• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

But... you can exit the career mode and go and drive whatever you want, wherever you want, for as long as you want in solo mode or online or time trial. You aren't forced to do the next race there and then.
I think I might have misunderstood?

No, I tried the real race schedule. Practice on Friday, qualifying on Saturday, race on Sunday. But it's that 2 races and 10 laps with damage on against opponents, that are roughly at the same skill level as I am, is already exhausting. Going double that right after isn't fun for me. After taking a break I don't think I'd be interested to drive the same car/track combo again. This real race weekend schedule isn't for me.

danowat

Banned
Anyone else have a strong dislike for the Aston Martin Rapide S Hydrogen Hybrid in this game? I was running it in a GT4 championship and it was so unfair lol. That thing is not competitive.
It's underpowered,has a terrible gearbox, and is about the size of a cross channel ferry (and seemingly has a similar suspension setup), it was never going to be competitive!

terrible

Banned
I regretted accepting that invitation in my career pretty quickly. I finished dead last on Sakitto and ended up pitting and skipping race 2 on that track too lol. I still finished 2nd in the championship even after that though. The weird thing is that car dominated on Bathurst in the rain.

DD

My controller settings, if anyone is interested. It's in portuguese, but the numbers are universal. ;D

Mx9rQXH.jpg

4s0FCqV.jpg

TJP

Yet, looking at youTube, most people play with one weather slot consisting of cloudless blue skies at noon.

*shrugs*
It's partly the reason why Assetto Corsa doesn't have changeable weather (edit: likely 'saved' for AC 2 along with ToD changes) because in netKar Pro it was the most requested feature and Kunos discovered that few people ever raced in the rain. That said, I wish changeable ToD and weather was a standard feature in every racing sim.

@Jamesways couldn't agree more regarding the love/hate for Forza. I don't miss the series at all.

Yet, looking at youTube, most people play with one weather slot consisting of cloudless blue skies at noon.

*shrugs*

Not going to lie; this is totally me.

Most of my time lately has been spent in Free Practice mode, (with no opponents), and out of the well over 200 hours I've put into pCARS, I've probably spent all of 5 minutes driving in conditions other than sunny and dry. If I'm feeling adventurous, I might throw in a 'medium cloudy' weather slot, but that's about it.

For all the work that SMS poured into capturing the experience of a race weekend, it's the setup, tuning and testing of cars in pursuit of a lap time that's kept me invested in the game. I'll occasionally indulge in a race or two, but I'm mostly all about chasing hundredths of a second in a particular sector, pulling into the pits to tweak the damping rates and then peeling back out again. In the context in which I most enjoy the game, weather and opponents are often little more than a hindrance.

terrible

Banned
Visually it's nice and the pit strategies are interesting but I don't actually like driving in rain very much in racing games. Day/night cycles I love though.

Not going to lie; this is totally me.

Most of my time lately has been spent in Free Practice mode, (with no opponents), and out of the well over 200 hours I've put into pCARS, I've probably spent all of 5 minutes driving in conditions other than sunny and dry. If I'm feeling adventurous, I might throw in a 'medium cloudy' weather slot, but that's about it.

For all the work that SMS poured into capturing the experience of a race weekend, it's the setup, tuning and testing of cars in pursuit of a lap time that's kept me invested in the game. I'll occasionally indulge in a race or two, but I'm mostly all about chasing hundredths of a second in a particular sector, pulling into the pits to tweak the damping rates and then peeling back out again. In the context in which I most enjoy the game, weather and opponents are often little more than a hindrance.
Please, I too don't like driving in the rain or Forza's overdone puddles, but pleaaase, try switching weather to "real" for a while and use tracks out of your comfort zone. Not saying do races or career or leaderboard time trials. If tweaking in practice is your thing, by all means that can be great fun and even somewhat educational, but try "real" weather and some different time-of-days.

Please, I too don't like driving in the rain or Forza's overdone puddles, but pleaaase, try switching weather to "real" for a while and use tracks out of your comfort zone. Not saying do races or career or leaderboard time trials. If tweaking in practice is your thing, by all means that can be great fun and even somewhat educational, but try "real" weather and some different time-of-days.

I hear you, friend. I should have emphasized that my 'no weather' policy strictly covers precip and does not extend to day-night cycles, which I almost always have on an accelerated setting.

I'd never deny myself that experience!

DD

Little race I did today. This is one of the moments where I love this game. Still trying to get the hangs of Formula B, and I'm using the Dualshock, so there are many little mistakes, but nothing attrocious, except the door closing at 2:37 (I didn't noticed that during the race). Sorry for the cloudless blue skies at noon. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U00KBRCoLL0

I hear you, friend. I should have emphasized that my 'no weather' policy strictly covers precip and does not extend to day-night cycles, which I almost always have on an accelerated setting.

I'd never deny myself that experience!
Having it start to rain just a little and stay as long out there testing your newest adjustment is so greaat. When it gets too uncontrollable, just speed up time or restart the sesion.

Mascot

Interesting comments. Personally I loooooove the fact that no two skies are the same if there are clouds involved. I tend to avoid rain (although GT3s at Silverstone Classic in a dawn-to-dusk thunderstorm is pretty fucking amazing) but do mix up the cloud cover as much as possible. Fog is also underrated, especially heavy fog at dawn where headlights, taillights and (especially) brake lights in the grey gloom make me chub.

Edit: added a phone to my rig because knowledge is power and information overload is a good thing..

Juicy Bob

Would anyone be able to explain how the weather slots work in Free Practice mode?

I've been wanting to do race simulation runs in Free Practice away from a Race Weekend or Career setting - particularly practising changing conditions to work out when to change from dry to wet tyres.

I set up four weather slots that go: Clear, Light Rain, Heavy Rain, Clear. I know in Free Practice mode you can set session duration by either laps or time. I'm not sure if that actually does anything given that it's practice, but I set the duration for two hours.

I set the time progression to 'Real Time' and weather progression to 'Sync to Race', thinking that would mean that the rain would kick in around 30 minutes into a two hour session, but nope. Clear skies throughout.

Am I missing something/being stupid or do the weather slots not work in Free Practice mode?

Mascot

Would anyone be able to explain how the weather slots work in Free Practice mode?

I've been wanting to do race simulation runs in Free Practice away from a Race Weekend or Career setting - particularly practising changing conditions to work out when to change from dry to wet tyres.

I set up four weather slots that go: Clear, Light Rain, Heavy Rain, Clear. I know in Free Practice mode you can set session duration by either laps or time. I'm not sure if that actually does anything given that it's practice, but I set the duration for two hours.

I set the time progression to 'Real Time' and weather progression to 'Sync to Race', thinking that would mean that the rain would kick in around 30 minutes into a two hour session, but nope. Clear skies throughout.

Am I missing something/being stupid or do the weather slots not work in Free Practice mode?

I *think* synch-to-race only works in actual races. Yeah, I know - daft. There is a formula somewhere for equal distribution of weather slots but I can't find it right now.

fresquito

Each weather slot lasts 55mins. Sync to Race only works in races (and I don't know just how well, it was bugged a long time ago and haven't followed whether it was fixed or not).

Jamesways

Nice video, good race! Love the Formula C myself. B is good fun too, A is a bit too much for me sometimes.

Interesting comments. Personally I loooooove the fact that no two skies are the same if there are clouds involved. I tend to avoid rain (although GT3s at Silverstone Classic in a dawn-to-dusk thunderstorm is pretty fucking amazing) but do mix up the cloud cover as much as possible. Fog is also underrated, especially heavy fog at dawn where headlights, taillights and (especially) brake lights in the grey gloom make me chub.

Edit: added a phone to my rig because knowledge is power and information overload is a good thing..
It's the little things, isn't it? Love the reflections of the lights on the track in overcast settings.
20263106051_e6a4950a2b_o.jpg

I also really dig the hazy setting. Racing that at Road America with the GT/LMPs brings me back to going to the American LeMans races in the hot days of August. Already got tickets for this year!

And holy shit at your set up now! Nice.

DD

Nice video, good race! Love the Formula C myself. B is good fun too, A is a bit too much for me sometimes.
Thanks, James!

I'm thinking about getting the American DLC Pack specially because of the Dallara DW12, but I wonder if I'll regret pickin' it, cuz' I don't know if the DW12 is usable on the career mode. Speaking of it, is the Vette playable on GT3 championships on the career? Does anyone know?

danowat

Banned
Thanks, James!

I'm thinking about getting the American DLC Pack specially because of the Dallara DW12, but I wonder if I'll regret pickin' it, cuz' I don't know if the DW12 is usable on the career mode. Speaking of it, is the Vette playable on GT3 championships on the career? Does anyone know?
DW12 has its own invitational series, and the Corvette does have a career invite so it's possible to use it (and the Cadillac too) in the GT3 career (even though it's not a GT3 car!)

Mascot

It's the little things, isn't it? Love the reflections of the lights on the track in overcast settings.

Amen to that. Remember when you could barely see them then they turned up the intensity in a patch? That was a good day. It's amazing looking back through the patch notes - you forget just what's been added and improved.

And holy shit at your set up now! Nice.

Ha ha - I was given a new iPad Mini today from a grateful supplier, so need to shoehorn that in somewhere as well... :p

DD

DW12 has its own invitational series, and the Corvette does have a career invite so it's possible to use it (and the Cadillac too) in the GT3 career (even though it's not a GT3 car!)

Nice to know! Thanks!

And what about the TS-040 and the R18 2014? Do you know anything about them? Are they available on the LMP1 class on the career mode?

danowat

Banned
Cool! Is it easy to drive with a pad?
I don't have much trouble, just got to bear in mind that when the hybrid system is charged it gives you double the power, so take that into account when exiting turns and hang on for the ride!.

The Audi etron is quicker overall but nowhere near as fun.

DD

I don't have much trouble, just got to bear in mind that when the hybrid system is charged it gives you double the power, so take that into account when exiting turns and hang on for the ride!.

The Audi etron is quicker overall but nowhere near as fun

Why is that?

I saw some videos and it seems that the visibility is better inside the Toyota. But I'm an Audi fag.

danowat

Banned
Why is that?

I saw some videos and it seems that the visibility is better inside the Toyota. But I'm an Audi fag.
Just a more tractable power unit, not as spiky, easier to drive at the limit constantly, the TS is a bit of a brute and needs concentration, but that's what makes it fun and the Audi a bit of a bore!

DD

Just a more tractable power unit, not as spiky, easier to drive at the limit constantly, the TS is a bit of a brute and needs concentration, but that's what makes it fun and the Audi a bit of a bore!

Seems on par to what I've heard about their real life counterparts.

danowat

Banned
How are people finding online leagues, or decent people to race online with?

Just started getting into online racing, and enjoy it quite a bit, especially when I can find servers that offer things like V8 supercars or Nascar rather than the defacto GT3 servers.

Trouble is, for every good race, I have 5 bad crashfests, so need to find a better group of people than the usual public lobby crew.

fresquito

How are people finding online leagues, or decent people to race online with?

Just started getting into online racing, and enjoy it quite a bit, especially when I can find servers that offer things like V8 supercars or Nascar rather than the defacto GT3 servers.

Trouble is, for every good race, I have 5 bad crashfests, so need to find a better group of people than the usual public lobby crew.
Our Online League is better than ever. We even have live broadcast. If you can talk in Spanish, join us at LFO Club :-D

danowat

Banned
oh fuck, that's right, you are mainly PS4, right? I don't think that will work. Maybe you can find out if the TX steering wheel and pedals works with a T300 wheel-base on PS4.

Yeah, mainly PS4, I'll do some research, but thanks for the offer anyway!

Doesn't look like the T300 will work with TX kit

Compatible on PS4™, PS3™ and PC with detachable Thrustmaster wheels** (TM Leather 28 GT Wheel Add-On, Ferrari F1 Wheel Add-On, Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On, etc.)

Compatible on PS4™, PS3™ and PC avec with Thrustmaster 3-pedal pedal sets**
(T3PA and T3PA-PRO – Thrustmaster 3 Pedals Add-on)

Also, in laymans terms, what is wrong with a gear driven wheel?

Yeah, mainly PS4, I'll do some research, but thanks for the offer anyway!

Sorry that I didn't think of it directly. If you can't find anything, I could try the TX wheel and pedals on my T500 base. I mean, if that works, then it almost certainly works with a T300 base too (right?!?? :/).

Edit: about the compatibility from your quote. If I were Thrustmaster, I wouldn't admit that it works either. On the gear-driven thing: I'm the wrong person to say much about it (only used a G27 overall for maybe 1 hour and that was about 2 years ago), but belt driven wheels feel smoother (<-- what I remember) and the dead-zone is way smaller, which changes the filter curves to quite a different and better feel (<--that's what I read on the net).

danowat

Banned
Sorry that I didn't think of it directly. If you can't find anything, I could try the TX wheel and pedals on my T500 base. I mean, if that works, then it almost certainly works with a T300 base too (right?!?? :/).

Edit: about the compatibility from your quote. If I were Thrustmaster, I wouldn't admit that it works either. On the gear-driven thing: I'm the wrong person to say much about it (only used a G27 overall for maybe 1 hour and that was about 2 years ago), but belt driven wheels feel smoother (<-- what I remember) and the dead-zone is way smaller, which changes the filter curves to quite a different and better feel (<--that's what I read on the net).

Worth a try!.

Yeah, you're probably right, but maybe cross compatibility would be something they might want to market if it were possible?, I reckon the differences in input buttons on the wheels themselves are a big stumbling block, but I wouldn't be suprised if the pedals worked.

As for the gear driven, wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has one, I have a G27 in my loft, and used for years, and before that I had a FREX equipped G25 which I put an ungodly amount of hours on, and didn't have too much issue using either, plus I think the G29 is helical gears, which should eliminate backlash.

Worth a try!.

Yeah, you're probably right, but maybe cross compatibility would be something they might want to market if it were possible?, I reckon the differences in input buttons on the wheels themselves are a big stumbling block, but I wouldn't be suprised if the pedals worked.

Wheel works on PC and PS3 with the T500 wheel base, I have my PS4 at my parents' home and would have to pay them a visit to test that. But so far everything worked without the slightest problem, all buttons, pedals are working and it calibrated correctly. Tried GT6 and even found the button that is matched to PS-button, which is more than I can say of my 599XX alcantara wheel. I honestly can't imagine it wouldn't work with a T300 base as well.

danowat

Banned
Wheel works on PC and PS3 with the T500 wheel base, I have my PS4 at my parents' home and would have to pay them a visit to test that. But so far everything worked without the slightest problem, all buttons, pedals are working and it calibrated correctly. Tried GT6 and even found the button that is matched to PS-button, which is more than I can say of my 599XX alcantara wheel. I honestly can't imagine it wouldn't work with a T300 base as well.

Cool, it's a possibility then!

Juicy Bob

I have a problem with low-speed stability and precision in the Ginetta G55 GT3 around La Sarthe and I can't work out if it's my setup or my controller settings.

danowat

Banned
I have a problem with low-speed stability and precision in the Ginetta G55 GT3 around La Sarthe and I can't work out if it's my setup or my controller settings.

It's a common problem in PCars, espeically in cars with downforce, open up the diff decel setting, and soften the rear end (springs, dampers and ARB) and maybe stiffen the front end if you don't already have issues with understeer, and see if that helps.

is it a trail braking issue? Then set the brake bias more to the front (though what danowat said about the diff-decel setting and softening will help here too). If it's under acceleration, soften the rear. If it's in neutral conditions already, soften the rear and sway bars. Less tire pressure and more camber (edit: negative camber, also more toe-in) can help as well. Higher caster can make it less twitchy (there is a caster setting in pCARS right? That was GT that didn't have that, or?)

Juicy Bob

Thanks guys.

I'm preparing for the 24 hours in career. I started off with the default setup as a base but it was far too slow on the straights, so I lowered the wings and lengthened the gear ratios.

The car was really responsive on turn-in, like, REALLY responsive - which is usually great, because I need a good turn-in to have confidence - but I felt that I was having to correct mid-corner too much so I had a look at the suspension settings and used the help text to stiffen a few bits up. I think it was the fast bump settings? It suggested doing so for tracks with less corners. Also increased the steering ratio because I thought it would help be smoother given that most of the track is straights...

At the moment everything is great through the first sector and the Porsche Curves. But when it comes to the chicanes I'm finding it tough to keep a precise line and I'm always understeering in Arnage. It's so annoying to do a great lap but then accidentally cut the final Ford Chicane and ruin both that and the next lap because the car turned in more sharply than I was expecting...

Still, that was only one practice session over lunch. I'll play around with your suggestions and see how it goes. Planning to sit down and run the whole race at the weekend (three or four hours, maybe). Really looking forward to it!

The car was really responsive on turn-in, like, REALLY responsive - which is usually great, because I need a good turn-in to have confidence - but I felt that I was having to correct mid-corner too much so I had a look at the suspension settings and used the help text to stiffen a few bits up. I think it was the fast bump settings? It suggested doing so for tracks with less corners. Also increased the steering ratio because I thought it would help be smoother given that most of the track is straights...

At the moment everything is great through the first sector and the Porsche Curves. But when it comes to the chicanes I'm finding it tough to keep a precise line and I'm always understeering in Arnage. It's so annoying to do a great lap but then accidentally cut the final Ford Chicane and ruin both that and the next lap because the car turned in more sharply than I was expecting...

That's something completely different than what I thought from your first post. If I were you, I'd go to the standard setup again, then less downforce, softer front sway bars to get rid of some understeer (maybe softer slow bumb too); more negative front camber and less caster angle to turn the responsiveness up (maybe less toe-in on the rear, or a bit more toe-out in the front).

Top Bottom