• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

DD

Most definitively. Much better.

Assuming you want everything maxed out at least.
Thanks!

okayguy.jpg

DD

I have an AMD X6, 8GB DDR3, and a single 5950; I can run everything at max, full frame rate. Doesn't look as good as some of the photos because I'm not tweaking anything, but it looks incredible and plays excellent.

Mine's a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz and a Radeon 6850. Not that bad, but I can't play Shift 2 maxed out. =(

kafiend

From the forum.

For all new users who are wondering if their system is powerful enough to enjoy C.A.R.S., here are the recommended minimum system specs to run the C.A.R.S. development builds:

CPU - 3.0GHz Dual-Core, 2.4GHz Quad-Core
GRAPHICS - nVidia 9600 GT 512Mb, ATI Radeon HD 4750 512Mb
MEMORY - 2Gb RAM (3Gb-4Gb recommended)

fresquito

I've taken my first try at this week's event and wow, it's crowded!

It's been my first time running in Sakitto GP and with the Jaguar Palmer. I like this combo quite a lot. I'm 11 seconds away from WR, though :lol As you may guess. there're plenty of places where I can save time.

By the time this event ends, I hope to be under six seconds off the WR.

Arucardo

It seems that I'm ok with the VGA and RAM, but the CPU seems to be a bottleneck. Thanks!

I have an E8400 @ 3,8ghz in my other pc, I'll try it out on that when I can (4gigs DDR2 and a 560 Ti) to see how it runs and report back on it. I've played it on this before but honestly can't remember at all how it ran since the majority of the time I've been playing this on my high end pc.

DD

I have an E8400 @ 3,8ghz in my other pc, I'll try it out on that when I can (4gigs DDR2 and a 560 Ti) to see how it runs and report back on it. I've played it on this before but honestly can't remember at all how it ran since the majority of the time I've been playing this on my high end pc.

No, please, don't worry. Seriously!

But thanks!

Blizzard

Banned
I have an e8400 at 3.0 GHz (and a 5850), and can still play reasonably well at 30-45 fps if I turn some settings down, if I recall correctly. Day/night transitions might make that worse. Framerate might be higher on some maps, and I think I usually played in DX11.

fresquito

In case some people are curious, we did a few 1080p 60fps videos of the game. We plan for this to be an ongoing feature as the game evolved :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_project_cars-12894_en.html
Thanks for sharing!

I keep improving at the event. Down to 1:58.765

I'm 8 seconds away from WR. I'm not sure I can go under 1:57. I know where I can save more time: there're three points that can be done much better. But I'm not sure making those well will save me two seconds.

I see markao has set a time. What about the rest of you?

markao

Thanks for sharing!

I keep improving at the event. Down to 1:58.765

I'm 8 seconds away from WR. I'm not sure I can go under 1:57. I know where I can save more time: there're three points that can be done much better. But I'm not sure making those well will save me two seconds.

I see markao has set a time. What about the rest of you?
I don't know if you already saw the video from Joni in the hotlap thread, might give you an idea were you can gain some time. I also attached my set-up, that I used for my hotlap, might be of use (if to loose, just add some wing). It was just good enough for a low 53 & top 10, lets see if I can manage to stay there, although not to much time to have another go in this E3 week

Joni Varis - 1.52 mid - Sakitto GP in Palmer Jaguar (youtube)

And my set-up:

Yoritomo

Thanks. I was struggling but needed a little different setup. I only got into the low 57s with the stock setup. I'm sure I could have gone much faster even with the stock setup but it got gnarly under braking.

fresquito

I don't know if you already saw the video from Joni in the hotlap thread, might give you an idea were you can gain some time. I also attached my set-up, that I used for my hotlap, might be of use (if to loose, just add some wing). It was just good enough for a low 53 & top 10, lets see if I can manage to stay there, although not to much time to have another go in this E3 week

Joni Varis - 1.52 mid - Sakitto GP in Palmer Jaguar (youtube)

And my set-up:

Thanks. I will give it a go. No wonder Joni is faster than me: he's racing on a higher gear than I do all the time. :lol

Angst

Bought in to this a couple of days ago. I wasn't exactly blown away by graphics and sim, but I haven't given it that much time yet. Looks promising though!

Arucardo

FFB adjustments/improvements (I hope) coming this week it seems:

Force feedback updates by A.J.:
- raise core tick to 600Hz
- substep tire/driveline rate x2 below 40 RPS avg on fronts
- FFB cleanup
- Add SoP signal
Quote is from today's build, hope there's more cool stuff in tomorrow's.

Bought in to this a couple of days ago. I wasn't exactly blown away by graphics and sim, but I haven't given it that much time yet. Looks promising though!

Madness. Did you even max everything? Model and IQ wise it's better then GT5. I still think GT5 has some stuff that looks better, can't quite put my finger on what it is though.

Angst

Madness. Did you even max everything? Model and IQ wise it's better then GT5. I still think GT5 has some stuff that looks better, can't quite put my finger on what it is though.
No, but I did max most things. I'll check tonight. I definitely agree that the models are more detailed, IQ as well of course.
GT5 has better lighting and material shaders.
And yeah, that was my thought as well.

pax217

GT5 has better lighting and material shaders.

GT5 doesn't have better lighting. Material shaders, probably yes.

I think it depends what/where. Some of the tracks and cars look great as the sun is going down, w/ reflections and all, whereas others can look a bit janky.

GT5, obviously, has been polished but there are still limitations to the PS3 that Project CARS has already surpassed. (Just get into driver perspective in the Zonda and take a few laps at California)

Arucardo

Also, try turning HDR off. I personally don't like any of the HDR options, it just makes the game look way too bright and washed out during day time.

Angst

I think it depends what/where. Some of the tracks and cars look great as the sun is going down, w/ reflections and all, whereas others can look a bit janky.

GT5, obviously, has been polished but there are still limitations to the PS3 that Project CARS has already surpassed. (Just get into driver perspective in the Zonda and take a few laps at California)

Agreed. Project Cars is still far from finished as well.

fresquito

I agree some combos look better, but the thing is that the lighting is better, no matter the circuit. Lighting is not circuit dependant.

Arucardo

Changelog for this week:

Build 229 (8/6/12, Team Member+)
OneSock threading fixes and improvements:
- Added OneSock lock used to synchronize access to all data shared between OneSock and main threads
- Replaced unreliable usage of volatiles in OneSock lib by proper locking. This fixes OneSock synchronization not working at all in some cases, especially on consoles
- Replaced class-specific locks in Authentication lib by OneSock locking where appropriate. This fixes deadlocks when OneSock and main threads try to access the same resource at the same time
- Fixed several issues in wip hybrid protocol implementation
Ghost system:
- Added GreenLight callback to ghost players.
- Downloaded ghosts will be enabled when the race starts (and sit on the start line until the player crosses the start line), instead of appearing only when the player crosses the start line
Live Delta Potential Lap code improvements to help with a few issues exposed by Winsconsin Raceway
Updated skipping the player's vehicle driveline integration during rolling start, so that wheel fibers remain executed and steering column torque is calculated all the time
Ping rebroadcaster regularly while in a game session. Update current, recent average, highest short-term average and all-time average ping statistics. Pinging the rebroadcaster also lets it know our public IP for NAT punchthrough purposes
Memphis - add new textures for stands
Added additive technique to basic shader
Removed duplicate entry from force feedback tweakers config file
Derby - new dynamic xml file, added cones
Fix for white flashing square bug (tyres shader was missing some normalization on the calculation of the worldnormal)
HDR modes other than photographic exposure were missing a luminance calculation which was breaking FXAA in thoese modes
Sakitto:New textures for fairground assets
Concord initial dynamic objects to make inner Circuit entry more visible
Concord Oval: New compete AIW First pass. 36 pit and start spots
DX11 fix for black silhoette around cars bug
Remove Azure Circuit for now until loft improvements are more progressed
Memphis - add new textures
Stockcar90: livery fixes
Caterham SP300: added new livery
New Delaware Map added
New Concord Map added
Added new track map icons for Glencairn
Updated to new map for Delaware
Concord Circuit - updated name to remove underscores in Menu
New Concord exports
New Derby exports
New Memphis export
New Sakitto exports

Build 228 (7/6/12, Manager+)
Removed surplus namespace keyword from BTCPByteBuffer.cpp
Fix for HDR Cockpit settings
Fix for tcp connections, we now use their host name to get their ip address
Changed the connection code so that you can enter either the target pc's hostname or their ipaddress. You can now connect tweakit to the game running on another pc on your local lan
Ghost system:
- Renamed ghost bit stream put functions to make it clear what is signed and unsigned value
- Renamed delta compression functions to make it clear what is signed and unsigned value
- Delta compression functions take both full value and delta precision as arguments
- Applying deltas to values is now done via explicit functions, instead of direct addition and subtration
- Improved compressor statistics in the debug channel
- Improved delta compression, which can now take advantage of wrapping around the range bounds
- Added unit test for delta compression
- Improvement GhostPrint() debug function to print all parts of the message in one piece, so that the various pieces are not interrupted when printing from multiple threads at the same time
- Improved compressor packet analysis, which will assign the minimum required number of bits to some of the fields in key and delta packets
Live Delta Potential Lap calculation fix; also invalidate the recorded data when vehicle version changes
Delta times shown on the Records screen are now relative to the rank #1 player (as determined by the currently selected filter) and no longer always calculated from the world record holder
Force feedback updates by A.J.:
- FFB cleanup
- Add SoP signal
Added reading of new force feedback tweakers from config files
Crowd placement
- Created billboard sitting for the unique 50+ grandstands
- Added sittinib billboards in VT
- Added standing / 3D crowd to track
- Added flag baners
- Created *.LOD distance file
- Adeed *.LSD audio file
New added bathurst texturemaps
Crowd sakitto placement billboard
Stockcar90: fixed small livery issue
Memphis - add new textures for stands
Updated Pagani Zonda R with new data direct form Pagani. HP, spring rates, damper rates, areo downforce and drag updates. Slightly slower overall that previous version
Changed Anhalt_National track variation from GP to National. Fixes the problem of not being able to view this track's leaderboard from within the title
Removed very low instanced trees for Harrison pikes to reduce memory impact
Added Concord tracks to the tracklist and grp list
First pass on Caterham SP300R physics
New logo added for Concord
Derby - new road textures
Added defaults for new force feedback tweakers to config file
Concord circuit added
New Pagani Zonda R export
New Bathurst export

Build 227 (4/6/12, Senior Manager)
Online: Submitting a stat to leaderboard will invalidate cached data about that leaderboard
Stat submits will no longer be delayed until the main menu finishes loading. They are still disabled while in race, but they will restart when the race finishes and loading to the menu starts
Fixed mistake in cloud_model.fx which resulted in build errors on PC, but strangely built ok on PS3
Added new TrackMap icon : Anhalt GP
Added new TrackMap icon : Anhalt National
Added new TrackMap icon : Azure coast
Added new TrackMap icon : Azure coast rev
Added new TrackMap icon : Azure coast 1
Added new TrackMap icon : Azure coast 2
Added new TrackMap icon : Azure coast 3
Added new TrackMap icon : Badenring GP
Added new TrackMap icon : Badenring historic
Added new TrackMap icon : Badenring national
Added new TrackMap icon : Badenring short
Added new TrackMap icon : Bathust
Added new TrackMap icon : Belgian
Added new TrackMap icon : Besos gp
Added new TrackMap icon : Besos national
Added new TrackMap icon : Bologna
Added new TrackMap icon : Bologna reverse
Added new TrackMap icon : California highway
Added new TrackMap icon : California highway rev
Added new TrackMap icon : California highway 1
Added new TrackMap icon : California highway 2
Added new TrackMap icon : California highway 3
Added new TrackMap icon : California raceway
Added new TrackMap icon : Chesterfield
Added new TrackMap icon : California Connecticut hill
Added new TrackMap icon : California Connecticut hill rev
Added new TrackMap icon : California Connecticut hill short
Added new TrackMap icon : California Connecticut hill short reverse
Added new TrackMap icon : Derby gp
Added new TrackMap icon : Derby national
Added new TrackMap icon : Loire
Added new TrackMap icon : Loire national

So it seems the lap ghost system is in now? I'm not entirely sure if I'm reading it right though and the download isn't up yet, would be nice though, especially if/when we continue the GAF TT's.

markao

Changelog for this week:

So it seems the lap ghost system is in now? I'm not entirely sure if I'm reading it right though and the download isn't up yet, would be nice though, especially if/when we continue the GAF TT's.
Not yet,

being worked on (and is has been for a while) and being included in the "user build" are two different things.

Unless I missed stuff again ;)

Shaneus

Haven't been up to speed for a bit... any updates on the FFB for the G27 or updates on ATI performance? Any settings I should be changing?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So I've just ordered myself a pretty beastly gaming PC and this game has caught my attention but I have a couple of questions:

1. How newbie friendly is this game? The Gran Turismo games were always too hardcore for me and I never got far in them but I've enjoyed the Forza games. I want a racing game that won't leave me with 80% of the content inaccessible because I don't have the skills or the patience to unlock it.

2. Can the game be enjoyed with a 360 controller? I don't want to get a racing wheel but will this severely hamstring me?

3. What's the baseline PC specs to run this game at max settings on a 1080p screen?

Cheers.

Hackbert

So I've just ordered myself a pretty beastly gaming PC and this game has caught my attention but I have a couple of questions:

1. How newbie friendly is this game? The Gran Turismo games were always too hardcore for me and I never got far in them but I've enjoyed the Forza games. I want a racing game that won't leave me with 80% of the content inaccessible because I don't have the skills or the patience to unlock it.

2. Can the game be enjoyed with a 360 controller? I don't want to get a racing wheel but will this severely hamstring me?

3. What's the baseline PC specs to run this game at max settings on a 1080p screen?

Cheers.

1. I would say : Walk away, good sir! You can put on a lot of driving assistants/helps so...
2. ...the controller works, but it is a Simulation. More so than Gran Turismo. I enjoyed it with a game pad, but always felt it isn't the right think, cause without aids it is nearly uncontrollable in my opinion (with the controller).
3. okay can´t answer this, but a newly configured PC should have no problems, given a good GPU/CPU

_machine

Classic Team Lotus is licensed with 10 cars:
1962 Lotus 25
1965 Lotus 40
1965 Lotus 38
1967 Lotus 49
1970 Lotus 49C
1967 Lotus 51
1968 Lotus 56
1970 Lotus 72
1977 Lotus 78
1986 Lotus 98T

I would've liked to see one of the formulas changed to one of the sports cars like Type 23, but still a nice collection of some important historic racers. The current Leonus' will be updated to the real cars (49,78 and 98T).

1. The Career mode will be extensive and hopefully not too short, but I don't expect the game have anywhere near as much grinding as GT so I doubt that I'll be a problem. With assists I'd expect it to be as friendly as Forza if not more accesible.

2. Definitely, but the controls for pads are still being worked on so it's not quite on the same level as say Forza, but they're aiming to be the benchmark and I've already enjoyed countles of hours with a X360 pad.

3.It's still so Work-in-Progress so it's hard to say and depends on conditions, but GTX670/680 should be able to run the game easily (full grid of 64 cars might bring any machine down atm though). I play the all high with 8XMSAA with a 5850/i920 with smooth framerates.

markao

Good to hear they got the Lotus license.

Agree, it is great to see more and more older "classics" in all PC sims!

Shame that the physics tick-rate update causes issues for some people and they (for now) had to revert it, because for me it felt a lot better :(

markao

Agree, it is great to see more and more older "classics" in all PC sims!

Shame that the physics tick-rate update causes issues for some people and they (for now) had to revert it, because for me it felt a lot better :(
Let's qoute myself, as I just read that Steve fixed the issue with the "slomo mode" and the physics internal tick will go back (stays at) to 600 hz for Fridays build.

And I hope will will see the Formula Rookie car in Friday's build as well, as I like those more than the high downforce ones.

__fr_02kmiun.jpg

__fr_036qe5v.jpg

fresquito

I don't know why, but new build is up. Changelog from last Team Member+ update:

Build 234 (14/6/12, Team Member+)
Added more p2p logging
AC metropole building textures checked in
Northampton 'Wing' textures checked in
Cars.lod simplified and prepped for LODD addition. C->D switch to be updated when all cars are ready.
Lotus 49: removed fake wings. New default setup with wide tuning ranges to try and handle the loss of downforce. Could certainly still use some tuning work
Added Formula Rookie car
Bumped version of all vehicles for Friday's stat reset
Formula Rookie animation pack1 + gear to animation
- tweaked roof camera to show driver helet + hands on wheel
- lowered cockpit camera position to match better with driver eyes level
Belgian Forest Circuit - add new textures for Kart Building and WoodenHut
Formula rookie animation, right hand with tighter grip on wheel .
Belgian Forest - add new textures - stavelot buildings
Lotus 98T textures: restored real logos on textures
Lotus 78 textures: restored textures with real logos
Added few more temp barriers from casino square to tobac corner for azure circuit
Formula Rookie: statistics file created and added
AI disabled at Azure Circuit until working AIW is available
Lotus 49: steering ratio lowered back to previous setting
Azure Circuit : updated sction exiting tunnel for new armco. Hand edited raceline and corridors
Lotus 78/98T textures: replaced GripYeah tires with GoodYear
New Ariel exports
New X4 export
New Lotus 49 export
New Lotus 78 export
New Azure Coast export
New Belgian Forest export
New Northampton export

Build 233 (14/6/12, Senior Manager)
Ghost system:
- The player will be informed on the HUD when some of the selected ghosts failed to load
Fixed bug in BDateTime::GetDaysInMonth when checking Feb in a leap year
When enough information about connectivity/latency has been collected from pinging a member on their all known addresses, choose the best address as the "live link" to the member - all p2p communication will then use this address
Added check to prevent wasted alloc when formatting with an empty string
Refactor and optimise internal physics tick and player physics subtick
- Improvements to performance with changes to PhysX updates
- Default physics internal tick to 600 hz
- Alternative 360hz exe added pCARS_360hz.exe
Memphis:New textures for Scoring Pylon asset
Upto date co-ords added for maps
New 'placeholder' map added for testing purposes
Added the HUD co-ords for Azure Circuit
Leonus cars renamed to Lotus
Memphis:Tweaked light levels
Memphis:New texture for video wall
Memphis:Source textures for ScoringPylon
New GUMPERT apollo export
New Stockcar export

Build 232 (13/6/12, Senior Manager)
Reverted changes from CL 224287:
Peer to peer communication WIP:
- Maintain list of all possible IP addresses of session members
- Try to ping members at those addresses
- Give up when there is no reply after severl ping retries, mark p2p address as "live" when a ping request or response is received from the address
Debugged and improved potential lap time prediction method. Bumped version invalidating previously recorded laps
Ghost system:
- Added text message for a ghost load failure to the text database.
- Re-exported text database header.
Gumpert Apollo: Suspension and wiper animations. Wider tuning ranges and small changes to default setup. Adjusted brake heating and glow ranges. Reduced high-rpm engine braking for less lift-off oversteer
Adding supercharger sound for use with Caterham SP300
Adding SP300 engine set
Bathurst texturemaps of slopes
SP300 balancing changes
SP300 engine samples changes
Adding SP300 AI sounds
BAC Mono: corrected badges (BAC request)
New GUMPERT apollo export
New Azure Circuit export

Build 231 (12/6/12, Manager+)
Updated the game client to handle new datagram format correctly. Initial support for p2p ping messages (which will also serve as NAT punchthrough probes)
Moved all Used textures to the Harrison Pike folder for memory optimization reasons
Rescaled/downscaled/dealphaed maps of Harrison pikes for memory optimisation
Stockcar90: livery fixes
Memphis - add new textures (top stands)
Memphis - New textures
Changed direction arrow for maps (concord, Monterey)
Memphis - add new textures for seats
Derby GP and National: New AIW for new chicane layout. Complete new main path, corridors and racelines done
New Derby exports
New Harrison Pike export
New Memphis export

Build 230 (11/6/12, Senior Manager)
Re-enabled spindle fixups with tweaks to thresholds to take into account higher tick frequency
Set car details on fixup to ensure correct wheel offsets used
Moved ping handling to a separate class
Changed broken spindle detection based on Tom's testing feedback
Concord Oval: New racline and narrowed corridors off the outside walls
Harrison pike textures updated and adding new ones
Concord Circuit: New complete AIW. Supports 36
Removed cones blocking the pitexit of Concord circuit
Added new track maps for Florence
Added new track maps for Harrison
Added new track maps for Henrico
Added new track maps for Heusden
Added new track maps for Jin Ding
Added new track maps for Memphis
Added new track maps for Milan
Added new track maps for Monterey
Added new track maps for Moravia
Added new track maps for Northampton
Added new track maps for Rouen
Added new track maps for Sakitto
Added new track maps for Summerton
Added new track maps for Test Track
Added new track maps for Wisconsin
Sakitto - Removed the Thrustmaster Event Dressing now the competition is over
Bumped Zonda version to 3
Added new Azure circuit map
Caterham SP300R: new cockpit display
Caterham SP300R: added HUD display
Added Azure Circuit back in now weekly build is done
New Concord Circuit export
New Harrison Pike Raceway export
New Sakitto exports

Darkdeus

I'll be honest. That looks like it's shitting on pretty much any other racing game from a great height.

Yea it looks better than any other racing game for sure but the ffb imo is not up to rfactor 2 or game stock car standards. This is not surprising though as they still have to add the new tire model and tweak the ffb. The game is still a long ways away from release and i'm sure it will continue to improve. The update rate has definitely helped with the handling. I can place the cars very precisely now and hit the apex much easier. Overall it just feels a lot smoother too.

Top Bottom