• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

ilium

1.03 beta

Further fixes to prevent save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted save games to uncorrupted state.
Items should no longer be incorrectly deleted from inventory or world when changing levels.
Fix for stamina not recovering.
Fix for being unable to repair items.
Player should no longer spawn out of level.
Fabricated weapons are now empty.
Fix for humans incorrectly turning hostile. Hostile humans in lobby will be returned to friendly.
End game credits now always skippable.
Aaron Ingram no longer cowers if spooked by a typhon.
Fix for various problems making changes in the settings.
FOV slider is available in the advanced options menu.

Right on time, just explored pretty much everywhere I could access before going to the arboretum

Still looking for Josh Dalton tho. Found him on a security station once, but changed targets and now I can't find him anymore on the console.. (He's found in
G.U.T.S
, right?

This effing game... more annoying bugs that are preventing me from completing a mission. Googled and others are having the same problem. FML, I want to like this game, but there is just no excuse for the number of bugs.

Does using the alien magic stuff affect the ending? I am currently avoiding using or developing any of my powers precisely because of thinking that it'll affect the ending, but at the same time, it feels like I'm missing out a huge part of the gameplay by not using the alien magic.

Not really. I could get more descriptive but it might spoil something.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Took 36 hours but a lot of that was dedicated to exploration. Loved it. Arkane, ya did well.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I finally finished it and honestly I did not enjoy it, it just wasn't for me. For the first few hours I loved it, a solid 8.5/10 but after that it got insanely difficult, even on normal difficulty and later easy difficulty enemies were always extremely tough mostly due to the fact that resources were so rare, I was almost always walking around on 30HP with no ammo or items that could help me so I spent a lot of my time dying or running away which just isn't fun at all. I've never done such a massive 180 on a game before. I really struggled to finish it in the end, especially once those bloody
military bots
came into it, they would literally kill me in 2 seconds on easy difficult and they were absolutely everywhere and relentless.

I don't mind games that are hard and rewarding or if they're tough but it makes sense but that's not Prey for me, Prey was just frustrating and overtuned, even when I switched it to easy enemies would swarm and surround you, constantly harassing you every step of the way and without any resources to deal with them it just became tiresome with the constant deaths. I honestly can't remember disliking a game this much that I actually finished. I think I'm more upset because there's so much I do like, the visuals, audio, atmosphere and some of the gameplay mechanics are really great but at the end of the day fun is most important and I just didn't have any past maybe the 5 hour mark.

Good. Is it the latest update?

Yes. Here's the link to the hotfix:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4464

Well I finally finished it and honestly I did not enjoy it, it just wasn't for me. For the first few hours I loved it, a solid 8.5/10 but after that it got insanely difficult, even on normal difficulty and later easy difficulty enemies were always extremely tough mostly due to the fact that resources were so rare, I was almost always walking around on 30HP with no ammo or items that could help me so I spent a lot of my time dying or running away which just isn't fun at all. I've never done such a massive 180 on a game before. I really struggled to finish it in the end, especially once those bloody
military bots
came into it, they would literally kill me in 2 seconds on easy difficult and they were absolutely everywhere and relentless.

I don't mind games that are hard and rewarding or if they're tough but it makes sense but that's not Prey for me, Prey was just frustrating and overtuned, even when I switched it to easy enemies would swarm and surround you, constantly harassing you every step of the way and without any resources to deal with them it just became tiresome with the constant deaths. I honestly can't remember disliking a game this much that I actually finished. I think I'm more upset because there's so much I do like, the visuals, audio, atmosphere and some of the gameplay mechanics are really great but at the end of the day fun is most important and I just didn't have any past maybe the 5 hour mark.

Sorry you had a frustrating time with it

Though, to be honest, reading from people who had a hard time with Prey kinda makes me more motivated to make my tips and tricks series.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Though, to be honest, reading from people who had a hard time with Prey kinda makes me more motivated to make my tips and tricks series.

I'd watch it to see if I was doing something wrong, but I don't think I was, it just seemed so massively overtuned to me. I play all my games on normal (I've also completed all the Souls games so I'm not just awful at games in general) and it's usually a perfectly fine experience where I can enjoy the story without dying all the time but in Prey? Nope, on my ass 24/7, even easy difficulty was harder than most games on higher difficulties. I always felt like I was 1 second from death, at no point did I feel enhanced in any way. I'm glad most people enjoyed it but for me it was a massive waste of money.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the bugs and glitches just ruined this game for me. The load times are unbearable, and having to reload old saves, repeatedly, to get around bugs is just not how I want to play a game.

I've finally gotten around the bugs, and finished the game while doing what I intended
got the empathetic achievement
. For me, the experience was poor due to constantly fighting bugs... Like a 5 or 6 out of 10. If the game just "worked" I feel like it could be an 8 to 9 game, but that was far from my experience.

Even with the newest patch, I couldn't see myself recommending this game. On the plus side, I thought I guessed the ending early, but was wrong.

Prurient

Banned
Yes. Here's the link to the hotfix:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4464

Your video only needs to be two words: Leverage. Three. :D

Seriously though it's so fun. I was carrying a massive crate to access an area, had a mimic run up to attack me and I simply dropped the crate on it haha. I love this game

kliklik

Banned
I'd watch it to see if I was doing something wrong, but I don't think I was, it just seemed so massively overtuned to me. I play all my games on normal (I've also completed all the Souls games so I'm not just awful at games in general) and it's usually a perfectly fine experience where I can enjoy the story without dying all the time but in Prey? Nope, on my ass 24/7, even easy difficulty was harder than most games on higher difficulties. I always felt like I was 1 second from death, at no point did I feel enhanced in any way. I'm glad most people enjoyed it but for me it was a massive waste of money.

No offense...but you kinda were playing wrong. I read your posts from earlier in this thread and your progress vs. time spent indicate that you didn't spend much time exploring. This would be why you were so low on ammo and health and felt so underpowered as you progressed, because you kept pushing forward. For point of comparison, I just recently encountered my first Nightmare and i'm over 40 hrs into the game lol. On Normal difficulty, I took down the Nightmare in 4 shots.

Exploration isn't everyone's cup of tea and that I can understand. But then Prey isn't the kind of shooter for you. Knowing what you want and how you'll play compared to what the game is offering helps to avoid wasting money. The number one source of entertainment in this game is exploration. Also, did you try alien powers? That can help you conserve ammo.

Yeah, I'd never be the kind of guy to be like "lol git gud" but I'm finding that Prey has pretty manageable difficulty so far and I'm two thirds? of the way through. Haven't even touched alien powers so I'm heavily reliant on ammo and have had to come up with ways to conserve it and use it smartly. I've also been taking advantage of friendly operators where I can, recycling everything I come across, etc.

I'm the kind of person who usually feels like they're not that good at games compared to the GAF average (I bailed out of Demon's Souls super early, for example), so I doubt that I'm some badass supergod. It might just be that this style of gameplay doesn't suit you as much as others? Which is totally fair and is not intended to be a slight, sometimes games just don't mesh with you. Sucks that you had a bad time with it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
No offense...but you kinda were playing wrong. I read your posts from earlier in this thread and your progress vs. time spent indicate that you didn't spend much time exploring. This would be why you were so low on ammo and health and felt so underpowered as you progressed, because you kept pushing forward. For point of comparison, I just recently encountered my first Nightmare and i'm over 40 hrs into the game lol. On Normal difficulty, I took down the Nightmare in 4 shots.

Exploration isn't everyone's cup of tea and that I can understand. But then Prey isn't the kind of shooter for you. Knowing what you want and how you'll play compared to what the game is offering helps to avoid wasting money. The number one source of entertainment in this game is exploration. Also, did you try alien powers? That can help you conserve ammo.

That could explain it I guess, I always tend to follow the main story and ignore most side quests as games tend to be far too long for me if I don't.

Why do you even go to Life Support for that? I don't remember that place having anything to do with
the key

Kind of sounds like MosquitoSmasher's at the same point in the game I am:
you can't get to the key without doing something in the Power Plant, which you access via Life Support.
That's a guess, though. Quest name would help.

heringer

I just reached Crew headquarters. How far into the game I am? Also, can you finish the game without exploring significant sections of the game?

burgerdog

Does Mimic not work though small openings? I try to morph through the small opening in windows and the game throws me at ground floor. Same thing if I place an item on the counter so I can then just roll through. Extremely confused.

Does Mimic not work though small openings? I try to morph through the small opening in windows and the game throws me at ground floor. Same thing if I place an item on the counter so I can then just roll through. Extremely confused.

You morph into the object where you stand, if you want to be on the counter it's best to jump up on it before morphing.

Varna

Not sure how far I'm into the main game
going into deep storage
. But at the very least Nightmare mode needs some tweaks to item scarcity. I already have max hacking/repair and have all the good looking normal skills. Kind of ruining the fun now since I just zip around and kill everything really easily with the shotgun.

Oh yeah, and Shift ability is totally broken. Jesus, how do developers let abilities this OP just slip in?

Man I really messed it up for myself by going through with the procedure on that Ingram guy, seems I missed two achievements because of it (
Not killing any humans and completing in the most empathetic way possible
). Ah well, I don't put too much stock in achievements anyway.

I feel like the ending of the game was a bit of a letdown, since there was no reason for me to fight as I already had everywhere explored I ended up just sprinting past everything and it made the whole thing feel just like a rush to the end. And to be honest, that's kinda what it was for me. I played for a total of 38 hours and the game was wearing out for me, so I did just want to be done with it. I did all the endings that I could and think that I actually prefer the
Nullwave
ending even though I feel that the
self-destruct
ending may fit the empathetic character more.

All in all the game was great though not without issues. It had a lot of bugs that are already being resolved in patches, so that's good. The balancing is something that unfortunately will not be fixed though. By the time I reached the Arboretum the first time I was already feeling overpowered and as time went on I just kept getting stronger and stronger, with my pool of resources only growing to the point I was just recycling food, grenades, even ammo just because I didn't need it all. The game is weirdly unbalanced in that it encourages thorough exploration, but if you do explore thoroughly the game pretty much ends up losing all challenge.

Hoping there'll be a sequel sometime, though not super confident there will be...

Eusis

Ingram was funny for me because
dumbass stayed in the same spot so when I went back through later the newly spawned enemies went and murdered him, leaving another dead human on the station. Sorta surprised that was noted in the end but I guess with how they designed it they knew he'd likely just get himself killed.

I know that the new ps4 patch introduces performance issues but does boost mode iron these out or are they there on normal ps4 and ps4 pro in boost mode?

BeeDog

I know that the new ps4 patch introduces performance issues but does boost mode iron these out or are they there on normal ps4 and ps4 pro in boost mode?

Performance problems exist on the Pro in boost mode too :(

Hope the pending 1.03 patch alleviates the performance problems on PS4, but my confidence is low...

Do you guys think the game rewards a lot exploration ? There are a lot of rooms I can access using powers I spent a lot of time upgrading (the strenght one for example), and all I find in it is some computer with lore emails and sometimes a bit of food.

Do you guys think the game rewards a lot exploration ? There are a lot of rooms I can access using powers I spent a lot of time upgrading (the strenght one for example), and all I find in it is some computer with lore emails and sometimes a bit of food.

what about the shit ton of materials and keycards to other rooms?

what about the shit ton of materials and keycards to other rooms?

I think I never found any key card that wasn't in a story mission :/
Is there any in the 3 first levels ? I have the keycard to almost none of the rooms in the Talos I main lobby and I think I have seen everything in this area...

psychotron

I need to go check after the latest XB1 patch, but Ingram had been stuck in a hallway for me. He left the room and ran down the path, then just stops at the end of the hall. Can't talk to him either.

I think I never found any key card that wasn't in a story mission :/
Is there any in the 3 first levels ? I have the keycard to almost none of the rooms in the Talos I main lobby and I think I have seen everything in this area...

invest in hacking, use the gloo gun to reach high up places, and if you're not strong enough, you can knock lighter stuff into heavy items to move them, or just toss an explosive or recycler charge at it.

I took a look at the difference between my time playing the game and the hours tracked via may save file. Long story short, I estimate that I spent around 5 hours trying to circumvent bugs by loading older saves/etc. That is the length of some entire games. It's such a shame, because there is really something special here that is just hidden in technical issues.

Note: I probably sunk 10-15 hours into Prey before running into any issues. All of the save corruption and quest breaking stuff was late game for me.

Woke up this morning and saw that a new public beta patch came out yesterday. Immediately loaded up the game where I left off and exited the ship from Hardware Labs - the inventory bug does appear to be fixed, I lost nothing! (I stopped at that point a week ago because I'd already tried 3 times and lost something different every time).

Hot damn, looks like I can finally finish this game now!

SomTervo

military bots

Weird. I'm on Hard and near the end game (after 20-something hours) and just now it started getting hard.

How long did it take you to complete? Did you rush? I could imagine it getting too hard if you mainlined the story and didn't explore enough.

I literally always have 5+ med packs and I run out of ammo perhaps once per hour and have to fabricate more, which is never an issue. If you explore enough, resources are never a problem.

That could explain it I guess, I always tend to follow the main story and ignore most side quests as games tend to be far too long for me if I don't.

Aha.

Yes. Sorry to say it, but it sounds like you didn't embrace what makes "immersive sims" so great. If you replay the game from scratch and dedicate yourself to exploring every nook and cranny you'll probably have a great time and realise why most people on GAF are raving about it. Obviously that's likely to be a big fat 'no' because time is the big problem. For open world games like Horizon or Fallout 4 or The Witcher, I never do all side quests and never explore every nook and cranny. It's just too much work and too much time.

But immersive sims like Prey, Dishonored, Deus Ex, etc, are different. Every 5 minutes of exploration will improve your character and your resource pool hugely, as well as being incredibly fun. It gets super satisfying thinking "Hmm, I wonder if there's something hidden in this room" then finding it, then getting a pack of like 3 neuromods or a load of ammo.

On top of that you'll find ways to entirely skip many of the game's fights or you'll find amazing gameplay situations in side places.

Seriously, I guarantee many of the hardest bits of the game for you will have been entirely skippable by exploring the environment more. There are always air vents, piping running overhead, rooms that connect laterally, environmental options to clear out the enemies, etc.

Not sure how far I'm into the main game
going into deep storage
. But at the very least Nightmare mode needs some tweaks to item scarcity. I already have max hacking/repair and have all the good looking normal skills. Kind of ruining the fun now since I just zip around and kill everything really easily with the shotgun.

Oh yeah, and Shift ability is totally broken. Jesus, how do developers let abilities this OP just slip in?

That feeling of power might not last. The game's difficulty upped a lot for me just after where you are.

Why do you even go to Life Support for that? I don't remember that place having anything to do with
the key

Kind of sounds like MosquitoSmasher's at the same point in the game I am:
you can't get to the key without doing something in the Power Plant, which you access via Life Support.
That's a guess, though. Quest name would help.

The two quests are:

Reboot and The keys to the kingdom

Previously I did
Shipping and receiving. Had to help Sarah Elazar by placing turrets for all the Typhons.

Maybe I should go back and finish some optional quests first like Danielle Sho, Talos Smuggling Ring and so on. If I can go back right now.

I gave up on the game around the Arboretum, but I played 80% on Normal with a ramp up to Hard for the remainder. I always had 100+ pistol bullets, 60+ shotgun shells and 15+ health packs once I hit those numbers.

Being able to kill everything with two shotgun blasts is a great way to conserve absolutely everything.

KorrZ

I couldn't imagine NOT taking the inventory upgrades. So much stuff in this game...I'm constantly running back to Recyclers.

Top Bottom