• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 |OT| Buggy Racing At The Four Seasons

KdotIX

I can attest to the 599 Evo Alcantara wheel. Perfect size, lovely feel, bonus that it’s near identical to the real thing. Deffo use some gloves with it though. I’m currently using some nike baseball gloves because I’m too cheap to buy some proper ones

Either I've gotten really shit at driving online, or there is a huge disparity between pad times and wheel times this time round.

I was never this noncompetitive in PC1 or AC multiplayer, oh yeah, and the rating system makes not one jot of difference to the driving standards online!

Maybe it's time I brought a wheel......... :-/

Just do it, specially since you´re in the UK and you have access to all the brands and stuff. I´m still in the saga of buying a Fanatec set here in Brazil and it´s tough. I thought it was over, but i guess importing this is harder than it looks.

There´s no going back after using a wheel in these games. You will probably be 2-3 seconds faster, if you adapt like in did back in 2007.

Cool. But I won't hold my breath.

On a positive note I spent another couple of hours tweaking FFB settings on the T300 and played a couple quick races at Bathurst with the FG Falcon V8SC and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The audio works really well with my buttkicker setup and if you enable stability control any ham fisted filthy casual can jump in and have a good time without falling of the track at every turn.

So as long as you don't touch the campaign, or the vehicle setups, disable any weather or 'live track' stuff, don't do pit stops, don't play online, and toggle the hud every single race so you can see the rear view mirror, then it's fine.

Such a shame that console users are having this much trouble. On the PC is more like weird bugs, and not so much game breaking ones.

When it happens is bad, yesterday i got a penalty online for hitting a car in front of me, but that happened during the rolling start, in which the AI was controlling the car. Ratings went down and it was a 15 sec penalty.

Go figure.

But at least i can do most of the basic stuff in the game.

Bobnob

Anyone using the thrustmaster tmx ? If i was after a wheel for the first time i would probably go with this. Can be picked for around £140 brand new.

Still cant switch on my assists and randomly switched on for one race then went off again???

Ps formula renault is fantastic

A little late to the party, but my (PC, VR-focused) review was published today:

https://www.roadtovr.com/project-cars-2-vr-review-oculus-rift-htc-vive/

I kinda had hoped you could describe the FFB feel (and/or tire model feel) to people who play other sims or have driven a car hard on a trackday maybe, but haven't tried pCARS2 yet. Then again, I couldn't either. I'd probably talk about sidewall flex under power oversteer, but I don't really think I'd understand myself, had I not played it.

Still, the best overall, probably most detailed(considering it's PC focused) but also the most professional review I've read about Project CARS 2 so far. Good work as always!

GHG

Gold Member
Racing in the snow is fine, and does happen but if the track ices over? Nah fuck that noise.

I kinda had hoped you could describe the FFB feel (and/or tire model feel) to people who play other sims or have driven a car hard on a trackday maybe, but haven't tried pCARS2 yet. Then again, I couldn't either. I'd probably talk about sidewall flex under power oversteer, but I don't really think I'd understand myself, had I not played it.

Still, the best overall, probably most detailed(considering it's PC focused) but also the most professional review I've read about Project CARS 2 so far. Good work as always!
Thanks! I would've liked to elaborate further on the physics/tyres/FFB, but it was getting into dangerously long territory and there was so much VR-specific stuff to cover. I feel like I already over-indulged with sim-racing geekery in this piece :D

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Apparently, there is a bug with the Formula Rookie and Formula C slick tires not being able to come up to temperature in race sessions. It's being investigated, another bug on the pile.

danowat

Banned
Apparently, there is a bug with the Formula Rookie and Formula C slick tires not being able to come up to temperature in race sessions. It's being investigated, another bug on the pile.

Yeah, wet tyres give you more grip than slicks on a dry track in those cars.

Mascot

No, it's not true.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAaRAAAAJGJmYzI4MmM4LTIzYjUtNDUwZC1hZjczLWYyMDE5MjdmYjA0OQ.png

The_American: ↑
there's a replay bug that gives you 60fps, steps were reported earlier on GTP (can't find the post now): Watch a replay, use the photomode then exit photomode and when you resume watching the replay it will be 60fps.

We may or may not fix this bug, Ian is still thinking about it ;)

xrnzaaas

I'm having a dejavu moment here, didn't the first game also have problems with permanent cold tyres in some series?

I'm having a blast with this so far, even though I haven't had time to play a whole lot. I have 2 young kids so I have to wait until they go to bed to drag the steering wheel out. I'm using a Logitech G29 on a PS4 Pro.

I've only started career mode with the Ginetta G40 and I am actually still practicing the first track. This is the first time I've had had a wheel with a clutch and a stick shifter, so I am still getting comfortable with that. My real-world car is a 5-speed so I am used to driving manual, but racing with a manual, after years of relying on AT, came as quite a shock. The biggest adjustment has been having to pay more attention to the sound of the revs in the absence of being able to actually "feel" the transmission. I'm mostly acclimated now and turning 1st place times on the default difficulty, but now my problem is I keep missing shifts and blowing the motor. The G29's shifter is really short and I occasionally go from 2nd->1st when I want to go 2nd->3rd. I thought about just using the paddles, but I am trying stay true to whatever shifting mechanism the car I am driving actually has, lol.

TheRed

Really loving this game now that i have VR settings I'm happy with. Feels great with a wheel imo. Glad I bought it. So many tracks, cars, and cool weather effects.

I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure Formula Rookie and Formula C weren't one of them.

Formula C is bugged, acceleration time in the menus shows 2.0 seconds from 0-60mph with ~200hp. The tire has too much grip for a car that is supposed to resemble a Formula 3 car even at the current too low tire temps of max 50 degrees, with tuning and overdriving you can get it to 60, but that's it.

But they seemed to have known before the game was out and are fixing it currently.

Fox Mulder

Have they also agreed to kick the person who thought they were a good idea in the backside, very hard.

I never got the fascination with racing in extreme conditions. What series will run races in a blizzard on iced tracks or in a typhoon storm with lightning. Even the puddles in Forza 6 were fucking annoying.

The blinding spray from f1 cars is cool though.

Mascot

I never got the fascination with racing in extreme conditions. What series will run races in a blizzard on iced tracks or in a typhoon storm with lightning. Even the puddles in Forza 6 were fucking annoying.

Nighttime storm racing in VR is incredible. Mentally exhausting though!

GHG

Gold Member

Racing in rain and storms does happen although tracks will usally have proper drainage/runoff systems in place and a dryer line always forms when you have 20+ cars hurtling along them at ridiculous speeds.

For example, F1 wet tires are capable of moving up to 65 litres of water per second.

So there is a high degree of authenticity in being able to race in adverse situations provided the simulation of the various factors involved are accurate. It's not just a gimmick if done right and yes, it does make things a lot more difficult (meaning you'll have some "can't see shit" moments) but that's what professional drivers have to deal with as well and it's a good rest of your skill and knowledge of the track you're racing on.

Although if you have large deep puddles forming that can cause aquaplaning (like in Forza or after its rained for a while in PCars 2 for example) then the race will be postponed/abandoned until the conditions are a bit safer to race in.

One thing I'm yet to see accurately depicted in racing games though is adverse wind conditions and how that affects the car.

Mascot

One thing I'm yet to see accurately depicted in racing games though is adverse wind conditions and how that affects the car.

I thought the first pCARS modeled wind? Driving into a headwind was supposed to increase downforce, and vice-versa?

Yeah, wet tyres give you more grip than slicks on a dry track in those cars.
I would argue that the 'bug' is that the wet tyre has way too much grip, and that the slicks are not that far off, just a little too temperature sensitive. The fact that slicks lose temperature so quickly is one of my favourite characteristics of the tyre model in its current state. In cold conditions you have to work the car really hard on an out-lap in quali to bring some heat into the tyres, which feels pretty damn good (the opposite to iRacing, where the tyres are 'broken' in the other direction).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ginetta GT4 becomes much easier with assists. I couldn't complete a single lap in that Cadwell park affinity event (authentic is my default setting) but when I turned on stability control and traction control to low I managed to finish the entire race without losing control even once. Obviously it's not exactly the best solution to make it easy for yourself with assists, but it's not an inpenetrable obstacle if for example you want to finish all Ginetta events and you're stuck with this one.

I went to give this a shot today and realized that with my settings as authentic, I already had all assists on. Just in case, I turned authentic off but didn't adjust the assists which stayed on full. I remember reading that sometimes set ups seem to carry over from one car to another, so I reset to default and saved before hitting the track. And wouldn't you know my original extensive issues with the handling were non-existent. The car drove just fine.

How they can release the console versions in this state is just crazy.

cooldawn

Maybe you've seen my post in the graphics comparison thread, I'm not exactly a fan of pCARS2's Nordschleife either, but the track width must be accurate or you would have to drive very different, but I can drive it like I always do, that's it. Bumpiness-wise? I don't know, cars don't bottom out and hit the bump-stop constantly anymore at the Karussel-tiles actually fit together geometrically, so that's fine for me.
Yea, the camera movement, the coloring, the sound... that's very subjective. Camera movement and sound are "ok" for me, not as good as RaceRoom, the coloring of the track surface looks the way I always hated it in pCARS1... chalk-like grey, ugly. But look at Kostacurtas screenshots, there the tarmac looks ok, it depends on the angle of the sun a lot here. Track-side is unbeatable in GTS with the green of the trees that look fresh and alive from the subsurface scattering, feels like driving in late spring on a sunny day should feel like. However... that's not "visceral" for me, it's just beautiful (combined with the far from visceral sound in GTS it's almost calming ;D shot fired).
OK, so I'm going to try and explain something you probably aren't going to agree with.

I drive a virtual car by how it feels, not by what I see. If I drive by sight then I'm just reacting with an inherent delay. If I drive by feel, 'by the seat of my pants', there's more chance I can catch an unbalanced car. Seeing it is far too late.

The camera system in Project CARS is counter-intuitive to the way I drive in video games. It seems to me the static nature of the camera i.e. the emphasis on a bobbing-head or a wallowing car rather than a direct screen shake, fails to communicate the road and it's surface. I used the Nordschleife as an example because that's where the issue is most apparent...but then again Gran Turismo's Nordschleife has always been great to drive on because of the way it communicates kerbs the the tarmac's topography.

The other things...the clolouration and general physical make-up of that circuit are just other things that make Gran Turismo's Nordschleife so much more gruelling and intense.

I don't know if any of that made any sense but that's the way it is for me : (

xrnzaaas

I went to give this a shot today and realized that with my settings as authentic, I already had all assists on. Just in case, I turned authentic off but didn't adjust the assists which stayed on full. I remember reading that sometimes set ups seem to carry over from one car to another, so I reset to default and saved before hitting the track. And wouldn't you know my original extensive issues with the handling were non-existent. The car drove just fine.

How they can release the console versions in this state is just crazy.

I don't think that with the authentic setting the assists are always on. The greyed out options are simply disabled from tinkering with them and you shouldn't assume that every car has ABS, traction control and stability control. At least that's how I understand it. You probably have to figure out by yourself which car offers what systems in real life.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I don't think that with the authentic setting the assists are always on. The greyed out options are simply disabled and you shouldn't assume that every car has ABS, traction control and stability control. At least that's how I understand it.

Perhaps. I did note that the greyed out options were full assists though. Perhaps that's just the default for those settings if authentic is off?

The camera system in Project CARS is counter-intuitive to the way I drive in video games. It seems to me the static nature of the camera i.e. the emphasis on a bobbing-head or a wallowing car rather than a direct screen shake, fails to communicate the road and it's surface. I used the Nordschleife as an example because that's where the issue is most apparent...but then again Gran Turismo's Nordschleife has always been great to drive on because of the way it communicates kerbs the the tarmac's topography.

I think I understand what you mean, you want road and bump shake of the camera - like on an extremer setting in RaceRoom and that's just not doable in pCARS2. But what I don't understand how you then say that it's good in GTS, because that feels a lot more tame, all the rides feel very soft - even the Lexus Vision GT Gr.3 car which, according to the setup menu, had a spring-rate rate that was harder than the natural spring rate of a GT3 slick. I also don't think that having this cam-shake could make anyone react better. It's actually the other way around, the more the camera is fixed to the car, the faster you can react to yaw movement of the car (and that you can do in pCARS2 by setting "world movement" to 100).

I would argue that the 'bug' is that the wet tyre has way too much grip, and that the slicks are not that far off, just a little too temperature sensitive. The fact that slicks lose temperature so quickly is one of my favourite characteristics of the tyre model in its current state. In cold conditions you have to work the car really hard on an out-lap in quali to bring some heat into the tyres, which feels pretty damn good (the opposite to iRacing, where the tyres are 'broken' in the other direction).
I feel like their aquaplaning model is somewhat broken, the effect should kick in with slicks at way lower speeds already and the amount of surface water shouldn't matter much with slicks, even 0.2mm should make a huge difference. I have have two grip diagrams, one for tread depth vs surface water and another for speed vs surface water, if anyone is interested, I could post from my Rennwagentechnik eBook.

danowat

Banned
I feel like their aquaplaning model is somewhat broken, the effect should kick in with slicks at way lower speeds already and the amount of surface water shouldn't matter much with slicks, even 0.2mm should make a huge difference. I have have two grip diagrams, one for tread depth vs surface water and another for speed vs surface water, if anyone is interested, I could post from my Rennwagentechnik eBook.

I think the whole wet weather tyre simulation is questionable, real cars don't react like that in the wet.

I think the whole wet weather tyre simulation is questionable, real cars don't react like that in the wet.

I did some ADAC safety driving once on a parking lot like area where they could control the amount of water. And they sliding off I did there doesn't seem far off from the sliding I had in pCARS2, but at happened at waay lower speeds (I was in an Ibiza Cupra on a P Zero tire), that's why I think it's mostly the modeling of the aquaplaning degree at what speed. At higher speeds, I'd imagine you'd regain grip far later and are just a passenger with zero amount of control till then.

danowat

Banned
I did some ADAC safety driving once on a parking lot like area where they could control the amount of water. And they sliding off I did there doesn't seem far off from the sliding I had in pCARS2, but at happened at waay lower speeds (I was in an Ibiza Cupra on a P Zero tire), that's why I think it's mostly the modeling of the aquaplaning degree at what speed. At higher speeds, I'd imagine you'd regain grip far later and are just a passenger with zero amount of control till then.
I've done skidpan driving, but the car on a dolly rig that gives you way less grip, that GTR on the wet at Sugo feels like that.

fresquito

Today I've had some time to invest in the MP and have some thoughts:

- The license factor is making people be less savage. You can have some morons here and there, but most people seem to behave themselves.
- It's best to never retire to pits, even when your car is upside down, because you will lose 30pts.
- I would like knowing exactly the numbers of the letter.
- I would like knowing the points gain/loss after the race.
- P2P lag spikes when people join suck. I can't wait to have our DS working again.
- I've had fun playing with strangers and look forward to racing more online. Something I never had in PC1.
- I'm awfully rusty and need to get back to form because I'm having too many driving mistakes.

One more thing not strictly online related, but still relevant: tire degradation is real. Driving like a jackass will come back to you. Hotlap racing will get you so far.

The music is so fucking good in this. I mean PCars 1 had a great music but this is another level of great, way ahead of competition.

MGR

Not even quick races are enough to keep me interested now. The AI pace is ridiculously inconsistent and no amount of setting tweaks can fix it. Every time you get in a braking dual with one they're suddenly gifted god like powers with infinite grip and whip around the corner like they're on rails. I just want have a hard, close race :(

Returned the game this morning.

I've done skidpan driving, but the car on a dolly rig that gives you way less grip, that GTR on the wet at Sugo feels like that.

I've been circuit racing and tarmac rallying for the last 15 years with about 8 years of karting before that. The grip levels under varying conditions and tyre types/compounds are all over the fucking place. I have no idea if this is by design or just a million different bugs at work. But the end result is all the development on this 'live track' system was a complete waste of time.

What's the verdict on PC vs PS4 Pro? Are the graphics differences significant? Is one version buggier than the other? Not sure which version to get and I'm having a hard time finding direct comparisons beyond badly compressed Youtube videos. And even then that wouldn't address whether either version is buggier or has more features and whatnot.

Anyone?

xrnzaaas

What's the verdict on PC vs PS4 Pro? Are the graphics differences significant? Is one version buggier than the other? Not sure which version to get and I'm having a hard time finding direct comparisons beyond badly compressed Youtube videos. And even then that wouldn't address whether either version is buggier or has more features and whatnot.

Anyone?

If you have a good PC then pick this version. All console versions are super super buggy and we'll have to wait and see how much the first post premiere patch will improve (and break ;)).

If you have a good PC then pick this version. All console versions are super super buggy and we'll have to wait and see how much the first patch will improve (and break ;)).

Super buggy as in they have bugs that don't exist on PC? I think performance will be fine on my rig, GTX1070, 16GB DDR4, i7 6700HQ and SSD, but sometimes I go for the PS4 Pro version of games for convenience... Unless they are crappy ports, like this seems to be.

GHG

Gold Member

Anyone?

Console versions are much buggier (they had much less time and effort put into play testing) and they look a lot worse.

Super buggy as in they have bugs that don't exist on PC? I think performance will be fine on my rig, GTX1070, 16GB DDR4, i7 6700HQ and SSD, but sometimes I go for the PS4 Pro version of games for convenience... Unless they are crappy ports, like this seems to be.

Get the pc version.

It will be a night and day difference with that hardware.

Mascot

After reading a lot at the official forums and at GTP I think (if I was still playing the game, that is) I'd avoid any substantial tinkering or career progress until at least the first patch. SMS are advising career wipes and deleting car setups as 'workarounds' right now for a whole host of issues and I've got a bad feeling that hard resets are going to be required at some point. You all *might* be setting up your cars and tweaking your FFB with fundamentally broken code. Do you think all of those changes will still fit in with whatever changes SMS are currently making to the tyres, FFB, suspension etc? Seems risky to me. You might be completely wasting your time.

Hell, SMS are making fundamental changes to the career weather in the next patch, so it's not unreasonable to surmise that all career progress might have to be wiped. If there's one thing gamers hate it's having their progress reset and having to start again from scratch. I think I'd be inclined to find some driveable car and track combos and just quick race on defaults until the first patch lands. The problems seem deeply ingrained (if they were an easy fix they wouldn't be in the release code, right?) and SMS's current advice about wiping progress and deleting setups might just be a portent of something mandatory in the near future.

Then again, maybe it's nothing. Enjoy!

danowat

Banned
Found another great little feature, for some reason, the game likes to call every setup description "Circuit of the Americas", it must really like that track, because if you try to change the description to something more apt, I don't know, like the actual track you are racing on, it just locks the game up with the message "please wait".

The game is carry on in the background, but there is nothing you can actually do to get it playing again.

Brilliant.

And MP is as junk as every other public MP, the rating matters not one jot, for two reasons

1) Console players are arseholes, regardless of rating.

2) Without developer sanctioned events, the people making them just tend to leave them open for all anyway, so it leaves the rating system a bit moot.

After reading a lot at the official forums and at GTP I think (if I was still playing the game, that is) I'd avoid any substantial tinkering or career progress until at least the first patch. SMS are advising career wipes and deleting car setups as 'workarounds' right now for a whole host of issues and I've got a bad feeling that hard resets are going to be required at some point. You all *might* be setting up your cars and tweaking your FFB with fundamentally broken code. Do you think all of those changes will still fit in with whatever changes SMS are currently making to the tyres, FFB, suspension etc? Seems risky to me. You might be completely wasting your time.

Yup, it's not worth doing, there is something serious wrong with the file system in this game, something happens that breaks something irreparably, and the only way to get it back working properly again is to delete all saved files.

I'd like to know who tested this game, so I can kick them in the backside, the issues are glaring to anyone with half a brain in a few hours, wouldn't have minding if it was early access, or a beta, but FFS, this is a full priced release.

Top Bottom