• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Jamesways

Upgraded to Team Member. Will upgrade to Full Member soon.

I'm still praying this comes to consoles. I do see your point Mclaren777, it is still a financial risk. And man do I love Race Pro.

I do think that if the grahpics are pretty on console, people will buy it. I can understand if they do "shift-ify" a bit to get a broader audience, but Forza and GT sells like hotcakes, so there definitely is a sim market to be had.

Yoritomo

How do you turn on telemetry in this game? I've been googling and searching the forums like mad and can't find the control for telemetry overlay.

Nevermind, I found it, it's the HUD mode in the control configuration.

gillty

Banned
the little details in this game make me giddy.
projectcarssuspensionzmjp6.gif

Yep http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/66958

I'll be picking one up tomorrow morning :D

They're selling DSi's for $20 as well, madness.

Heh. Good luck on that. I went to three Dick Smith stores this morning and they had all been picked clean.

The prices they had WERE madness and the craziness ensued with a cacophony of smelly people with no where NEAR enough stock to go around. DSE were attempting to get rid of their stock and they were successful in their attempts it seems.

Unfortunately it seems the website doesn't emulate the prices that were in store with only a few items cheaper.

That said, there are a few good games for VERY cheap... it's unfortunate that I already own all of those damn games though :/ I really wish they still had revelations online because I would have snagged that.

Back on topic - this game is truly mind boggling. If they could only put as much detail into the backgrounds as they have the cars it will be surely the best looking and feeling car racing game ever constructed, as it is now, the car's feel the most realistic that I've ever experienced. The difference between some of the upper cars and the Kart - it feels like the difference between those cars and real life. I really don't know how they've done it, but they have done an amazing job. Now all they need to do is somehow make me feel like I'm actually in control of the car and not just wildly out of control, I think it's just a matter of tuning the steering (this is one game I think I'm going to buy a steering wheel for because it is THAT good).

I hope it's not just restricted to 'race' cars though and that more road cars make it, and if not that, then perhaps some drift cars, because that's where my real life experience with driving comes in and with an engine that is so sim specific and realistic already I salivate at the idea of where it's going in the future.

I LOVE THIS GAME. Gotta love the Type B F1 cars, that is the best type of F1 car IMO before the rules started destroying the sport. Wide stance, amazing looking cars. I love it.

Edit - Also, if anyone could link me to the Chrome McLaren Livery I would be eternally greatful!!

Edit 2 - NM I found it.

Megasoum

Banned
I LOVE THIS GAME. Gotta love the Type B F1 cars, that is the best type of F1 car IMO before the rules started destroying the sport. Wide stance, amazing looking cars. I love it.

Hehe that's because that's not a Formula 1!

The formula B is the equivalent of a GP2 car. Still fun to drive tho, no doubt!

Btw people have found out that Porsches are coming. Not sure which one exactly yet but most probably the race versions. That's great cause the game could really use some proper GT cars.

It was not confirmed (or denied) by SMS but if you look at that video on the Fanatec website you will see that they are driving Porsches on a "unnamed new racing simulator (not from EA or Microsoft)" and you can clearly see the pCARS hud on the screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuzssiai0L8&feature=player_embedded

leca

I know a few of you are Australian, so it's worth mentioning that I now have the full support from WMD to provide a local mirror each week for Project CARS.

We have no problem with builds being mirrored. The only request is that old builds aren't left up once new (weekly) builds are available, otherwise it can lead to people believing they have the latest version when they don't.

I have re added this content to our library, expect to see a new build each week(end) if you are keen for a quick download :)

http://games.on.net/file/49554/Project_CARS_184_Pre_Alpha

Dilly

Banned
Hehe that's because that's not a Formula 1!

The formula B is the equivalent of a GP2 car. Still fun to drive tho, no doubt!

Btw people have found out that Porsches are coming. Not sure which one exactly yet but most probably the race versions. That's great cause the game could really use some proper GT cars.

It was not confirmed (or denied) by SMS but if you look at that video on the Fanatec website you will see that they are driving Porsches on a "unnamed new racing simulator (not from EA or Microsoft)" and you can clearly see the pCARS hud on the screens.

THANK YOU CAR BASED GOD.

Shaneus

Yep http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/66958

I'll be picking one up tomorrow morning :D

They're selling DSi's for $20 as well, madness.
Noooo you won't. The $140 was never going to be for the DSE sale today, they pretty much sold out everywhere *and* the price was recalled at around 4pm yesterday nationwide. I happened to get lucky at my local and score two (one for my brother, who also owns pCARS :D) but some bastards were buying 7-8 and selling them on eBay. Bastards.

Amazing wheel, though. Ridic. buy at the price and insanely better than the DFGT.

Having said that though, if there's anyone here (in Australia, preferably Geelong/Melbourne) who might be interested in my old wheel, I'd be happy to get rid of it for cheap. It has those Gran Turgismo paddle mod things too, so you know it's good.

Three60

Yep, that's definitely Porsche 997 GT3 Cup in game.. Can't believe, soooo happy :))

markao

First go at Derby GP in the Ariel Atom, very early morning settings (headlights on in replay seems to be a bug), two laps recorded, last one slightly quicker. Do like the track and car isn't to bad either.

1:35.231 (second lap, 1st lap = 1.35.399)

set-up:

smiggyRT

I don't think my DFGT pedals are working properly, the bar on the HUD that displays how much throttle you have doesn't go past around 96% full, same with the brakes. :/

Tried playing with some of the settings in the options menu but It's definitely my pedals. Guess I'll shoot Logitech an Email.

So Forza 4 and pCARS with Porsches. Either EA is the new secret publisher for pCARS or theres something going on with the license. Hopefully we'll be seing them in more games, like GT5/6

markao

Looking forward playing around with different day/night settings at Connecticut Hill to check out the additions to the (night)lighting on Friday, looks stunning!

Darren W said:
We now have spot lights illuminating areas of the track at CH. As you can see from the image they are fully shadow casting. CH is just our test bed, but once all issues are sorted we will start adding across other tracks.
01mykgi.jpg

0208kic.jpg

04qxkho.jpg

06iskck.jpg

07khko0.jpg

08o4jov.jpg

09r2kwa.jpg

10xxjgn.jpg

sneaky77

So Forza 4 and pCARS with Porsches. Either EA is the new secret publisher for pCARS or theres something going on with the license. Hopefully we'll be seing them in more games, like GT5/6

Maybe the backlash actually did something, or maybe it wasn't worth it for them not to get any money from other games since sales for The Run sucked.

Megasoum

Banned
I just tried the iHud app for iphone with iRacing...this is amazing! I'm not necessarly a huge fans of the available gauges in the app (I want a LED lights RPM meter but the one in the app is the kind that lights up at both ends and meet at the center, I prefer a F1 style that goes from left to right and ends with blue lights....but anyway that's a minor thing)...

Cars really needs something like that. I already ordered a cheap suction cup iphone holder on ebay to put my phone on the Fanatec wheel base, now I just need the game to support it!

Yoritomo

First go at Derby GP in the Ariel Atom, very early morning settings (headlights on in replay seems to be a bug), two laps recorded, last one slightly quicker. Do like the track and car isn't to bad either.

1:35.231 (second lap, 1st lap = 1.35.399)

Dammit you're fast. Best I could do was a 1:36.031.

There's a ton of time to be found though. I was set to get at least a 1:35.5 when my daughter decided to play with the gated shifter.

Shaneus

Wait, where was this announced? I missed it :(

Also, are people having performance issues with California full? I've tried tweaking the shit out of it, but it's bogging down like crazy compared to other tracks. GPU VRAM is fine, too.

Megasoum

Banned
So we know that Porsche will be in it? I mean, if you remember, the Brawn F1 was demoed in rFactor but from my knowledge, it was never released...

ISI have a complete side project called rFactor Pro that is developped for racing teams to use in their simulators...this was probably what was demoed with the Brawn.

So unless SMS is doing a similar thing with Cars (we haven't heard anything about that anywhere) then this should be the real game.

_machine

Brno seems to be the track for this week:
Andy Garton - Hotlap Car & Track Choice Suggestions said:
BAC Mono at Moravia.

I really hope SMS have secured the Porsche license and we'll get one in game asap, though the car could be unlicensed like the Audis at the moment.

fresquito

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)

markao - 1:35.231 (video)
Yoritomo - 1:36.031
BigTakeover - 1:36.399
Speech - 1:36.498
Dilly - 1:36.567
Polyphony - 1:36.632

I'm really struggling with the Atom - it's why I haven't submitted a time yet. Looking at the number of entries so far, I'm assuming I'm not the only one :p
I'm at 1:39.400 at the moment, with plenty of room to improve. That said, it's a tricky combo for me and I'm not sure I will be able to go below 1:38.

jet1911

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)

markao - 1:35.231 (video)
Yoritomo - 1:36.031
BigTakeover - 1:36.399
Speech - 1:36.498
Dilly - 1:36.567
Polyphony - 1:36.632

I'm really struggling with the Atom - it's why I haven't submitted a time yet. Looking at the number of entries so far, I'm assuming I'm not the only one :p

Yeah my best time right now is 1:40.xxx, not that great. :p

I'm going to swipe markao's setup (or at least his ratios) tonight, and try to get my time down. I'd be happy with a 35.

Stoked on this Porsche news. I think that class of car is going to be a good match for the game's physics.

fresquito

I'm not going to continue trying, don't think I'm going to improve much and I don't enjoy driving the Atom.
I think this track makes it feel even worse. I will stop once I go under 1:39, which is not that hard. But I don't think I will go much lower.

_machine

Top Bottom