• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bgassassin said:
So now you just hope they know that for sure. I love 'em, but Nintendo is bad about finding ways to gimp themselves. While some might feel I have high expectations, the fact that Nintendo has a history of doing that is what keeps me in check. I expect Cafe will be easily more powerful than PS360, but there will be something done (could be the controller for all we know) that puts a dent in the positive of being more powerful. I'm personally expecting a "Super Wii" so to speak. It mimics the Wii setup with more powerful components to blow by the current HD twins.

If they're going with a R700, then they've already fixed the biggest problem with the Wii's architecture. In fact, it's actually impossible for them to continue to use the GC/Wii architecture. They just don't produce that stuff anymore.

AceBandage said:
If they're going with a R700, then they've already fixed the biggest problem with the Wii's architecture. In fact, it's actually impossible for them to continue to use the GC/Wii architecture. They just don't produce that stuff anymore.

Indeed, R7xx is a completely new architecture compared to Flipper/Hollywood.
Reusing Flipper/Hollywood (and Gekko/Broadway) makes little sense in the next generation.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
herzogzwei1989 said:
16MB of embedded RAM on Cafe's GPU seems reasonable, I hope it proves to be true, though I'm not counting on it.
The amount will depend on what that memory will be generally used for. If it's mainly for vanilla fb, 360-style, then it could be even less than what a normal target-res-fb worth of mem would take, as they could go with tiling (the way xb360 had to go each time somebody decided to use fsaa on it). If it's something more akin to 'local GPU mem', ps2-style, then it would need to be able to hold an entire fb, and then some. We'll see.

Hero of Legend said:
I didn't know what it was until a couple of years back... and I sorta still don't. :p

I think... it's Japan's equivalent to Component correct?

It's closer to a VGA cable, but general purpose.

300px-D4_video_connector.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If those specs are anywhere close to true, it would be jizz-tastic. Long before we heard any rumors of Cafe's specs, I'd always hoped at minimum it would be as powerful as a 360 (heck, even PS3 level would be okay ;) ). To see Cafe been significantly more powerful than either would make me a happy panda.

I used to think that this level of power wouldn't be feasible for Nintendo (at least, post-Wii Nintendo), but I realized a few things. 1) Nintendo made a profit from the outset with the GC, yet was still a generational leap that could compete with the best from the other consoles. 2) Although Cafe will have a significant boost in power in comparison to the Wii, it's hardware is not bleeding edge tech. 3) Judging by the 3DS, Nintendo doesn't seem to have any problems charging up the ass for their machines now, so it would be a little bit more understandable.

Hylian said:
Well i was more referring to it as a good thing to be the ps2 of next gen. In a sence that people have been claiming the cafe to be only half generational leap compared to the Super HD twins. The stated numbers in turn would make it so close to what MS and Sony can be able to put forward next gen in terms of computational power. That it would be practically fully in the same generation , in the same way that ps2 fully part of the generation of its contemporary rival systems.

that is the best Nintendo could hope for :)
lets hope it works out that way

Fernando Rocker said:
Wouldn't be cheaper to use a newer version (R800 for example) as opposed to the R700? Do they still make the R700 series?

Well, you have to think that they were likely getting and designing parts in 2008/9. Maybe before the AMD5xxx series was readily avaliable.
But, who knows. Nintendo has a reason, obviously, but it's hard to say just what.

Fernando Rocker said:
Wouldn't be cheaper to use a newer version (R800 for example) as opposed to the R700? Do they still make the R700 series?

I think R800 is too power-hungry, but I'm really not certain. Someone else can probably answer this question for us.

Poyunch

richisawesome said:
Yeah, been posted long ago - and has generated speculation on everything from Zelda to Starfox to Pokemon.
It's got to be F-Zero. People have been begging for it for so long and it's one of those out of the way Nintendo properties that would be perfect in their hands.

AceBandage said:
Of course, they're all wrong.

StarTropics.jpg
But yeah I rather have this (since an F-Zero is almost inevitable at this point). <3

Oblivion said:
If those specs are anywhere close to true, it would be jizz-tastic. Long before we heard any rumors of Cafe's specs, I'd always hoped at minimum it would be as powerful as a 360 (heck, even PS3 level would be okay ;) ). To see Cafe been significantly more powerful than either would make me a happy panda.

I used to think that this level of power wouldn't be feasible for Nintendo (at least, post-Wii Nintendo), but I realized a few things. 1) Nintendo made a profit from the outset with the GC, yet was still a generational leap that could compete with the best from the other consoles. 2) Although Cafe will have a significant boost in power in comparison to the Wii, it's hardware is not bleeding edge tech. 3) Judging by the 3DS, Nintendo doesn't seem to have any problems charging up the ass for their machines now, so it would be a little bit more understandable.

I pretty much completely agree with you ^__^

This E3 is going to be the most exciting E3 ever, methinks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AceBandage said:
Of course, they're all wrong.

StarTropics.jpg

Reggie closes the conference with, "Kiss my ass, Uncharted."

Or:

"We're headed into 'uncharted' territory" and then puts on the sunglasses.

*cue "Won't Get Fooled Again."*

Plinko said:
Reggie closes the conference with, "Kiss my ass, Uncharted."

He rolls up his sleeve to reveal a tattoo of Nathan Drake with a circle and a line through him.

richisawesome said:
I never played StarTropics before. Maybe I'll seek out a copy after I've finished Terranigma.

If you have a Wii you can buy it on the VC.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Fernando Rocker said:
Nintendo isn't wandering inside a retail shop and say `I want 10 of those`. They probably decided with AMD to use the R700 design for Cafe years ago and heavily modified it to their needs.

richisawesome said:
Yeah, been posted long ago - and has generated speculation on everything from Zelda to Starfox to Pokemon.
Dear glob, how did I not see this on gaf?!?

Someone PLEASE tell me even a slightly logical reason behind thinking this!

KrawlMan

antonz said:
I think its safe to say the GC/Wii line of processors is dead for next gen. The chip they were based on could only rate to around the level the Wii is at now.

AceBandage said:

I agree about the CPU and GPU aspects being changed since we've been discussing that since the new first dropped. It's the memory part that I'm focused on since the news is pretty general. That's the area where I don't see them totally abandoning the GC/Wii architecture. I could easily see them using some varying amount of 1T-SRAM-R or 1T-SRAM-Q. Or heck, they might try to use that FCRAM that's in the 3DS to replace how they would have used 1T-SRAM. I just get the feeling that if 1GB, or even 1.5GB of memory, is true then it will be a mix of GDDR5 and something else. And I don't expect that something else to be XDR2 based on the rumored price range.

And let me get off this computer. I've been working in the heat and haven't eaten anything at all today.

blu

Vic said:
Nintendo isn't wandering inside a retail shop and say `I want 10 of those`. They probably decided with AMD to use the R700 design for Cafe years ago and heavily modified it to their needs.
Now is the time to recall that nintendo had a backup, more 'orthodox power jump' design this gen, in case wii failed.. Or was that for the ds?

Fernando Rocker said:

Or maybe they're using the top of the line R700 because the R800 version of the chip isn't ready yet, so they cram the best R700 into the devs kits for now.

I think R800 is too power-hungry, but I'm really not certain. Someone else can probably answer this question for us.

Nope, the opposite. The early R700 chips were very power hungry, but the R800 chips weren't. The 4770 had the best power/performance ratio when it was released.

Rich!

AceBandage said:
He rolls up his sleeve to reveal a tattoo of Nathan Drake with a circle and a line through him.

If you have a Wii you can buy it on the VC.

I have a wii, but no wii remote! Ha. I'll by another one when skyward sword is released...

blu said:
Now is the time to recall that nintendo had a backup, more 'orthodox' design this gen, in case wii failed.. Or was that for the ds?

That was the DS.
They had the rumored "Gameboy Evolution" designed just in case. It was suppose to be a shrunk down GC.

blu

AceBandage said:
That was the DS.
They had the rumored "Gameboy Evolution" designed just in case. It was suppose to be a shrunk down GC.
From The Dust said:
that was the DS
Thanks. I guess it's time for me to call it a day.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
So what happens if they only have two playable 1st party games and three playable 3rd party games, then show the rest on video? Missed opportunity? Is that enough to tide us over and build enough hype?

JohnTinker said:
So what happens if they only have two playable 1st party games and three playable 3rd party games, then show the rest on video? Missed opportunity? Is that enough to tide us over and build enough hype?

5 games playable a year+ before the system is out wouldn't be that bad, actually.
It's completely dependent on the TYPES of games, though.
We're going to see a lot of games named and development studios getting shout outs, regardless.

bgassassin said:
I agree about the CPU and GPU aspects being changed since we've been discussing that since the new first dropped. It's the memory part that I'm focused on since the news is pretty general. That's the area where I don't see them totally abandoning the GC/Wii architecture. I could easily see them using some varying amount of 1T-SRAM-R or 1T-SRAM-Q. Or heck, they might try to use that FCRAM that's in the 3DS to replace how they would have used 1T-SRAM. I just get the feeling that if 1GB, or even 1.5GB of memory, is true then it will be a mix of GDDR5 and something else. And I don't expect that something else to be XDR2 based on the rumored price range.

And let me get off this computer. I've been working in the heat and haven't eaten anything at all today.

What if they are including the Wii GPU inside the console for the BC feature and they use the rest of the hardware (new CPU and GPU) to emulate the CPU... just like the 60GB PS3.

Wii GPU must be extremely cheap these days.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
solblade00 said:
I'd like to see Retro's take on a 2D Metroid.

As would I but not for the Cafe. 3DS--absolutely.

Cow Mengde said:
Or maybe they're using the top of the line R700 because the R800 version of the chip isn't ready yet, so they cram the best R700 into the devs kits for now.

Would make sense.

Nope, the opposite. The early R700 chips were very power hungry, but the R800 chips weren't. The 4770 had the best power/performance ratio when it was released.

Okay then I stand corrected :)

antonz

herzogzwei1989 said:
Would make sense.

Okay then I stand corrected :)
Yeah the R800s are in a very simplified nutshell More power efficient with performance boost R700s. As I said thats super simplifying them but mostly accurate though R800 obviously has DX11 etc

Vic said:

R700, or more specifically, the RV770, is a damn good base from which to design a custom GPU, IMO.

Obviously an R800 would be even better though, it's got Shader Model 5.0 and tessellation, among other things.

As much as I love the Prime series, I would be happier to see Retro focused solely on new IP. It might be riskier from Nintendo's perspective, but that's the kind of risk Nintendo needs to take if they want to expand Cafe's Western core audience beyond devotees of its existing IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom