• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey's debut sales in the UK seem quite low

Intel_89

My excuse: I have my hands full at the moment and this being a game published by Bethesda means it'll come down in price fairly quickly. The demo didn't do much for me either so there's that too, but I'm sure the game is great from what I've been reading online.

CoLaN

I think they focused the marketing on Twitch, but it's a singleplayer game and even if many are convinced that Twitch marketing works for everything, i strongly believe that it only works for multiplayer games and some indie games.

A lot of people who watch singleplayer games on Twitch dont end up buying the final product, i think

1. When I heard that it was not in fact a sequel to the portal Native American game my interest dropped off a cliff.

2. Have too many things to play right now and making a conscious effort not to add to my backlog.

Ironically from what I gather, the gameplay is actually more to my liking than the "original" Prey. I will probably pick it up in a few months

Like many on Gaf, I hardly knew Prey released last week, although I saw that demo thread floating around.

Not really interested in the game personally, the fighting looked a bit whiffle bat floaty and the visuals seemed weird and off (but I always feel that way with Arkane games and their art style).

Good luck to the devs though, reviews seem quite good.

Even if they wanted to reboot Prey it should have had similar enemies and design asthetic to the first game and the cancelled prey 2. This game they ended up making literally seems like SOMA with an AAA budget behind it.

It's nothing like SOMA

Which in a way serves to prove a point, about marketing.
People aren't going to invest time into researching games and stuff, they are going to look a 60-90 second trailer. With luck.

So with that surface level look, they can mistakenly believe it's like another type of game, like SOMA.

The problem is, how to show off the qualities of an immersive sim, if people's attention span and/or time is so short?

It's one of the reason companies prefer to do dumbed down games: they adapt better to marketing campaigns.

Zojirushi

This is probably a tough year for sleeper hits.

People already spent tons of money on games this year because of all the killer AAA stuff that came out and games like Prey easily go on the "yeah I'm still busy playing Zelda and Persona so I'll get it when it's cheap" list.

Add Bethesda's no reviews policy which means less day 1 internet buzz and there you go.

Navid

A case of bad luck on the release timing for me, already got plenty on my plate in the form of titles I bought earlier in the year and won't be picking this up until I have finished some of those up...

I'm so far behind on my backlog, I can't even entertain the notion of buying this game, even though it looks really interesting.

The environments and mobs just seems so boring to me, I've seen quite a bit of promotional material and even tried to watch Twitch streams, but I couldn't stand it for more than 5 min (even from my favorite streamer). Not sure what this game is lacking but it just doesn't seem to click with me. Maybe more people are in the same boat and that's why it's not selling that well?

ISee

If no one realises it's out, why not make some ads now.

Because it takes time to produce them and you need to book them in advance. Slots are probably already sold out. It is also a budget question. You can't just move funds around easily in a company and adds are expansive.

Lucifon

Serious lack of marketing along with their terrible review policy meaning the reviews / media coverage just trickles out gradually with little fanfare.

I think most of these kinds of games don't sell all that well at launch but gain a cult game status through word of mouth later on. Just look at System Shock 2, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and so on. Immersive sims are incredibly niche, most people don't even know they're a thing. (Also the non-descriptive name for the genre doesn't really help things either...)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This is probably a tough year for sleeper hits.

People already spent tons of money on games this year because of all the killer AAA stuff that came out and games like Prey easily go on the "yeah I'm still busy playing Zelda and Persona so I'll get it when it's cheap" list.

Add Bethesda's no reviews policy which means less day 1 internet buzz and there you go.

Eh, you can say the same for nier, but it did pretty well for itself.

Difference is that it actually had a marketing leadup.

I think most of these kinds of games don't sell all that well at launch but gain a cult game status through word of mouth later on. Just look at System Shock 2, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and so on. Immersive sims are incredibly niche, most people don't even know they're a thing. (Also the non-descriptive name for the genre doesn't really help things either...)

Somebody in the Prey thread made a good point. Immersive sims will exist, but they will probably be lower budget.

I do hope Prey has legs though.

I have the money for the game, but I simply don't have the time. Persona suffered with this as well, so it's not like I'm picking on one game. I'm just at a point in life where I can't justify picking up games at launch that I might play.

It is a shame really, because I bought Doom at launch... But again, as a poster above me said, even that game dropped in price within months of release. Maybe that's where Bethesda hope to make the bulk of their sales.

patapuf

Wildlands is the best selling game of the year so far. It has an MC is the low to mid 70s.

That's a coop shooter though.

I'd say that this kind of single player story focused AAA game is pretty much exactly what people that still read (and write) reviews look for.

I enjoyed the demo, and honestly knew the game would release right around the corner as they said so in the demo announcement email, but honestly I blacked out the release of this game completely due to the amount of heart attacks every morphing enemy gave me.

Zukkoyaki

I'll pick up at some point probably near the end of May. Hopefully word of mouth helps sales tick up because Arkane does amazing work.

Kill3r7

Reviews are not just scores. Some people just want to know if the game is for them.

If reviews are just scores than why does it matter? The demo for Prey could not have been that much worse than the beta for Wildlands. My point is that we put too much weight on MC scores and marketing when certain games appeal to the masses while others are fundamentally niche. One could argue that the worst thing to happen to the immersive sim genre was the success of Deus Ex HR and Dishonored. It fooled people into thinking that there is a massive market for these games. As we have now seen over the last 9 months, there isn't.

PS. I love the genre but it is unquestionably niche on consoles.

That's a coop shooter though.

I'd say that this kind of single player story focused AAA game is pretty much exactly what people that still read (and write) reviews look for.

How about Watch Dogs or Far Cry Primal?

patapuf

How about Watch Dogs or Far Cry Primal?

Di watch dogs review badly? I don't remember. Far Cry is a well established franchise too.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue that games with mediocre reviews can't sell a lot copies. But that good reviews at release can help push that type of game and kickstart word of mouth.

As you pointed out, immersive sims are pretty niche, the exposure of such a push would certainly not hurt.

I had no idea this game even existed 0_0
It looks fantastic. I think it will have legs from good word of mouth. Hopefully. The blame is on the poor advertising.

Kill3r7

Di watch dogs review badly? I don't remember. Far Cry is a well established franchise too.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue that games with mediocre reviews can't sell a lot copies. But that good reviews at release can help push that type of game and kickstart word of mouth.

As you pointed out, immersive sims are pretty niche, the exposure of such a push would certainly not hurt.

Agreed. Personally, maybe incorrectly, I have come to the conclusion that a market for such games is more akin to smaller Japanese releases, think Yakuza or Platinum games rather than major Western AAA games. This is not judging the quality of the product per se. Just its appeal.

xrnzaaas

I'm really enjoying the game, but I fully expect it to be a bigger bomb than Dishonored 2 (it's not a coincidence that they didn't announce any DLC's for D2). There's just not that much potential in selling a sci-fi/horror singleplayer game, especially one that lacked good marketing and is a brand new IP.

I'd only know it was out because of Giant Bomb and GAF. I'll pick it up later on once i've ran down my backlog from the amazing start to the year. From what i've seen the game looks decent so like Andromeda i'll definitely get it but i'm not sure when. With finite time something has to give.

Are UK sales down for all games? Isnt Brexit a thing that may affect game sales? (I actually have no Idea I am across the pond)

Head.spawn

I'm about 4-5 hours in, definitely digging it so far.

I'll look forward to all the Lttp threads from our UK friends.

I did buy it, but after four hours with it I seem to be stuck and dying repeatedly. Instead of pushing through or looking up what I must be doing incorrectly, I just end up switching the PS4 off and doing something else with a mild feeling of buyer's remorse lingering over the whole thing.

Corpekata

Banned
Even ignoring the Metacritic rating or reviews overall and how effective they are, they do unquestionably add a marketing moment (well if the game reviews well lol). When like Persona 5 or w/e gets a million 9s and 10s it tends to trend on social media

There was a games writer who pointed out that Prey's searches were like lesser than games that had come out a month or two earlier and were not backed by a huge publisher. The game absolutely needed more of a spotlight and reviews could have ended up doing that. This isn't DOOM where it has brand recognition or easy to pick up and play mechanics. It's also not a game that's easily shown off in videos for the most part.

Played demo. Felt like dishonored 2. Aesthetic not appealing to me.

Massafect and Calladuty fans should play Prey. Female heavy cast, you're in a space ship, you take missions for various side quests.
Even Goldenye fans should play Prey, since there is a
golden
gun to find​.

High recommends. Though again the dishonored 2 connection doesn't have weight to it.

Top Bottom