• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

pelican

Just left the crew quarters and about to go into deep storage.

Without spoilers how far am I approx. through the main campaign? I'm taking my time exploring and doing side quests, but it would be nice to know.

heringer

Gotta say, the Gloo gun + shotgun combo isn't working very well for me against phantoms. I make short work of them with the pistol, though.

kliklik

Banned
So I just started playing on PS4 with patch 1.02 and the imput lag is fine, waaaay better than what I experienced in the demo for sure

But my character is slowly moving on its own, like its sliding very slowly sometimes, really annoying stuff. Is that a common issue? (My controller is fine and in the Demo I had no issues like this)

Ya I got WAY more stick drift after the patch. I didn't have input lag before 1.02. Can we uninstall the patch?

Gotta say, the Gloo gun + shotgun combo isn't working very well for me against phantoms. I make short work of them with the pistol, though.

Stun gun works really nicely on phantoms.

FelipeMGM

Performance on my base PS4 is really bad right now, everytime I use the shotgun my framerate goes to shit

Ya I got WAY more stick drift after the patch. I didn't have input lag before 1.02. Can we uninstall the patch?

Man, and I waited for this patch to come out to buy the game. This perfomance issues are really taking me off this sometimes, and Im not one of those who is nitpicky with this stuff

Rizzi

How many turrets do I need
to make for these survivors people before I can get the door code? Literally got six turrets sitting in front of that door and the stupid bitch still goes "No turrets, no door code"
Getting a little annoyed.

Sotha_Sil

Beaten.
My main complaints are about the pace [I know, it's mostly up to you, but still...] and the aesthetics, too much tied to BioShock style.
For the rest, is the best immersive sim since the original Deus Ex, no contest.

Comments like this make my wait until I get back to the US even harder. This is one of the only 2017 games I was interested in... having to wait an extra month is killer.

From everything I've read in the reviews and more importantly impressions from fans of the genre, it's exactly the type of game I want.

OBias

to make for these survivors people before I can get the door code? Literally got six turrets sitting in front of that door and the stupid bitch still goes "No turrets, no door code"

Put them closer to the door, there should be a square painted on the floor I think.

I got in with three. You need to place them in the area marked on the floor. When I placed the first one the objective changed to say I need to find two more.

Tearing was already in, though a rare occurrence. Would hate if it occurs more frequently as the frame rate is getting quite bad at times as it is.

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of videogames but reading that a patch makes a game run shittier baffles the hell out of me. How does this actually happen?

The fact that drifting is still an issue is also baffling. I mean don't these people test this before it all goes back out and go 'there's still something wrong here?'. As a layman, the way this game's patches and performance issues, PS4 specifically, have been going down is pretty weird to me.

SomTervo

How does Chris Avellone write so much?
Just finished the game and really enjoyed it. Def picking up Dishonored 2 soon.
Really like the music in the game, especially the band song.

I'm writing for games too and honestly i don't understand how he does it. He mentioned like 16 hour days in the '90s and... He must still be doing that

noomi

Fully modded and upgraded shotgun, with neuromods in security damage boosts = nothing can fuck with me anymore.

Most phantoms are now 2 hit kills.

Sadly a fully upgraded/modded gold pistol pretty much sucks. I've run 80% of the game with a shotgun in my hand. Haven't even really used 'nades or any other weapons :(

I don't think you can uninstall unless you delete the game from your system and stop the patch. But I don't know if you can use your saves on the original unpatched game. Luckily, it's still waiting to install on my system. So I can keep playing the day 1 patch version.

Fully modded and upgraded shotgun, with neuromods in security damage boosts = nothing can fuck with me anymore.

Sadly a fully upgraded/modded gold pistol pretty much sucks. I've run 80% of the game with a shotgun in my hand. Haven't even really used 'nades or any other weapons :(

Really? I always end up using EMP and the stun gun for the Techno guys. They are also able to shut down its groupies. I also use the Qbeam on the Weavers.

mujun

Are they in the loading zone?

For those who have finished the game - how hard is it to complete it without using Typhon powers? I just got to the Arboretum and so far I've only invested in Human Neuromods and am not having much trouble, so I'm thinking about going for that only-human then only-Typhon playthrough trophy.

OBias

For those who have finished the game - how hard is it to complete it without using Typhon powers? I just got to the Arboretum and so far I've only invested in Human Neuromods and am not having much trouble, so I'm thinking about going for that only-human then only-Typhon playthrough trophy.

Not very difficult, human neuromods are pretty good alone. The main concern is ammo, as you cannot rely on psi to deal damage.

Not very difficult, human neuromods are pretty good alone. The main concern is ammo, as you cannot rely on psi to deal damage.

Well I'm a compulsive collector, so ammo hasn't been a problem so far and I've been able to fabricate more supplies pretty easy. Just worried about later enemies being too tough for my current strategies. I may just try and go as long as possible without Typhon powers and just keep some Neuromods in reserve if I get stuck at an impasse.

I'm more worried about an only Typhon power playthrough. No extra inventory space...the horror!

noomi

Really? I always end up using EMP and the stun gun for the Techno guys. They are also able to shut down its groupies. I also use the Qbeam on the Weavers.

I'll usually open with psychoshock or electroshock and then just shotty the enemies down. The only troublemakers for me now are the
military bots
, they take a ton of damage to bring down.

I finished my first playthrough today. I only used human mods/powers. It was still pretty easy especially toward the end when you become a bit OP. I played on normal diff. Maybe its even easier with typhon stuff though.

I got the good ending I think too. So I was pleased. One of these days I will get around to a typhon only run. And then maybe the no powers run.

I'll usually open with psychoshock or electroshock and then just shotty the enemies down. The only troublemakers for me now are the
military bots
, they take a ton of damage to bring down.

Those are 1 hit kills from the stun gun if you get the sneak attack. 2 hits if not a sneak attack. This was on normal with my stun gun maxed out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I can't believe they left their hacky input lag "fix" of making the deadzone on the sticks zero after actually fixing the input lag in the latest patch. I mean, they obviously did a lot of work to remove the input lag, how did they overlook the horrible drift issues they introduced in 1.01?

You only need 3. You need to read the mission objective text.

psychotron

I can't believe they left their hacky input lag "fix" of making the deadzone on the sticks zero after actually fixing the input lag in the latest patch. I mean, they obviously did a lot of work to remove the input lag, how did they overlook the horrible drift issues they introduced in 1.01?

Did they do a lot of work? They turned off vsync, which (I may be wrong) would help with input lag on it's own. Then they left the dead zone setting while making the frame rate choppy. Sounds like crap all around.

My wife saved this game for me. I was losing interest fast. then she sat on the sofa next to me and started getting invested. Normally I would explore, but she would google information for me, like passcodes and keycard locations. We had a lot of fun.

Did they do a lot of work? They turned off vsync, which (I may be wrong) would help with input lag on it's own. Then they left the dead zone setting while making the frame rate choppy. Sounds like crap all around.

Biggest improvement to me in the patch is the hacking minigame is WAAY easier!

Before the patch even completing lvl2 hacking was a real chore and I would fail often. Now even lvl4 is a breeze for me.

Bluth54

Just left the crew quarters and about to go into deep storage.

Without spoilers how far am I approx. through the main campaign? I'm taking my time exploring and doing side quests, but it would be nice to know.

That's about where I'm at right now too and I'm loving this game. I think I'm at 14 to 15 hours played right now.

Pygrus

I've been suspecting since pretty early in the game... can I ask, is the twist that
you aren't Morgan Yu - you are a Typhon that got Morgan Yu's donor mirror neurons and you're in a simulation to test whether they have been successful in introducing empathy to the Typhon.

Hopefully I'm very far off.

Holy shit this was spot on. Looking back it was pretty obvious that
It's a simulation. I just didn't think they would start that the game coming out of a simulation and then end the game the same way. I actually think it was really well done.

Lakitu

st5fu
Anybody else got a glitch during
the Mixed Signals
quest??

Earlier in the game, I repaired the
moon door and got the transistor.
I have no idea what has happened to that item since as it's not in my inventory and I definitely didn't get rid of it. Anyway, the actual quest started for me now and the quest marker leads nowhere and is very random. I looked online and there is supposed to be an exterior satellite outside but there is nothing there for me and no quest marker leads there.

psychotron

Biggest improvement to me in the patch is the hacking minigame is WAAY easier!

Before the patch even completing lvl2 hacking was a real chore and I would fail often. Now even lvl4 is a breeze for me.

Yeah I can't even imagine how bad that must have been. I've only invested in Hacking Level 1 so far, as I've usually been able to find another way into rooms. I think I might up my repair skill though to another level or two.

It's a simulation. I just didn't think they would start that the game coming out of a simulation and then end the game the same way. I actually think it was really well done.

January the bot in one of his random lines of dialog straight up spoiled that it was
a simulation. While you are near him in your office, he says something like "3 weeks is the longest you have stayed in the simulation so far" and I was huh? Did he really drop that bomb

OBias

January the bot in one of his random lines of dialog straight up spoiled that it was
a simulation. While you are near him in your office, he says something like "3 weeks is the longest you have stayed in the simulation so far" and I was huh? Did he really drop that bomb

I think he was actually talking about
the neuromod tests in the Simulation Lab, the ones that you escaped in the beginning

That's your problem. The pistol works great if you use the gloo gun, stun gun, or the correct grenade to stun an enemy first.

Lakitu

st5fu
Anybody else got a glitch during
the Mixed Signals
quest??

Earlier in the game, I repaired the
moon door and got the transistor.
I have no idea what has happened to that item since as it's not in my inventory and I definitely didn't get rid of it. Anyway, the actual quest started for me now and the quest marker leads nowhere and is very random. I looked online and there is supposed to be an exterior satellite outside but there is nothing there for me and no quest marker leads there.

Just to add to this, this is now happening on a main story mission where a quest marker is leading nowhere. What's going on?

You only need 3. You need to read the mission objective text.

Is the
Loading Zone in the main room where the people aren't, or through the main door? I've been trying to carry the turrets through the room with the blue flames coming from the pipes and it's driving me mad!

kliklik

Banned

It was 4 things that got me questioning it (these are all early-game situations but they apparently spoil the end):

If you fly out very far in space, you just die immediately of radiation. I did this because I wanted to see if space was a glass wall. Of course there's radiation in space but it's not this strong. It's almost like they just piled a bunch of radioactive waste behind the glass walls to keep you from getting to them. The reason I first suspected there was a glass wall is because the morality choices (do you save or murder the prisoner with mimics! Are you willing to sacrifice your life to save earth!) seemed very staged and artificial and reminded me of the stilted moral choices in the test chamber (the train and two tracks is a classic hypothetical in philosophy meant to interrogate Utilitarianism.) So it made me wonder if this was all just a test for personality drift.

January puts too much emphasis on how you are human when she talks to the point that it's distractingly noticeable that she's trying to reinforce how she's a machine and you're human. For example, she says something like "...or we will all die. Well, when I say 'we' I mean you. I unlike you, of course, am not human."

The emails between Morgan Yu and that other scientist and recordings talk about how they were considering doing the reverse; introducing human tissue into aliens. The last on the subject was Morgan promising she'd back her but they need to answer two questions: what is the test environment and who are the donors. Prisoners could not be used. And we were already told Morgan volunteered for the experiment she escaped from in the beginning, so it seemed natural that Morgan would volunteer herself for this.

When you first take an alien power (or enter GUTS iirc) you get a flashback. Scientist: "What's happening?" Weird voice: "Don't let them do this to you." Scientist: "It's in shock". IT. They called you "it". You're not human. This was the real giveaway to me that cemented it. Not that I needed convincing after that but you also get a second flashback later that's even more obvious ("You aren't what they say you are" and lookin down to see tentacles and your human hand.)

I was a bit disappointed when I couldn't make it to the glass wall in space. If they let you fly out and tap on it, breaking it down to reveal all the scientists behind, I would've loved the game all the more. They could just have a scientist yell "restart the simulation!" and kick you back to loading screen lol.

I wonder, how many would've tried to fly out as far as they could and smash space? I doubt many would because people accept invisible walls in games without question, even in a game that plays with that concept of artificially limited space.

munroe

Morgan was stuck doing those tests for 3 weeks

ISee

Took me 3 hours to explore and get through
the Crew Quarters
. Didn't kill one single
mind-controlled
NPC. Very cool area, enjoyed the careful planing and exploring a lot there.

Also entered the escape pod with the keycard from alex's room... Are looking Glass windows into other dimensions/possibilities?

OBias

It was 4 things that got me questioning it (these are all early-game situations but they apparently spoil the end):

If you fly out very far in space, you just die immediately of radiation. I did this because I wanted to see if space was a glass wall. Of course there's radiation in space but it's not this strong. It's almost like they just piled a bunch of radioactive waste behind the glass walls to keep you from getting to them. The reason I first suspected there was a glass wall is because the morality choices (do you save or murder the prisoner with mimics! Are you willing to sacrifice your life to save earth!) seemed very staged and artificial and reminded me of the stilted moral choices in the test chamber (the train and two tracks is a classic hypothetical in philosophy meant to interrogate Utilitarianism.) So it made me wonder if this was all just a test for personality drift.

January puts too much emphasis on how you are human when she talks to the point that it's distractingly noticeable that she's trying to reinforce how she's a machine and you're human. For example, she says something like "...or we will all die. Well, when I say 'we' I mean you. I unlike you, of course, am not human."

The emails between Morgan Yu and that other scientist and recordings talk about how they were considering doing the reverse; introducing human tissue into aliens. The last on the subject was Morgan promising she'd back her but they need to answer two questions: what is the test environment and who are the donors. Prisoners could not be used. And we were already told Morgan volunteered for the experiment she escaped from in the beginning, so it seemed natural that Morgan would volunteer herself for this.

When you first take an alien power (or enter GUTS iirc) you get a flashback. Scientist: "What's happening?" Weird voice: "Don't let them do this to you." Scientist: "It's in shock". IT. They called you "it". You're not human. This was the real giveaway to me that cemented it. Not that I needed convincing after that but you also get a second flashback later that's even more obvious ("You aren't what they say you are" and lookin down to see tentacles and your human hand.)

I was a bit disappointed when I couldn't make it to the glass wall in space. If they let you fly out and tap on it, breaking it down to reveal all the scientists behind, I would've loved the game all the more. They could just have a scientist yell "restart the simulation!" and kick you back to loading screen lol.

I wonder, how many would've tried to fly out as far as they could and smash space? I doubt many would because people accept invisible walls in games without question, even in a game that plays with that concept of artificially limited space.
There is no point in the glass wall in space because your simulation is more advanced and doesn't require any physical space, it's just some kind of headset. The name is even specified in the ending cutscenes, it's LGV3.5 or Looking Glass version 3.5. You can see the headset being taken off your head too. There is a prototype of this headset in the Calvino's apartment.

munroe

Is the
Loading Zone in the main room where the people aren't, or through the main door? I've been trying to carry the turrets through the room with the blue flames coming from the pipes and it's driving me mad!

It's where the people are, ground floor, in front of a big door, loading bay B I think , there's an area marked on the floor where you need to put the turrets, you also don't technically need to fabricate any turrets, there's a few littered around the area

kliklik

Banned
There is no point in the glass wall in space because your simulation is more advanced and doesn't require any physical space, it's just some kind of headset. The name is even specified in the ending cutscenes, it's LGV3.5 or Looking Glass version 3.5. You can see the headset being taken off your head too. There is a prototype of this headset in the Calvino's apartment.

Ah! I guess that makes sense in explaining how you see yourself as human when you aren't.... still, I wanted to shatter space. :( That would've been an amazing moment.

mbpm1

rExcgcXwB0c.jpg

hawk2025

Super stuck.

I made it all the way through the GUTS tunnel, but the last door required a key card I don't have. I think I looked everywhere around the tunnels -- is it backtracking time to find it somewhere else way before I might have missed?

kliklik

Banned
Super stuck.

I made it all the way through the GUTS tunnel, but the last door required a key card I don't have. I think I looked everywhere around the tunnels -- is it backtracking time to find it somewhere else way before I might have missed?

Did you go into the magnetosphere? There is a dead body floating near the entrance to it. It's in the area of GUTS where the man and woman were having champagne and there are blobs of liquid floating around near a chair.

EDIT: depends on how you're oriented, the entrance is likely on the ceiling.

Top Bottom