• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Do the gloo gun and stun gun work as damage modifiers?

Yeah, the gloo gun does, and I think that stunning them with grenades or the stun gun is a damage modifier too, but I'm not 100% on that. The stun gun and q beam are crazy against certain enemies.

I think they fucked up by giving you the scope later in the game. If you were able to see their weaknesses and immunities right from the beginning it would be easier to understand which weapon is useful for which scenario. I've read a bunch of posts about people just locking into the shotgun because it is obviously powerful right away, but it's inefficient to use up all of your shotgun ammo on something like an operator when you could use the stun gun and wrench just as easy.

Yeah, the gloo gun does, and I think that stunning them with grenades or the stun gun is a damage modifier too, but I'm not 100% on that. The stun gun and q beam are crazy against certain enemies.

I think they fucked up by giving you the scope later in the game. If you were able to see their weaknesses and immunities right from the beginning it would be easier to understand which weapon is useful for which scenario. I've read a bunch of posts about people just locking into the shotgun because it is obviously powerful right away, but it's inefficient to use up all of your shotgun ammo on something like an operator when you could use the stun gun and wrench just as easy.

By the time you get the Psychoscope, you're already 2-3 hours into the game, so where you get it is fine where it is.

I think the problem is that some people treat it as a standard shooter

rExcgcXwB0c.jpg

That's amazing. Also probably my favorite room of the game so far - ingenious little thing to do design-wise.

Excuse me while I run to the local game store with a pack of post-its.

(also, mentioned upthread but
what if one of the "not a mimic" notes was a mimic
)

Oh, while I'm here, small tip regarding the smuggling ring:
turns out the fire alarm panels that hide stuff ARE different from the normal fire alarm panels. So if you don't feel like smacking every single goddamned panel you come across:
There's a red light above all the panels that hide safes.

Lakitu

st5fu
Very very late-game spoilers:
I don't know which to use, the Nullwave that Alex gave me or to destroy the station? Which one is the best ending? There are still crew on board and I don't want them all to die.

I don't know which to use, the Nullwave that Alex gave me or to destroy the station? Which one is the best ending? There are still crew on board and I don't want them all to die.

Did you go the nonlethal route with Dhal? If not, both options have their negatives, I'd say try both, I blew up the station my first time through, then loaded a save to try the other route.

Lakitu

st5fu
Did you go the nonlethal route with Dhal? If not, both options have their negatives, I'd say try both, I blew up the station my first time through, then loaded a save to try the other route.

Yeah,
think I'll try both and I took out Dahl non-lethally aswell.
Thanks!

For anyone who having a bug with
Shipping and Receiving (The one where the quest doesn't complete after eliminating all the Typhon enemies just like I'm having)

I contacted the CM and told me the devs are looking into it and it should hopefully be fixed in the next patch.

Not exactly the ideal response for some, but its better than nothing

BeeDog

Seems I have hit some kind of bug when it comes to tracking people through security terminals. I'm in the Shuttle Bay, trying to find Hunter Hale and Grant Lockwood. But as soon as I leave the area and enter the Talos I Exterior, my people tracking disappears from Objectives. :(

Anyone else experienced this?

Eusis

If it helps,
you can set both up, leaving it to be a completely last minute decision at the bridge. That's what I did but more for the RP reason of "no kill like overkill."

OBias

If it helps,
you can set both up, leaving it to be a completely last minute decision at the bridge. That's what I did but more for the RP reason of "no kill like overkill."
You will only see one possible dialogue out of two between Alex and January though.

Moff

Shipping and Receiving (The one where the quest doesn't complete after eliminating all the Typhon enemies just like I'm having)

I contacted the CM and told me the devs are looking into it and it should hopefully be fixed in the next patch.

I had this bug, did that quest 10 times and it never worked.
I just want to say that this kills a very important npc who not only hands out sidequests but a whole strain of different endings

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've had to stop playing as
The Reactor
area is running at 15fps on low settings, whereas the rest of the game runs at a locked 60fps on very high settings. Google is showing many others with the same problem so it's not my PC. I'm going to play another game and hope they fix it soon so I can continue :/

I've had to stop playing as
The Reactor
area is running at 15fps on low settings, whereas the rest of the game runs at a locked 60fps on very high settings. Google is showing many others with the same problem so it's not my PC. I'm going to play another game and hope they fix it soon so I can continue :/

I had that at the very top level but then it stopped. I think I did a reload as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes. Gloo'ing a Mimic allows you to deal more damage into it. Stun Gun is very useful against corrupted operators

BTW, for those who are interested, here is the trauma system that was cut from the game:
https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/6bmbn5/the_survival_mode_traumas_cut_from_the_game/

One of the PC version's game.cfg files has pl_enableTraumas = 1. I'd say the fact that the cvar hasn't quietly been removed despite being completely non-functional at present (1 is actually the default value) means there's definitely an intention to reimplement the system at a later date.

I just played the beginning of this. I have handgun ammo and shotgun shells, but the only weapon I've found so far is the goo shooter.

I'm sick of smashing these mimics.

I got that bug but didn't want to move on with it bugged like that (and without the achievement for keeping them all alive) so loaded my save from before entering the cargo bay and did it all again, this time waiting to turn on the power until you're told to do so. It worked fine for me there.

My upgraded Q-Beam made that achievement very easy, as soon as the door opened I just lasered everything to death, pfft. Don't even know if the turrets or NPCs really did any meaningful damage I was able to wipe the enemies out so fast.

And that was a good few hours ago... I'm actually at the point where I'm pretty much unstoppable now. My only two alien powers are mimic and Psychoshock (which I've never used as I'm just too powerful with too many resources to really need it), I instead ended up just going all in on the human powers. I think I only have like two human upgrades left and all my weapons are fully upgraded. I'm basically an unstoppable killing machine now and I've found that as such I've started to approach combat much faster and looser. It's pretty fun to jump around and use the jetpack to boost about in a fight, shotgunning everything. The stun gun is also my new best friend with how fast it charges when maxed out and how helpful the stun effect is.

I've still got some exploring left to do before I move on to what I think is getting towards the end of the story (
Have to visit Alex in his office next and I heard people saying to do everything before that
) so I'm probably gonna end up with all human abilities and dip more in to the alien powers soon. Dunno how much I'll change up my playstyle to fit them though, so I may just go more for the passive benefits.

I got that bug but didn't want to move on with it bugged like that (and without the achievement for keeping them all alive) so loaded my save from before entering the cargo bay and did it all again, this time waiting to turn on the power until you're told to do so. It worked fine for me there.

My upgraded Q-Beam made that achievement very easy, as soon as the door opened I just lasered everything to death, pfft. Don't even know if the turrets or NPCs really did any meaningful damage I was able to wipe the enemies out so fast.

And that was a good few hours ago... I'm actually at the point where I'm pretty much unstoppable now. My only two alien powers are mimic and Psychoshock (which I've never used as I'm just too powerful with too many resources to really need it), I instead ended up just going all in on the human powers. I think I only have like two human upgrades left and all my weapons are fully upgraded. I'm basically an unstoppable killing machine now and I've found that as such I've started to approach combat much faster and looser. It's pretty fun to jump around and use the jetpack to boost about in a fight, shotgunning everything. The stun gun is also my new best friend with how fast it charges when maxed out and how helpful the stun effect is.

I've still got some exploring left to do before I move on to what I think is getting towards the end of the story (
Have to visit Alex in his office next and I heard people saying to do everything before that
) so I'm probably gonna end up with all human abilities and dip more in to the alien powers soon. Dunno how much I'll change up my playstyle to fit them though, so I may just go more for the passive benefits.

Uh oh. How does this bug trigger, exactly?
I just reached this part, after rescuing Igwe and going in through the cargo container I saw the guy telling me to come up to the catwalk. Didn't make it there,
fell to the ground and murdered all the phantoms instead, then got past the open flames in the back and turned the power back on. Once I got up to the catwalk I talked to Igwe and Ekaterina, and there appears to be at least one more person to talk to further in. That's where my latest save is.

Uh oh. How does this bug trigger, exactly?
I just reached this part, after rescuing Igwe and going in through the cargo container I saw the guy telling me to come up to the catwalk. Didn't make it there,
fell to the ground and murdered all the phantoms instead, then got past the open flames in the back and turned the power back on. Once I got up to the catwalk I talked to Igwe and Ekaterina, and there appears to be at least one more person to talk to further in. That's where my latest save is.

I'm not sure, it could be turning on the power before she asks you to or it could be something else. If you are hit by the bug and don't have a save you can go back to it's not the end of the world, you can keep going, you'll just miss out on an achievement and the quest might be frozen until you progress a bit more.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Two questions:

1) Is the aliasing bad for anyone else on PC, even with AA turned to max?

2) Is there a way to turn off waypoint markers?

Ilive1up

this game is so damn good. it's challenging as fuck even on normal difficulty but I don't even care.

the space station design actually is really great, and I like when you are in zero g you can kind of get an idea of how it all connects.

I also just started to use grenades and I'm 10 hours in.

This game would be an absolute shoe-in for my game of the year if it weren't for BoTW and Div 2's GM mode. It's so, so good. I'm not even 15 hours into the game yet, either (and I'm taking my sweet ass time)

psychotron

Did you take a look at the utilities for the security computer in the entrance?

I don't remember. I'll have to go back and look around. I navigated through the whole electrified floor room and didn't find anything. The door I can't open is to the reactor I think.

Hit the 10 hour mark and boy, is this game great. I love how it just slowly keeps throwing new stuff at you to keep it fresh.

Loving the exploration and the general atmosphere. I've also grown fond of the UI when interacting with computers and terminals. The recycler too, oh baby, cleaning out my inventory feels has never felt so good.

I'm actually quite engrossed in the world but that's despite the story. I think it's pretty weak, not told particularly well and I've stopped caring about audio logs and emails because most are so dull. I didn't find the initial hook to be enough of a momentum driver and so much of the game feels like you're doing nothing story wise.

I suppose that speaks to the strength of the exploration and level design because it hasn't bothered me much so far.

P.S. the sound mixing sucks.

So I've been considering making a video series of tips and tricks when it comes to fighting enemies or any problems the player might face in Prey. I'm thinking it would help with some people who's having a hard time with certain enemies.

What do you guys think?

I don't remember. I'll have to go back and look around. I navigated through the whole electrified floor room and didn't find anything. The door I can't open is to the reactor I think.

Ah. In that case, you need to
look for Talia in the Coolant Room to get the keycard to the Reactor. If you can't find her, use the security computer

pmunk

Just made it to Arboretum (sp) tonight.

Really damn impressed by this game. Would probably slot it in there directly behind BoTW for GOTY so far.

So I've been considering making a video series of tips and tricks when it comes to fighting enemies or any problems the player might face in Prey. I'm thinking it would help with some people who's having a hard time with certain enemies.

What do you guys think?

Ah. In that case, you need to
look for Talia in the Coolant Room to get the keycard to the Reactor. If you can't find her, use the security computer

Some tricks and tips would definitely be welcome. I'm not struggling too much on normal (it's a good difficulty, just the right amount of challenge) but sometimes it does feel like I'm wasting resources on certain enemies that I shouldn't be.

Just made it to Arboretum (sp) tonight.

Really damn impressed by this game. Would probably slot it in there directly behind BoTW for GOTY so far.

I just got a little past this too. Anyone know how far that is in the game?

I just finished fighting an interesting enemy that had a side-quest pop up with it.

Ohhhhhh boy.

I'm not sure, it could be turning on the power before she asks you to or it could be something else. If you are hit by the bug and don't have a save you can go back to it's not the end of the world, you can keep going, you'll just miss out on an achievement and the quest might be frozen until you progress a bit more.

I seem to have lucked out, because I managed to complete the quest without incident. Seems that whatever it is that causes the bug, turning on the power before the quest asks you to isn't necessarily linked.

Also, boy is it easy if you have a fully upgraded stun gun. That thing is basically my most valuable weapon, arguably even above the almighty shotgun.

Lakitu

st5fu
I finished the game
(and got all three endings, those endings blew my mind)

Amazing game from beginning to end, my GOTY so far. Exploration felt really rewarding, combat and movement felt so good and it has fantastic level design and atmosphere. It's a masterpiece.

My biggest issue is the loading between environments though, it got really really tedious towards the end when you are trying to finish quests. I did everything besides one quest called Mixed Signals which unfortunately glitched out on me. My total play time was 57 hours.

Zocano

I... didn't expect that ending.

I knew *something* had to be up with the "glitches" at the key story points but had no idea if there would be real pay off. I guess there was.

Ivan

I tried the game on ps4 first and it felt very sluggish. Many people told that it wasn't made for controller too.

Now I played the PC version with unlocked framerate on DS4 and it is night and day difference. Not only the input lag is gone and game feels great on a controller, but this is one of the fps games with snappiest aiming acceleration, it feels really good.

I really hope they'll patch the ps4 version somehow.

Anyway, it feels beautiful like this, I'll continue playing it on DS4 on PC.

I tried the game on ps4 first and it felt very sluggish. Many people told that it wasn't made for controller too.

Now I played the PC version with unlocked framerate on DS4 and it is night and day difference. Not only the input lag is gone and game feels great on a controller, but this is one of the fps games with snappiest aiming acceleration, it feels really good.

I really hope they'll patch the ps4 version somehow.

Anyway, it feels beautiful like this, I'll continue playing it on DS4 on PC.

The input lag on PS4 was already fixed in the recent patch. Though according to players, the framerate is somewhat unstable.

Nevertheless, since you're playing it on PC, you're better off.

Top Bottom