• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Producer of Senran Kagura, Kenichiro Takaki, Leaves Marvelous

Don't get me wrong I couldn't care less about these games but its making me think twice about buying another sony console that's for sure. Lets make like bugs bunny and saw California off the country.

I'm really curious as to what will happen with catherine full body though...

Catherine 20% Body.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They asked for the ridiculous "Intimacy mode" to be removed, which is old news and not exactly surprising given its pretty much the exact scenario that got Omega Labyrinth Z in trouble earlier in the year.

Guess Steam is your goto for titty-fondling mini-games these days, if that's what floats yer boat.
But steam also censors.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how Hideo Kojima (a man known for similar content) is going to respond to this. Will his games 'mature' or will he give Sony the inevitable finger?

And what about Vanillaware? Could those regulations be the reason Aegis 13th Sentinel was in the dark for so long? Would Sony allow today a game with the artistic style of Dragon's Crown?
Sony doesn't mess with their first party content. 3rd party however...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not sure this really counts as an effective defense. I'd rather my agents of oppression didn't go around complaining about The Resident of Evil Creek.

Nothing I'm saying is defending censorship, because I'm absolutely not pro-censorship! I'm just pointing out that when the cultural tide turns, you have to pick your battles carefully and just try and work your way around it until things get better.

Sorry if that sounds defeatist, but there's really not much to be done about it in my view.

The difference between "high" art and "low" exploitation is subjective and frankly meaningless in itself, but it sure is easier to defend one than the other! Its all about perception and the ability to make allies politically and socially.

Moral/Value-based censorship tends to be driven by small specific-outlook pressure groups, who leverage governments into supporting their bullshit by (after gaining a degree of profile in the press/media) using that cause to press a hot-button issue that can potentially swing voter behavior.

Its the "think of the children" line. And it works particularly well on business as they, more than anyone, have everything to lose from direct government intervention, which is why we see this sort of risk-aversive policy change. A great example of this is how studio distributed slasher movies got tamer and tamer over the 80's, and not just as a result of increasing MPAA interference.

These days we have the SJW-contingent to bring the moral-jeopardy horseshit, the internet to amplify it, and their supporters in the media to cheerlead it (because its controversy, and that draws attention they can profit from). Thats a pretty formidable enemy, especially when these people's stock in trade is deplatforming and economically ruining those who stand against them.

If I was running a company, I'd think very carefully about tackling these jackals head-on too. Its just a lot of risk for little reward, and truthfully a difficult fight when the whole notion of freedom-of-speech as a prime civilizational virtue is ideologically anathema to the regressive left.

I'm not suggesting that we lie down and let these assholes roll over us, but rather that right now, we need to pick our fights carefully more than ever. Focussing on straw-man causes is just going to hand them easy wins and further their aims as they can use their successes to discredit the opposition.

Flattest timeline.
It's alright. I got this.
A1YuIzeV9FL._SX425_.jpg

Barakov

Gold Member
I can see more Japanese Switch exclusives being announced in the future. You may not like Senran Kagura or the anime art style but you cannot deny this is a bad thing all around. The problem with Sony's policies is that this thing is going to continue to snowball.

Pimpbaa

Japanese developers need to start going Switch exclusive or release uncensored versions there. Would make it easier for this Sony fanboy to go with Xbox and Switch only next gen.

Top Bottom