• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 |OT| Buggy Racing At The Four Seasons

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
How is the career structure compared to the first game? Didn't really like the first one how it was set up, enjoyed the racing though.

Gynoug79

Concerning the undrivable cars: Someone at the pcars forums mentioned that it helps to reset them to their default settings. So i tried that and could finally get the XJ 220 around Sugo. Before it felt like driving a Monster Truck on sand paper - a strange snappy wobbly feel after the tiniest slide. After resetting it to default it was proper fun. It seems that sometimes a setup sticks to the next car you drive...

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Concerning the undrivable cars: Someone at the pcars forums mentioned that it helps to reset them to their default settings. So i tried that and could finally get the XJ 220 around Sugo. Before it felt like driving a Monster Truck on sand paper - a strange snappy wobbly feel after the tiniest slide. After resetting it to default it was proper fun. It seems that sometimes a setup sticks to the next car you drive...

Does default include both the stable and loose setups?

I was playing around with the Formula C car, one of my faves from the first game. Nice to see they updated the actual car, but the default has the gearing way too long. I actually thought that it was a 5-speed car at first.

Klocker

So, adjusting any controller settings, at least on my PS4, from default, completely breaks the handling.

Yes there is a bug thread started in the official pcars Xbox forums and has been noted and is being sent to the devs for review they think it is related to the AI or combination of changing the steering settings.

When I get to my PC I will post a link if you like.

edit...
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51707-Can-t-get-the-car-to-stay-straight-(controller)

It is related to an issue I posted earlier where some cars just wobble on their own left and right willy-nilly

also read it may be related to the Wheels on PS4 shimmying back and forth for which a fix is allegedly in process

Gynoug79

Does default include both the stable and loose setups?

I was playing around with the Formula C car, one of my faves from the first game. Nice to see they updated the actual car, but the default has the gearing way too long. I actually thought that it was a 5-speed car at first.

I'm playing on the ps4 and i think the console versions didnt get the stable and loose setups.

Bobnob

Wilst setting up a lobby today i noticed the game wouldn't allow me to do 200 laps around indy even though i put 200 laps down in the settings it kept saying it was 146 lap race whenever i set the lobby.

Gonna struggle getting that indy 500 achievement:(

God, this game is so littered with bugs!

I just tried the new Jack Spade tweaker files for Project CARS 2.
Liked that stuff for Project CARS 1 and I understand what they dislike about pCARS2's FFB. They're probably coming from rFactor's and AMS's ReelFeel that has a very pronounced and stiff feel over bumps - just like you'd expect from a race car with high spring-rates, stiff dampers and no rubber bushings in the steering and suspension arms... who ever tried the Boxer at Oulton Park in AMS on a strong FFB wheel knows what I'm talking about.

But this pCARS2 FFB tweaking doesn't do the job. After 2h of trying to tweak some stuff in the "custom" FFB flavor setting (in the documents\Project CARS 2 folder, the ffb_custom_settings.txt is defining the "custom" flavour, it's set up like RAW, but from there you can edit all the parameters hidden in-game and even script stuff yourself), I decided that FFB is just too soft to put some AMS bump/road feel into it.
I'm back to RAW-flavor and the settings I posted on some of the last pages of the pCARS2 pre-release thread. Don't think I'll be trying to tweak that stuff again anytime soon (it's a lot of game restarts and trying stuff out).

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Does anyone know what the coloured band next to your driver rating is supposed to represent? I guess everyone starts with blue, but I've seen a brown/bronze coloured one.

Is there a way to set up different fuel loads for qualifying and the race? I'm not seeing that option. Also it seems they removed the indicator telling you how many laps a certain fuel load will last. Too much hand-holding involved with that I suppose.

Mascot

Good. Will be watching closely to see what gets improved.

Me too. I'm missing this game already.

Christ, I seriously hope the first patch doesn't break as much as it fixes - I seem to remember that happening in the first game with at least one of the updates. Hopefully the patch has been properly tested across all three formats, and not by the same chimps who did the main game QA (edit: the outsourced QA on consoles, not the WMD2 mob on PC).

Bobnob

Me too. I'm missing this game already.

Christ, I seriously hope the first patch doesn't break as much as it fixes - I seem to remember that happening in the first game with at least one of the updates. Hopefully the patch has been properly tested across all three formats, and not by the same chimps who did the main game QA.
This is what i hate about rushed patches.

Mascot

This is what i hate about rushed patches.

I've asked Ian who does the QA testing on the console patches, and whether it's the same external team who did the main game.

Different topic: is it true that PS Pro replays run at 60fps?

danowat

Banned
Different topic: is it true that PS Pro replays run at 60fps?

No, it's not true.

In other news, all my handling issues are now fixed, and I can appreciate the tyre physics, there are still huge issues with the PS4 version, many game breaking ones, or at the very least, semi game breaking.

Azzawon

Ah, so it's not just me. Finished my ginetta junior and upgraded to that and just Can t keep it around any corner with any reasonable amount of speed. I'll Google for some set up advice before cheesing it or dropping it all together.

Someone else mentioned earlier and I too would like a list of cars to avoid.

• ginetta gt4

Thanks for the heads up. Was planning on moving to this after the GT5/Junior but now I'll avoid and try something else. Hoping to get to GT3 where I know the cars actually handle well. Getting to GT3 is the only thing keeping me motivated about playing the game at this point.

danowat

Banned
Either I've gotten really shit at driving online, or there is a huge disparity between pad times and wheel times this time round.

I was never this noncompetitive in PC1 or AC multiplayer, oh yeah, and the rating system makes not one jot of difference to the driving standards online!

Maybe it's time I brought a wheel......... :-/

Mascot

No, that time was seven years ago!
:p

giphy.gif

fresquito

Either I've gotten really shit at driving online, or there is a huge disparity between pad times and wheel times this time round.

I was never this noncompetitive in PC1 or AC multiplayer, oh yeah, and the rating system makes not one jot of difference to the driving standards online!

Don't expect any online filter to have everyone filtered 5 days after release.

And yes, we've been telling you all along: Buy a PC and a wheel ;-)

danowat

Banned
I'm not going as far as a PC, but I am tempted to get a wheel, as long as I can find a decent enough wheel stand that is suitable for driving from the couch and folds flat so I can stick it in the cupboard.

GHG

Gold Member

There's no maybe about it. If you like racing games you owe it to yourself.

If you want something that folds away nicely get a wheelstand pro and a compatible wheel/pedals set:

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/

danowat

Banned
There's no maybe about it. If you like racing games you owe it to yourself.

I used to play iR and LFS on PC with a Frex G25, many years ago, but just like the convenience of a pad and couch combo on console.

Pretty sure I've asked before, but I assume there is no wheel that is compatible with both XBO and PS4?, what is a decent mid range wheel these days?

fresquito

I used to play iR and LFS on PC with a Frex G25, many years ago, but just like the convenience of a pad and couch combo on console.

Pretty sure I've asked before, but I assume there is no wheel that is compatible with both XBO and PS4?, what is a decent mid range wheel these days?
T300. The version with three pedals.

Mascot

Long shot, I don't suppose anyone is, or knows of, anyone selling a T300 secondhand in the UK?

I got my CSR Elite from eBay effectively for less than free (it came with a bunch of extras, wheel stand etc that I sold separately for more than I paid).

People buy wheels on a whim then don't use them. There should be barely-used wheels and wheel stands galore on eBay, and hopefully ones close enough to view/test.

Or just go new.

Torn between this and Fifa, although I loved the first game on ps4.

Is it worth picking up yet or are there significant issues?

danowat

Banned
Torn between this and Fifa, although I loved the first game on ps4.

Is it worth picking up yet or are there significant issues?

On PS4, yes, significant issues

I can't do career at the moment, doing so makes the menus and intro movie hang / lag, I can't do multiplayer, the join/leave lag and stutters makes things impossible, I can't adjust controller settings because it makes the cars undrivable, I can't save more than one setup, and I have to make sure I reset every setup to default before resaving it as it picks up the setup from the last car you used.

Otherwise, it's great.

Anywhere near you? If so, get round to view ASAP with cash in your pocket..! 'Collection only' auctions generally do shit.

Not a million miles away, but far enough.

Mascot

And don't worry about the standard pedals. They're perfectly fine and you don't need to 1000kg of force to push the brake pedal which will be important using a wheel stand.

Probably pass on that for now. Keyboard input on PS4 is broken in PC2.

It's coming in the imminent patch apparently, along with companion app support. No idea why these couldn't make it into the release version as they both worked fine in pCARS 1.

That wheel is all you'll need, does a great job. Next you'll need to find a wheel stand like the Deluxe V2. http://wheelstandpro.com/ then you're good to go. Just don't put the FFB too high.
Some games just feel better with really low forces (Forza), others are about the same (Assetto Corsa), but for rF2, AMS and pCARS2 as well I would defintely want the stronger forces, especially in cars that should feel stiff-direct.

If it's not a monday morning built wheel, you can go max FFB, Dan. Just drive with the forces not against them and keep in mind that fighting strong motor-stall forces is bad for it (it's like maintaining a short circuit) and jerking it against the flow is bad for the belt.
Btw. the 599 alcantara rim is really nice, good feel, good weight/diameter (just sweating on it is bad for the texture, that's why I drive it with gloves 50% of the time, the rougher gloves are like a suede brush making it feel like new again)

MGR

It's coming in the imminent patch apparently, along with companion app support. No idea why these couldn't make it into the release version as they both worked fine in pCARS 1.

Cool. But I won't hold my breath.

On a positive note I spent another couple of hours tweaking FFB settings on the T300 and played a couple quick races at Bathurst with the FG Falcon V8SC and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The audio works really well with my buttkicker setup and if you enable stability control any ham fisted filthy casual can jump in and have a good time without falling of the track at every turn.

So as long as you don't touch the campaign, or the vehicle setups, disable any weather or 'live track' stuff, don't do pit stops, don't play online, and toggle the hud every single race so you can see the rear view mirror, then it's fine.

danowat

Banned
So as long as you don't touch the campaign, or the vehicle setups, disable any weather or 'live track' stuff, don't do pit stops, don't play online, and toggle the hud every single race so you can see the rear view mirror, then it's fine.

Bingo, this is exactly where I am now.

Top Bottom