• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

chrixter

So NPC bodies can disappear when you leave and reload an area, even if that NPC is carrying a quest item. I noticed this during the
Treasure Hunt
side quest. The quest items aren't marked on the map so I looked online for the location of one I was missing and went back to an area to pick it up off an NPC's body, but in fact all bodies had disappeared from that area. I reloaded a save from before I had left that area and the body was there with the quest item. Playing on PC.

Dunno if the quest item gets moved elsewhere in that case. Bummer if you can lock yourself out of completing quests since many of them are absolutely worth seeing through.

peakish

Spot the difference
E65FDBB105BEBDA81187F333129786B82223FE8E

I bought Prey yesterday on a whim despite not really following the development and I'm impressed so far, at the moment I'm using turrets a lot because the Mimics are surprisingly strong and I'm not used to the combat yet but I imagine there's no 'right' way to play it, correct?

The angle of how the pistol is held would not shoot where the crosshair is. It's really obnoxious to me lol.

I don't want to use the pistol because of it. Just looks and feels bad.

i don't need to worry about jump scares when i've got my good old
whatever the goggles are called that spot mimics and stuff

Natural

About 8hrs in, liking it so far. Playing on Hard and it feels like the right difficulty level - not really hard, but challenging enough that I can't just run into fights against multiple things. I've got about 20 neuromods sitting there which I should really use but just need to choose what I want to focus on skill wise.

I don't really understand the locate crew objectives when you check the computer records. So you go on the computer, check where they were last at, go there and find their body and.. that's it? I get why if another objective needs you to find someone but apart from that - what use is it?

I don't really understand the locate crew objectives when you check the computer records. So you go on the computer, check where they were last at, go there and find their body and.. that's it? I get why if another objective needs you to find someone but apart from that - what use is it?

other than the quests that ask you to find someone like you mentioned, people sometimes have useful loot on them

Stoze

i don't need to worry about jump scares when i've got my good old
whatever the goggles are called that spot mimics and stuff
Except when you stroll confidently into a room because you think you scanned everything, but you missed the Mimic and then get spooked even worse
Can help you find people who are still alive, bodies/people for quests, bodies you just want to seek out that are mentioned in notes/emails, acts as a measure of exploratory/looting completion, and overall just helps cement the space station as a believable place where all these people worked and thrived.

Truant

Anyone know where I can find the password to the terminal in Alex' office?

Edit:

Crew Quarters quest spoiler
The quest where you synthesize Danielle Sho´s voice was fantastic. I thought it was gonna be a normal fetch quest, but having you learn about her relationship with Abigail was heartbreaking. I also loved the way it interconnected with the fake cook quest. Finally seeing Danielle (alive!) floating in space outside the window was such a cool moment. Really impressed by this quest.

Really enjoying this game so far :D

Hah, this is a fantastic idea!

I am still early (don't even have that mimic scanner yet ) , but I try to roll with 2 turrets everywhere I go . Lots of running back and forth and the fireball dudes annihilate them but there excellent for mimics and just giving you a slight helping hand

Shari

Anyone else play this game like me and just constantly carry turrets everywhere I go and deploy them at every door

I was doing this until I left an area for a minute to activate a lift and when I came back my turrent was broken and the area had 2/3 phantoms spawn from thin air.

I think the turrets are useful to clean the area you are currently on but they're useless for passive defense and I think this is intended so you don't have the feeling of taking back the station section by section.

It's brilliant to be honest. You can plan enough to go through the area but not enough to take it back.

Gothos

Question about the quest Who is December and it's part in Crew Quarters:

I'm in Alex's room and I'm supposed to look for escape key there. Any hints? Scoured every inch of it and can't find anything there...

d00d3n

Yup!

But the turrets I brought to the firebomb Phantom, it just swatted them away like flies! XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xbY_Y16ENw

I used a single turret to beat the same combat encounter. It was set up right outside the door leading into the area. I kited both phantoms through the door and stunned them with goo while the turret was working on them. Both phantoms died (well, to be honest one fled with minimal health left, so I had to finish him off) and the turret lost 50% health.

Speaking of turrets, has anyone found the perfect spot to deploy the turrets when you continue with the main quest? Will the turrets fire on enemies below if I deploy them on the balcony outside Morgan's office? Hmmm, or is it ultimately better to set up a kill room where the turrets are completely covered and you can trick enemies into to be killed?

Foxxsoxx

So after the cargo hold quest I got massively lost because the quest markers wouldn't point me in the right direction afterwards....

Didn't know if I needed to backtrack to the outside or what. Not going to lie that was pretty annoying. Having or not having quest markers is fine but not having them work sometimes is frustrating AF ):

It wouldn't have been so bad but every single quest marker in space pointed me towards a locked door. I don't even know if I can backtrack.

P.S. just in case anyone is having trouble with a certain turrets in the cargo hold.
you need 4 turrets on the text on the ground near the doors. I tried strategically placing them and one didn't count, and the NPC kept telling me I needed one more turret, so I searched for another damn turret for 30 minutes thinking I needed 5 until I realized and moved one turret another centimeter to activate it.

Skrams

I just spent 2 hours fucking around in space. There's a fucking lot to do. The ability to just go, "Is that a thing?" then proceeding to fly towards it is a great feeling. I encountered some enemy type on the far reaches who seemed like he was small until I actually got up close. It's that kind of crazy thing I love. Also I'm not sure what their name is yet, but whatever enemy type is out there with the electric orbs? I still hate them. I can only kill them by
just zapping them with the stun gun over and over.
Too bad I ran out of ammo so I couldn't explore one last part out there.

Also found a new gun and mission item for some quest I don't have.

And a boost jump chipset.

d00d3n

forget turrets, i carry around explosive canisters wherever i go, lol

This is a good idea, although you have to save some canisters to blow up heavy objects blocking puzzle paths (unless you wasted neuromods on the redundant "lift heavy objects" skill)

In the security offices where you can check for signs of life on the computer and add to your objectives, do you only need to go where there may be someone alive?

Skrams

This is a good idea, although you have to save some canisters to blow up heavy objects blocking puzzle paths (unless you wasted neuromods on the redundant "lift heavy objects" skill)

I never thought to use canisters to blow up those Leverage 3 Blockades. That's pretty neat. I still don't think Leverage is useless though. There's a lot of places that are made much easier with leverage. Some places require you to get up in the rafters of a ceiling and if you don't have a super jump or don't want to deal with how janky foam jumping is then Leverage makes it easier. Also just being able to move things instead of having to find a canister is you know, a bit easier.

In the security offices where you can check for signs of life on the computer and add to your objectives, do you only need to go where there may be someone alive?

I'm not far enough to have found a "Nominal" life pattern. Those life sign trackers exist on a few computers to help you find every alive or dead body in the station. It's just a smart and neat way to have the player be able to discover places they haven't been or bodies with useful materials they missed. Makes sense in the universe too even.

aravuus

Man, something is not right with this (crew quarters) "
Will Mitchell
" guy. First living, non-brainjacked human I find and it's this fucking weirdo.

d00d3n

I never thought to use canisters to blow up those Leverage 3 Blockades. That's pretty neat. I still don't think Leverage is useless though. There's a lot of places that are made much easier with leverage. Some places require you to get up in the rafters of a ceiling and if you don't have a super jump or don't want to deal with how janky foam jumping is then Leverage makes it easier. Also just being able to move things instead of having to find a canister is you know, a bit easier.

Yeah, maybe not useless, but completely redundant in the two first areas of the game (at least). I am sure that it is convenient to have the skill instead of using goo and canisters for everything, but I don't think it should be a priority if you are power gaming and save scumming yourself through the game. I think the skill can be used to throw objects at enemies to damage them, so maybe for that reason I guess?

RodzTF

Is there a day one update (PS4) for this? May pick it up today but don't have broadband in my new place until Wednesday

Stoze

Leverage is also awesome for combat- I've seen leverage 3 object throws do like 135 damage a hit and then knock out the alien for easy damage if they aren't already dead. Also you can snipe the shit out of aliens with it in zero-g because thrown objects move in a straight trajectory there.

edit: I've also found hidden loot a couple times under heavy objects, and it's helpful for moving stuff together to make an optimal recycler charge use.

nOoblet16

Hmm. Strange. I have finished all the parts of the December quest, but I still haven't gotten the password. I even have the key for
the espace pod.
It's not really strange, you get it later. Game asks you to go to previous locations all the time.

Does radiation sickness never wear off?? Don't think I'm anywhere near a med operator and this stumbling about is starting to get a bit annoying

munroe

Leverage is also awesome for combat- I've seen leverage 3 object throws do like 135 damage a hit and then knock out the alien for easy damage if they aren't already dead. Also you can snipe the shit out of aliens with it in zero-g because thrown objects move in a straight trajectory there.

edit: I've also found hidden loot a couple times under heavy objects, and it's helpful for moving stuff together to make an optimal recycler charge use.

Quite possibly a bug, but if you throw a leverage 1 item at say a leverage 2 or 3, it'll move it, saves having to spend the points in leverage 2 and 3

Does radiation sickness never wear off?? Don't think I'm anywhere near a med operator and this stumbling about is starting to get a bit annoying

The game tells you what you need to cure it, either an operator or rad medicine, if you have the fabricator plan create it

I was completely out of ammo while traversing the GUTS. Killed a few phantoms by carrying turrets around, completely ran out of spare parts. :lol

Found the formula for shotgun shells, though. Time for Morgan to go on a RAMPAAAAAAAGE.

Can somebody who already finished the game tell me how far I am?

I just got to Alex' office and now the board has entered the station. I get attack by a couple of attackbots after this whole sequence plays out.

Moff

Would it be amiss to say this is the best immersive sim since like...STALKER? I don't think even the new Deus Ex games or Dishonored gave you the freedom and trust in the player's abilities that this does.

I don't agree
deux ex HR/MD and Dishonored 1 and 2 all have much better gameplay, more interesting abilities and better enemies than Prey, especially the latter is a glaring weakness of prey. Deus Ex dishnored are also both perfectly playable stealth games if you choose to play them that way. Prey doesn't really offter that, the stealth mechanics are too limited for that.

Dishonored 2 has straight up the best level design I have ever seen in a game, no question for me. and the deus ex games have much more interesting ways to interact with the levels. This is mostly because much in Prey is sidequests based and through that needs keycards, which limits freedom a great deal. You also get plenty of nanomods in prey, you can't get them all, but that doesn't really matter, because especially many of the alien abilities are really uninteresting. Its not a problem to get all of the abilities that let you interact with the leveldesign.

the strengths of Prey are that it has a very believable space station you can interact with from inside and the outside including believable characters. I don't think I ever cared about characters as much in an immersive sim like with Prey. That is definitely what stuck with me after playing them.

It's a great game, but I think the Deus Ex/Dishonored games were a bit more impressive.

Question about the quest Who is December and it's part in Crew Quarters:

I'm in Alex's room and I'm supposed to look for escape key there. Any hints? Scoured every inch of it and can't find anything there...
Pick up the thing (I think it was a vase?) on his nightstand.
Can somebody who already finished the game tell me how far I am?

I just got to Alex' office and now the board has entered the station. I get attack by a couple of attackbots after this whole sequence plays out.
I'd say around 85%.

aravuus

How many main missions are there? In spoiler tags, obviously. Would be nice to be able to keep track of how far in I am.

iFirez

Made it to G.U.T.S. Loving the game so far. I want to know more about the aliens, every bit of new information about them seems like a tease at something greater.

Tovarisc

The angle of how the pistol is held would not shoot where the crosshair is. It's really obnoxious to me lol.

I don't want to use the pistol because of it. Just looks and feels bad.

You may want to overcome that disdain for weapon that is little off the center because it's in Top 2 of most powerful weapons in the game. Basically your only mid to long range option.

aravuus

The pistol also takes too much space on the screen, to an annoying extent. Same actually goes for probably every gun in the game, which is why I'm usually running around with the wrench.

Top Bottom