• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Programming Issues on XBox One - Johnathon Blow

Anandtech stated that if used correctly the eSRAM makes the difference between DDR3 and GDDR5 negligible. The GPU seems to be a bit of a different story though.

What if it's 5GB DDR3 + eSRAM vs 7GB GDDR5 though (from the rumors of how much the budget for gaming RAM budget is)? Will the different still be negligible?

Or does this doesn't count because the allocated RAM for the OS must always count?

So basically you just restated exactly what I said? It's implicit that dealing with a slightly more exotic memory set up will be more complex, but it's not the first system to be set up in such a manner. Devs should be accustomed to this by now?

Worked wonders for the PS3 third party output.

artist

Banned
And the cloud processing
Oops, forgot that.

So basically you just restated exactly what I said? It's implicit that dealing with a slightly more exotic memory set up will be more complex, but it's not the first system to be set up in such a manner. Devs should be accustomed to this by now?

Furthermore, article goes on to state:

Even with that said, the GPU seems to be the difference maker. How much so, I guess we will have to wait and see.
No, there is a difference. I'm pointing out that Anand makes that statement with a caveat while you dont seem to be seeing it. "Furthermore" is exactly what I quoted, which has the caveat.

Besides that Anand very clearly states that you cant add up bandwidth numbers (68 + 102), that in itself should be a good pointer as to why the gap in memory bandwidth wont be "negligible".

FuturusX

Anandtech stated that if used correctly the eSRAM makes the difference between DDR3 and GDDR5 negligible. The GPU seems to be a bit of a different story though.

With respect to Anand, he's not a developer and won't be dealing with the rigors of actual software development. Real word development will be the test.

If the eSRAM solution were that elegant a solution, I doubt Sony would have rejected it outright. According to Cerny they evaluated that approach and favored the more expensive unified GDDR setup. There's nothing revolutionary about using a cache alleviate bandwidth issues, it's the natural approach.

But there's no getting around the reality that eSRAM solution in the X1 is a compromise. If it yielded the same memory bandwidth result then Sony would likely have followed suit.

There's a technical advantage a very real one. How that translates to game development will not be clear, as so many other factors, technical and otherwise will shape the way games are made for both platforms.

The PS4 is going to be the most powerful and that seems to be clear for everyone.

Now it is yet to be seen if CoD and Halo will be enough to keep the dudebros or if PS4 will get them this time.

I hope not, I heard Xbox Live is the worst for game chat.

The PS4 is going to be the most powerful and that seems to be clear for everyone.

Now it is yet to be seen if CoD and Halo will be enough to keep the dudebros or if PS4 will get them this time.

CoD ain't exclusive man. 10 million sales on PS3 for the last one.

With respect to Anand, he's not a developer and won't be dealing with the rigors of actual software development. Real word development will be the test.

If the eSRAM solution were that elegant a solution, I doubt Sony would have rejected it outright. According to Cerny they evaluated that approach and favored the more expensive unified GDDR setup. There's nothing revolutionary about using a cache alleviate bandwidth issues, it's the natural approach.

But there's no getting around the reality that eSRAM solution in the X1 is a compromise. If it yielded the same memory bandwidth result then Sony would likely have followed suit.

There's a technical advantage a very real one. How that translates to game development will not be clear, as so many other factors, technical and otherwise will shape the way games are made for both platforms.

Anand obviously won't be dealing with the "rigors" of software game development day in/day out but he probably has a better grasp of the hardware capabilities of each platform to a better degree than most at this point. He certainly has years of experience and the appropriate educational background.

Danneee

MS have to sell some consoles before they can demand anything from third parties and I'm sure they rather take a lower fps version than have a title go PS4 exclusive.

The big media sites have no problems with the X1. Unless you think most of the 70+ million video game console owners are hardcore gamers? Kinect got the exact same reactions from gaf and a lot of negativity on facebook and twitter. And it did well anyways.

Big media sites? Even if what you stated was true, why would I care what they think?

I can form an opinion myself, and so can many others.

bes.gen

i think the most worrying part is his first line,
where he mentions extremely different performance numbers.
(probably based on people working with both consoles)
the rest is speculation.

but yeah he seems kinda biased against ms.
lpfTlV4.png

FuturusX

Anand obviously won't be dealing with the "rigors" of software game development day in/day out but he probably has a better grasp of the hardware capabilities of each platform to a better degree than most at this point. He certainly has years of experience and the appropriate educational background.

He has better grasp than developers? I don't think so. That's the point.

andycapps

I've played CoD on my 360 and PS3, the audience is pretty similar.. Meaning, if you're playing CoD, you're going to be talking to asshats on either system. Not everyone is like that, of course, but those experiences are usually pretty poor. Games that aren't as mainstream tend to have better communities (not in terms of size, but in terms of my experience interacting with other players).

Minions

Yes but it has timed DLC, and it is related more to the X360 than PS3. Not only timed DLC but advertising is heavily done for Xbox so for some people it is basically exclusive.

DLC is hardly makes an game exclusive. . . I'd rather Microsoft spend the money to advertise it... since COD does not even need to be advertised they are basically blowing money.

Top Bottom