• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

saunderez

On the negative side, to me it seems the new patch introduced some judder. On 1.01, I feel like G.U.T.S and Arbotetum were smooth, but running around those areas post-patch seems worse, somehow.
Smooth as butter for me. But I'm all AMD (Ryzen 1700 and 290) so it may be a NVIDIA specific bug.

XBO version is running noticeably worse for me today, from bad frame drops to texture loads taking longer. I wonder if this is due to the system powering on with the game still suspended to be resume, as that has been occurring more often.

Feel like I'm reaching the end, with only
Life Support and Power Plant
left to explore. Still a few hanging side quests I need to push out as well.

munroe

XBO version is running noticeably worse for me today, from bad frame drops to texture loads taking longer. I wonder if this is due to the system powering on with the game still suspended to be resume, as that has been occurring more often.

Feel like I'm reaching the end, with only
Life Support and Power Plant
left to explore. Still a few hanging side quests I need to push out as well.

Probably still got a third of the game left to go

Man are those phantoms meant to just destroy you at the beginning? I encountered one when I first got to the Talos lobby and it wrecked me. I was freezing that guy with goo as fast as I could and he still just murdered the shit out of me. I just left that boy alone and went upstairs to my office because fuck that

One thing I love about this game is the layout. The whole station is so easy to navigate. I don't thing I've ever gotten lost in my 16 hours of gameplay.

Man are those phantoms meant to just destroy you at the beginning? I encountered one when I first got to the Talos lobby and it wrecked me. I was freezing that guy with goo as fast as I could and he still just murdered the shit out of me. I just left that boy alone and went upstairs to my office because fuck that
The beginning of the game seems to encourage sneaking over combat. Eventually you'll find better weapons and have an easier time with combat.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Put in about 8 hours into the game now and I think I'm just gonna give up on this one and return it to Gamefly. Not once in those 8 or so hours have I had fun with the combat system. I really like the setting and the story seems rather interesting but when the combat is so bad, I can't really force myself to continue playing.

Thought for sure I was going to like it more since I loved Dishonored so much.

Oh well.

[edit]

Also, this game has maybe the worst enemy types I have played in a really long time. They're all so goddamn awful.

mxgt

Banned
Put in about 8 hours into the game now and I think I'm just gonna give up on this one and return it to Gamefly. Not once in those 8 or so hours have I had fun with the combat system. I really like the setting and the story seems rather interesting but when the combat is so bad, I can't really force myself to continue playing.

Oh well.

What version are you playing on? I really like the combat on PC, very fluid and responsive. The vids I've seen of the PS4 version with that input lag seem like a nightmare dealing with the fast moving mimics.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What version are you playing on? I really like the combat on PC, very fluid and responsive. The vids I've seen of the PS4 version with that input lag seem like a nightmare dealing with the fast moving mimics.

PS4

And yeah, imput lag is a major issue for why the combat feels so sluggish. Everything is jumping all around me and teleporting and I'm over here spinning around hoping I catch them. Huge pain in the ass.

So is there a way to be able to play V 1.0 of Prey on PC?

I tried setting it to only update when I launch on steam, then uninstalling and reinstalling and then going offline.

But when it reinstalls, it seems to reinstall with the patch.

anyway to install just the original game?

Stoze

PS4

And yeah, imput lag is a major issue for why the combat feels so sluggish. Everything is jumping all around me and teleporting and I'm over here spinning around hoping I catch them. Huge pain in the ass.
fyi PS4 got a patch 5 hours ago that fully fixes input lag apparently, may have not updated/installed if you were playing.

One thing I love about this game is the layout. The whole station is so easy to navigate. I don't thing I've ever gotten lost in my 16 hours of gameplay.

The beginning of the game seems to encourage sneaking over combat. Eventually you'll find better weapons and have an easier time with combat.
That sucks I just want to blow these guys away

Is ammo scarce once you get weapons? Also what is the enemy respawn like

That sucks I just want to blow these guys away

Is ammo scarce once you get weapons? Also what is the enemy respawn like
Don't worry. Once you learn the weaknesses of the different enemies and get better weapons (the shotgun especially) you'll have no problem blowing them away :). As for ammo, it's pretty scarce for the first few hours, but you'll eventually be able to craft ammo at the crafting stations so it becomes a bit more manageable.

Enemies do respawn but only as you progress through the story.

Oh well.

[edit]

Also, this game has maybe the worst enemy types I have played in a really long time. They're all so goddamn awful.

I'm in the exact same boat.

Firstly, the engine is just fundamentally mediocre at handling anything that resembles standard FPS gameplay. Off acceleration, input lag, annoying movement speeds, weird animations, etc. Gunplay just feels like an afterthought. I instinctively quick load when a firefights break out.

Secondly, enemies behave in a way that's incredibly unsuited to what you can do in a combat scenario. Fast-moving mimics, warping phantoms, projectile attacks that take 75% of your health... I mean, it makes zero sense that I would approach two mimics with more panic/apprehension than I would a phantom - and it's because I know I'd be fighting with imprecise controls and enemy movement that just seems unfair. A seriously limited arsenal doesn't help either.

Thirdly, everything else that makes for great shooting mechanics are average at best: recoil, feedback and sound are all middling and offer little satisfaction.

And finally, dealing with enemies through stealth becomes extremely rote and banal (albeit still decently enjoyable). The AI is exploitable and options are limited. Proceedings for me had devolved into sneaking up on enemies and shotgun-blasting them for huge bonus damage. It was satisfying, but it didn't feel great.

I did play the game for 10 or so hours, though, so it does some things excellently. Art style, world building and level design are all fantastic and immerse you thoroughly.

It's definitely a good game at the end of the day. I just wish the gameplay loop was a bit more polished/enjoyable.

I love the fact I carry a lemon in my pocket just to toss it on the ground whenever I need to mimic it.

When life gives you lemons...become the lemons.

How close to the end am I?

I'm about 12-14 hours in, and I just reached
life support, after the turret ambush section where you wipe out a bunch of phantoms with the survivors.

I'm in the exact same boat.

Firstly, the engine is just fundamentally mediocre at handling anything that resembles standard FPS gameplay. Off acceleration, input lag, annoying movement speeds, weird animations, etc. Gunplay just feels like an afterthought. I instinctively quick load when a firefights break out.

Secondly, enemies behave in a way that's incredibly unsuited to what you can do in a combat scenario. Fast-moving mimics, warping phantoms, projectile attacks that take 75% of your health... I mean, it makes zero sense that I would approach two mimics with more panic/apprehension than I would a phantom - and it's because I know I'd be fighting with imprecise controls and enemy movement that just seems unfair. A seriously limited arsenal doesn't help either.

Thirdly, everything else that makes for great shooting mechanics are average at best: recoil, feedback and sound are all middling and offer little satisfaction.

And finally, dealing with enemies through stealth becomes extremely rote and banal (albeit still decently enjoyable). The AI is exploitable and options are limited. Proceedings for me had devolved into sneaking up on enemies and shotgun-blasting them for huge bonus damage. It was satisfying, but it didn't feel great.

I did play the game for 10 or so hours, though, so it does some things excellently. Art style, world building and level design are all fantastic and immerse you thoroughly.

It's definitely a good game at the end of the day. I just wish the gameplay loop was a bit more polished/enjoyable.

Are you playing on console? I'm on PC and I feel like the enemies were designed for you to be able to aim and turn on a dime, they sometimes push the limits on how fast I can track them during fights and I could definitely imagine that I'd feel frustrated if I was triyng to aim with a gamepad. I'm having much more fun with the full game on PC than I was with the demo on xbox (despite the xbox demo not having the input lag problem that the PS4 demo did). Being able to push 60fps probably helps with the fights too because a lot of enemies jerk around or teleport quickly.

saunderez

Are you playing on console? I'm on PC and I feel like the enemies were designed for you to be able to aim and turn on a dime, they sometimes push the limits on how fast I can track them during fights and I could definitely imagine that I'd feel frustrated if I was triyng to aim with a gamepad. I'm having much more fun with the full game on PC than I was with the demo on xbox (despite the xbox demo not having the input lag problem that the PS4 demo did). Being able to push 60fps probably helps with the fights too because a lot of enemies jerk around or teleport quickly.

I'm playing the PC version with a 360 controller because I'm an idiot and yeah...it's hard to keep up with them. Which is why the Typhon abilities are so great - slow down time while you aim, hit them with something that stuns them or knocks them back, then take your time finishing them off with guns or wrench or whatever.

Skulldead

Just finish it, i don't remember the last time i played a game that 180 degree like that. First couple of hours, walks slow, explore, get upgrade, manage ammo,manage inventory, backtrack to unlock new thing that was impossible to get, use gloo gun to get hidden place, use arrow to unlock doors, etc etc. Feel like like i was a survivor in a spaceship. Then ->

Get last neuromod upgrade mouvement with jetpack upgrade thing and RUN, just run to destination, backtrack 6 times to the same area just to do do a freaking useless sidequest. Ennemies ! nop just run everything will be fine. The sense of danger just vanish, i also played on nightmare, and nothing make me feel in any danger in a any time during the last 5 hours. It's like the game became something else, the enemies feel dangerous at the start, in the end here a shotgun blast, dead ! I even finish the game with like 30 neuromod, i don't even know how to spend them, i was already steamrolling everything.

Went from a freaking amazing game to a generic boring fps..... this is sad.

noodalls

For interests sake, I had a look at input lag. Note, these are done on the demo versions, and if it has been patched out in the retail version this won't apply.

I had heard people complaining about input lag, and even though I normally look at fighting games, I was curious to see if I could find a difference.

X1
https://twitter.com/noodalls/status/864442620407185408

PS4
https://twitter.com/noodalls/status/864443103003820032

Basically, these are two sequences shot off screen at 60fps. The controller, low input lag screen (BENQ RL2755) and everything else is the same. The red LED at the bottom turns on in the second picture, and this is when the command is starting.

The X1 responds on the 10th image (5th frame at 30fps) and the PS4 on the 14th (7th frame at 30fps). So, my finding is the X1 is ~66ms faster than PS4.

Wow the controls are really different in the ps4 patch now! Its almost too snappy now! I started to get used to the moving in oil feel... at least combat should be way easier now in tight quarters

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow the controls are really different in the ps4 patch now! Its almost too snappy now! I started to get used to the moving in oil feel... at least combat should be way easier now in tight quarters

Now that they've fixed the input lag, they need to put the deadzone back to normal (or let us adjust it).

The combo of zero deadzone and zero input lag is too much.

That said, I can now easily take down a hidden mimic with the pistol. Before I would shoot it then flail with over aim when it started jumping around due to input lag. Now I can easily get a bead on them.

noomi

Currently at the 25 hour mark and I still haven't even been to the Shuttle Bay or the Talos Bridge, I imagine the main story will eventually take me there. Still cleaning up side missions and am currently on the main mission where you are supposed to
watch a video in Alex's office in the Arberterum

Well you sold me.. I'll be picking it up this weekend

Awesome, you will not be disappointed :D

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk, is this game hard or am I doing something very wrong? I'm only playing on normal but I always find myself in situations where I have little to no ammo or resources, no HP and a big fucking monster or two in my way. It wasn't like this until maybe 5 hours in and then after that it's tripled in difficulty. I know I'm missing the Q-Beam weapon (I got the plans for it but haven't been able to make it yet) but surely that can't be the reason I'm struggling so much?

EDIT: Like now, I've just encountered
The Nightmare, I have nothing that can scratch its balls let alone kill it and running away leads me to another 20 monsters.

Tunahead

Real talk, is this game hard or am I doing something very wrong? I'm only playing on normal but I always find myself in situations where I have little to no ammo or resources, no HP and a big fucking monster or two in my way. It wasn't like this until maybe 5 hours in and then after that it's tripled in difficulty. I know I'm missing the Q-Beam weapon (I got the plans for it but haven't been able to make it yet) but surely that can't be the reason I'm struggling so much?

The Nightmare, I have nothing that can scratch its balls let alone kill it and running away leads me to another 20 monsters.

It will be a bit easier when you get a piece of tech that lets you scan Typhon for weaknesses, but in the meantime it's worth noting that most of the basic enemies become a lot more vulnerable and immobile if you gloo them to the floor. That's when you wrench or shotgun them. Sneaking is also a viable strategy. It all depends on where you've been investing your neuromods.

The big talls are fairly easily defeated by vents and doors with lockdown mechanisms.

So um not hearing too many good things from the patch besides the lag fix. Is there a way to prevent it from working on Ps4 if patches are set for automatic download? Or am I just screwed. Or can I delete Prey and just download the 1st patch?

On a side note I'm nearing the end of Guts after I finish exploring the powerplant. How far am I in the game?

You can find a Q-Beam in hardware. How are you fighting enemies? Are you going head first or planing out your attacks? I don't think I far and it could change, but I'm drowning in ammo and med kits. Also try to utilize turrets for support fire.

psychotron

I'm on XB1 and have purposely been avoiding the Arboretum because of the supposed item stealing inventory glitch. I decided to go the other way and explore cargo bay and life support. Somehow I just stumbled upon the escape pods too. I think it's only a matter of time before I'm forced to go to the arboretum to advance the story. I hope they patch this shit.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It will be a bit easier when you get a piece of tech that lets you scan Typhon for weaknesses, but in the meantime it's worth noting that most of the basic enemies become a lot more vulnerable and immobile if you gloo them to the floor. That's when you wrench or shotgun them. Sneaking is also a viable strategy. It all depends on where you've been investing your neuromods.

The big talls are fairly easily defeated by vents and doors with lockdown mechanisms.

I have that and I'm scanning everything. I have the most trouble with the
special phantoms
and
telepaths
. I just beat the bit I was on by literally standing AFK for 3 minutes until it ended, great design.
I've just hit Deep Storage, the quests leading up to entry (finding the voice fragments)
were so much harder than anything before it and it hurt my enjoyment of the game, some games I play for the challenge (Dark Souls) but ones like this I play for the story, the journey and I feel this is very overtuned for normal difficulty.

I hit the same catalyst last night, but I'm about 11 hours in (Crew Quarters area). Over the past several hours of gameplay I could comfortably craft ammo, health, and use force to takedown enemies. I used up some of my more valuable weapons on some hard enemies, and now I'm scrounging for pretty much everything, attempting to sneak by tougher enemies, paying more attention to environmental opportunites, etc... but it makes the game so much more fun and interesting to play this way... this is the kind of challenge I WANT out of a game like this. I was worried for awhile that the game was going to be too easy, but I feel like the ramping challenge counter-balances the use of inventory EXTREMELY well once you hit the mid-point of the game.

I'm on XB1 and have purposely been avoiding the Arboretum because of the supposed item stealing inventory glitch. I decided to go the other way and explore cargo bay and life support. Somehow I just stumbled upon the escape pods too. I think it's only a matter of time before I'm forced to go to the arboretum to advance the story. I hope they patch this shit.

You can go check out the shuttle bay area. And from life support you can head to the power plant.

mujun

It is hard. Especially if you are not patient (like myself). I was hoping for combat more like Bioshock.

That being said, run away. I guess that you are in the Arboretum? That place is a pain in the ass in terms of how many enemies there are and how much chaos it becomes when you get into combat.

I ran away and went to my next destination. A bunch of enemies actually followed me but I hid and they returned to their patrol routes. There are plenty of places to hide and nothing wrong with progressing a little. You'll hit an area with heaps of resources in no time.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I hit the same catalyst last night, but I'm about 11 hours in (Crew Quarters area). Over the past several hours of gameplay I could comfortably craft ammo, health, and use force to takedown enemies. I used up some of my more valuable weapons on some hard enemies, and now I'm scrounging for pretty much everything, attempting to sneak by tougher enemies, paying more attention to environmental opportunites, etc... but it makes the game so much more fun and interesting to play this way... this is the kind of challenge I WANT out of a game like this. I was worried for awhile that the game was going to be too easy, but I feel like the ramping challenge counter-balances the use of inventory EXTREMELY well once you hit the mid-point of the game.

Yeah for me it just makes me regret buying it, dying over and over just isn't enjoyable to me. The game started off as a high 8, maybe 9 but now it's a 7 at best because I'm not having fun. It's starting to feel more like Alien Isolation which I didn't enjoy for the same reason. I play all my games on normal and this is unusually hard.

EDIT: Like now, I have a thermal phantom and technopath literally standing at the computer I need to access, I have nothing to lure them away, nothing to kill them with and 30hp, what can I possibly do to progress?

So um not hearing too many good things from the patch besides the lag fix. Is there a way to prevent it from working on Ps4 if patches are set for automatic download? Or am I just screwed. Or can I delete Prey and just download the 1st patch?

Goddamnit guys, don't rain on my 'fuck yeah input lag fixed let's go buy the game' parade!

Goddamnit guys, don't rain on my 'fuck yeah input lag fixed let's go buy the game' parade!

Yeah it looks like the frame rate is not as stable as it was... I can take the input lag as I got used to it. Granted I haven't tried it out yet but people here and on reddit are talking about these issues.

nkarafo

What are the most useless neuromod skills in your opinion? I just want to know where to not invest so i can narrow my options a bit.

mbpm1

I have that and I'm scanning everything. I have the most trouble with the
special phantoms
and
telepaths
. I just beat the bit I was on by literally standing AFK for 3 minutes until it ended, great design.
I've just hit Deep Storage, the quests leading up to entry (finding the voice fragments)
were so much harder than anything before it and it hurt my enjoyment of the game, some games I play for the challenge (Dark Souls) but ones like this I play for the story, the journey and I feel this is very overtuned for normal difficulty.

The voice fragments?
Wasn't that just finding audio logs?

What are the most useless neuromod skills in your opinion? I just want to know where to not invest so i can narrow my options a bit.

Leverage, Impact Calibration, Pulverize, Toughness, Stamina.

Personally I do not need any of these. It really depends on your play style though. Are you going guns blazing or methodical?

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Beat it Sunday. Around 13 hours clocked in. I'm definitely gonna play it again later in the year on a harder difficulty. This year is just one good game after another and I love it!!

Accidentally played this for over two hours last night, just exploring and doing random stuff. Went back to the starting area and went to the Volunteer Quarters:
Walking through the quarters in the dark with a dying flashlight was tense as fuck. Atmosphere was great, and then when the Polyergiest attacked when I turned the lights on? Hooooooooly shit.

I'm always the kind of game player that intentionally avoids going the right way in order to explore as much as possible. I'm trying even harder to avoid the right way in this game. I'm having so much fun exploring everything.

Accidentally played this for over two hours last night, just exploring and doing random stuff. Went back to the starting area and went to the Volunteer Quarters:
Walking through the quarters in the dark with a dying flashlight was tense as fuck. Atmosphere was great, and then when the Polyergiest attacked when I turned the lights on? Hooooooooly shit.

I'm always the kind of game player that intentionally avoids going the right way in order to explore as much as possible. I'm trying even harder to avoid the right way in this game. I'm having so much fun exploring everything.

You don't even have to try to avoid the main story. I end up going down some random hall and I just find a new area. This game makes it so easy to ignore the main story.

eXistor

Finished it yesterday after about 35 hours. Such a great game. I saw the (potential ending spoilers ahead)
twist at the end coming miles away though, called that a few hours into it.

These kind of games really are my favorite types of games and Prey is proudly among the better ones. I love how the game and its world just "are". Here's this lovingly crafted place and you as the player gets dropped and are set loose in it. Very little handholding, just you and your abilities. Just lovely. I mean the game isn;t perfect. PS4 has insane loading times and there's a lot of backtracking, which I don't mind in and by itself; it's part of the design, but having a minute-long loading screen every couple of minutes as you traverse the station is a bit much. Also towards the end the backtracking becomes more forced which is a problem for obvious reasons.

But really, my complaints are few. Like Doom last year, this is exactly the kind of game I hoped it would be but didn't expect it to be.

I've been trying to avoid guides and find him on my own. Took me all night but finally found him. There must be a lot of people going crazy trying to find him.

Recorded it here: https://youtu.be/atJP1IDCzMY

Yeah fuck that guy, also at the end
Kaspar. The one time I wanted to use the objective marker and it's useless, had to look up where he could potentially spawn, he was at the last possible location for me

Top Bottom