• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

I love the build up of this game and the mystery. But I have about 10 hours into this game, in the middle of the quest for Dr. Calvino and still wondering about something in the early parts.

The twist in the beginning, finding out that you're in a simulation and the apartment is fake and everything. Still lots of questions left.

Not a whole lot of games bring mystery that well. Great stuff!

Skulldead

Get the schema to buy upgrade, Have a shit load of exoctic... after like 10... the machine jam, sidequest mini spoiler
alex block the production....
. i don't know why but at this moment i was like, this game is freaking amazing feeling.

Luke_Wal

This game looks fun! I've been on a real BioShock kick lately, and I'm considering diving into this after I finish Minerva's Den and Dishonored. Approximately how long is it?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I missed an early weapon- can someone point me to where the
q beam
Is? (I'm currently up to
The arboredeum

Skulldead

I missed an early weapon- can someone point me to where the
q beam
Is?

when you go outside space the first time , to get the doctor keycard, you need level 2 repair to repair the hatch right tere. go back inside on second floor then proceed, i think the place is call hardware lab or something like that

ymgve

So NPC bodies can disappear when you leave and reload an area, even if that NPC is carrying a quest item. I noticed this during the
Treasure Hunt
side quest. The quest items aren't marked on the map so I looked online for the location of one I was missing and went back to an area to pick it up off an NPC's body, but in fact all bodies had disappeared from that area. I reloaded a save from before I had left that area and the body was there with the quest item. Playing on PC.

Dunno if the quest item gets moved elsewhere in that case. Bummer if you can lock yourself out of completing quests since many of them are absolutely worth seeing through.

I think the NPC thing happens when you save someone from the
Telepath enemy.
They then show up on security terminals as "safe" and disappear on the next load into the area.

pa22word

Game is great so far, but man, the sound mix is so damn bad. How can it be this bad?

Welcome to every bethesda game for the past half decade or so.

I legitimately don't get it. Like it utterly blows my mind that they keep having this problem. Why? What's causing it? The old explanation was that it was an idtech problem, but here comes Prey on Cryengine and the same old fucking shit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Welcome to every bethesda game for the past half decade or so.

I legitimately don't get it. Like it utterly blows my mind that they keep having this problem. Why? What's causing it? The old explanation was that it was an idtech problem, but here comes Prey on Cryengine and the same old fucking shit.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if the Bethesda QA standards bylines has sound mix in the "wishlist polish" category and they just say "good enough" and approve games with 100s of sound mix bugs.

I nearly have a panic attack every time every time I come within 30 feet of a radioactive barrel and music befitting the coming of Satan plays.

aravuus

Since I had an absolute shit ton of materials but couldn't craft neuromods, I decided to go nuts with ammo crafting.

c25b86c82b.jpg

Probably enough to take care of the rest of the game's enemies.

GHG

Anyone else explored the
volunteers quarters
?

Got the door open and it was pitch black so I was hesitant about going in there but then it was fine until I found the power switch through the bathrooms. Turned it on and then realised I wouldn't be able to get back out because of the current flowing through everything so switched it back off and exited... Then I had the scare of my life as out of nowhere there's some telekinetic mimic kicking my arse.

Managed to kill it with a few rounds of shotgun but WTF was that?

This game is amazing.

Game keeps surprising , just as I wished you could sort employees in the computer crew listings I realise you actually can if you click the column to sort.

Love the little things like this it doesn't throw in your face

Skrams

Anyone else explored the
volunteers quarters
?

Got the door open and it was pitch black so I was hesitant about going in there but then it was fine until I found the power switch through the bathrooms. Turned it on and then realised I wouldn't be able to get back out because of the current flowing through everything so switched it back off and exited... Then I had the scare of my life as out of nowhere there's some telekinetic mimic kicking my arse.

This game is amazing.

Yeah, that shit was top spooks.
It's also invisible to boot which was a bit terrifying. I just took care of it by whacking it with a wrench.

Also I used a combination of moving some items and climbing on the rafters to avoid electricity.

munroe

Anyone else explored the
volunteers quarters
?

This game is amazing.

I created a little path with the gloo gun to get past the electricity

d00d3n

Get the schema to buy upgrade, Have a shit load of exoctic... after like 10... the machine jam, sidequest mini spoiler
. i don't know why but at this moment i was like, this game is freaking amazing feeling.

I just did 10 neuromods in a row and the machine didn't jam. It is the eleventh then? Didn't have to resources to get another, unfortunately ...

GHG

Yeah, that shit was top spooks.
It's also invisible to boot which was a bit terrifying. I just took care of it by whacking it with a wrench.

Also I used a combination of moving some items and climbing on the rafters to avoid electricity.

I created a little path with the gloo gun to get past the electricity

Ah ok, I think I need to go back and rethink things then. I keep forgetting how versitile the goo gun is.

Sleeper hit of the year.

M.W.

The combat is pretty clunky. Hell, I wish there were no enemies in the game. Everything else is good.

So I have an objective to access the G.U.T.S. in psychotropics but I can't proceed because it says I need that scanning device , yet I've scoured everywhere and still not seen it. What room is it in?

In Dr Calvin's workshop in the second video you see him putting something inside a shelf, or seems to be a shelf or something. This happens after Okabe leaves. Totally expected something to be there when I went over to that spot. But.....nothing? Awww.

Skrams

In Dr Calvin's workshop in the second video you see him putting something inside a shelf, or seems to be a shelf or something. This happens after Okabe leaves. Totally expected something to be there when I went over to that spot. But.....nothing? Awww.

There is something there. Make sure to read his emails on his computer if you need another clue.

I think in the same area you can find the thing to unblock that. I feel like the two were right next to each other so I never ran into that problem.

Read his emails and pay a little more attention to the video..

taoofjord

About 4 hours or so in. Just got to
Psychotronics
. As a massive fan of immersive sims, including Arkane's Dishonored, I'm unfortunately just not feeling this game. More than anything, it just feels very by the numbers. The story is pretty uninteresting so far, the atmosphere hasn't really captivated me, the enemies don't creep me out. There's a lot of recycled assets (seemingly way more than Dishonored had, it never bothered me there) and the environmental story telling has been very predictable.

I don't know, I'm pretty sad about it and did not expect to feel this way. I fucking love Dishonored 1 and 2 as well as Thief, System Shock, Deus Ex, and Bioshock. Anyone else feel this way? Does the game get more interesting soon?

OBias

Anyone else explored the
volunteers quarters
?

This game is amazing.

I turned on the power, saved the game, loaded it the next day - lights were on, but the water current somehow glitched and disappeared.

Anyone else having problems with loading on PS4? Going between major areas is taking so long I wonder if the game is frozen. Watching a loading bar that hasn't moved in a few minutes right now, something similar happened with a black screen last night but it finally loaded.

PS4 Pro, patched.

OBias

About 4 hours or so in. Just got to
Psychotronics
. As a massive fan of immersive sims, including Arkane's Dishonored, I'm unfortunately just not feeling this game. More than anything, it just feels very by the numbers. The story is pretty uninteresting so far, the atmosphere hasn't really captivated me, the enemies don't creep me out. There's a lot of recycled assets (seemingly way more than Dishonored had, it never bothered me there) and the environmental story telling has been very predictable.

I don't know, I'm pretty sad about it and did not expect to feel this way. I fucking love Dishonored 1 and 2 as well as Thief, System Shock, Deus Ex, and Bioshock. Anyone else feel this way? Does the game get more interesting soon?

4 hours, and you are that far? Were you just running through everything without exploring and reading all the notes and mail? Perhaps you need to slow down to enjoy the game properly.

taoofjord

4 hours, and you are that far? Were you just running through everything without exploring and reading all the notes and mail? Perhaps you need to slow down to enjoy the game properly.

I'm not sure what my actual playtime is. It says 7.5 but it seems to keep running while paused and I had it paused for a while yesterday.

Regardless, I take it SUPER slow in immersive sims and explore everything thoroughly. I'm always on the very high end of completion times for the genre. So rushing is not my problem.

So after hating everything I saw about this game (preview streams, demo streams, those 'I got to play this for an hour with the devs! posts', I ended up buying it on Friday.

See, I'm cautiously optimistic for the new Alien movie atm, and wanted to slake my thirst for some humie v xeno space survivally stuff. Alien: Isolation is one of my favourite games, I have a deep affinity for the System Shocks, BioShock 1, Deus Ex etc.

First impressions after an hour or so: Overall, it's a very well made game. Interacting with the environment is effortless - maybe a little too effortless. There are scares to be had, but more in the BioShock style than Alien or System Shock. Weapons are fantastic. I can't think of any other game that gives you a
nerf gun
in the midst of an alien outbreak. And not a little bit of nostalgia for Half-Life was felt when I picked up the wrench after donning my special suit.

So yea, it's pretty good.

munroe

So I have an objective to access the G.U.T.S. in psychotropics but I can't proceed because it says I need that scanning device , yet I've scoured everywhere and still not seen it. What room is it in?

right hand toilets, there's a hole in the floor

There is something there. Make sure to read his emails on his computer if you need another clue.

I think in the same area you can find the thing to unblock that. I feel like the two were right next to each other so I never ran into that problem.

Read his emails and pay a little more attention to the video..

Well, damn. I'm starting to feel stupid. I watched the video several times now, checked all the screens too.
He seems to be drinking and the emails are about a mug and scale. In the video I see him placing that thing he drinks from on the scale. But I can't find this item. I also tried placing other items on it but it really seems to require that one item. It should read 170 but no matter if anything is on the scale or not it always says 229.....

Nevermind, found it. This is a really cool touch.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Can somebody tell me where i can find the blueprint for the suit repair kit? I am constantly running short of them :/

RuhRo

Does this feel like Deus Ex, in the sense of having dynamic, populated hubs, with non-combat areas to explore and non-violent solutions to problems and NPCS to talk to, rather than just kill? Or is it more like Dishonored in that the levels are just combat/stealth sandboxes lined up one after another?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hey gaf I need some help.

Can anybody playing provide me a couple screen shots for a review? My bone for some odd reason deleted/files got corrupted :-(

Just need a capture of the title screen and some gameplay.

PM me for the email.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

DevilsClaw1991

Neo Member
So is it just me or is the game really though. I'm about 5 hours in, playing on normal and died about 50 times already. I guess it is also due to the slow controls? Playing on PS4 btw

Top Bottom