• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Mascot

It's a bit of a spurious wish, but playing the FM7 demo with changeable race suits, makes me wish I could change the race suits, gloves and helmets in PCars.

Gloves, definitely. Don't get me started again on those colour-clash AliExpress oven gloves they use in pCARS 2. I'm hoping someone mods in some Alpinestars and Sparcos stat. You see gloves quite prominently in VR.

Is it weird that, of the many, many good things in PC2, my favorite thus far is the wealth of officially licensed liveries?

I was genuinely taken aback at how many SMS was able to include, and spent a good long while nerding out as I browsed and selected my favorites-- good thing they autosave!

yume_2501

You sure using Helmet Cam?

Handbrake should work. Are you sure you have it mapped right? Besides, not all cars have handbrake. Is it not working in all cars?

yep, helmet cam is basically the same as the inside cam, nothing change (tried decreasing fov like default settings, nothing changed). in career the helmet shows correctly. mapped the handbrake on X button (g27 emulating g29 with the gimx adapter on ps4) tried it on some ferrari road car (so i suppose it has handbrake for sure)

Day One buyer here i just have a question i cant wait to find out. Is the chase camera, height customizable? Can i move it up so i can see a bit of my hood front? I love roof camera but it would be perfect to have a second alternative i learn to love through gta driving.

as far as i know there is a button to move the seat but i don't know if affects outside cam too

Have you played a race in the rain/thunderstorm with max AI cars?

Interested to know if performance is still good.

Not yet. I'd expect a dip there. Though I prefer to have my settings based on good performance on 16/24 cars in the dry.

Will be trying more extreme situations later.

fresquito

yep, helmet cam is basically the same as the inside cam, nothing change (tried decreasing fov like default settings, nothing changed). in career the helmet shows correctly. mapped the handbrake on X button (g27 emulating g29 with the gimx adapter on ps4) tried it on some ferrari road car (so i suppose it has handbrake for sure)
Well, that's odd. If it works in Career but not in Quick Race.

You should probably ask at the official forums for help.

Mascot

Any GAF VR reports yet? It's supposed to be a big step up from pCARS 1 (which I already found fine, to be honest) but I'm wondering if there are any issues (flickering ad hoardings and shadows especially).

thuGG_pl

Any GAF VR reports yet? It's supposed to be a big step up from pCARS 1 (which I already found fine, to be honest) but I'm wondering if there are any issues (flickering ad hoardings and shadows especially).

I will try it today, but I only have 2500k@4.5GHz and GTX 970, so I'm not sure about the performance. I will upgrade next month tho.

TJP

Not yet. I'd expect a dip there. Though I prefer to have my settings based on good performance on 16/24 cars in the dry.

Will be trying more extreme situations later.
Cool.

Just trying to find a good graphical setting for the wet as the dry framerate (at Spa) for 31 AI and pCARS on my 1070 averages at 115fps at max in-game settings; low tends to be 98fps and high is 138fps (using Steam FPS counter).

Vash63

I have a single question for VR - do the mirrors work correctly? In PCARS 1 the mirrors were static and didn't update when you moved your head. It was extremely distracting to me. Also they were flat and the reflections didn't have real depth. They looked more like camera feeds than an actual mirror.

Mascot

I have a single question for VR - do the mirrors work correctly? In PCARS 1 the mirrors were static and didn't update when you moved your head. It was extremely distracting to me. Also they were flat and the reflections didn't have real depth. They looked more like camera feeds than an actual mirror.

I believe they move now, but aren't full parallax 3D (like in Live For Speed, which are awesome) because it was too expensive for the GPU.

Vash63

I believe they move now, but aren't full parallax 3D (like in Live For Speed, which are awesome) because it was too expensive for the GPU.

Hm, that's a big part of it so a big improvement at least. They were really pretty unusable for me in the first game.

danowat

Banned
Discuss, 32 cars and 6 tracks.

I'd imagine the helmets are a clue to the content included, so what do we reckon?

attachment.php

I really like it. A little rough around the edges but the driving feels so good. As polished as Forza is, it doesn't touch the feel of this game. Excited to see what they can get patched in the next month or so.

#3 Time at Indy! Wooo

Cool.

Just trying to find a good graphical setting for the wet as the dry framerate (at Spa) for 31 AI and pCARS on my 1070 averages at 115fps at max in-game settings; low tends to be 98fps and high is 138fps (using Steam FPS counter).

I'm about to try a full grid at rainy LeMans. After that maybe I'll see what my PC can manage hooked up to my 4K TV.

IKizzLE

Out of interest how does PC1 play on PC using the PSVR headset has anyone tried it? the base game is £6 at the moment and wondered if it was worth trying out.

Laptop specs are i7/GTX1060

GOTY edition is £14 so possibly worth that for Nurb if I know it will run and look good.

danowat

Banned
Is it by design that you can't re enter the pit on a testing session?, only way I can enter to pit is to restart the session, unless I am missing something :-/

Oh yeah, and the lap invalidation is BRUTAL.

Lol, why didn't they just have a public beta?

They need the monies, this is a business after all, they're not in it just for shits and giggles.

Add thunderstorm at night in there if you can - let's kill this puppy!

Just tried thunderstorm at LeMans, but daytime. 31 car grid.

Got 50fps on the grid. By the time we hit the Mulsanne Straight and were stretched out a bit it was running at 60fps.

Will try night now.

My CPU is a modest i5 3570K running at stock speed. I can run it faster obviously. And may need to if I try 4K in a while.

2ns session on the PS4 Pro from my twitch stream last night.

One thing I will say was the quite noticeable difference in ffb feel between the PS4 and PC, PC feeling better. Didn't have time to copy the PC settings over to the PS4 before work, but definitely needs investigating.

https://youtu.be/TTvLrLEHWS8

Is it by design that you can't re enter the pit on a testing session?, only way I can enter to pit is to restart the session, unless I am missing something :-/

Oh yeah, and the lap invalidation is BRUTAL.
Yep, always annoyed me that you can't refuel in practice and on short layouts you can't even teleport to the pits to change your setup.

And agree on the track limits. Within 1h I had 2 incidences that were pretty ridiculous. If it's like that on most tracks, maybe we should start collecting screenshots to help SMS there.

Depends on how many I've had to drink :)
If you drive, never drink

So thunderstorm at night with full LeMans grid. (set to vsync at 60fps)

I was getting 50-60fps. And it was up to 60fps once we hit the Mulsanne Straight. It did seem to me that the weather effects are dialed back a bit at night. That's what it looks like anyway.

Also I didn't feel very hindered by the wet road. There's nothing like the way cars react to puddles as in Forza 6.

Then I tried it at 4K at LeMans with a full grid, night and thunderstorm.
And that gave me a variable rate of between 35-50, with it being above 45 much of the time.

terrible

Banned

My rig is too mediocre to really be a decent guideline for what most people would experience with an Oculus Rift but here we go. 2500K @ 4.5ghz, GTX 1060 with the latest drivers.

Laguna Seca, 22 car grid, day time, dry-rain-dry cycle: locked 45 FPS
Spa: 22 car grid, day to night cycle, clear weather: locked 45 FPS
Long Beach: 22 car grid, day to night cycle, thunderstorm: unplayable, sub 30 FPS at times

That's been my experience so far. I played Laguna on whatever the graphics settings defaulted to when I first booted the game and it looked pretty clean for a VR game but after the Long Beach test I lowered everything in an attempt to make it playable and it's pretty ugly in this state I must admit. I'm just trying to target 45 FPS, it actually feels fine surprisingly so I can deal with it.

Night driving in VR is pretty much a revelation btw. Just when I thought I was used to VR something new blows my mind.

HUD layout saving is broken, again, just like it was in PC1.
I wasn't sure if there was something that I don't understand. Good to know that it's not just me.
Note to self: arrange HUD as I like and never use the switch-between-HUD-pages button (to go to live telemetry or turn all HUD off) until they patched this.

Mascot

So thunderstorm at night with full LeMans grid. (set to vsync at 60fps)

I was getting 50-60fps. And it was up to 60fps once we hit the Mulsanne Straight. It did seem to me that the weather effects are dialed back a bit at night. That's what it looks like anyway.

Also I didn't feel very hindered by the wet road. There's nothing like the way cars react to puddles as in Forza 6.

Then I tried it at 4K at LeMans with a full grid, night and thunderstorm.
And that gave me a variable rate of between 35-50, with it being above 45 much of the time.

That's not too bad at all. Sounds quite well optimised, like they claimed.

The puddle comment is interesting, as aquaplaning is allegedly pretty good in pCARS 2.

My rig is too mediocre to really be a decent guideline for what most people would experience with an Oculus Rift but here we go. 2500K @ 4.5ghz, GTX 1060 with the latest drivers.

Laguna Seca, 22 car grid, day time, dry-rain-dry cycle: locked 45 FPS
Spa: 22 car grid, day to night cycle, clear weather: locked 45 FPS
Long Beach: 22 car grid, day to night cycle, thunderstorm: unplayable, sub 30 FPS at times

That's been my experience so far. I played Laguna on whatever the graphics settings defaulted to when I first booted the game and it looked pretty clean for a VR game but after the Long Beach test I lowered everything in an attempt to make it playable and it's pretty ugly in this state I must admit. I'm just trying to target 45 FPS, it actually feels fine surprisingly so I can deal with it.

Night driving in VR is pretty much a revelation btw. Just when I thought I was used to VR something new blows my mind.

I'm fine with 45fps spacewarped to 90fps in VR so this all sounds fine. I could run night thunderstorms in VR on my 980Ti without problems* in pCARS 1 so this sounds encouraging.

*except needing new pants

That's not too bad at all. Sounds quite well optimised, like they claimed.

The puddle comment is interesting, as aquaplaning is allegedly pretty good in pCARS 2.

I'm fine with 45fps spacewarped to 90fps in VR so this all sounds fine. I could run night thunderstorms in VR on my 980Ti without problems* in pCARS 1 so this sounds encouraging.

*except needing new pants

Any idea on the ability on running VR using the PSVR? I've read about TrinusVR working with PC1 just wondering if it would be an acceptable experience.

Maybe not enough water had fallen yet. I don't know. It just didn't have that wow kind of feel you get in Forza 6 when you hit a big puddle.

Just tried running a regular 16 car race in daylight. My PC had absolutely no problems with running it at 4K60.

Though at the distance I sit from the TV it didn't look much different than 1440p on my desk monitor. I don't have great eyes.

One annoying nitpick - in the timing page during an event it uses your Steam name rather than the real name you put in the profile. So all the drivers have regular names, and there I am with my Steam profile nickname.

VVV Mars VG

Maybe not enough water had fallen yet. I don't know. It just didn't have that wow kind of feel you get in Forza 6 when you hit a big puddle.

Trouble is, that's a pre-baked big puddle effect and when you know the track you can avoid the majority of the puddles quite easily. On Pcars2 that's not the case, you may be able to drive through a puddle lap after lap, then suddenly you spin out. It's the unpredictability of weather that makes it exciting and that's why Forza 6 failed in this regard.

Trouble is, that's a pre-baked big puddle effect and when you know the track you can avoid the majority of the puddles quite easily. On Pcars2 that's not the case, you may be able to drive through a puddle lap after lap, then suddenly you spin out. It's the unpredictability of weather that makes it exciting and that's why Forza 6 failed in this regard.

Oh I know. I just didn't feel much of anything from the weather on the wet races I've run so far. Obviously there's much more for me to discover.

Top Bottom