• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

mclaren777

Whoa, I guess I forgot there used to be clouds. Are those still on that track?

And was your comparison before they did the revamped lighting engine with dynamic lighting, weather conditions, etc.?

I made that comparison way before they changed anything. Months before.

Dilly

Banned
I don't think anyone really expected you to beat the original.

LrLwh.jpg

I'm younger, I can improve!

Any footage of Formula A on Azure Coast? :)

Here you go: Formula A (F1 car) @ Azure Coast - Build 179

I'll be able to do a better lap for sure, I had just put all of my energy in to learning the track, haha. I didn't have it in me to hit retry then. That middle section is really tough - it looks like I was going really slow over lots of the bumps but if you don't you just spin, guaranteed.

That first sector though. Wow. So fun in that car. When I kept my foot down going around that roundabout I tensed up to say the least!

Blizzard

Banned

I'll be able to do a better lap for sure, I had just put all of my energy in to learning the track, haha. I didn't have it in me to hit retry then. That middle section is really tough - it looks like I was going really slow over lots of the bumps but if you don't you just spin, guaranteed.

That first sector though. Wow. So fun in that car. When I kept my foot down going around that roundabout I tensed up to say the least!
The first time through is great since you have no idea what to expect, you don't realize it's going to be like 10 minutes of driving, and things are surprisingly varied. (and then you crash because you were looking at the ocean)

Is Azure Coast an original track or based on a real one without the license?

Blizzard

Banned
Is Azure Coast an original track or based on a real one without the license?
I'm not sure whether this applied to Azure Coast, California Highway, or both, but I think I read some post(s) on the CARS forums indicating that one/both were based on parts of real world roads, but with the boring parts taken out.

So I am guessing they were inspired by actual California roads or whatnot, with decorations added and pieces glued together. If I understood it correctly, a senior environment artist is still working on Azure Coast, so if it looks even better this Friday, that will be pretty impressive.

DieH@rd

Banned

Next time do a triple flip! :)

fresquito

Yeah, I like HDR on better in those as well. However, we should keep in mind that this is WiP, final colors, tones, etc, still have a long way to go. Specially in that circuit.

markao

I had a last go trying to improve the Milan Historic time and just when I had settled for a high 30.3 a friend asked if I could do a run with telemetry on, so he could see what I was doing. To my surprise, as I was distracted by all the moving things on screen and the annoying flickering foot bug, I actually managed to improve my 2nd sector, combined with two good others,

I don't think there is time for me to be found anymore: Milan Historic - Leonus F68 - 1.30.229

- I changed my final gearing one click to the right from my previous posted set-up (1st corner 4th gear).

Megasoum

Banned
You know when you have a good game when even the new Hock is exciting and stressing you out lol. I did a bunch of laps in the Formula A. It's very tough sometime to truly trust you car to always delay the breaking a bit more and delay the turn a bit more, especially in the FA!

Amazing stuff...

kafiend

I got a G25 and Wheel Stand Pro today. What a difference from a DFGT (obviously). Braking with my right foot in a racing game is highly confusing after years left foot baking.
I'm having to constantly remind myself coming into big braking points "use the right foot...use the right!"
Let alone working out how to use the clutch effectively. Baby steps for working out what woks for me I guess.

Anyway, pCars feels amazingly different (somewhat obviously again) with all the cars I've driven feeling a lot more trustworthy through the corners.

Completely genuine questions for those using a three pedal setup - Clutch all the time? Clutch for most cars? Right foot braking regardless of clutch use? Heel toe voodoo?

I'm a kid with a new toy and far too many racing games to re-experience. Think I might delete my GT5 save so I can go up through the cars again and learn how to use this wheel + 3 pedals better in something not quite so intensely Sim.

Orgun

I got a G25 and Wheel Stand Pro today. What a difference from a DFGT (obviously). Braking with my right foot in a racing game is highly confusing after years left foot baking.
I'm having to constantly remind myself coming into big braking points "use the right foot...use the right!"
Let alone working out how to use the clutch effectively. Baby steps for working out what woks for me I guess.

Anyway, pCars feels amazingly different (somewhat obviously again) with all the cars I've driven feeling a lot more trustworthy through the corners.

Completely genuine questions for those using a three pedal setup - Clutch all the time? Clutch for most cars? Right foot braking regardless of clutch use? Heel toe voodoo?

I'm a kid with a new toy and far too many racing games to re-experience. Think I might delete my GT5 save so I can go up through the cars again and learn how to use this wheel + 3 pedals better in something not quite so intensely Sim.

Jealous, I want a G25 to replace my DFGT.

I'd say for cars like the Formula A/B or cars that use sequential shifters use the paddles with auto clutch but the older cars like Leonus 68 use the H shifter.

Arucardo

Jealous, I want a G25 to replace my DFGT.

I'd say for cars like the Formula A/B or cars that use sequential shifters use the paddles with auto clutch but the older cars like Leonus 68 use the H shifter.

I've got one just sitting in a box next to my bed D: haven't touched it since I bought the Fanatec (except the pedals).

I should probably sell it and get the clubsport or csr elite pedals.

Some questions, i did read the OP and visited the official site yet im still not quite clear.

The Junior membership description says, the user can play monthly builds. That means such user gets the update once a month but can play whenever he wants?

What system will they use to distribute the shares earned by the game?

When is the beta time ending?

A new junior member gets the latest build or does he starts in the first one and each months updates to the next one?

You can use your debit card as a guest with paypal you don't need a paypal account, is what I did anwyay
Ok, but how do you get your share of the earnings back with a fguest account in pay pal?

markao

Some questions, i did read the OP and visited the official site yet im still not quite clear.

The Junior membership description says, the user can play monthly builds. That means such user gets the update once a month but can play whenever he wants?

What system will they use to distribute the shares earned by the game?

When is the beta time ending?

A new junior member gets the latest build or does he starts in the first one and each months updates to the next one?

Ok, but how do you get your share of the earnings back with a fguest account in pay pal?
- Jr build, right now once a month (1st Friday of the month) a new build, you can play it whenever you want. Content, now, is similar to other builds, but likely to change in the short term (poll /discussion running right now).

- Revenue: Prefered paypal, but in the end user choice, cost (international bank transfer for example) associated with it for user.

- Beta time, not sure what you mean, but release is planned for 03-2013. The time to become a member might close very soon (weeks), as they seem to have found an external partner to fill up the remaining budget (95% likely).

- Beta time, not sure what you mean, but release is planned for 03-2013. The time to become a member might close very soon (weeks), as they seem to have found an external partner to fill up the remaining budget (95% likely).
Million thanks Markao, really. My other curiosity is will this be a retail game only or will there be a chance it shows up in DD services. In that case im wondering how, for example, will Steam discount the 10 euros from a junior membership.

Anyway, it seems good. Those the game experiments lots of crashes or bugs?

Megasoum

Banned
Million thanks Markao, really. My other curiosity is will this be a retail game only or will there be a chance it shows up in DD services. In that case im wondering how, for example, will Steam discount the 10 euros from a junior membership.

They pretty much confirmed Steam already. They will probably sell keys on the website that they can sell for whatever amount they want and then you enter them into steam to unlock the game.

markao

Even though most people would love to see a digital/steam version and there likely will be one, nothing official has been decided. Vitto's latest reply about the discount, was that they are thinking in some form of discount coupon, where you will be able to use it, not yet known/decided.

Its game development and sometimes things get broken. For me is has been surprisingly stable I would say, but for someone else (different PC config) things might be different. (few more crashes)

mclaren777

I never use the clutch on my G27 and I rarely ever use the paddle shifters unless I'm racing in an organized league.

Mostly, I just use an automatic transmission and left-foot brake.

*a hush falls over the crowd*

Sethos

Banned
The clutch is the work of Satan. I love manual shifting, pushing the rev limit and making or breaking a race based on your shifting but the clutch is just annoying.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

markao - 1:30.229 (video)
Salacious Crumb - 1:30.881
Big Takeover - 1:31.385 (Video)
Orgun - 1:31.863
Dilly - 1:31.877
Polyphony - 1:31.974
ArcticFox - 1:32.349
Foliorum Viridum - 1:32.622 (video)
_machine - 1:32.921
fresquito - 1:33.030
Whatevaman - 1:33.566
jet1911 - 1:34.670
kafiend - 1:34.731
Shaneus - 1:36.567
IMACOMPUTER - 1:36.851
Blizzard - 1:41.437

And the game definitely needs to get on Steam. It's pretty much the place for community based PC gaming. It's so good having all of the guys I play F1 with on my friend list, being able to jump in to the same chat room, being able to bring up the overlay to chat to those who don't have headsets, etc etc.

I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't launch on Steam. I honestly can't see that happening because it would be madness.

Megasoum

Banned
I never use the clutch but I'm always in manual.

I normally alternate between paddles and sequential shifter depending on the car (I love the stick shift but I need my paddles for the fast cars).

Right now, since I have to use my Fanatec with the G25 drivers, the game only sees my wheel as a gated shifter so I can't use my sequential at all unless I unmap my paddles (which I can't do of course). If only the game would allow me to have more than one binding for each actions, this would easily be fixed.

Blizzard

Banned
I think retail with Steam was the huge winner in the poll a while back, though as always I suppose things could change.

I don't know if it's news or not, but there seems to be a new track thread in which the art director is working on some track called Anhalt.

*edit* Also, check out the Azure Coast thread for the environment artists continuing to improve it: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4354-Azure-Coast

The sidewalk looks sweet, and I like how one of them was working on making the geometry look less angular. :D

I think retail with Steam was the huge winner in the poll a while back, though as always I suppose things could change.

I don't know if it's news or not, but there seems to be a new track thread in which the art director is working on some track called Anhalt.

*edit* Also, check out the Azure Coast thread for the environment artists continuing to improve it: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4354-Azure-Coast

The sidewalk looks sweet, and I like how one of them was working on making the geometry look less angular. :D

Anhalt is Oschersleben, and is already in the current build.

Hoping to get some laps in tonight. I'd like to give Sal Crumb a run for his money. Markao, forget about it though!

Megasoum

Banned

Isn't Anhalt already in the game? I tought they added it a couple of builds ago.

You can get a track list with the real names here: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?2220-List-of-Tracks-in-Project-CARS

Uh... there has been AI cars for ages. You have to add them yourself in the race.

They're pretty crap at the moment though. Too aggressive and crash too much.

If you want fun, add 64 cars to Spa. Absolute chaos.

Uh... there has been AI cars for ages. You have to add them yourself in the race.

Seems like fun, need something to play instead of Dirt 2. This seems to look more or less close to it in terms of visuals. So even if im incompetent in racing games this would bring some much needed variety.

fresquito

Well, I wouldn't say pretty crap, knowing how they were in the beginning. For open wheelers they're a no-no at any rate. But with the Asano X4, for istance, they are not that bad. Well, it also depends on the track.

Relative to where they were, it's greatly improved. Compared to a finished product, they are crap. There's still a long way to go and I don't think there's much fun to be had racing the AI at the moment.

I tried Azure Coast in the X4 yesterday and they'd just spin or keep ramming me. I'll stick to time trial runs until the AI gets a few more updates!

fresquito

No wonder. Azure Coast is a new track, the AI works worse there than in other older tracks, such as Bathurst or Bologna.

I don't mean it's good, but apart from some failures and things that need to be fixed, I like the base work and the direction (not a single line of cars that you need to overtake ala Out Run).

Yeah, Azure is new, but I tried racing on Spa a few days ago in various vehicles and there was always a pile-up on the first corner. Every single time! I agree that it's good the cars aren't just in one line, though.

Anyway, I'm not really concerned about AI since I'll be focusing on racing online. :D I'm sure by the time the game ships the AI will be as good as the other aspects of the game, though.

spicy cho

I've never used the clutch on my g25, always left foot brake. In fact I removed my clutch pedal because my foot would get caught under it sometimes and it spoiled one too many online races. That said I still use manual with the h shifter or the paddles depending on the car I'm in.

Top Bottom