• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

saladine1

If anyone else is on the PCARS2, I think it's a little ridiculous how many versions of this one car they have added. I guess it's to make up to the rabid fanbase who clamored for it from the beginning.

It's not that bad. Besides, I'm loving the Group 5 version.

GHG

If anyone else is on the PCARS2, I think it's a little ridiculous how many versions of this one car they have added. I guess it's to make up to the rabid fanbase who clamored for it from the beginning.

It is quite hilarious but I think everyone will be happy with it :) .

Mascot

If this thread is going to degenerate into pCARS 2 insiders speaking in cryptic code about secret awesome things then bollocks to the lot of you, unless of course someone PMs me the juice so that I can join in.

Patrick S.

Banned
"Many variants of one car that many people want", and there being mention of a group 5 variant, my guess is this means it's the RX7 or the Skyline.

Mascot

Interesting comments from Ian Bell regarding the release date of pCARS 2.

We're currently aiming for mid 17 but with pCARS2 it's a case of 'when it's done'. The SMS team have grown to over 130 people now which would indicate we could do it justice in two plus years, but... we keep on wanting to add more and more to pCARS2. We have some things in there that no one has thought of yet and we want to blow everyone away.

It's analogous to GTR. We did well with GTR1 but knocked it out of the park with GTR2. We needed less time then obviously as the game was much smaller but we're aiming for the same jump for pCARS.

The other big advantage we have this time is proper QA from a top line publisher all the way to release. There were too many bugs in pCARS1. We won't be repeating that thankfully.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46582-Pcars-2-When&p=1271811&viewfull=1#post1271811

danowat

Banned
The other big advantage we have this time is proper QA from a top line publisher all the way to release. There were too many bugs in pCARS1. We won't be repeating that thankfully.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember Mr Bell saying that we should have been greatful of the state PCars was released in, at least he now acknowledges what a shitshow it was at launch.

PCars is a cracking game, but the way the dev team act make my teeth itch.

fresquito

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember Mr Bell saying that we should have been greatful of the state PCars was released in, at least he now acknowledges what a shitshow it was at launch.

PCars is a cracking game, but the way the dev team act make my teeth itch.
PC1 is a indeed miracle. 2.5 people was the QA team, I will only say that.

They are teasing Livetrack 3.0. and I can see why they're doing it. It's really a breakthrough for racing simulation and one I'm really hyped to see in its final form. Everything I'm seeing at WMD and everything I'm playing in the builds is highly promising, but after PC1 I will keep my hopes down.

danowat

Banned
PC1 is a indeed miracle. 2.5 people was the QA team, I will only say that.

They are teasing Livetrack 3.0. and I can see why they're doing it. It's really a breakthrough for racing simulation and one I'm really hyped to see in its final form. Everything I'm seeing at WMD and everything I'm playing in the builds is highly promising, but after PC1 I will keep my hopes down.

If they can keep their ego's in check this time round it might make the product a bit of a sweeter experience.

fresquito

If they can keep their ego's in check this time round it might make the product a bit of a sweeter experience.
PC1's problems have nothing to do with egos and a lot to do with development shortcomings. You can like Ian Bell or not (I don't have much sympathy for him), but mixing his personality with how the staff works is not only unfair, but also wrong.

danowat

Banned
PC1's problems have nothing to do with egos and a lot to do with development shortcomings. You can like Ian Bell or not (I don't have much sympathy for him), but mixing his personality with how the staff works is not only unfair, but also wrong.

He was the mouthpiece for the whole company, like I said when I conversed with him at launch, if I had spoken to my customers like he had, I'd be out of a job, he treated his paying customers like shit, that's his and their problem, not mine.

fresquito

He was the mouthpiece for the whole company, like I said when I conversed with him at launch, if I had spoken to my customers like he had, I'd be out of a job, he treated his paying customers like shit, that's his and their problem, not mine.
And again, that has nothing to do with how the game works or doesn't work.

See Capcom: they are super cheerful and never say a bad thing about their customers, they always give them credit and all that super nice stuff. Turns out, two months in, SFV has still the same technical issues it had at launch. Guess what? Bugs are not fixed by being nice to your customers!

danowat

Banned
And again, that has nothing to do with how the game works or doesn't work.

See Capcom: they are super cheerful and never say a bad thing about their customers, they always give them credit and all that super nice stuff. Turns out, two months in, SFV has still the same technical issues it had at launch. Guess what? Bugs are not fixed by being nice to your customers!

My point is, he treated everyone with complete disdain at launch, he told everyone that his product was brilliant, and the problems people were having were their fault, there was no (at least not to my memory) acknowledgment of the issues, and people were quite rightly pissed off about it.

The fact that he now says the state of PCars wasn't acceptable at launch grates me, it's too late now, he should have acknowledged it a year ago.

Anyway, it's academic, Ian will be Ian, be interested to see how PCars 2 does in terms of sales vs PCars

GHG

Ian is Ian and you can't take him too seriously. What I will say however is that he's not representative of the rest of the dev team. There's a bunch of guys there who are very passionate about what they do, take the feedback to heart and really do care.

PCars 1 had its issues because the game was simply too ambitious for the size of the team and the resources available. The fact that they managed to get console versions out as well was somewhat of a minor miracle. They now have a solid foundation from PCars 1 to build on and from what I've experienced with PCars 2 it's shaping up nicely but there is still a long way to go of course.

danowat

Banned
Pagani Huayra BC, Pagani Zonda Revolucion & Nürburgring Nordschleife + Grand Prix Track now available on storefronts (£3.39 on PS4), also a £24.99 complete DLC package and the GOTY editions are up too, GOTY edition is £34.99, so not bad value if you don't already have it.

Mascot

Pagani Huayra BC, Pagani Zonda Revolucion & Nürburgring Nordschleife + Grand Prix Track now available on storefronts (£3.39 on PS4), also a £24.99 complete DLC package and the GOTY editions are up too, GOTY edition is £34.99, so not bad value if you don't already have it.

I'll probably buy it but would have preferred a brand-new track, TBH.
The Zonda excites me, though.

danowat

Banned
I'll be honest, since they started to lose traction on the improvements and monthly DLC, I've lost a bit of interest in the game, also, after playing DIRT Rally, and seeing how well they implemented gamepad controller, going back to PCars is really jarring in terms of how the game plays with a pad.

Bobnob

After getting my first wheel and getting used to it on Dirt Rally.

After trying it on PCARS a few times it felt really good but going back to PCARS after getting decent on DR feedback is'nt that impressive imho, then going back to the pad on pcars (to make a quick vid) my god, how did i ever manage before posting no 1s etc lol, i really noticed how bad the pad is.

And i'm sure i heard that this pagani and track expansion was free. I was wrong!

GHG

It's £3.19 on steam. Think I'll get it just for the Pagani to be honest.

xrnzaaas

It sucks that they didn't announce a season pass/on demand pack right away. I certainly won't be buying any single DLC's for pCARS2.

So looks like the season pass doesn't contain the Zonda/course either, so looking around £28.50 for total DLC, else £28 for the disc version, wonder if it comes with codes to redeem, that might be better to link with my digital version.

Hmmmm on an Amazon review

Excellent Game, Brilliant Price for all the Content Released for Project Cars. Unfortunately I have to return this edition back and proceed with Downloading the DLC Packs via the PSN Network as Sony have allocated the GOTY Edition with a Differenr Disc ID Therefore Save Data/DLC Will not Mix and Match. For anyone starting off from scratch I highly recommend this edition!

danowat

Banned
They never announced it. It was "discovered". They said they couldn't ensure the dates of the DLCs, so they wouldn't do a Season Pass when it was not certain they would fullfill it.

It was listed on the PS Blog as an upcoming release, so they must have mentioned it to Sony at least.

xrnzaaas

The DLC pricing is pretty good. I'd rather have played it over the last year than wait for the GOTY edition.

Well technically they weren't that expensive, but I feel like DC was getting way better DLC's for a similar price (also all new tracks were free). And with Driveclub you could've avoided overpaying (a lot) thanks to the SP.

They did, the season pass was all set to release but then got mysteriously pulled at the last minute.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/project-cars-season-pass-details-revealed/

It is very strange, because I don't think they have to be extremely specific on to what the Season Pass will offer. Maybe they weren't sure on how the game will sell and how much work will it require with the patches?

Mascot

Well technically they weren't that expensive, but I feel like DC was getting way better DLC's for a similar price (also all new tracks were free). And with Driveclub you could've avoided overpaying (a lot) thanks to the SP.

Yeah, Driveclub DLC was superb. In fact, the whole post-launch support has been stellar.

Yeah, Driveclub DLC was superb. In fact, the whole post-launch support has been stellar.

Yeah I really hope Sony aren't just going to leave it to rot now though. Having not heard their plans going forward, it's quite worrying considering how engaged Evolution were with the public, it's been radio silence from Sony since the shutting.

I've been wanting to pick this one up for a while, and with all the GTS news, I'm feeling that itch for a sim racer to hold me over until GTS comes out.

How is the console (PS4) version in relation to PC? If I have the rig to run it, is it a no brainer on PC?

GHG

I've been wanting to pick this one up for a while, and with all the GTS news, I'm feeling that itch for a sim racer to hold me over until GTS comes out.

How is the console (PS4) version in relation to PC? If I have the rig to run it, is it a no brainer on PC?

Get it on the PC if you have a capable rig. If you want to get a wheel at some point you'll have a lot more choice and some great mods are also in the pipeline.

Momentary

Banned
Today I played the Falcon V8 for the first time. I'm impressed. What fun car. It didn't hurt that I ran at Oulton Park.

It's one of my favorite cars man. I don't know why I disliked it so much. Now it's one of the best driving experiences in the game for me. I think it's the aesthetics that put me off so much.

I've been playing APEX and it just doesn't FEEL as good as this or Assetto. It runs smooth as hell, but the cars just don't seem as detailed and physics seem off. The damage models in PCARS is also damn near untouchable by anything else in the genre in my opinion. I like that damage.

Mascot

This game still amazes me at times. There's been a lot of chatter about Gran Turismo's lighting recently but you simply cannot fail to be impressed when running a dawn-to-dusk race at Bannochbrae with light cloud cover. When you emerge from the shadow of the mountain into post-dawn light, it's absolutely jaw-dropping.

fresquito

I'm the other way around. The graphics don't blow me away that much anymore. I've gotten used to the things that look superb and those that don't are more jarring each day (like night ). It doesn't help that I see the progress done in PC2.

What I enjoy more every day is the racing itself. I'm slowly growing the driver in me and that means getting to understand and feel the cars better. I'm impressed with how thrilling races are in this game.

Mascot

I'm the other way around. The graphics don't blow me away that much anymore. I've gotten used to the things that look superb and those that don't are more jarring each day (like night ). It doesn't help that I see the progress done in PC2.

What I enjoy more every day is the racing itself. I'm slowly growing the driver in me and that means getting to understand and feel the cars better. I'm impressed with how thrilling races are in this game.

Absolutely. It's something SMS have always excelled at. Even Shift and Shift 2 on last-gen consoles, despite their many shortcomings, delivered adrenaline-fuelled races in spades. GT5/6 and FM 3/4 felt incredibly dull by comparison.

Good to hear that pCARS 2 is making pCARS 1 look poor by comparison. I wish SMS would tease some bits and pieces every now and again to keep people's interest. I often think they believe that their customer base starts and ends with WMD.

Top Bottom