• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey patch adds major stuttering to PS4 version, "worst ever" frame pacing

BeeDog

Thanks for posting this. I'm quite annoyed with many current-gen games "fixing" problems by mucking up other aspects, i.e. ruining performance. The improved input lag is obviously very nice, but not at the cost of degrading the game's performance from its initial release.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This situations really frustrates me. It's one of my favorite games this year but I actually had to stop playing after 1.02 hit because it's so bad. It looks like it's running in the mid-20s at all time and introduced tearing. The input lag didn't even bother me so if this is the result of trying to fix that issue, then it's even more frustrating.

I actually was playing the game when the 1.02 patch downloaded. Quit out of the game to install it and then came back and it was immediately running worse. Performance on the same console should not be compromised after launch when there was no issue with it to begin with.

ced

Resumed playing yesterday with 1.04, I personally didn't notice any stuttering, which I did with 1.02 or whatever the previous one was. Haven't seen tearing yet either, which I did catch on previous version.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So a patch to a previously smooth game was the result of the hardware somehow becoming worse?

The intent of the patch was to increase visual performance, why isn't it possible that they flew too close to the sun when the Pro is merely a set of wax wings in a box? You do realize that just because even a PC can run a game perfectly at medium settings, doesn't mean you can just flip on the 4K ultra switch and expect nothing to change? This isn't the only conclusion to draw, but his point is a very strong possibility.

Praise be that I beat the game before all this happened. Played on 1.03 and only had 2 instances after the patch where there were issues with the frame rate.

THE:MILKMAN

Other developers seem to be doing ok with the same tools.

I guess it does vary by dev/engine but the video does cite Tomb Raider exhibiting similar problems. In this case the dev have a basically perfectly performing game on Xbox One through all updates and now quite a mess on similar more powerful hardware since updating and adding Pro.

Some sort of software issue between PS4 and Pro is causing issues and if not strictly following the developer docs breaks things? Saying that, you'd think it would be caught at cert/QA....

psychotron

Wow, they really need to get their shit together. As always, John exposes shitty frame pacing, which many people overlook. Also, great catch on that FOV bug. I'm on XB1 and didn't even pick up on it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The intent of the patch was to increase visual performance, why isn't it possible that they flew too close to the sun when the Pro is merely a set of wax wings in a box? You do realize that just because even a PC can run a game perfectly at medium settings, doesn't mean you can just flip on the 4K ultra switch and expect nothing to change? This isn't the only conclusion to draw, but his point is a very strong possibility.

The issue was introduced in 1.02, before PS4 Pro support was added, and impacts both PS4 models. It's not due to the addition of the Pro features.

peppers

Is this the first game that doesn't meet the minimum requirements placed by Sony to be on PS4 Pro? Seems to be 1080p/30.

This is very tangential, but is "own goal" a term that is commonly understood by American audience? Does it happen often enough in sports other than soccer?

The Polish equivalent is closer to "suicide shot", typically abbreviated by typical Polish word manipulation on "suicide" word itself (never seen it used for actual suicides), which is, well, somewhat more obviously negative at price of being somewhat overdramatic... Anyway, modern Polish has quite a few soccer references, but it's weird for me to see one in non-soccer game article in English, even with Eurogamer obviously being closer to British take on the language than American one.

Green Yoshi

Underpowered consoles and a market that keeps demanding "great graphics in a small cheap box"

Something gets compromised

I'm sure the PS4 Pro is much more powerful than the Xbox 360, which didn't suffer from frame pacing issues in most of its games.

Perhaps the Cry Engine isn't optimized for consoles. Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 also has a lot of technical problems.

Ashtar

Jeez I was gonna but the bullet and buy it for 40 this Friday maybe I'll just buy injustice 2 ultimate instead

I literally started the game a day before the patch and I could tell it didn't look that great. Started it again and I didn't want to put it down.
I really don't know wtf people are talking about, it looks and plays great to me. And waaayy better than before the patch.

Frostman

Poor Framepacing seems to be a common problem on PS4. Consoles are really annoying me this gen, as far as performance goes.

Gator86

One of the best games of the last couple years and they just can't stop shooting themselves in the foot. Just one thing after another. You'd feel bad for Arkane if they weren't the ones continually dropping the ball.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get how devs can release games like this? Surely they have the same tools or better than DF and can see the game is stuttering like crazy. Hell, you can tell without tools.

Gator86

I don't get how devs can release games like this? Surely they have the same tools or better than DF and can see the game is stuttering like crazy. Hell, you can tell without tools.

Same reason as most bad game things: too little time/resources and hopes that the good press will outweigh the bad, in terms of impacting short-term sales before they can actually fix it, if they even do.

valkyre

Frame pacing generation.

Cant wait for all the "i cannot even detect frame pacing issues, so who cares" , comments.

Sounds like the same thing in Pro version of Skyrim Remastered - never fixed and £30 down the drain as its unplayable mess.

Nice one Sony/Other Developers...

cakely

This is very tangential, but is "own goal" a term that is commonly understood by American audience? Does it happen often enough in sports other than soccer?

The Polish equivalent is closer to "suicide shot", typically abbreviated by typical Polish word manipulation on "suicide" word itself (never seen it used for actual suicides), which is, well, somewhat more obviously negative at price of being somewhat overdramatic... Anyway, modern Polish has quite a few soccer references, but it's weird for me to see one in non-soccer game article in English, even with Eurogamer obviously being closer to British take on the language than American one.

Yeah, "own goal" is pretty common parlance here in the US.

Sadly, it's probably because of this incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Escobar

jem0208

Shame about these issues as the game itself is one of my favorites of the year. It's really really good. It's just that...it's only REALLY good on PC.
It's fine on the Xbox.

I've had a few minor FPS drops bit nothing extreme and never during combat.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Underpowered consoles and a market that keeps demanding "great graphics in a small cheap box"

Something gets compromised

The only thing compromised is your integrity with this shitty post. You're clueless.

That being said, I'm not buying now.

Game was playing fine for me before, ugh. Should have finished it when I had the chance to play it without problems. Bah.

Xenoblade

It is completely unacceptable for a game to have bad framepacing. Bloodborne, FFXV, Skyrim and now Prey are all games I would have bought but haven't because of these issues. I don't have a gaming PC so these are actual lost sales.

Top Bottom