• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Didn't get too far last night, but the XBO has some severe screen tearing and lag, especially in regards to
Looking Glass
stuff. It's not a common occurrence, but it has reminded me of pre-patch Titanfall​ on the occasions it does.

Edit: To clarify, severe is within the instance, not the frequency. I've only encountered two instances of screen tearing within what may be the first hour, and is only to triggered consistantly in an area of maybe a couple of square feet that hardly anyone will linger around.

What's the point to the crew log thing in the security room? Like what's the point trying to find every dead or alive human? Just wondering if its worth it or not?!

DeaDPo0L84

dlc isnt working on ps4 digital version even though it still list it as included. Really sucks, may wait to advance until I hear back from sony.

DOWN

Banned
The graphics seem a bit weak on PS4. There's something off about lighting and shadowing, especially AO

Tovarisc

Playthrough on Hard complete, took me 30h according Steam and save file data.

Enjoyed game a lots, but it got little cheap at the end there and ending could have been stronger. It was interesting ending by all counts, but just felt... lacking in a way. I also found game to be easy after first few hours as amount of resources snowball so hard that you never run out of anything.

Would recommend to people.

Anung

Un Rama
The graphics seem a bit weak on PS4. There's something off about lighting and shadowing, especially AO

I hope they patch in some extra graphical stuff in or a pro performance patch because the art style is this games saving grace as visually it's nothing special.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I love the GLOO Cannon.

prey-2017-laser-time-gameplay-5.gif

Moff

What's the point to the crew log thing in the security room? Like what's the point trying to find every dead or alive human? Just wondering if its worth it or not?!

there are some sidequests that make use of this feature, I would not recommend simply looking someone up randomly, many are in locations you can't reach.

Ok so this is a just a little spoilery but I want to post this in case others run into the same game halting glitch I did.

Later in the game there is a mission you get
REPOMAN
to go after a NPC
field officer Kaspar
If you kill a certain other NPC before you do that mission and the mission states that NPC is outside on Talios 1 exterior (this can change depending on various factors) the mission marker will not show and trying to find this thing is like a needle in a haystack. I luckily had a save before I killed the other NPC, loaded it up and the marker showed me where this NPC for the mission is. I loaded my latest save and went to that location, boom, there it was, even without the marker. Crisis averted and I can finally progress. I took screenshots of the location in case that itself isn't random.

http://imgur.com/gallery/HrDqd

Meffer

For those who played Dishonored 2, would you say you're enjoying more this one or D2, and why? I loved D2 and I'm sure I'll grab this one once I'm done with Persona 5, but I'm curious to know about about the differences between the two titles and which one people are enjoying more
D2 had some amazing levels but the tense atmosphere here is really good.

Meffer

This game looks fun! I've been on a real BioShock kick lately, and I'm considering diving into this after I finish Minerva's Den and Dishonored. Approximately how long is it?
Going through the main story I heard is around 14 hours. Doing side quests and exploring everything takes longer.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Didn't get too far last night, but the XBO has some severe screen tearing and lag, especially in regards to
Looking Glass
stuff. It's not a common occurrence, but it has reminded me of pre-patch Titanfall​ on the occasions it does.

And there goes my purchase of the game.

To be clear, this happened maybe in two instances noticeably. There's some lag during some dialogue scenes as well, but overall the game seems to run smooth outside those instances.

I'm​ not far enough to gauge whether or not the rest if the game makes up for those instances of technical shortcomings (still within the first hour probably), but I am enjoying it currently.

That said, I'd love it if this game saw some development attention on the Scorpio. Doubtful since there isn't a Pro mode, but the game has the potential to deserve it.

CamelCloud

So during the "Do No Harm" sidequest,
when you're about to do the evaluation test to discover your own evaluation, the monitor is stuck on "Please Wait" for me, any way to fix this?

EvB

Looking Glass

I can't say I've really noticed.
I did see it dipping near looking glass areas, but it's non buggy. Certainly nothing like Titanfall's tearing.
I'm on Xbox One S

DeaDPo0L84

Its incredible how so many are praising the game and yet all it took for you to make your purchasing decision was one person vaguely mentioning screen tearing and you swear the game off.Basically with that mentality you never had any intentions of buying the game in the first place.

Anyone else explored the
volunteers quarters
?

Got the door open and it was pitch black so I was hesitant about going in there but then it was fine until I found the power switch through the bathrooms. Turned it on and then realised I wouldn't be able to get back out because of the current flowing through everything so switched it back off and exited... Then I had the scare of my life as out of nowhere there's some telekinetic mimic kicking my arse.

Managed to kill it with a few rounds of shotgun but WTF was that?

This game is amazing.

I ran back into the room and
turned the power back on. I'm pretty sure it shocked and killed him but it was hard to tell. Either way, no more spooky guy.

I did see it dipping near looking glass areas, but it's non buggy. Certainly nothing like Titanfall's tearing.
I'm on Xbox One S

The Titanfall type tearing occurred when
breaking out of the apartment.
Anytime going near that glass (on the apartment side, not the control room) caused severe screen tearing on the upper quarter of the screen.

Framerate dips so far have only been noticeable during some dialogue in
the testing rooms
and the same instance mentioned with the screen tearing.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Its incredible how so many are praising the game and yet all it took for you to make your purchasing decision was one person vaguely mentioning screen tearing and you swear the game off.Basically with that mentality you never had any intentions of buying the game in the first place.

"severe screen tearing" isn't "vaguely mentioning" anything.

Performance issues such as these are no buys for me, even if I'm interested. I don't support poor performance titles.

Is there any point to have duplicate weapons in your inventory? I noticed I had 2 wrenches and 3 Gloo guns. Also how do you recharge your stun gun?

Performance issues such as these are no buys for me, even if I'm interested. I don't support poor performance titles.

I don't notice any but then again I play with v-sync on and the game runs very smooth even at very high settings, not very demanding at all.

100% agreed. Because first of all I've yet to notice any screen tearing. I did have some bad framedrops when I was outside Talos but so far that has been the only times and it's only for mere seconds.

But to miss out on this absolutely fantastic game because of some screen tearing here and there would be ridiculous and a shame. Most of the time the game has been smooth as butter here. Xbox version.

Because there is only few of them overall and they spawn at random outside of quest rewards.

Ah I see. Good to know!

I really like the optional stuff in this game and it makes the game world all the more believable. These optional quests aren't very long or anything but they definitely are meaningful and add to the overall experience.

From
Derelict space shuttles to a area with escape pods and you can actually go in there and explore and read up on things or help other people out.

Man there's a lot here.

I'm on Xbox One S

The Titanfall type tearing occurred when
breaking out of the apartment.
Anytime going near that glass (on the apartment side, not the control room) caused severe screen tearing on the upper quarter of the screen.

Framerate dips so far have only been noticeable during some dialogue in
the testing rooms
and the same instance mentioned with the screen tearing.

While I agree that it's ridiculous to discount a game entirely from a couple instances, there's some here who have been quite defensive and dismissive to others over the game between the input lag (haven't noticed it myself) and now this. Personal enjoyment isn't going to be lessened by others sharing technical issues.

I mean, if Digital Foundry puts up an article talking about those things, what then? And given we're on a board with a lot of members who refuse to play 30≥ fps titles (or so they say), I can see someone not wanting to bother with a game that has screen tearing.

But again, this was a couple of instances early on that seemed to occur in specific conditions rather than an inherent issue that's a constant throughout. The Titanfall comparison is specifically to the severity of those instances, rather than frequency. I'd also point out that most would probably rush quickly through that part than pause, so I'd venture that it wouldn't be noticeable outide of a second or so.

nOoblet16

Btw if you come across the 4chan plot leak then don't read it, it's all true.

I actually took a guess where the story was gonna go super early in the game, then I read the 4chan leak and it confirmed my suspicions but I didn't know if it was true as it seemed way too convenient but 70% of the game in and I've found everything that was in that leak to be true.

Right now, around 3-4 hours In and i'm dying constantly - the enemies are suddenly harder to deal with for no good reason. I'm probably sucking at the game, but at the same time the game has done a terrible job of explaining its mechanics to me aside from the standard basic fps controls.

It's frustrating, because the combat in this game is balls (just like Dishonored) but I quite like the rest of it, even if i've yet to stumble across an original idea.

The "severe" is contained within the instance of it, not frequency. Given it has only happened in that small space, I doubt it's going to be an overall issue.

And the fps dips aren't bad (outside that same part) and have only been noticeable in some NPC interactions. Game runs well outside of those.

munroe

Have any of you checked out the achievement art, some of them are really nice. I like it when devs put some effort into the artwork.

Also I agree to if some one doesn't buy the game purely because of some screen tearing then you probably werent going to buy it anyways. Your loss, it's a great game

kaskade

I'm only playing the demo right now but the screech scares with the mimics are pretty annoying. It makes me jump sometimes but having it happen so often is a big turn off, just feels kind of cheap.

iammeiam

Mid-to-late-game-question: How scripted are the encounters with the
Nightmare? I've run into it once in the lobby when getting off the elevator, and just reloaded and didn't take the elevator back. I've run into it again in the Crew Quarters but just started the timer and exited the area to wait it out, which seems to have worked.

Is it just a random chance every time I switch zones from now on?

Top Bottom