• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

v0mitg0d

I've been trying to avoid guides and find him on my own. Took me all night but finally found him. There must be a lot of people going crazy trying to find him.

Recorded it here: https://youtu.be/atJP1IDCzMY

For new page bc damn that body is hard to find lol.

Beat it Sunday. Around 13 hours clocked in. I'm definitely gonna play it again later in the year on a harder difficulty. This year is just one good game after another and I love it!!

Did you focus on humar, alien or a mix? I'm considering a Hard playthrough focusing on Alien powers next.

You don't even have to try to avoid the main story. I end up going down some random hall and I just find a new area. This game makes it so easy to ignore the main story.

Yeah. I actually accidentally progressed the main story twice because I was just exploring randomly and found what I was supposed to be looking for and skipped the middle step. It's really nice how they don't handhold you - they give you just enough info and then let you loose.

But really, my complaints are few. Like Doom last year, this is exactly the kind of game I hoped it would be but didn't expect it to be.

I think this and Doom are a great pair of games that illustrate how first-person shooter games can be soooo different that the typical COD-two weapon linear path. I'd love to have a Bioshock Infinite follow-up where I could explore Columbia like Talos I and have the same skill tree setup and freedom.

Yeah for me it just makes me regret buying it, dying over and over just isn't enjoyable to me. The game started off as a high 8, maybe 9 but now it's a 7 at best because I'm not having fun. It's starting to feel more like Alien Isolation which I didn't enjoy for the same reason. I play all my games on normal and this is unusually hard.

EDIT: Like now, I have a thermal phantom and technopath literally standing at the computer I need to access, I have nothing to lure them away, nothing to kill them with and 30hp, what can I possibly do to progress?

Some ideas on how to deal with your situation:
Perhaps set up some turrets and craft/use a typhon lure to move the phantom and technopath?
Get some recycle charges, which can do a ton of damage and also provide raw materials.
Can you do what you need to do on the computer via the nerf gun?
At the very least, you can go off and do sidequests, scavenge for materials to craft a medikit and ammo, and you'll most likely find some loot.
Mimic an item in your inventory and roll/sneak past the enemies to your computer terminal... combo that with a typhon lure...
Just go explore somewhere you haven't been yet to get more items/loot.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
For new page bc damn that body is hard to find lol.

Did you focus on humar, alien or a mix? I'm considering a Hard playthrough focusing on Alien powers next.

Mostly human, the only Typhon abilities I used were morph and the AOE attack. I'm definitely going to focus on Typhon abilities next playthrough since that seems to be the stronger route.

I've run into a huge progress stopping glitch at the end of the game and was wondering if anybody has any idea how to fix it?
I can't save Dahl during his quest. Once the huge typhoid shatters the Arboretum I'm told to carry Dahl to the med bay there. When I do nothing happens, if I leave the area it says that he dies and I've got no saves from before the event triggers.
I can continue without doing the quest but then it feels like I've ruined my entire playthrough.

Just met a character that has the terrible skin condition called Vitiligo. I find this interesting cause in not many games, if any have I ever seen people with that skin condition. It's nothing groundbreaking or anything but quite rare I guess is the right word.

Acorn

Just beat it...
piss poor payoff,
i destroyed the station and escaped on a shuttle. Got a leaving cutscene and that's it..
Edit oops...eh stay after credits for real ending.

Just met a character that has the terrible skin condition called Vitiligo. I find this interesting cause in not many games, if any have I ever seen people with that skin condition. It's nothing groundbreaking or anything but quite rare I guess is the right word.

image.php

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can I not get back to the
Hardware Labs
? It's on lockdown. I wanted to go get the
Q-Beam Laser
but I can't access it from outside anymore. I'm currently on the quest to get
the turret plans for the captain.

Can I not get back to the
Hardware Labs
? It's on lockdown. I wanted to go get the
Q-Beam Laser
but I can't access it from outside anymore. I'm currently on the quest to get
the turret plans for the captain.

You need to
reboot the Reactor in Power Plant in order to lift the lockdown

haikira

Saw a post on reddit claiming that 1.02 has resolved the input latency on the PS4.

Anyone here with the PS4 version able to confirm?

munroe

I was doing that, had to turn the difficulty down to easy, going Typhon only is quite hard, as all of the powers that help it like increased psi pool are human

Moff

I arrived in the
crew quarter's
. How far into the game am I?

that really, depends, about 90% of the game opens up as soon as you enter GUTS, which is about a third of the main story.
I'd say crew quarters is about half of the main story, but you could have seen a good 80% of the station at that point. I did when I got to crew quarters.

Frostman

What a fantastic game, I really loved the ending too, it was a great twist. Clocked in at 44hrs and 21mins.

Man I hope we get more games designed like this.

BeeDog

I have a question regarding one area in Power Plant and how to get into a room (minor location spoiler):

In the humongous reactor core room, there is a vent behind a locked door on the top level (in the broken elevator shaft). How do I open this room?
I am trying to find Jean Faure, if it matters. Do I really have to GLOO my way up?

Moff

I have a question regarding one area in Power Plant and how to get into a room (minor location spoiler):

In the humongous reactor core room, there is a vent behind a locked door on the top level (in the broken elevator shaft). How do I open this room?
I am trying to find Jean Faure, if it matters. Do I really have to GLOO my way up?

I did

Zeneric

played prey for 5-7 hours straight last night from 10-12am to 5-6am. got me hooked. fully upgraded shotgun and psychoshock 3 = winner. completed at 15 hours (did most of side quests, not all - i thought some of the side quests just dragged on too much so i end up not bothering to do all. i might if i do another play through on harder difficult with different abilities). i didn't enjoy flying around in the outer space around talos 1; it was too slow and boring; that was the only big flaw of the game for me. and the twisted ending was neat.

performance in prey (pc version) started to suffer at
the shuttle bay
. the performance continued to suffer for bout an hour even after i left
the shuttle bay
. restarting it fixed the performance issue (i was taking a break for 5-10 mins - didn't know restarting it would fix the issue). other than that, an excellent port.

prey has strong legs to continue being sold decently imo to warrant a sequel thanks to it being excellent and positive word of mouth. expect a sequel.

Ardenyal

The controls feel so much better after the patch on PS4. Second playthrough is going to be much more enjoyable after this patch.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Have you noticed any frame rate drops? I don't mind if it's only minor drops or instances.

There is a bit of stutter and tearing introduced, but it is very minor and only in specific areas.

Overall the game is immensely better and more playable on the PS4 now that input lag is gone.

It's also a lot easier now that you can actually aim at things.

nkarafo

Leverage, Impact Calibration, Pulverize, Toughness, Stamina.

Personally I do not need any of these. It really depends on your play style though. Are you going guns blazing or methodical?
I just want to explore as much of the map as possible at a slower pace maybe.

I just want to explore as much of the map as possible at a slower pace maybe.

You don't need leverage. You can actually blow up explosive canisters to move large objects. The others I mentioned are basically combat mods. Make sure you get mimic as soon as you can. That allows you to get to many different places.

bosseye

I've just noticed that although your own torch doesn't cast real-time shadows, picking up a lantern it does. I'm always disappointed when your torch doesn't cast shadows, so it's a bit odd that one source does and the main source doesn't.

Ah well. Input lag seems to be gone after the latest patch too.

You don't need leverage. You can actually blow up explosive canisters to move large objects. The others I mentioned are basically combat mods. Make sure you get mimic as soon as you can. That allows you to get to many different places.

I realized before I took leverage 3 that I could just pick up and throw level 2 items into the level 3 stuff and knock it out of the way 95% of the time, saved me a lot of mods I would've used otherwise early

BeeDog

32 hours in and still feels like I have quite a bit left.
I just got the mission to scan the Coral and have done quite a few side-quests
. Do I have a few hours left?

Gotta say, this is by far one of the very best games I've played in a long, long time. It feels like a perfect blend of the new Deus Ex games, BioShock, Dishonored, and even older RPGs such as Gothic & S.T.A.L.K.E.R with some good persistent environmental/world state changes and Alien: Isolation for the
Nightmare
. Aside from some crashes and minor bugs, plus the judder in the latest patch, this is a perfect fit for my taste.

bosseye

Odder and odder. This hand lantern here makes certain objects cast real-time shadows, but this identical one doesn't. Weird.

I'm that guy in threads always saying how lame video game stories are. The less the better, fuck Uncharted 4, etc. But Prey has been the very rare exception. The dialogue, characters, setting, mysteries, story moments, etc. are all really adding up to be something special to me. Even moreso than other games in this genre. It's familiar territory, but everything is handled really well and I'm actually intrigued.

I hope it has a tight ending.

Edit: How many endings are there?

ISee

There's a post-credits scene.
edit: nevermind you saw it

I'd say about 40% into the story

that really, depends, about 90% of the game opens up as soon as you enter GUTS, which is about a third of the main story.
I'd say crew quarters is about half of the main story, but you could have seen a good 80% of the station at that point. I did when I got to crew quarters.

Yeah thanks. I'm actually exploring a lot and doing side quests.

robin2

Hurling gigantic objects into monsters, dealing insane damage and literally blowing them far away, is immensely satisfying.

void666

Banned

It was a cool detail.
I've never seen people with vitiligo in any form of media. Be it ads, tv, movies, video games.

Instro

Just out of curiosity on the escape pod side quest,
was it possible to stop January from killing December? I was thinking maybe if I killed January beforehand, assuming that is even possible.

And yes I'm not even in GUTS yet, and I've had this game since launch lol. I can't do more than an hour or 2 at night, too intense. Clearing out the nueromod division was rewarding though.

Top Bottom