic in the game]
flying around in space. I mean, it works so damn well that I was just floating around everywhere not wanting to go back in. I have to imagine I missed out on a good bit of stuff but had to get back to my mission!

Yup. That stuff controls so well and
has perfect physics. It's probably the best implemented zero-g stuff I've seen in a game, physics and controls are spot on.

ISee

Already posted?

From NXGamers PREY:Technical analysis & performance PC/PS4/XboxOne:

inputezxoz.jpg

Some notes:
- an i5/970 combo is enough for 1080p/60/max. CPU load is surprisingly high, can reach 70-80% load on all cores in some areas.
- Xbox One, PS4 hold 30fps
- no Ps4Pro improvements
- Texture quality is slightly higher on PC
- Console shadow quality is somewhere between high and medium
- Console AA is more effective, but the game looks slightly more blurry

i love the freedom of the game. i'm enjoying the hell out of just exploring and finding all sorts of things.
and the fact that you can, navigation-wise,
spacewalk around the space station to various airlocks
is amazing.

bigjig

Really glad to hear it ended up good after the rough demo. Will pick it up sometime down the line after I'm finished with Nioh

Lijik

Unfortunately... like Fallout 3 hacking and repair seem pretty pointless. There seems to always be a way to bypass these things.

as someone who fucking hates dealing with the corrupted operators more than the other enemies (theyre able to follow me most anywhere in an area, and tend to be in groups which inevitably leads to 2-3 spitting flames in my face if i alert one) being able to gloo them down and hack them to leave me alone has been absolutely invaluable. Lvl 1 repair has also been handy to have for whenever i find a busted recycler instead of having to backtrack.

nynt9

This game is... incredible. The sequence breaking it lets you do is off the charts, and with a little bit of exploration and thinking you can achieve so much. This may be the best immersive sim since Deus Ex... the first.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Someone spoiler this for me: is there any sort of tie in to the original Prey? Any hints of anything? Or is it legitimately 100% unrelated?

Top Bottom