• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

danowat

Banned
Hmmm.....

How easy is it to replace a console (couch gaming, easy UI, no fannying around with drivers, ini files, constantly upgrading kit) with a PC these days?

how much moneys are we talking about?

Whatever you do, you have to wait for nVidia's new Pascal architecture which will be Q3 2016 with news and maybe solid previews in June of what I've heard.

I'll give you a short calculation:

Intel Core i5 6600k (3.5GHz quadcore latest gen): 240€ (it's really not worth it to go lower, imo, but you could go 2.7GHz for ~170€... but 3.5GHz will last you 2-3 graphics card generations)
Graphics card from nVidia's next gen at low VR-ready spec (guesswork here): 250-300€
16GB DDR3 RAM: 70€ (or 45€ for 8GB that would be totally sufficient)
Motherboard: 65 to 90€ should do it
Hybrid 1TB Hard Disk Drive: 55€
CPU cooler: 20-30€ (+ ~6€ thermal grease)
Case: 50€ -100€
Power supply: 50€ (can find some for 30, but wouldn't do it)
Blu-Ray drive: 60€ (or no drive for 0€, or just a DVD drive to play old used copies and install windows for ~15€)

danowat

Banned
Seen a few people discuss the Alienware Alpha/X51 that is often available with discounts.

Depends on the performance you are aiming for. There's an excellent topic called I need a new PC where people can help you build a machine that fits your necessities.

Whatever you do, you have to wait for nVidia's new Pascal architecture which will be Q3 2016 with news and maybe solid previews in June of what I've heard.

I'll give you a short calculation:

Intel Core i5 6600k (3.5GHz quadcore latest gen): 240€ (it's really not worth it to go lower, imo, but you could go 2.7GHz for ~170€... but 3.5GHz will last you 2-3 graphics card generations)
Graphics card from nVidia's next gen at low VR-ready spec (guesswork here): 250-300€
16GB DDR3 RAM: 70€ (or 45€ for 8GB that would be totally sufficient)
Motherboard: 65 to 90€ should do it
Hybrid 1TB Hard Disk Drive: 55€
CPU cooler: 20-30€ (+ ~6€ thermal grease)
Case: 50€ -100€
Power supply: 50€ (can find some for 30, but wouldn't do it)
Blu-Ray drive: 60€ (or no drive for 0€, or just a DVD drive to play old used copies and install windows for ~15€)

Thanks, aside from the cost, the big thing is, could it be used like a console?, I've limited time, so just want something plug and play.

Thanks, aside from the cost, the big thing is, could it be used like a console?, I've limited time, so just want something plug and play.

You can have Windows autostart Steam and have Steam start into "big picture mode", with a Steam Controller you can do all your mouse-work but not sure if you would still need a keyboard, PC games usually don't give you an onscreen keyboard to use with a controller. A keyboard with integrated track-pad is nice for couch gaming.

About configuring games, nVidia has a program called "GeForce Experience", it detects all games installed on your hdd and knows your system specs. It can auto-setup graphics settings for pretty much any game and you never have to fiddle with in-game graphics settings (for me it's a little on the "good looks over performance"-side though, but 90% of the time it finds a setting that will let me play at relatively constant 60fps).

About upgrading: You could go with a small internal SSD and use external USB3 drives for the games, but you would still need to upgrade your graphics card and open your case for that. Usually buying in the 250€ or the 400€ region and then re-selling/buy-new-one every 3-4 years is the best option from a price/performance perspective.

Edit:
Oh and of course modern graphic cards all have HDMI out and an integrated sound-card for that purpose, you can just plug it in your TV and it works. If you need Wi-Fi you need to find the right Motherboard (or get a USB one), if you need bluetooth, bluetooth usb-stick costs ~15€.

danowat

Banned
You can have Windows autostart Steam and have Steam start into "big picture mode", with a Steam Controller you can do all your mouse-work but not sure if you would still need a keyboard, PC games usually don't give you an onscreen keyboard to use with a controller. A keyboard with integrated track-pad is nice for couch gaming.

About configuring games, nVidia has a program called "GeForce Experience", it detects all games installed on your hdd and knows your system specs. It can auto-setup graphics settings for pretty much any game and you never have to fiddle with in-game graphics settings (for me it's a little on the "good looks over performance"-side though, but 90% of the time it finds a setting that will let me play at relatively constant 60fps).

About upgrading: You could go with a small internal SSD and use external USB3 drives for the games, but you would still need to upgrade your graphics card and open your case for that. Usually buying in the 250€ or the 400€ region and then re-selling/buy-new-one every 3-4 years is the best option from a price/performance perspective.

Hmmm......certainly sounds like a possibility then, I could also use it to replace my HDD media player/s at the same time as well.

GHG

I have my PC hooked up to my TV via my Yamaha receiver in my living room and have it set to startup with Steam big picture mode. I'm into steam within 45 seconds of turning my PC on.

I also have a DS4 controller hooked up using DS4 Windows and the touchpad on the controller acts as a mouse pad when on the desktop and in normal applications so it's all works pretty well alongside a wireless keyboard. Other than to turn the PC on I never need to leave my sofa :).

fresquito

You need to understand that the word that defines PC gaming is Options. You can treat it like a console and you can also create your own games, and then there's a bazillion options more in between.

One thing I'll tell you, though: Everything sounds far more complicated than it actually is. Modifying ini files is as simple as opening a notepad document and changing a 0 by a 1. It is as long as you can read and follow instructions in Readme files. Then again, you canl ignore all these tweaks, mods and whatnot. Still what you're given by default it's usually far ahead of what consoles offer today (in multiplatform titles, at least).

TJP

One thing I'll tell you, though: Everything sounds far more complicated than it actually is.
Indeed.

The amount of misinformation and total FUD on NeoGAF regarding PC gaming is laughable. There has never been a better or easier time to get into PC gaming from a novice level than today; even building a PC is simple if you take your time and use some brains.

terrible

Banned
Indeed.

The amount of misinformation and total FUD on NeoGAF regarding PC gaming is laughable. There has never been a better or easier time to get into PC gaming from a novice level than today; even building a PC is simple if you take your time and use some brains.

Pitting an Ikea shelf together is harder than putting a computer together.

danowat

Banned
You need to understand that the word that defines PC gaming is Options. You can treat it like a console and you can also create your own games, and then there's a bazillion options more in between.

One thing I'll tell you, though: Everything sounds far more complicated than it actually is. Modifying ini files is as simple as opening a notepad document and changing a 0 by a 1. It is as long as you can read and follow instructions in Readme files. Then again, you canl ignore all these tweaks, mods and whatnot. Still what you're given by default it's usually far ahead of what consoles offer today (in multiplatform titles, at least).

Oh, I know how PC's work, I was a PC gamer from the late 90's till the Xbox360 came out, so I know what they used to be like.
I don't have the time or inclination to mess around with things like that anymore, which is why I switched to consoles, but the way this gen has gone, and the potential mid-gen refresh has passed me off, so I wondered if PC gaming was now a good replacement for a console.

fresquito

Oh, I know how PC's work, I was a PC gamer from the late 90's till the Xbox360 came out, so I know what they used to be like.
I don't have the time or inclination to mess around with things like that anymore, which is why I switched to consoles, but the way this gen has gone, and the potential mid-gen refresh has passed me off, so I wondered if PC gaming was now a good replacement for a console.
I'll give you the Dark Souls example. You can install mods and make it run 1080@60fps, with great AA, HD textures, better effects... Or you can play the default game. The default game is a the Xbox360 game, but at 1080. So, worst case scenario: you've got a better version than that of console. This is true for most games. Some are really bad ports and offer specific issues. But these are a minority these days.

Confort, updates, even graphic settings, can be managed by Steam and Nvidia Experience, so there's zero need to fiddle with anything complicated if you don't want to.

Now, you'll probably feel the urge to improve your game when you know it is possible. Don't blame the options given if that's the case ;-)

fresquito

Sorry for the double post. Some heads up:

In about two hours, westart our LMP2 Endurance Championship. We will be broadcasting it. It will be in Spanish, but if you're willing to see some good racing, you're invited to watch. The Race will start at 18:35 CET and will last one hour. There're 25 racers registered.

Here's the link to the stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxySFczBt0

Unprofessional Fridays:
giantbombvs.pcars-now75o1j.gif

terrible

Banned
Where is the career save file located on PC? I recently reformatted my PC and thought I had everything backed up but upon booting Project Cars I realized I clearly hadn't. That's unfortunate.

Same thing with Assetto Corsa actually :/

edit: Oh, in Steam's userdata folder. Damn. I thought anything in there would just be backed up to the cloud so I didn't bother with it. I guess this game doesn't save on the cloud?

Icefire1424

Anyone know the latest with regard to tire degradation for the AI? Recently moved up into Formula A, and surprised to see that in a 30 lap race the AI didn't need to pit at all. Recall reading on the Project CARS forums that AI tire wear is handled considerably different than the players, but couldn't gather if the AI tires just don't degrade at all, or how it works.

Rather frustrating. Was having a good race but ended up losing once my tires started to give out and I needed to pit in, thinking the AI would have to do the same. Nope.

Mascot

I can't live without look to apex now

I think it's very well implemented in pCARS, and adds to immersion and cornering accuracy. People (crazy people) need to get over the "lol feels like im slidin lol no way its weird lol" and take time to set it up properly, experiment with it, tweak it, and get used to it.

OK, it's not as good as TrackIR or VR, but as a halfway house I think it's a pretty neat solution. The 'normal' static cockpit view feels like I'm wearing a neck brace with tunnel vision now.

terrible

Banned
Eh, it's nothing like real life though since your view is so limited by the in-game field of view. The proper way to do it is to have a triple monitor setup so you can just move your eyes or head and look yourself.

If you like the look to apex feature that's cool but nobody is "crazy" for not liking it. Personal preferences and all that.

Mascot

Eh, it's nothing like real life though since your view is so limited by the in-game field of view. The proper way to do it is to have a triple monitor setup so you can just move your eyes or head and look yourself.

If you like the look to apex feature that's cool but nobody is "crazy" for not liking it. Personal preferences and all that.

Don't be offended, it was tongue in cheek (as you probably know) :).

And sim racing in general is never really like real life for hundreds of reasons, but in the absence of a triple monitor set-up (ie the vast, vast majority of console - and probably PC - users) look-to-apex is a decent compromise compared to the default static cockpit. Look-to-apex gets dismissed far too easily because it does feel weird at first, there's no getting away from that. Put the time in though (and tweak it to suit) and I reckon it does add to the experience.

Edit: Japanese release trailer "Perfect Edition" let the jokes begin.

Edit 2: next DLC date to be revealed tomorrow.

merc_zps6mo4oxzy.jpg

I was getting a little practice on the Nordschleife again in R3E, saw comparison videos with iRacing and Assetto Corsa, but not with Project CARS and I felt like booting that up again anyway while I was downloading the 17GB DiRT Rally update.

Untouched setup --> bottomed out
maximum ride height and softer suspension to compensate --> bottomed out
maximum ride height, raised bump stop accordingly(more or less maxed out), suspension stiffness reset to original values --> better, but still bottoming out (see video here)

Is this the track that is just bugged-uneven? Also... I'm not sure what sound is supposed to be the car hitting the bump stop and what sound is road surface contact.

If someone has a "of couuuurse!! THAT's it!" - pro-tip, I'm interest, but otherwise I'll just not bother with the Nordschleife in pCARS anymore (I remember the Audi R8 V10 Plus bottoming out and lifting too on the Nordschleife when I was still on Xbox).

danowat

Banned
I was getting a little practice on the Nordschleife again in R3E, saw comparison videos with iRacing and Assetto Corsa, but not with Project CARS and I felt like booting that up again anyway while I was downloading the 17GB DiRT Rally update.

Untouched setup --> bottomed out
maximum ride height and softer suspension to compensate --> bottomed out
maximum ride height, raised bump stop accordingly(more or less maxed out), suspension stiffness reset to original values --> better, but still bottoming out (see video here)

Is this the track that is just bugged-uneven? Also... I'm not sure what sound is supposed to be the car hitting the bump stop and what sound is road surface contact.

If someone has a "of couuuurse!! THAT's it!" - pro-tip, I'm interest, but otherwise I'll just not bother with the Nordschleife in pCARS anymore (I remember the Audi R8 V10 Plus bottoming out and lifting too on the Nordschleife when I was still on Xbox).

Canned sound affect that has no bearing on what the physics are doing?

Canned sound affect that has no bearing on what the physics are doing?

looking at the numbers, the "height" definitely reaches zero when you hear the sound. Not sure if that's 0cm to the road surface or 0cm to the bump stop, but in some parts it's also a scrubbing sound, which only makes sense with zero actual ground clearance.

psylah

Anyone else use classic Gran Turismo setup for controls on PS4? X for gas, Square to brake, shifting on triggers?

I'm going to run into some trouble later, driving Formula A with no assists is going to be hard without analog face buttons like the old DualShocks.

I've tried re-adapting to triggers for gas/brake but I just can't do it.

Juicy Bob

I actually finally adapted to trigger controls thanks to PCARS.

I always used to use the right analogue stick for acceleration and braking after I developed a habit for it on Gran Turismo 3. Throughout the PS3/4 days I always used the split analogue stick when using a controller in racing games and I couldn't feel right with the triggers.

But buying PCARS as a G27 owner, I had to adapt to the controller again. I spent an hour when the game was installing getting used to the trigger controls and now I'm Comfortable with them. I think the DS4 must be better suited to it than its predecessors.

Still would prefer to have a working wheel, but I'm not that rich!

danowat

Banned
So, did anyone ever figure out some decent gamepad settings that allow for easier countersteer?

I posted some a number of pages back, but it'll never make countersteering "easier" per say, because the way the PCars physics and controller implementation works means you could never fix it, just make it more bearable, there are issues with it deep down in the code.

Juicy Bob

After months of effort and a lot of patience, I've finally managed to unlock the super secret eight-wheeled, two-seater '86 Lotus 98T!

MbSazX7.jpg

Qyve6KZ.jpg

8PuhuLN.jpg

7Ds4eB6.jpg

So, did anyone ever figure out some decent gamepad settings that allow for easier countersteer?

It's a car/tyre specific thing in pCARS. The modern, wide slicks are almost impossible to countersteer, but try a car like the Mercedes AMG 300 SEL 6.8 or even an Ariel Atom 500 and you see that it's not a problem in with the controls or the basic physics, it's with the tyre types/modeling.

Caught this picture in my peripheral vision and thought "oh wow, did someone mod a tyrrell... ooh... that's what this is.

fresquito

Yesterday we had a multiclass endurance race. We had been workibg on it for over a month. It was meant to celebrate our second aniversary at LFO Club. 15mins in and people started dropping like flies. You gotta love when patch 10.0 basically breaks the game. At this point I just wish they stoppoed supporting the game altogether. The more they patch, the more broken features there are. Weather was working fine at release, from 5.0 on it resets at the start of every session.

Good god, why did I decide to organise serious racing with this clusterfuck? Yeah, when it works, there's nothing like it, but sometimes you wonder wether it's enough reason.

I was playing Dirt Rally and that made me fancy a really decent race against some AI.

How is this game nowadays? Last time I played it was some months back .

Still a good overall experience?

Mascot

I was playing Dirt Rally and that made me fancy a really decent race against some AI.

Personally I think it's fucking awesome, despite its many flaws. There's no bigger racing thrill on console, that's for sure.

danowat

Banned

I think it's great, but there are a LOT of haters for this game, it's a real marmite game, but I don't think there is a racer on consoles currently that is anywhere near as good as PCars, that's not to say it doesn't have some teeth gnashing issues.

TJP

I think it's great, but there are a LOT of haters for this game, it's a real marmite game
In my experience some of the discontent comes from the way some of the investors shilled for 'their' game as the second coming, some of the discontent comes from the unresolved bugs and issues and some of the discontent comes from people who enjoy the PRC blog. There is a silent majority that enjoy pCARS for what it is, like me ;)

I don't think there is a racer on consoles currently that is anywhere near as good as PCars, that's not to say it doesn't have some teeth gnashing issues.
Indeed. It's largely the same for the PC racers - pCARS has features only matched by much older sims and rFactor 2. When pCARS comes together it's great fun and well worth the $ if you like racing sims.

Mascot

In my experience some of the discontent comes from the way some of the investors shilled for 'their' game as the second coming, some of the discontent comes from the unresolved bugs and issues and some of the discontent comes from people who enjoy the PRC blog. There is a silent majority that enjoy pCARS for what it is, like me ;)

Indeed. It's largely the same for the PC racers - pCARS has features only matched by much older sims and rFactor 2. When pCARS comes together it's great fun and well worth the $ if you like racing sims.

I think a lot of the hate is based on the state of the game at launch. People played it during launch week, decided it was evil, never played it again and have been hating on it at every opportunity since.

Their loss. The game has come a long way since then, and I reckon it's a fucking blast to play now.

fresquito

Nah, the game was hated long before it ever was released.

Simracing is full of insecure and very vocal people that will hate on anything that it is not their baby. Assetto Corsa fans really shine here. When I uploaded videos before release, the most common comment I'd get would be: Physics suck in this game, you can tell by the video. Assetto Corsa is so much better.

Instead of welcoming every new game as a way to expand their market and create some competition that will benefit them in the long run, they just try to sink every new ship. Project CARS being multiplatform, having so many promises, with such graphics, with so many peple wanting to try it out while access was already closed... everybody wanted it dead.

Sad part is SMS delivered on most fronts, except the one they needed to deliver more: Finishing their game.

Not a hater, but I couldn't find a scheme with the PS4 controller that felt in any way satisfying. I've come a long way in racing games since those Shift days, and that kind of thing just doesn't cut it for me now.

I was an early backer on PC, and I hoped it would be great, but it just hasn't clicked yet. And then I play Dirt Rally, and it feels like perfection, right from the get-go.

I don't know why SMS has such issues with controllers.

_machine

Instead of welcoming every new game as a way to expand their market and create some competition that will benefit them in the long run, they just try to sink every new ship. Project CARS being multiplatform, having so many promises, with such graphics, with so many peple wanting to try it out while access was already closed... everybody wanted it dead.
And that is very, very sad given that racing game segment has struggled a lot over the years. I actually remember at a developer's conference others saying that, aside from a couple of well-funded studios, seeking a career (at junior level) in the genre wouldn't be the wisest choice.

It also sucks that the launch was so far from smooth; I never experienced most of the issues (not even before the first release candidates) as I stuck to very single-player oriented gameplay, but especially the console versions seemed to really drag down the brand. Given how most large scope games and developers have gone through similar issues (and burned through a lot more budget) in retrospect it shouldn't come off as a surprise and maybe the vision should have been scoped down.

Momentary

Banned
If anyone else is on the PCARS2, I think it's a little ridiculous how many versions of this one car they have added. I guess it's to make up to the rabid fanbase who clamored for it from the beginning.

Top Bottom