• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

fresquito

It's not critical in the grand scheme of things but I just think it's a shame that they've overlooked this detail while striving for authenticity in a lot of other areas, especially for something that's always front and centre for anyone racing in cockpit view with visible arms. There was a neon blue pair doing the rounds a while ago that looked utterly ridiculous, but maybe they've all been improved since then.

The fake branding and phony advertising hoardings in pCARS irked me in a similar way, so maybe I'm just a fussy bastard.
I don't care about brands. My favorite sim of yesterday was LFS, which only had one real car and it was a Formula BMW. Imagine how much I care about fictional gloves ;-)

It doesn't run fine, you need a 1080 Ti card for a solid 90FPS. Looking at the benchmarks, anything less gives you just 45FPS+reprojection no matter how drastically you drop graphics quality. It's playable, but obviously not designed for VR and I didn't want to play it for very long even though I had access to a wheel setup. Very important to know if they have substantially improved the VR performance and if 90FPS lock is achievable on more mundane cards like a 1070.
90 fps in VR with a 1070 in the rain will require quite a lot of tinkering and lowering settings, that's garanteed.

The 1070 is not a card meant to support VR properly in today's games. Anybody saying otherwise is trying to sell you one.

Just gone from a G29 to a T300 in the last two weeks, no contest. T300 is miles better and much less toy-like.
The T300 only downfall is the laughable pedals that come in other editions. But GT edition comes with three pedals. The base is just so much better.

Water

90 fps in VR with a 1070 in the rain will require quite a lot of tinkering and lowering settings, that's garanteed.

The 1070 is not a card meant to support VR properly in today's games. Anybody saying otherwise is trying to sell you one.
But for PCars, what I remember from the benchmarks is that a 1080 isn't enough either because the frametimes are so inconsistent. Wouldn't be a problem on a variable refresh rate display, but for VR it's poor performance when you need to absolutely crush the game with the 1080 Ti to get to the 90FPS native refresh rate. The game doesn't look so spectacular that it should require the absolute top card on the market for smooth performance on low-medium settings.

fresquito

But for PCars, what I remember from the benchmarks is that a 1080 isn't enough either because the frametimes are so inconsistent. Wouldn't be a problem on a variable refresh rate display, but for VR it's poor performance when you need to absolutely crush the game with the 1080 Ti to get to the 90FPS native refresh rate. The game doesn't look so spectacular that it should require the absolute top card on the market for smooth performance on low-medium settings.
Unless you are setting AA to something crazy, such as DSX4+, I don't see how you can't achieve superb performance with a 1080ti.

Mascot

It doesn't run fine, you need a 1080 Ti card for a solid 90FPS. Looking at the benchmarks, anything less gives you just 45FPS+reprojection no matter how drastically you drop graphics quality. It's playable, but obviously not designed for VR and I didn't want to play it for very long even though I had access to a wheel setup. Very important to know if they have substantially improved the VR performance and if 90FPS lock is achievable on more mundane cards like a 1070.

45fps + ASW does a good job though, I reckon. That's what I meant by 'fine'. I certainly have no problems with it on a 6600k and 980Ti.

I even dropped everything down to low settings and hot lapped with a 90fps lock, and I really couldn't tell the difference between that and 45fps + ASW.

"Unless you are seting AA to something crazy, such as DSX4+, I don't see how you can't achieve superb performance with a 1080ti."

The context of the conversation is VR and PCars 1 VR performance is notoriously poor.

fresquito

"Unless you are seting AA to something crazy, such as DSX4+, I don't see how you can't achieve superb performance with a 1080ti."

The context of the conversation is VR and PCars 1 VR performance is notoriously poor.
I'm not talking about the final experience, but pure performance. VR is 2K and the 1080ti is capable of so much more than that.

Leeroy605

The T300 only downfall is the laughable pedals that come in other editions. But GT edition comes with three pedals. The base is just so much better.

Yeah heard they were bad, got the Ferrari Alcantara edition that comes with the T3PA non pro pedals and happy with them! Haven't felt like they were a downgrade form the G29 pedals.

"I'm not talking about the final experience, but pure performance. VR is 2K and the 1080ti is capable of so much more than that."

You're (sort of) correct in that a 1080ti *should* be capable of stellar performance (by VR standards at lower settings), which is why it's baffling that PCars 1 VR performance was as bad as it was, even with everything on low.

However, you're also incorrect--VR isn't simply "2K." It's rendering twice (once per eye), which has a significant impact on performance in any game.

Water

Unless you are setting AA to something crazy, such as DSX4+, I don't see how you can't achieve superb performance with a 1080ti.

You can achieve decent performance with the 1080 Ti, the problem is that you can't achieve it with any other card. If the engine was better optimized for VR, particularly if the frametimes were more consistent, weaker cards would provide a good experience. It's not that hard to get >90FPS average, but the slow frames murder the game in VR. The lack of optimization also means the 1080 Ti's power is wasted. You can't crank up the settings with it because you need a huge power reserve to get through the slow frames without dropping below 90FPS.

Mascot

You can achieve decent performance with the 1080 Ti, the problem is that you can't achieve it with any other card. If the engine was better optimized for VR, particularly if the frametimes were more consistent, weaker cards would provide a good experience. It's not that hard to get >90FPS average, but the slow frames murder the game in VR. The lack of optimization also means the 1080 Ti's power is wasted. You can't crank up the settings with it because you need a huge power reserve to get through the slow frames without dropping below 90FPS.

Have you tried a 45fps lock with ASW? I honestly found it absolutely fine. I can run a large grid of AI in a thunderstorm with medium settings (all I really need for VR with the compromise in resolution) and it seems smooth as silk. And I'm normally a sensitive fucker when it comes to framerates.

fresquito

"I'm not talking about the final experience, but pure performance. VR is 2K and the 1080ti is capable of so much more than that."

You're (sort of) correct in that a 1080ti *should* be capable of stellar performance (by VR standards at lower settings), which is why it's baffling that PCars 1 VR performance was as bad as it was, even with everything on low.

However, you're also incorrect--VR isn't simply "2K." It's rendering twice (once per eye), which has a significant impact on performance in any game.
I'm really not familiar with the difference between 2K and 1K per eye. I stand corrected, anyway.

Water

Have you tried a 45fps lock with ASW? I honestly found it absolutely fine. I can run a large grid of AI in a thunderstorm with medium settings (all I really need for VR with the compromise in resolution) and it seems smooth as silk. And I'm normally a sensitive fucker when it comes to framerates.
45FPS with reprojection was my only option since all I had was a 1070. Like I said, it was playable but I felt it really needed more framerate. The resolution of the Vive is disturbingly low for this type of game (I feel like I'm constantly squinting to see when the next corner is coming up on high speed straights - the nature of the game draws attention to the shortcomings of the hardware), but having better motion resolution from higher framerate would help with that. Presence is a bit weak with 45FPS as well.

Also, for me low-speed courses, lots of corners and drifting are a big part of the fun in car games. Those conditions also minimize the effect of the resolution deficit since objects of interest are closer. At the same time, reprojection isn't effective when you look sideways a lot, so there's no substitute for true higher framerate.

Mascot

45FPS with reprojection was my only option since all I had was a 1070. Like I said, it was playable but I felt it really needed more framerate. The resolution of the Vive is disturbingly low for this type of game (I feel like I'm constantly squinting to see when the next corner is coming up on high speed straights - the nature of the game draws attention to the shortcomings of the hardware), but having better motion resolution from higher framerate would help with that. Presence is a bit weak with 45FPS as well.

Also, for me low-speed courses, lots of corners and drifting are a big part of the fun in car games. Those conditions also minimize the effect of the resolution deficit since objects of interest are closer. At the same time, reprojection isn't effective when you look sideways a lot, so there's no substitute for true higher framerate.

I know some people don't like ASW but I must be one of the lucky ones who can't seem to tell the difference between [45fps+ASW] and 90fps. I was playing Assetto Corsa at 90fps (with the framerate app running for constant reference) then switched to pCARS and was surprised to still be getting 90fps, as I'd heard pCARS was taxing in VR. It was only after monitoring that I realised I was playing pCARS at 45fps with ASW. I seriously couldn't tell the difference.

This made me go back into Assetto Corsa and pump EVERYTHING up to max with 1.5 SS to drop the framerate to 45 with ASW. It still ran good to my eyes, and what I thought might be artifacts and ghosting were still there when I dropped details down to minimum and got a locked native 90fps. Maybe it's a difference in the Vive and Rift hardware, but 45fps with ASW does a stellar job for me in sims (which is all I ever use my Rift for anyway). And I do a LOT of quick left-right looking around, including glancing over my shoulder a lot.

Forcing 45fps with ASW is actually preferred to 90fps if the 90fps isn't rock-solid, as there will always be a stutter when ASW kicks in and out.

Darkdeus

Yea I can't tell the difference either. 45 with ASW feels great to me Pcars 2 and Assetto Corsa.

Pcars 2 is just amazing in VR. It's such as step up in terms of graphics and immersion to me. Really excited for everyone to try it out.

Yea I can't tell the difference either. 45 with ASW feels great to me Pcars 2 and Assetto Corsa.

Pcars 2 is just amazing in VR. It's such as step up in terms of graphics and immersion to me. Really excited for everyone to try it out.

That's great to hear that PCars 2 is an improvement in VR. Can't freakin wait!!

Darkdeus

A few teaser pics downsampled from 8K resolution to whet your guys appetite:

36171885450_bf78e9d230_b.jpg

35733729484_0eb51e6e34_b.jpg

35733728954_4242851d6b_b.jpg

36573735255_9991b4c0d4_b.jpg

35733727964_374f75480c_b.jpg

36177054050_5d27379e4d_b.jpg

36177054230_e2a33bba47_b.jpg

Full Galleries:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/albums/72157687605088095
http://imgur.com/a/Hdcb8

Type_Raver

Hey all, looking impressive and im especially loving the feedback from the previews about the handling/tyre models improvement. Plus the new car, inclusion of other Japanese and European brands, and my favourite, they added Sugo! (its like they heard my feedback on multiple forums i posted on).

Now, I heard that theres an early bird pre-order (online?) which is available and includes some bonus content?? Anyone know anymore about this?

Duude, that Bac Mono pic is real, right? Mixed one in there to fool us right?

Compared to most guys I'm pretty indifferent about graphics (it was different in the early 2000s), but it does look better than most people will get the game credit for. Thanks for the shots!

fresquito

Duude, that Bac Mono pic is real, right? Mixed one in there to fool us right?

Compared to most guys I'm pretty indifferent about graphics (it was different in the early 2000s), but it does look better than most people will get the game credit for. Thanks for the shots!
To be honest, people are hard to give credit to the game. Console players seem to be only interested in their respective exclusive, while PC gamers think it is an arcade.

The game should have made turn many heads by now. But I guess PC1 had the numbers, but numbers alone don't tell the story? Plus so many fanboys are afraid to see their beloved kings dethroned.

Mascot

To be honest, people are hard to give credit to the game. Console players seem to be only interested in their respective exclusive, while PC gamers think it is an arcade.

The game should have made turn many heads by now. But I guess PC1 had the numbers, but numbers alone don't tell the story? Plus so many fanboys are afraid to see their beloved kings dethroned.

By FAR the biggest factor in this (in my opinion, of course) is the franchise's reputation (fair or not) from the first game, and the hangover from the Shift series .
With pCARS, pad players were alienated right from the very start due to the terrible default controls. That's a huge chunk of your user base WTFing their way back to the shop for a trade-in within a couple of days. I know a lot of people like this who believe me were VERY excited for the game but abandoned it within a week.
Wheel players were similarly alienated by the awful default car set-ups and FFB, and the incomprehensible tuning menus.
Then there was the infestation of bugs, some of them game-breaking. Some of them eventually fixed, some of them not. I give credit to SMS for the monthly updates but looking back at the patch note history is a horror show. I remember the land mines and the pit prisons but I'd forgotten about things like the bonnet reflections sliding in from the side. The game was a bit of a disaster early on.
There's no doubt Joe Public already had doubts and preconceptions from the physics and FFB in the Shift series, but that prejudging is probably much worse after pCARS. A lot of players felt burned by the first game, and still do. That's obvious from ANY forum discussion about the pCARS series and ANY glance at YouTube comments, even allowing for normal toxicity. Project CARS has kind of become some sim racing meme for a lot of folks, and it's a massive hurdle to navigate.

I had a lot of fun in pCARS and I'm thankful to SMS for their ambition and for giving an authentic race weekend structure to the game, but I'm not blind to its deficiencies. I'm just hoping pCARS 2 will silence the critics once and for all and bring back those who have abandoned the franchise.

fresquito

Well, I could agree with everything you say if not because it was the same for Project CARS before it was released and all the problems where discovered. Project CARS was heated long before it could be right or wrong. What you say is probably the reason why this thick halo of indiference is flying about the game.

This may well be a slow burner, specially on PC and PS4.

But I really think that if pCARS2 feels - as I said before - good and realistic enough to not have a disconnect, has way less bugs and gives the pad players the feeling of "no, that totally was my mistake and not the game's shitty controller implementation", then good word of mouth will make more and more pCARS1 haters try it and carry the game to a point where people will look back at pCARS1 as this title where SMS didn't have the resources (money, people, time) to pull off what they set out to do, but it was a necessary step on their learning curve before this now beloved pCARS2.

If you have an amazing game, people will love even they criticized you a lot before, look at DiRT Rally and the shit Codemasters got for DiRT Showdown and how few people bought GRID2 or Autosport. I think WRC7 has a chance too this year, to make people forget about any bad experience they had with those games before and have it better received by the rally sim community than DiRT 4.

By FAR the biggest factor in this (in my opinion, of course) is the franchise's reputation (fair or not) from the first game, and the hangover from the Shift series .
With pCARS, pad players were alienated right from the very start due to the terrible default controls. That's a huge chunk of your user base WTFing their way back to the shop for a trade-in within a couple of days. I know a lot of people like this who believe me were VERY excited for the game but abandoned it within a week.
Wheel players were similarly alienated by the awful default car set-ups and FFB, and the incomprehensible tuning menus.
Then there was the infestation of bugs, some of them game-breaking. Some of them eventually fixed, some of them not. I give credit to SMS for the monthly updates but looking back at the patch note history is a horror show. I remember the land mines and the pit prisons but I'd forgotten about things like the bonnet reflections sliding in from the side. The game was a bit of a disaster early on.
There's no doubt Joe Public already had doubts and preconceptions from the physics and FFB in the Shift series, but that prejudging is probably much worse after pCARS. A lot of players felt burned by the first game, and still do. That's obvious from ANY forum discussion about the pCARS series and ANY glance at YouTube comments, even allowing for normal toxicity. Project CARS has kind of become some sim racing meme for a lot of folks, and it's a massive hurdle to navigate.

I had a lot of fun in pCARS and I'm thankful to SMS for their ambition and for giving an authentic race weekend structure to the game, but I'm not blind to its deficiencies. I'm just hoping pCARS 2 will silence the critics once and for all and bring back those who have abandoned the franchise.

I think people were also disappointed because there are a lot of dudes who worked on GTL and GTR2 in SMS, both considered some of the best racing sims ever, so people expected something similar with Pcars and didn't get it.

But I really think that if pCARS2 feels - as I said before - good and realistic enough to not have a disconnect, has way less bugs and gives the pad players the feeling of "no, that totally was my mistake and not the game's shitty controller implementation", then good word of mouth will make more and more pCARS1 haters try it and carry the game to a point where people will look back at pCARS1 as this title where SMS didn't have the resources (money, people, time) to pull off what they set out to do, but it was a necessary step on their learning curve before this now beloved pCARS2.

If you have an amazing game, people will love even they criticized you a lot before, look at DiRT Rally and the shit Codemasters got for DiRT Showdown and how few people bought GRID2 or Autosport. I think WRC7 has a chance too this year, to make people forget about any bad experience they had with those games before and have it better received by the rally sim community than DiRT 4.

Kinda bummed Codies tried to appeal more to the casual market again with Dirt 4, though not as much as 2, 3 and Showdown. But still 4 was a pretty big step down from Rally.

fresquito

I honestly am beyond the point of caring. I'm having such a blast with the game, I don't give a damn about what others think. I just had a blast (a very scary blast with lots of repetition because I'm not as skilled as I would like to be) with a Escort at the White Hell. I recorded it (super slow run after giving up on making some kind of greatness), so I should be allowed to publish it soon enough.

The more I read and hear people comparing this to Assetto, iRacing, GTSport, Forza or any other game, the more I think they just don't get what this game has to offer.

I honestly am beyond the point of caring. I'm having such a blast with the game, I don't give a damn about what others think. I just had a blast (a very scary blast with lots of repetition because I'm not as skilled as I would like to be) with a Escort at the White Hell. I recorded it (super slow run after giving up on making some kind of greatness), so I should be allowed to publish it soon enough.

The more I read and hear people comparing this to Assetto, iRacing, GTSport, Forza or any other game, the more I think they just don't get what this game has to offer.

This is good to hear.

danowat

Banned

Lol, you sound so much like Ian Bell right now!!!

;)

Mascot

Well, I could agree with everything you say if not because it was the same for Project CARS before it was released and all the problems where discovered. Project CARS was heated long before it could be right or wrong. What you say is probably the reason why this thick halo of indiference is flying about the game.

This may well be a slow burner, specially on PC and PS4.

Of course, another factor in some buyers feeling 'burned' by the first game (or conned, as some of them seem to say) could be the perception that WMDers had personal financial reasons to promote the game and gloss over its problems in the run up to launch, so a lot of trust seems to have been lost there. There's also the closed-ranks defence that got erected when the criticism started to hit, which some people perhaps saw as a denial that anything was wrong. It was interesting to see that almost all of these deficiencies (in pad control, in FFB, in default set-ups etc etc) were only really officially acknowledged when promotion for pCARS 2 commenced and these things were raised as things that were being fixed in the second game. But that's just sensible business practice, I guess.

A third factor could have been the slightly aggressive way Ian Bell dealt with criticism in the early days. His recent posts over on GT Planet have gone a long way to correcting that though, and I think he's gained a lot of subsequent respect for his openness now.

It sounds like I'm having a pop at pCARS but as I've always said, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it over the past couple of years and am greatly looking forward to the sequel. I've always been pragmatic about the problems with the first game and realise that SMS took on a highly ambitious project that was bound to have some issues with final execution. It's good to hear that those areas seem to have been addressed for the second game.

danowat

Banned
It sounds like I'm having a pop at pCARS but as I've always said, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with it over the past couple of years and am greatly looking forward to the sequel. I've always been pragmatic about the problems with the first game and realise that SMS took on a highly ambitious project that was bound to have some issues with final execution. It's good to hear that those areas seem to have been addressed for the second game.

I had a lot of hours of fun (and quite a few of frustration) out of the first one, despite it's issues, and the amount of issues it had means that it must have been a good game to have that amount of fun out of it despite those issues.

I am looking forward to seeing how PC2 is received, especially by the console crowd.

I've asked before, but I'll ask again, I assume it can't be far away from going gold now?, only just over a month out from release.

fresquito

I don't really think I would've be posting here had I not created LFO Club. I can't understand this game series without my community. But if I try to make some sense out of my feelings, back then, before it was released and at the release time frame, I was feeling quite burnt with WMD and with the big heads at SMS. WMD was this black and white world, where I didn't seem to have a place in. Some people seemed to be more invested emotionally than the staff itself. they were so adamant about any criticism, it was hard to give any meaningfulñ feedback because everything was perfect. Then you had these super entitled people that thought 10€ made them game producers. I was both a troll and a fanatic, depending on who was reading me.

I was not happy with many things in PC1. Releasing the game unfinished is only second to never finishing it once released. I don't think I would have played so much and have gotten to know the ins and outs so well by myself. That would have been my loss, entirely. Project CARS 1 is what it is, but when people talk about it, they never talk about the gargantuan track selection, or the special love put into one and every car; desptie some not feeling great, they are unique. People never talk about unparalleled thrill of driving or about how each time you drive, it doesn't feel like you're racing on a preset scenario, but a living place where small changes make a big difference.

But that's a story that needs to be put to sleep now, because that was that and now things are different. I'm sure PC2 will have things to address in the coming months. I know it will not be perfect from the get go, how could it be? But just tell me where can you experience something like THIS? Why would you compare this to any other racing game?

And before you question: Yes, it acts and feels how I think it should act and feel, out of the gate.

Mascot

I don't really think I would've be posting here had I not created LFO Club. I can't understand this game series without my community. But if I try to make some sense out of my feelings, back then, before it was released and at the release time frame, I was feeling quite burnt with WMD and with the big heads at SMS. WMD was this black and white world, where I didn't seem to have a place in. Some people seemed to be more invested emotionally than the staff itself. they were so adamant about any criticism, it was hard to give any meaningfulñ feedback because everything was perfect. Then you had these super entitled people that thought 10€ made them game producers. I was both a troll and a fanatic, depending on who was reading me.

I was not happy with many things in PC1. Releasing the game unfinished is only second to never finishing it once released. I don't think I would have played so much and have gotten to know the ins and outs so well by myself. That would have been my loss, entirely. Project CARS 1 is what it is, but when people talk about it, they never talk about the gargantuan track selection, or the special love put into one and every car; desptie some not feeling great, they are unique. People never talk about unparalleled thrill of driving or about how each time you drive, it doesn't feel like you're racing on a preset scenario, but a living place where small changes make a big difference.

But that's a story that needs to be put to sleep now, because that was that and now things are different. I'm sure PC2 will have things to address in the coming months. I know it will not be perfect from the get go, how could it be? But just tell me where can you experience something like THIS? Why would you compare this to any other racing game?

And before you question: Yes, it acts and feels how I think it should act and feel, out of the gate.

I think we are both singing from the same hymn sheet. Project CARS should, on paper, be the perfect racing sim. Like you say, no other sim offers the wealth of options and experiences that pCARS does.

We know pCARS 2 expands on the track count, adds new surfaces, fleshes the day/night cycle out with proper seasonal changes and includes premier marques missing from the first game. Those are all facts. I'm just hoping the subjective things are as good as I keep hearing: the FFB, the progressive grip, the default setups, how everything comes together to create that intangible overall feel so that the game meshes with my instincts.

It's the FFB that I'm most interested in, and if it really is totally physics-driven this time around then hopefully that weird sprung-centre feel of pCARS 1 will be a distant memory, because with default setups the first game often feels like playing with one of those 1980s steering wheels with rubber bungees attached, constantly trying to return the wheel to a central position.

I can't wait to try it.

Darkdeus

Shot gif I made from a replay. The cars and lighting looks very good in motion. The suspension is really alive compared the replays in Project Cars 1.

giphy.gif

Shot gif I made from a replay. The cars and lighting looks very good in motion. The suspension is really alive compared the replays in Project Cars 1.

I was jealous of these early iRacing suspension movement gifs when all I had was Forza 3 and GT5 with a pad, but these days... Forza 5 had some similarly cool gifs and the dampers in that game aren't realistic at all. GT Sport has amazing suspension gifs, but they all feel pretty soft, even though I've seen GT3 (GT vision GT3 though) cars from the GTS beta with spring rates of over 300,000N/m which is as stiff as the natural spring rate of a slick tire, meaning it's super stiff and a good portion of the bumps are absorbed by tire deformation and not suspension movement, yet it never looks or feels very stiff.

That's why I don't trust any of these cool suspension gifs anymore at all, from no game. It's good for showing that a game can look cool, but it doesn't say jack shit about physics.

low-G

I'm really not familiar with the difference between 2K and 1K per eye. I stand corrected, anyway.

Didn't seem like anyone clarified for you, so here goes: Since each eye has a different perspective on the geometry (different angles), it actually requires you to render EVERYTHING in the scene again.

In 3D graphics there are multiple stages of rendering, like a car assembly line. Shaky analogy time: A high resolution game is like putting leather seats in a car that's already built. (You only do the geometry once), but in VR for every 'frame' you need two complete cars. So instead of building one car and making it deluxe, you build two complete cars at the same time.

Now to increase the difficulty even more, since this is VR, you can't have cars waiting on the assembly line, lining up. If you have 3 cars (frames) in line to render, that'll add lots of latency and make people vomit.

So, you have to clear the ENTIRE assembly line every time you make a car. That's a terribly inefficient assembly line, but that's how non-VR games are made and that's why we have all that input lag in normal games.

fresquito

Thanks for the explanation!

Super late edit:

Today I made my first race with the AI using a wheel. I was quite impressed. I had raced against it in the past while using a gamepad and with lower settings, but this time I went for 110/120 dificulty and 80/100 aggression as my starting point. I had a very fun race. Some points:
  • First turn. I did not see any pile up, but they still have problems managing going through them at very fast pace. You can gain some positions easily.
  • Speed: They are the same speed as the player. When you catch them in the straight is because you made a better turn. If you do it worse, you will not catch them.
  • Turning: Overall pretty good. They have similar braking points to mine. I was feeling confident racing behind them, keeping close quarters, for the biggest part of the circuit. There're some corners they are too slow and that's where I overtook them. If SMS end up nailing the AIW of every circuit, they will be quite challenging. As it is now, they are mostly fine, but these turns cost them dearly.
  • Contact: They try to avoid contact with the player at all costs. I was really surprised by them reacting to me. They dive deep when they have the chance, they attack your mistakes, but they seem to always make sure you have enough room.
  • Other activity: They make mistakes, small and big, and they fight for positions between them. It's quite the thing playing SP and thinking: Okay, they are in a fight now, it will help me catching up.
Disclaimer: this is my experience with TC Class @ Sugo, which is a wide track with not many sharp turns.

Video: Project CARS 2 [WiP] - Opel Astra TCR @ Sugo [Touring Car Class Race]

Mascot

Thanks for the explanation!

Super late edit:

Today I made my first race with the AI using a wheel. I was quite impressed. I had raced against it in the past while using a gamepad and with lower settings, but this time I went for 110/120 dificulty and 80/100 aggression as my starting point. I had a very fun race. Some points:
  • First turn. I did not see any pile up, but they still have problems managing going through them at very fast pace. You can gain some positions easily.
  • Speed: They are the same speed as the player. When you catch them in the straight is because you made a better turn. If you do it worse, you will not catch them.
  • Turning: Overall pretty good. They have similar braking points to mine. I was feeling confident racing behind them, keeping close quarters, for the biggest part of the circuit. There're some corners they are too slow and that's where I overtook them. If SMS end up nailing the AIW of every circuit, they will be quite challenging. As it is now, they are mostly fine, but these turns cost them dearly.
  • Contact: They try to avoid contact with the player at all costs. I was really surprised by them reacting to me. They dive deep when they have the chance, they attack your mistakes, but they seem to always make sure you have enough room.
  • Other activity: They make mistakes, small and big, and they fight for positions between them. It's quite the thing playing SP and thinking: Okay, they are in a fight now, it will help me catching up.
Disclaimer: this is my experience with TC Class @ Sugo, which is a wide track with not many sharp turns.

That's good to hear, apart from their slowness through corners. That one aspect has the potential to ruin races against AI completely. I hope they manage to tune it before launch.

Project CARS (in the GT classes) had the best AI I'd ever raced against until Kunos added their new algorithms in the recent Assetto Corsa update*. If pCARS 2 can top that then I think I'll be happy, corners permitting.

*cars can still bunch up behind you if you slow down to walking pace unfortunately, but it's rarely a real-race situation.

Some nice metal on show in the latest trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Wzp4v_3Hs

Why are all the drivers wearing oven gloves? :p

Fox Mulder

Pcars 2 absolutely destroys Forza and GT sport in features, Forza 7 is basically Forza 6 in 4k. I only wish there was a demo so I could try myself.

It's great that people love it, I just don't have a wheel and expect a game to work well with a controller on a console. I posted plenty in the pcars 1 OT, bought it day one, and tried my hardest to like it.

Do cars still ghost through you in the pits while you're held for a safe release? That was garbage in pcars 1.

Why are all the drivers wearing oven gloves? :p
That's some pro-grade baking gear, Mascot is used to.
Also: the steering animation at 1:23 looks like some controller driver youtuber plays Forza. If that much correction doesn't send you flying then that's a car that isn't easily annoyed by idiot driver inputs.

Pcars 2 absolutely destroys Forza and GT sport in features, Forza 7 is basically Forza 6 in 4k. I only wish there was a demo so I could try myself.
Doesn't Xbox have that money-back stuff now, the one that's the equivalent of Steam refunds? Just use that, a ton of PC players will do the same and it's entirely SMS's fault for not having the confidence of putting out a demo. And please, nobody say that it would delay the game and cost resources better used for something else... look, if they could do that free Pagani Edition of pCARS 1 almost 2 years after release, they can do a demo for pCARS2.

Side note: I think for many Forza players the new dynamic stuff plus some new cars and tracks will be enough to make FM7 not just Forza 6 4K. Personally I agree though, Turn 10 need to reinvent their handling very soon, I'll probably skip FM7 and GTS both, unless the FM7 blows my mind with AC'esque FFB. What would be interesting for FM7 on PC is if they'll telemetry export for mobile apps via shared memory. Software like SimCommander then could bake modern FFB from the telemetry and we'd know how good or wrong the game would feel at the core of its physics engine - not through the lens of what some guys at Turn 10 thought is suitable FFB 10 years ago.

Mascot

Doesn't Xbox have that money-back stuff now, the one that's the equivalent of Steam refunds? Just use that, a ton of PC players will do the same and it's entirely SMS's fault for not having the confidence of putting out a demo. And please, nobody say that it would delay the game and cost resources better used for something else... look, if they could do that free Pagani Edition of pCARS 1 almost 2 years after release, they can do a demo for pCARS2.
At least two demos already exist for PC and PS4: the E3 and Gamescom ones.
I don't know why those couldn't be uploaded with minimal faff.

Any comments on the Nordschleife? The version in Project CARS is the worst in recent history...seemed too wide and way too smooth. How is it in Project CARS 2?

I don't want to be the guy to defend pCARS' Nordschleife, but it's not too wide, maybe your FOV was shit. It's also too BUMPY, not too smooth. I'm saying that as a fact, not as a personal impression.

Top Bottom