• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey's debut sales in the UK seem quite low

Well personally I skipped it because Bethesda don't seem particularly confident in their games anymore. No review copies, no trailers at all here in the UK. It's like they want it to slip under the radar. The message that sends to me is they don't think it's going to perform well, so if I grab it one day it will be on a deep discount down the line.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well personally I skipped it because Bethesda don't seem particularly confident in their games anymore. No review copies, no trailers at all here in the UK. It's like they want it to slip under the radar. The message that sends to me is they don't think it's going to perform well, so if I grab it one day it will be on a deep discount down the line.

I generally skip their games because they're always janky as hell, performance and technical issues really kill games for me. That being said, I do want to play Prey when it's £10-£15.

Dishonored 2 isn't as good as Prey, tbh. There are a few ways in which Dishonored doesn't improve upon the first game, and in some ways is worse than the first, so I'm not surprised it isn't doing as well.

Dishonored 2 trumps Prey in every way except for maybe the story (which isn't saying much).

It was set in the same universe and had story ties. So that alone is enough to carry it. You can change things up radically and still be a sequel. Kind of like how RE6 to RE7 was though in this case it wasn't shifting the view points. So that keeping the name made sense.
In the case of Arkane's prey, I want to say there was an interview or something of the sort that basically said the name "Prey" was basically mandated to be used. Since Bethesda had to use it for something or risk losing the copyright/trademark or whatever they have for it.

I think the name itself would carry weight if it was as sequel to the original. Maybe not now since it's been so long. But for the original timeframe the game was supposed to release, I think it would've been fine (It's not like that game was coming out the date arkanes prey did had it come out).

I agree about the name thing though. I think it would've been in a better place with a different name. All the name did was make people mad who still thought of the original and confuse those who still remembered the game.

Oh yeah, I think I remember reading something about trade marks etc. There's a chance Prey 2 would have performed better, but I think it's far from a guarantee. As good as the game looked, we also can't be sure it would have been a great game.

The name debacle really muddied the waters, and I feel bad for Arkane for crafting a really good game and continuing to be dogged with choice comments like:

That's what they get for cancelling Prey 2 for this dud.

I mean that's just a shitty way to look at the situation. From all accounts Arkane had nothing to do with the naming of this game. It's just a name, god damn. Judge the game on it's own merits and pretend it's called something else.

Don't punish the developers because the publisher has done some dodgy stuff in the past.

Bizarre comparison. Does anyone care about that "sub-genre"? The appeal of Stranger's Wrath was that it was a great shooter in the Oddworld universe, not that it was a bounty hunter style game. Prey 2 wasn't a "bounty hunter style game" either, it was an open world sci fi shooter with platforming elements.

Personally, I think Prey 2 would've been a MUCH easier sell than Prey 2017 and that would've led to far more success. The CG trailer alone told you everything you needed to know about Prey 2 and it looked amazing. Whereas Prey 2017's CG trailer started out insanely slow and didn't really tell you a whole lot about the game.

Prey 2 was pretty eye catching, I'll give you that. This game doesn't really seem as immediate. But it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that something SHOULD perform well but reality often doesn't match up. A bunch of people talk about how they would buy this or that cancelled game, but that doesn't always translate to sales.

The Prey 2 concept was outstanding (I was crushed when that and STALKER 2 were cancelled within a few months of each other) but if you pitched the concept of "an emergent sim with a AAA budget designed as a System Shock successor, without dumbing down the gameplay systems" plenty of people would be frothing at the mouth.

It seems like this game delivered on that premise quite well, but nobody seems to care. If the game was never revealed and there was an article about how "Arkane was working on a cancelled System Shock successor" I'm sure the thread would be full of people talking about how great that would be...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn I read GAF every day (been a member for what, 10+ years?) and have been following gaming news since the almighty VIDEOGIOCHI magazine in '83 and even I didn't know Prey was out already

Prey seems really cool, but it comes at the tail end of the biggest and highest quality gaming season we've had in years. Combine this with very low marketing, a lack of pre-release coverage and reviews, and the fact that it isn't selling great makes sense.

Plus, it just isn't a very visually interesting game. Other big Bethesda releases like Dishonored and Doom had very recognizable aesthetics. And compared to System Shock, it's the enemy design that really falls flat for me. The black goop monsters seem generic and aren't very intimidating.

Prey 2 was pretty eye catching, I'll give you that. This game doesn't really seem as immediate. But it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that something SHOULD perform well but reality often doesn't match up. A bunch of people talk about how they would buy this or that cancelled game, but that doesn't always translate to sales.

The Prey 2 concept was outstanding (I was crushed when that and STALKER 2 were cancelled within a few months of each other) but if you pitched the concept of "an emergent sim with a AAA budget designed as a System Shock successor, without dumbing down the gameplay systems" plenty of people would be frothing at the mouth.

It seems like this game delivered on that premise quite well, but nobody seems to care. If the game was never revealed and there was an article about how "Arkane was working on a cancelled System Shock successor" I'm sure the thread would be full of people talking about how great that would be...

That kinda tells you how many people would froth at the mouth for a AAA System Shock successor, doesn't it? System Shock has its die hard fans but there isn't that many of them. Far more people are familiar with Bioshock but that had a hook to its visual style and setting that set it apart from everything else on the market. Prey 2017 really doesn't have that.

And sure, maybe that thread would get a lot of posts but it wouldn't get anywhere near as much attention as the Prey 2 cancellation did, even disregarding Bethesda's bullshit, because we'd seen that CG trailer and gameplay footage and it looked amazing.

Prey seems really cool, but it comes at the tail end of the biggest and highest quality gaming season we've had in years. Combine this with very low marketing, a lack of pre-release coverage and reviews, and the fact that it isn't selling great makes sense.

Plus, it just isn't a very visually interesting game. Other big Bethesda releases like Dishonored and Doom had very recognizable aesthetics. And compared to System Shock, it's the enemy design that really falls flat for me. The black goop monsters seem generic and aren't very intimidating.

I kept getting flashbacks to the XCOM FPS while fighting the Mimics in the demo.

Dishonored 2 trumps Prey in every way except for maybe the story (which isn't saying much).
I don't agree, at all. Except that yes, the story telling in Prey is much better, considering it is actually good (if a bit minimal in presentation) compared to the awful storytelling in Dishonored 2. The open, interconnected level design of Prey is fantastic, and while the level design of Dishonored 2 was the best part of the game, Prey has the benefit of sequence breaking and interconnectivity without sacrificing the quality of level design.

Even if they wanted to reboot Prey it should have had similar enemies and design asthetic to the first game and the cancelled prey 2. This game they ended up making literally seems like SOMA with an AAA budget behind it.

Coxy100

Banned
Damn I read GAF every day (been a member for what, 10+ years?) and have been following gaming news since the almighty VIDEOGIOCHI magazine in '83 and even I didn't know Prey was out already
Damn, not sure how could not know it was out already if you read GAF every day. The review thread and the OT are a big giveaway.

It's $110AUD on Steam. I only just started Dishonored 2 last weekend (enjoying the hell out of it). I'll probably get around to buying Prey 2 when it's cheaper and I have fewer games in the immediate queue (not the backlog because I ain't ever getting to those ones).

I think it's partly because of the lack of word of mouth due to no(t many) early review copies.

That makes zero sense.

It's all about the publisher if you have any ethical quandaries, the developer is just a tool.

It depends on what your objection is with the publisher. I don't think the average worker at Arkane deserves to be boycotted based on naming shenanigans they had nothing to do with.

If it's some greater moral issue go right ahead.

Korigama

Sounds like they really dropped the ball with marketing it in the UK. There have been plenty of TV ads for it in the US.

Still, I don't disagree with the assessment that its art direction just isn't all that interesting.

holygeesus

Banned
If they can't be arsed to provide proper PS4 Pro support, I can't be arsed to buy their game. With so many good games floating about, it's great to be able to be selective and reward companies that actually put some effort into their products.

HariKari

Seems like they had no marketing effort for it because they had no confidence in the game, yet it turned out to be good.

I wonder if Dishonored 2's technical issues had anything to do with it.
This is a thing where I totally understand the complaints, but I also feel people shouldn't be so fucking anal about performance if the underlying game is clearly really good.

If they can't be arsed to provide proper PS4 Pro support, I can't be arsed to buy their game. With so many good games floating about, it's great to be able to be selective and reward companies that actually put some effort into their products.
Oh definitely. Prey is clearly a quick cash-in to make dem easy bucks.

holygeesus

Banned
Oh definitely. Prey is clearly a quick cash-in to make dem easy bucks.

Hmmm not sure I said it was a quick cash-in, but crappy PS4 controls still not fixed, and no Pro support (despite plastering it on the box!) is just poor. As I say, it is a crowded market at the moment, so what some people see as minor inconveniences become reasons to avoid a game when there are so many competing products.

Hmmm not sure I said it was a quick cash-in, but crappy PS4 controls still not fixed, and no Pro support (despite plastering it on the box!) is just poor. As I say, it is a crowded market at the moment, so what some people see as minor inconveniences become reasons to avoid a game when there are so many competing products.
companies that actually put some effort into their products.
Basically the same thing. You're clearly capable of voicing nuanced opinions. They're in short supply on GAF, unlike blatant hyperbole.

I missed the Pro controversy. There's no higher res/framerate support?

Literally nobody outside of GAF cares about Prey 2's cancellation. And even on GAF it's basically just the same five or six people spamming every Prey thread.

I gave this game a pass when no reviews came out. Im waiting for a steam sale before picking this up. Although I did rent the PS4 version and played that for about 2-3 hours just to get a feel for what the game is about. I really liked it a lot.

After Dishonored 2's awful PC performance and Arkane's terrible response to it, I'll buy this for £5 in the Steam sale despite it looking really good.

If you don't look after your fans why should they look after you? Dishonored 2 is a stuttering mess to this day.

And yes I know it's a different studio but that's irrelevant in my eyes.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Aww, so this is why the game didn't get a proper collector's edition, they knew it would bomb.
People probably didn't even know it came out of it wasnt for things like the steam top sellers on PC.

No marketing because you have no faith and the whole review fuckery is just a self fulfilling prophecy.

Scanna

Yep. In London and I've only seen a poster in a few underground stations. T Nowhere near as many as I've seen for Horizon, Breath of the Wild and even Dishonored 2.
Well I've seen posters in several places and an ad right before Gotg in Odeon cinemas...
Certainly not much but more than most videogames get imo. Can't say about tv

After Dishonored 2's awful PC performance and Arkane's terrible response to it, I'll buy this for £5 in the Steam sale despite it looking really good.

If you don't look after your fans why should they look after you? Dishonored 2 is a stuttering mess to this day.

And yes I know it's a different studio but that's irrelevant in my eyes.
You think Arkane has the freedom to make those​ decisions themselves? If a game is or isn't supported post-launch, it's the publisher making that decision.

Gurish

Obviously having no reviews hurt, especially since it reviews well, but I think visually the game is not appealing and it hurt them just as much, if it had amazing visuals and art (without changing anything else) it would gather much more hype, even here on GAF people completely ignored it, there are countless of threads showing new trailers and gameplay and most of them don't get more than 1 page of comments.

IMO they messed up not only because of the shitty review policy, much before the game was out they had failed to gather any attention and I blame it mostly on the visuals and art style.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I couldn't finish the demo. The first 15 minutes bashing spiders with a wrench bored me immensely.

You think Arkane has the freedom to make those​ decisions themselves? If a game is or isn't supported post-launch, it's the publisher making that decision.

So fuck the publisher then. As a consumer I don't care who decides what, I just know I paid for a game that basically doesn't work.

And to make matters worse, it's a sequel to one of my favourite games.

I'm not going to support that BS.

you got the receipts?

Go through literally any Prey thread and you will see gafneo, uh, and . . .

Actually, it's basically just gafneo. In every single Prey thread. Probably one or two other guys I'm not thinking of too. I never see anybody else complaining about Prey 2, though.

So fuck the publisher then. As a consumer I don't care who decides what, I just know I paid for a game that basically doesn't work.

And to make matters worse, it's a sequel to one of my favourite games.

I'm not going to support that BS.
That's fine. Just know the devs would love to get paid to fix any problems you might be having. They spent years of their lives working towards releasing this single game.

Top Bottom