• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 announced

Revson

Project Cars on Xbox One is a buggy, unpolished mess that borders on being completely broken in several areas.

It is a bit troublesome that they're announcing a sequel so soon, as the original still has a long way to go in order to be a fully functional game.

_machine

And since people have already mentioned that it's "too soon", I heartily recommend you to check out an episode of Extra Credits called The Pre-Production Problem. From both a developer's standpoint as well as pCARS 2 WMD member, it really isn't a bad thing. It should end up in a better pre-production, thus a better product in the end and much better working conditions etc, as well as now people should have the chance to affect the core vision of the game much more than pCARS 1.

I do agree that it doesn't necessarily sound a good thing, but I believe being honest here is a much better choice than to develop in shadows for a long period of time, it will simply result in a much better product and it also won't/shouldn't take away anything from the original title.

As I said, even if they're updating the current one, do I want to go buy that if a whole new version is already on the way?

Depends on what the development process is with it, and more specifically how long it takes before the first usable builds come out to backers. You would think they wouldn't have those out for at least a year so they don't cannibalize the first game, but who knows.

Megasoum

Banned
A couple of things to clarify

1-The support for Project CARS 1 will continue with a lot more patches and DLC in the next year

2-This is not "Fast"... When a game is shipped, the studio that made it has to start working on the next thing right away. What, you think that the 100 devs just sit at their desks browsing the web for a year before starting work again after shipping a game? If you don't want to have to lay off your staff you gotta keep them occupied.

DavidDesu

Crowd funding again... Seems odd. Surely given the sales success they could do a deal with a publisher for more immediate funds and marketing deals etc. Seems cheeky asking fans to fund a further game... There's a good chance it'll be going up against GT7 so it'll need to be good! Also it kind of puts me off buying first one at all now until there's a really good deal on it.

Tripolygon

Banned
As I said, even if they're updating the current one, why do I want to go buy that if a whole new version is already on the way?
Think of it this way. You didn't support them from the start so this announcement is not for you. They are a community driven development studio. ProjectCars 2 will follow the same iterative development as the first one. People who want in can jump in early and follow the development progress.

_machine

Crowd funding again... Seems odd. Surely given the sales success they could do a deal with a publisher for more immediate funds and marketing deals etc. Seems cheeky asking fans to fund a further game... There's a good chance it'll be going up against GT7 so it'll need to be good! Also it kind of puts me off buying first one at all now until there's a really good deal on it.
Well they aren't completely funding the game per se (there's no target nor do they seem to be under any financial pressure), but it's more like continuing WMD and improving upon it and giving members the chance to keep on contributing in an updated environment. The lack of returns this time is a shame, but not much they could do there.

Xiraiya

A couple of things to clarify

1-The support for Project CARS 1 will continue with a lot more patches and DLC in the next year

2-This is not "Fast"... When a game is shipped, the studio that made it has to start working on the next thing right away. What, you think that the 100 devs just sit at their desks browsing the web for a year before starting work again after shipping a game? If you don't want to have to lay off your staff you gotta keep them occupied.
It's the announcement that kills the incentive to play the first one, and honestly I was under the impression Project CARS was more of a platform that would evolve and be built on rather than have sequels.

As I said, even if they're updating the current one, why do I want to go buy that if a whole new version is already on the way?

You probably don't want it. If I knew this announcement was coming so soon I wouldn't have even considered buying the original. Too bad I can't get a refund on PSN.

oxidax

Why not fix your game first? All of those stuff that they're announcing could be updated into pc1 or released as dlc + patches. This is some Bullshit.

KHlover

Banned
lol this is like Left4Dead 2, except worse. Didn't even wait a year and are even using crowdfunding although their game sold over a million copies so far.

I hope that crowdfunding campaign goes down in ashes, don't think it'd set a good signal if this kind of action would actually be rewarded. Too bad I didn't buy Project CARS during the steam sales, would have been a great opportunity to test out the refund feature.

Megasoum

Banned
It's the announcement that kills the incentive to play the first one, and honestly I was under the impression Project CARS was more of a platform that would evolve and be built on rather than have sequels.

If the accouncement about a game coming out it 2 years killed the enjoyement to play the previous game nobody would ever buy a sports game or a Call of Duty.

Z3M0G

Why announce this early? Many people wouldn't have purchased the first one yet... and may not knowing this is coming...

So there is no point to buying Project CARS now? Even if they're updating the first one, why do I want to play that if a whole new version is coming out?
You probably don't want it. If I knew this announcement was coming so soon I wouldn't have even considered buying the original. Too bad I can't get a refund on PSN.
It's the announcement that kills the incentive to play the first one
This isn't a good move imo.

I was going to buy PCARS 1 but now I'll just wait PCARS 2.

You can't play an announcement. But feel free to wait until 2018 to jump in if that really seems reasonable to you. After all, that's 'so soon'

lmfao

bathsalts

Assetto Corsa is what kills the incentive to play the first one.

TheCrow

You can't play an announcement. But feel free to wait until 2018 to jump in if that really seems reasonable to you. After all, that's 'so soon'

This. There is a bunch of naive people in here. And this is coming from someone who just bought Project Cars. Excited to see what the sequel brings.

ethomaz

Banned
The first game was a rushed launch... very few content... just a Alpha/Beta.

Maybe pCARs 2 is the real game.

Benedict

This seems fucked up. No reason for me to buy Project Cars now.
I thought they would build on this game as a platform, not "abandon" it right away.
And no, it doesn't matter if they will continue to support the game, nobody knows for how long.

It's more the fact that they're announcing the sequel when the first game is still in Beta and are STILL crowdfunding after the first game apparently did 'amazing.' Seems shady and I don't want to support it.

I thought they would build on this game as a platform, not "abandon" it right away.
And no, it doesn't matter if they will continue to support the game, nobody knows for how long.

This too.

Xiraiya

Think of it this way. You didn't support them from the start so this announcement is not for you. They are a community driven development studio. ProjectCars 2 will follow the same iterative development as the first one. People who want in can jump in early and follow the development progress.
I suppose I can see the logic behind that, but as an outsider who saw project CARS and wants a Gran Turismo experience on PC, it simply gives you the impression it's a game that will be continuously built on rather than yearly re-release, but it just seems a little weird is all, because it's like yeah they're supporting the current one, but now I just want to wait for the newest one instead and not buy the first one.

But I would have been more than happy to buy the first one and buy DLC and whatever for it if it was eventually going to become the sequel over time from all the updates.

Magitex

and honestly I was under the impression Project CARS was more of a platform that would evolve and be built on rather than have sequels.
Yeah it's more than a little disappointing. I would've thought they'd spend time overhauling the existing game / adding expansions.

All around terrible idea announcing it in any case, Ian Bell at work again I suspect. He just doesn't seem to consider people.

Sorc3r3r

And since people have already mentioned that it's "too soon", I heartily recommend you to check out an episode of Extra Credits called The Pre-Production Problem. From both a developer's standpoint as well as pCARS 2 WMD member, it really isn't a bad thing. It should end up in a better pre-production, thus a better product in the end and much better working conditions etc, as well as now people should have the chance to affect the core vision of the game much more than pCARS 1.

I do agree that it doesn't necessarily sound a good thing, but I believe being honest here is a much better choice than to develop in shadows for a long period of time, it will simply result in a much better product and it also won't/shouldn't take away anything from the original title.

Yeah its fair and all.
But I'm having the impression that SMS left pCars into the dust, since the release we got, if my memory is working right, just a patch, and the game, far to be broken, mind you, is still very buggy, the experience is not what is was expecting buying a full price title.
What are they doing?
I was not expecting a sequel announcement, not with their first game in needs of fixes.
I am enjoying the game but i must see their commitment, is a trust thingy instead my interest for the sequel will be zero.

thefro

It's more the fact that they're announcing the sequel when the first game is still in Beta and are STILL crowdfunding after the first game apparently did 'amazing.' Seems shady and I don't want to support it.

Yep, my thinking on the matter is that studios shouldn't crowdfund after a successful game except for preorder-type stuff. No begging for people to drop thousands of dollars.

Magitex

I have to admit, this part really is the best:
Project cars 2 said:
CO-OP CAREER - Play as the Teammate Driver, Spotter, Driver Swap, or Co-Pilot. More choices, more opportunities, more strategy, greater risks and greater rewards

_machine

I know that it goes past 2015: http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2015/06/unnamed4-720x1785.jpg (at least 8 months of packages left, including indy car racing, 12 locations etc.)

Yeah its fair and all.
But I'm having the impression that SMS left pCars into the dust, since the release we got, if my memory is working right, just a patch, and the game, far to be broken, mind you, is still very buggy, the experience is not what is was expecting buying a full price title.
What are they doing?
I was not expecting a sequel announcement, not with their first game in needs of fixes.
I am enjoying the game but i must see their comitment, is a trust thingy instead my interest for the sequel will be zero.
They have over 40 staff working on pCARS (which I quite a lot for them), bug fixes, features, content etc (see above). So they aren't really leaving it as it stands now. That said, there are plenty of issues they are working and they have acknowledged they are by far the priority at the moment. Not that game designer or directors can do much for that, which is exactly why there is nothing wrong here.

Megasoum

Banned
You just sold 4 million copies, why do you need crowdfunding again?

Because they want to stay independant and use the fan's help to build the game (not just for the money but for their input too). If they decided to go through the traditional route then they would be stuck with a Publisher breathing down their neck for the next 2-3 years.

Kysen

I think this is a bad move, there is so much they could add to the first game. I guess keeping the whole studio in work necessitates a full priced retail release. Instead of continuous updates like a service.

Megasoum

Banned
I think this is a bad move, there is so much they could add to the first game. I guess keeping the whole studio in work necessitates a full priced retail release. Instead of continuous updates like a service.

Sigh... They are still adding a TON of stuff to pCARS1.

People really need to realize that a game is not made overnight. It takes 2-3 years to make a modern game (especially on a small budget and with only 100 devs like pCARS).

Now think about it this way. Do you think it would make sense to release a sequel to pCARS in 2-3 years? If the answer is yes (and it is..) then they have to start working on it right now.

The only difference between pCARS and any other big games in developpement right now is that SMS are actually open about the whole process and don't try to hide behind PR and embargos.

DieH@rd

Banned
Didn't Project Cars JUST come out after years of it being announced? I remember reading about it in 2013.

And same as pcars1, pcars2 will again be crowdfunded. That demands much earlier announcement.

And in the meantime, pcars1 will get shitton of new content.

While I'd personally wish no game announcements would have us wait longer than 6 months to the final game release (so many games feel either overhyped or suffer from early hype oversaturation leading to inflation or collapse), it makes sense to announce a "mass-developed" game so early... or at least I hope it's really early in this case and there isn't another PCARS before christmas or so.

Drifters

Boy... #Driveclub Season 2 now doesn't sound as stupid as Project Cars 2. I can't believe they are announcing this already.

Kouriozan

No surprise, they told us about it not so long ago.
Time to announce the Wii U port.

NX this time?
0DzhW.jpg

Top Bottom