• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Momentary

Banned
Absolutely. It's something SMS have always excelled at. Even Shift and Shift 2 on last-gen consoles, despite their many shortcomings, delivered adrenaline-fuelled races in spades. GT5/6 and FM 3/4 felt incredibly dull by comparison.

Good to hear that pCARS 2 is making pCARS 1 look poor by comparison. I wish SMS would tease some bits and pieces every now and again to keep people's interest. I often think they believe that their customer base starts and ends with WMD.

The game is still super rough and I understand why they don't have people post youtube videos. I find it hard to belive that this game will release in 2017. Production of the game has ramped up since PCARS content has slowed down. The amount of tracks so far right now is a little on the ridiculous side with how many there are.

I feel like the FIA should have teamed up with PCARS2. I think some car companies are taking notice though. There was another recent addition to manufacturers a few days ago that should have people squealing. Hopefully they keep them coming.

danowat

Banned
Any love for Lada this time round?

2016-FIA-World-Touring-Car-Championship-LADA-Sport.jpg

fresquito

After Broadcasting a couple Championship, I'm again behind the wheel for our Britsih Rookie Cup. Had a blast in this race. Really happy with my performance, although in the last part I lost my concentration a bit because I was out of any fight anymore. Fun fact, I had to start so behind because in Qualy my tyres would not warm over 70º and I couldn't do better. I hope you enjoy my race :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OH9mMsvws

Zaru

I'm the other way around. The graphics don't blow me away that much anymore.

I'm honestly confused, just started the game after quite a while to finally use a decent controller (my wheel is bugging out), and I suddenly get higher FPS and the game looks worse, but the graphics settings are on max for everything where that should matter.

fresquito

I'm honestly confused, just started the game after quite a while to finally use a decent controller (my wheel is bugging out), and I suddenly get higher FPS and the game looks worse, but the graphics settings are on max for everything where that should matter.
You should delete your graphics.xml, in documents folder. That was recommended in the latest patch.

Other than that, I don't know. Maybe high expectation wearing off?

Fox Mulder

Haven't played this since it came out, but just reinstalled it. Got a TX to play with now since the controller sucks with this.

After the GT Sport trainwreck, I got all nostalgic and bought pCARS again. Man, I sure as hell hope SMS cut the crap out and deliver a different game with pCARS 2 (meaning a solid one).

Mascot

After the GT Sport trainwreck, I got all nostalgic and bought pCARS again. Man, I sure as hell hope SMS cut the crap out and deliver a game different with pCARS 2 (meaning a solid one).
Insiders are hinting at great things ahead over on the official forums. Many seem very impressed with what they've seen so far.

Insiders are hinting at great things ahead over on the official forums. Many seem very impressed with what they've seen so far.

Welp, wasn't that the case with the first one too? Off course, the insiders were finantially invested on it being successful back them, but still. And I don't mean to tease anyone here by saying this.

pCARS have a lot of great momments encircled by not so great ones, made by bugs and problems that I couldn't put up with after some patches (the ones that supposedly would mend things but in the end only brought new problems).

All I want from them is the same focus applied on pCARS - a motorsport simulator - only with less nonsense.

And FFS, no more land mines SMS, seriously.

fresquito

I chuckle everytime I see someone relating the positive feedback from PC1 and the revenue. In the end, no other game ever has had positive feedback despite its flaws. We all at WMD are sold. Sounds about right.

Or maybe, you know, some of us were positive because PC1 was looking fantastic. And maybe we didn't anticipate that it would be released unfinished, or that some bugs would never be fixed. Maybe some of us felt even more hurt than you because we put our trust and money in them and they didn't deliver in many fronts. And maybe, just maybe, despite its flaws, some of us have clocked over 1000h in the game, most of them ranging from good to superb.

Finally, some of us are very positive about PC2 because what we have seen is very promising and the progress we are seeing in areas that were lacking in the first game seems to be pretty solid, like they have aknowledged where the problems lie and are commited to fix them. But we don't know how things will end. What we do know is that it will be better than PC1 and that is enough to remain positive about how good it will be.

Will it blow my mind, have everything I want it to have, fix every problem I want to see fixed? Probably not. Now, tell me a better race sim to make my own leagues and events and we can start talking.

danowat

Banned
I chuckle everytime I see someone relating the positive feedback from PC1 and the revenue. In the end, no other game ever has had positive feedback despite its flaws. We all at WMD are sold. Sounds about right.

Or maybe, you know, some of us were positive because PC1 was looking fantastic. And maybe we didn't anticipate that it would be released unfinished, or that some bugs would never be fixed. Maybe some of us felt even more hurt than you because we put our trust and money in them and they didn't deliver in many fronts. And maybe, just maybe, despite its flaws, some of us have clocked over 1000h in the game, most of them ranging from good to superb.

Finally, some of us are very positive about PC2 because what we have seen is very promising and the progress we are seeing in areas that were lacking in the first game seems to be pretty solid, like they have aknowledged were the problems lie and are commited to fix them. But we don't know how things will end. What we do know is that it will be better than PC1 and that is enough to remain positive about how good it will be.

Will it blow my mind, have everything I want it to have, fix every problem I want to see fixed? Probably not. Now, tell me a better race sim to make my own leagues and events and we can start talking.

Have they done anything to the controller implementation in PCars2?

fresquito

Have they done anything to the controller implementation in PCars2?
Yes, they are implementing some stuff.

I can't go deeper, not only because it's private, but because I'm not following that topic. I have never played with a controller in PC1 and I won't do it in PC2 either. I could not care less about how good the controls are on a controller, to be honest. Luckily for you, SMS and some folks at WMD seem to care more than me :-D

danowat

Banned
Yes, they are implementing some stuff.

I can't go deeper, not only because it's private, but because I'm not following that topic. I have never played with a controller in PC1 and I won't do it in PC2 either. I could not care less about how good the controls are on a controller, to be honest. Luckily for you, SMS and some folks at WMD seem to care more than me :-D

Regardless of the fact that you don't care about it, if it's on consoles, then it's a must and they should care about it, because there were a heck of a lot of people who were completely turned off the game because of it.

I just hope they get some people onboard to test the controllers on consoles out who know what they are talking about before release this time round.

Mascot

Regardless of the fact that you don't care about it, if it's on consoles, then it's a must and they should care about it, because there were a heck of a lot of people who were completely turned off the game because of it.

I don't think SMS realise just how much damage this did to their user base.

I just hope they get some people onboard to test the controllers on consoles out who know what they are talking about before release this time round.

Yeah, they need to reverse engineer Forza's feel with a pad, it's as simple as that. Shift and Shift 2 were also terrible with a joypad so there's definitely an endemic problem in this department..

danowat

Banned

I'd like to think they do now, unless it was just lip service, Ian replied to one of my posts about it and he said it was something they were going to sort out.

In an ideal world we'd all have PC's or steering wheels set up in the lounge, but, you know.

fresquito

You are probably right.That's something PC2 needs to do to be successful, but it's not something I need to have to enjoy the game. I mean, I want the game to be successful and all that, I don't have a reason not to, but I'm not in WMD to make the most successful game, but to invoice what I want from the game. And believe me, if I was given the chance to vote whether to sack all career and controller support to have the best MP ever seen in a sim, I would vote for the latter, no regrets.

Of course SMS are smarter than that and would never give me the chance to decide such a thing lol:

Mascot

I'd like to think they do now, unless it was just lip service, Ian replied to one of my posts about it and he said it was something they were going to sort out.

In an ideal world we'd all have PC's or steering wheels set up in the lounge, but, you know.

In an ideal world all wheels would be supported on all formats.

Maybe next century.

danowat

Banned
Recently there was an ad on my Facebook for the GOTY edition of PCars, and 95% of the responses to that advert were basically, don't buy it, it's unplayable with a control pad.

If they are serious about selling 2 to console players then they need to make big strides, because a lot of people were burnt last time round, and would probably (rightly so) be very wary of buying a follow up.

fresquito

Don't need to convince me, I'm not the guy deciding. Your argument is 100% solid. Just don't infere that because I don't care about it, the game will not have it.

WMD is quite the place. There're lots of discussions going on, many, if not most of them, very interesting. But I'm not reading all of them, or even most of them, really. I'm following the topics I'm most interested in and taking an active part in those where I want to see improvements and I think I can provide good feedback. I also follow the dev notes (most of them, anyway), that's why I have a general idea of what's going on, but I don't know all the details.

Livetrack3.0, physics improvements, UI, lightning and weather, MP? Now we are talking :-D

Finally, some of us are very positive about PC2 because what we have seen is very promising and the progress we are seeing in areas that were lacking in the first game seems to be pretty solid, like they have aknowledged where the problems lie and are commited to fix them. But we don't know how things will end. What we do know is that it will be better than PC1 and that is enough to remain positive about how good it will be.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I wasn't talking about the positive feedback of pCARS. I was talking about the hype train created by WMD members all along. And I don't even think it was something false - most of you guys have trully believed in all possibilities brought by the game, but you simply can't deny that the game was released in a bad shape and the overall support of it failed to fix a lot of things.

And when all these things happened, and pCARS became a "finished" product, not a dream anymore, it's only normal that players that were catch by the hype started to think about things. Chuclkle all you want, but the damage is real.

fresquito

The damage is real for everybody though. I started creating a community for the game one year before it was released. We organise serious racing and have very competent people among us. You can not imagine all the struggles we have gone through because the state of the game, from having to create pages of rules to subsystems to code for our website to compensate for everything the game lacks to seeing lots of people not ever come again because of bugs. You don't need to tell me how hard it has been. I don't think anybody around here has had to face and find workarounds for this game as much as me. Think about that next time you talk about revenue conditioning us, you might find yourself chuckling along me.

The damage is real for everybody though. I started creating a community for the game one year before it was released. We organise serious racing and have very competent people among us. You can not imagine all the struggles we have gone through because the state of the game, from having to create pages of rules to subsystems to code for our website to compensate for everything the game lacks to seeing lots of people not ever come again because of bugs. You don't need to tell me how hard it has been. I don't think anybody around here has had to face and find workarounds for this game as much as me. Think about that next time you talk about revenue conditioning us, you might find yourself chuckling along me.

At least, you managed to have a community. My people raced exaustively on GT5/6 and when pCARS came, everybody jumped rigth in only to give up in a matter of few weeks =/.

I endured it for more time because I'm more motorsport enthusiast than my friends, and I care much more about single than multiplayer in racing games. In the end, I really enjoyed multiclass racing in pCARS, the feeling of go serious about racing that this game provides is second to none, is trully something else, but after some nasty experiences with Ian Bell, pCARS forums and patches that bugged things even more, I dropped out.

At least, its cheap to buy it these days.

Fox Mulder

I'll believe it when I see it. Theyve had controller issues across multiple games from NFS Shift to the Test Drive Ferrari game and then Pcars.

danowat

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. Theyve had controller issues across multiple games from NFS Shift to the Test Drive Ferrari game and then Pcars.

It's not like no other racing games have managed, they really shouldn't have a problem doing it, will be interesting to see how AC handles with a pad on consoles.

GHG

It's not like no other racing games have managed, they really shouldn't have a problem doing it, will be interesting to see how AC handles with a pad on consoles.

Other racing games have managed because they use systems that's are heavily filtered and assisted.

Hint: Forza's "simulation" steering setting still has filters and assists in place.

Mascot

Other racing games have managed because they use systems that's are heavily filtered and assisted.

Hint: Forza's "simulation" steering setting still has filters and assists in place.

If that's the answer then SMS need to adopt it, sim or no sim.

Putty

Guys, how's PS4 performance and general "coolness" of this now. Thinking of picking the GOTY edition up. I sold my original PCars nearly a year ago but get a real itch to play another racer again...I sold this too soon i do realise 8).

disap.ed

Yeah, they need to reverse engineer Forza's feel with a pad, it's as simple as that. Shift and Shift 2 were also terrible with a joypad so there's definitely an endemic problem in this department..

AC also feels much better with a pad than PC, too bad the UI isn't usable with it.

danowat

Banned
Guys, how's PS4 performance and general "coolness" of this now. Thinking of picking the GOTY edition up. I sold my original PCars nearly a year ago but get a real itch to play another racer again...I sold this too soon i do realise 8).
I think it's really good on the PS4, performance is fine unless you try and run 40 cars in storm conditions.

The only sticking point is if you use a pad, but it's not an issue if you use a wheel.

Putty

I think it's really good on the PS4, performance is fine unless you try and run 40 cars in storm conditions.

The only sticking point is if you use a pad, but it's not an issue if you use a wheel.

I was on pad previously and was fine for me.

Mascot

I'd like unbiased opinions on this first-lap incident in a Formula C league race at Imola last night please chaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPTU3LPSHcY

The car I was following went wide at Acque Minerali and left the door well and truly open for a pass. As I saw it, I hit the apex and had the better run up the hill, and even went deliberately wide (with two wheels in the drainage ditch) to give plenty of room. The other car cut the corner which put him on a trajectory towards me, then seemed to steer into me as I was passing while edging my two RHS tyres out of the drainage ditch. It looks like he was trying to make up for losing pace (when running wide/cutting the corner) by crowding me out, even though I was ahead. I thought I did all I could to pass legally and cleanly on the racing line. It was slightly annoying then to get punted into orbit and watch the whole field stream past, especially when I'd gone from grid 11th of 12 all the way up to 3rd before the end of the first lap. I recovered to finally finish 6th but can't help feeling I was robbed of a potential podium.

Thoughts?

danowat

Banned
Any chance of a view from the other cars perspective?

Initial thought is, he caused a accident that didn't need to happen, lack of spatial awareness from the other driver, not ever sure it warrants a stewards inquiry as it's so blatant.

There was no malice or intent but that doesn't excuse it.

IMO of course.

Mascot

Any chance of a view from the other cars perspective?

Initial thought is, he caused a accident that didn't need to happen, lack of spatial awareness from the other driver, not ever sure it warrants a stewards inquiry as it's so blatant.

There was no malice or intent but that doesn't excuse it.

IMO of course.

I'll grab a view from the other driver's perspective later on tonight. Nobody has admitted it was them yet, and the replays with swapped liveries etc don't help.! I should at least be able to get his grid position.

The race director put it down to a no-fault 'racing incident', but if it was who I *think* it was then they finished ahead of me. Bah!

Lol. League racing is some serious shit, yo.

danowat

Banned
I dunno, if you'd have steered into him as well through lack of awareness it would have been a no fault incident, but as it was purely his lack of awareness that caused you to crash then it's his fault.

And yeah, I used to run a league for Live For Speed many years ago, it IS a serious business yo!

down 2 orth

I've got some constructive criticism to post here, just in case some of the developers are checking out the thread.

Essentially I just want to say that making a technical and complex game doesn't need to be done at a detriment to players who are uninitiated in driving simulation or not experienced enough to initially make use of the game's complex features. I know this is a hardcore simulation, but alienating all but the most dedicated players will ultimately hurt sales, and it's entirely unnecessary.

Just to make it clear, I don't think this game should be dumbed down. But I do think that the in-game options should be better organized and planned out. For example, when players are asked initially if they want to play the game in Novice, Beginner, or Advanced modes, they should have the ability to change between those modes if the one they chose is not working for them. I found myself in that situation, and spent a lot of time looking around in the menus trying to figure out how to change back. I even uninstalled the game, and then reinstalled it, but I was still unable to change my initial choice. I also know that the options affected by choosing one of those three modes can be changed in other menus, but I figured that out after a bit of googling. If your average gamer could just switch modes whenever they want, it would make it easier for them to learn the ropes, and without restricting the experience of the hardcore gamer.

Also, the career setup is a nightmare. After I tried one mode, I wanted to try another, but I was restricted to the one I initially chose. I'm not sure if I had to delete my current career and then set up another, or if there are options to go around this. If there were, I couldn't find them, so once again, there's something that will alienate some initial players.

And there's really nothing to ease casual players into this game. A lot of the basic options seemed to be intertwined with more advanced options. All of those options should be included considering what this game is, but they should be organized and presented better.

I wish the best of luck to the players and devs of this game, and I think that there's a lot of potential for this series. I hope some of these problems can be overcome as well, especially since more widespread adaptation should result in a series with further entries.

Mascot

I've got some constructive criticism to post here, just in case some of the developers are checking out the thread.

Essentially I just want to say that making a technical and complex game doesn't need to be done at a detriment to players who are uninitiated in driving simulation or not experienced enough to initially make use of the game's complex features. I know this is a hardcore simulation, but alienating all but the most dedicated players will ultimately hurt sales, and it's entirely unnecessary.

Just to make it clear, I don't think this game should be dumbed down. But I do think that the in-game options should be better organized and planned out. For example, when players are asked initially if they want to play the game in Novice, Beginner, or Advanced modes, they should have the ability to change between those modes if the one they chose is not working for them. I found myself in that situation, and spent a lot of time looking around in the menus trying to figure out how to change back. I even uninstalled the game, and then reinstalled it, but I was still unable to change my initial choice. I also know that the options affected by choosing one of those three modes can be changed in other menus, but I figured that out after a bit of googling. If your average gamer could just switch modes whenever they want, it would make it easier for them to learn the ropes, and without restricting the experience of the hardcore gamer.

Also, the career setup is a nightmare. After I tried one mode, I wanted to try another, but I was restricted to the one I initially chose. I'm not sure if I had to delete my current career and then set up another, or if there are options to go around this. If there were, I couldn't find them, so once again, there's something that will alienate some initial players.

And there's really nothing to ease casual players into this game. A lot of the basic options seemed to be intertwined with more advanced options. All of those options should be included considering what this game is, but they should be organized and presented better.

I wish the best of luck to the players and devs of this game, and I think that there's a lot of potential for this series. I hope some of these problems can be overcome as well, especially since more widespread adaptation should result in a series with further entries.

I think the whole UI and general 'user-friendliness' will be getting a complete overhaul for pCARS 2. I bloody hope so, anyway.

Top Bottom