• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Jackano said:
It's too soon this year's E3 for hoping any final name, release date and price. I don't understand why someone is hoping for it (or Ok maybe, maybe there is a little chance for the name but I truely don't expect it).

Why not? We knew about the name of the 3DS almost a year before its release. The Cafe is only 1 year away if the rumors are true.

Caramello

big_z said:
no you have to factor in nintendos blue ocean bullshit. it'll be slightly improved over the xbox so right there it will cost a tad more. then you add in the controller cost which increases the price and last you have to factor in nintendos profit. they make somewhere between $100-150 of pure profit on the 3DS. they will do the same with the cafe. there is nothing stopping them from doing it either since they can claim a new way to play on the most powerful console hardware out there.

we will get the final name, a rough price range they're aiming for(as in under X amount) and a launch quarter.

The bolded is wrong..

Edit: The part about it being more powerful automatically meaning it'd be more expensive to produce.

[Nintex]

Fernando Rocker said:
Next week is going to be too good... I don't know if my body is ready enough...

Nintendo conference + new console announcement + 3DS worldwide update = My body is not ready for that much awesomeness...
And Duke Nukem Forever.

WillyFive

Bisnic said:
I really hope Nintendo does some unexpected announcement this week about the Cafe.

Hell, even just the official name would be enough.

I have a hard time thinking how they could possibly recreate the reaction the Internet had over the Wii name.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DECK'ARD said:
Possible, but again not very Nintendo at all. It's a messy solution, and if the selling-point of your console is to play games away from the TV it becomes less of a selling-point when your 60fps Mario game doesn't play as well doing it.
Why a messy solution? Some games from the Wii Sports/Play collections were largely unplayable with even minor IR interferences. Did not stop nintendo from releasing the Wiimote or the software lineup. Other titles which still employed pointer controls were quite forgiving, and could be played even when facing the poly star of Betelgeuse (hyperbole).

The way I see it, there will be official recommendations for optimal-performance gameplay, just like the case with wiimote IR, or Motion+. So one would need to adhere to the recommendations if the person cared about optimal experience. If you want to play Mario from the bathroom, you should be prepared to suffer the lag. But nobody would be stopping you. Just as nobody was stopped me from playing various Wii games with IR interference when I couldn't be bothered to eliminate the source of interference.

The data being sent with controllers is minuscule compared to streaming video. The controller has to receive a whole frame before it can display anything, the latency will be a lot greater especially on top of WiFi's normal latency.
You seem to be fixated on the worst-case scenarios. Look at it from the bright side - WirelessHD in its current form is good for 1080p@60 - should be able to feed 4 controllers ok.

And the more controllers you have, the more of a headache it becomes sending everything and keeping them all in sync. 4-player 60fps games would probably be a nightmare. Nintendo may have found a magical solution to all this when no one else has, but I'm not expecting it. And if they haven't solved all the issues, I doubt I'd want it anyway.
I know I will want it. I've been a user of similar mobility technologies for years now. I.e. technologies where I need to meet some optimal-condition requirements to get optimal results, but tech would still work under suboptimal conditions, at some loss of quality.

Bisnic

Willy105 said:
I have a hard time thinking how they could possibly recreate the reaction the Internet had over the Wii name.

"Nintendo proudly present the Nintendo Diik (laughs)" -Iwata

?

swerve

From The Dust said:
the day before I think. in New York Post (or Washington Post. or something)

No, it was earlier, and on their official website IIRC.

EDIT: two weeks earlier. April 27th reveal, May 8th or around then E3.

Roelatie

Thinking of streaming:

-what about a NSMB 2 4 player co-op with no screen restrictions. Every one has its own screen!
- what if the wii2 has better specs then ps3? if you play single player you got the best graphics 1080p and 60fps (battlefield3?). if you want the stream to 4 controllers it will go
to 720 and 30-40 fps per controller.

streaming is fine but lag is killing. Is this even possible?

Streaming should bring the mystery 2 gaming back. It will be a challenge to play against someone without watching his stats/ powers/items on the screen.

Cant wait for E3!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Roelatie said:
Thinking of streaming:

-what about a NSMB 2 4 player co-op with no screen restrictions. Every one has its own screen!
- what if the wii2 has better specs then ps3? if you play single player you got the best graphics 1080p and 60fps (battlefield3?). if you want the stream to 4 controllers it will go
to 720 and 30-40 fps per controller.

streaming is fine but lag is killing. Is this even possible?

Streaming should bring the mystery 2 gaming back. It will be a challenge to play against someone without watching his stats/ powers/items on the screen.

Cant wait for E3!

I went further and postulated the idea of dynamic 4-player Nintendo racing.

F-Zero. Mario Kart. Wave Race. ExciteBike. 1080*

Big screen has a dynamic view of the action. Almost like a television broadcast of a race. Dynamic angles of the action. Play by Play. While each controller is the racers actual screen (cockpit). No more splitscreen on the big screen where everyone knows exactly where and what the other player is doing.

Just a dream in theory. But possible.

[Nintex]

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I went further and postulated the idea of dynamic 4-player Nintendo racing.

F-Zero. Mario Kart. Wave Race. ExciteBike. 1080*

Big screen has a dynamic view of the action. Almost like a television broadcast of a race. Dynamic angles of the action. Play by Play. While each controller is the racers actual screen (cockpit). No more splitscreen on the big screen where everyone knows exactly where and what the other player is doing.

Just a dream in theory. But possible.
And the showcase for EAD5's new F-Zero game!

BELIEVE

Yeah Wii name was way before due to them not wanting the name to be the focus, as it wasn't a straight forward name. So I'm guessing therefore it has a relatively simple name or continues the Wii name

GCX

Jackano said:
It's too soon this year's E3 for hoping any final name, release date and price. I don't understand why someone is hoping for it (or Ok maybe, maybe there is a little chance for the name but I truely don't expect it).
I'd say there's a 100% possibility we'll get the final name.

Nintendo wants to capitalize all the possible media attention and it'd be a lot more effective if they have an actual name for the product and not just "Codename N6" or something like that.

GCX said:
I'd say there's a 100% possibility we'll get the final name.

Nintendo wants to capitalize all the possible media attention and it'd be a lot more effective if they have an actual name for the product and not just "Codename Cafe" or something like that.
fixed for accuracy :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TunaLover said:
I think Nintendo broke its own record regarding avoid leaks, damn =/

I'm positive they're the company that started releasing the information to build up hype for E3.

The question remains: will we actually say WOW this time?

Please call this thing the N5 or the Nintendo Entertainment System 2

I'm leaning toward the later because when nintendo released the NES they had no idea what kind of gamers they would garner whether they be young old, hardcore or casual or your grandpa. Fast forward to the Cafe and nintendo is attempting to real a vast diverse audience in the it's next console. It's basically a repeat of the NES.

But it'll probably be the nintendo stream. Nintendo consoles are built around the consoles functionality so yeah...

Woffls

DragonKnight said:
The question remains: will we actually say WOW this time?
I'd love it if Reggie said "You will actually say wow this time" and points at a new Retro game trailer ^_^

[edit] Or was it Iwata that said it? I can't remember >_<

GCX

TunaLover said:
I think Nintendo broke its own record regarding avoid leaks, damn =/
They're not completely leak proof though since they had to officially announce Cafe beforehand because it'd had leaked anyway. Same with the 3DS last year.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
GCX said:
They're not completely leak proof though since they had to officially announce Cafe beforehand because it'd had leaked anyway. Same with the 3DS last year.
3DS took everyone by surprise last year.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390930

Like others, I suspect Nintendo controlled the leaks for Cafe, given that they totally dried up after the official announcement. I think they always planned to announce the console in advance of E3, just as they did for 3DS.

Woffls said:
I'd love it if Reggie said "You will actually say wow this time" and points at a new Retro game trailer ^_^

[edit] Or was it Iwata that said it? I can't remember >_<

It was Iwata. I still remember that like it was yesterday. If Reggie does that it will open up yet another new internet meme.

GCX

Krev said:
3DS took everyone by surprise last year.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390930

Like others, I suspect Nintendo controlled the leaks for Cafe, given that they totally dried up after the official announcement. I think they always planned to announce the console in advance of E3, just as they did for 3DS.
Nintendo announced both 3DS and Cafe months before E3 because there would've been a wave of leaks at some point. In the modern internet society, when a company sends dozens of dev kits of their new console to developers, they can't keep it a total secret no matter how many NDAs people sign.

It's rather easy to keep something like a new Zelda or Mario under wraps until its revelation because only a small circle of people work around the project. But even Nintendo can't totally hide a new console and that's why they've done these pre-announcements.

herzogzwei1989 said:
On another note, I hope SEGA's support for Cafe is good. My wish would be to see Sega Racing Classic (Daytona USA in HD) on Cafe's Virtual Console/Virtual Arcade service. Oh and how about a proper Phantasy Star V RPG that's turn-based.
I'd be happy then even if Cafe is severely underpowered.
My guess for Sega is Sonic Generations, Super Monkey Ball, Binary Domain, Phantasy Star Online 2, HOTD4 & EX Collection, and Saturn & Dreamcast for Virtual Console.

Penguin

lunchwithyuzo said:
My guess for Sega is Sonic Generations, Super Monkey Ball, Binary Domain, Phantasy Star Online 2, HOTD4 & EX Collection, and Saturn & Dreamcast for Virtual Console.

And the long-shot Skies of Arcadia 2, we already have the evolution of the VMU!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo named the N64, the NGC, the DS and the 3DS based on its most obvious feature.

N64: 64 Bits
NGC: It IS a damn cube
DS: Dual Screen
3DS: 3D Screen

So let's say they do the same thing this time and let's say the obvious feature is the touchscreen on the controller.

I have no idea.

Bisnic

BY2K said:
Nintendo named the N64, the NGC, the DS and the 3DS based on its most obvious feature.

So let's say they do the same thing this time and let's say the obvious feature is the touchscreen on the controller.

I have no idea.

The NT? Nintendo Touch? That would be kinda lazy though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
But Wii has brand recognition with the non-gaming audience, so they would want to incorporate it somehow.

Wii Stream. What could go wrong?

Yes, this joke has been done to death already

BY2K said:

I have no idea.
Wii Touch?
Finally a Wii you can touch!

BY2K said:

I have no idea.

Nintendo Touch Mii

BY2K said:

I have no idea.

DS is actually named Developer's System, not Dual Screen. And Wii doesn't even say anything about what the system actually does.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Graphics Horse said:
If it's cheap enough then definitely.

It's what this panel is made for but I don't know how much that would cost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsuCmu3SBb8
Perfect.

It would be really funny if nintendo actually manage to be the first to deliver a console that is the proverbial 'home entertainment centre' after Sony an MS spent so much time and effort this gen.

Krowley

ashbash159 said:
Touch the Wii Stream?

Fiil the wii striim as it touches you.

and back on topic...

I am really getting painfully desperate for more news. This is going to be a really long 9 days. I half expected at least one more thing to come out, but I'm starting to lose hope for that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
InsaneZero said:
DS is actually named Developer's System, not Dual Screen. And Wii doesn't even say anything about what the system actually does.

Did a mentioned the Wii? No.

lunchwithyuzo said:

I would go for HOTD4. IIRC, it's never seen the light of day outside of arcades.

BY2K said:

Yeah, and it's exclusion means that Nintendo doesn't have to follow that convention. Wii is the latest example, so I see Nintendo following on with those weird names than with its original naming scheme.

Poyunch

BY2K said:
4QWAW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom