• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

saladine1

What the... I don't even... how the f... where did...

Jesus H.

I agree lol.

This guy is fucking talented.

Anyway, Zakspeed Capri at Sakitto with volume set to 1000 equals phenomenal.

The straight 4 turbo makes such a dirty sound coupled with the constant heel toe throttle blips just sends chills down my spine.

Pcars just keeps on giving.

benzy

I think they've done some serious under the hood improvements on the PS4 version! IQ is stellar. setting the Temp AA to 0 allows the motion blur to shine. AF improvements are clear as day on billboards/signs. I dont think the AF on floor has changed. Remember SMS said they have 2 different AF settings for ground and the rest. FPS seems to be pretty much flawless! Had 4 supercart races and can honestly say i've not noticed a single drop....no tearing. Interesting to see what its like with a full grid of "normal" cars!

Does playing with the pad feel a lot better now on ps4?

Putty

Does playing with the pad feel a lot better now on ps4?

I never had a problem with the pad as i'd applied Danowats setting from weeks ago. i'd not played in 3 weeks before yesterdays patch so i'm not really in a position to comment, though it doesnt feel any different to what i remember 8) #nocommentsocomments

danowat

Banned
I never had a problem with the pad as i'd applied Danowats setting from weeks ago. i'd not played in 3 weeks before yesterdays patch so i'm not really in a position to comment, though it doesnt feel any different to what i remember 8) #nocommentsocomments

It's no different, but I never had a problem with it in the first instance

Putty

It's no different, but I never had a problem with it in the first instance

8)

As patches is up there with the very best. Lord knows what shape the game was in last November for its initial release date!

The handling model is just sublime. The sense of control you feel is nuts! You just....FEEL the car, the traction, the grip.....You feel when your on a gangbusters lap......just fabulous! Love to see an updated DF or NX with the latest patch analysis......

danowat

Banned
I should probably have qualified my statement with "once I'd spent a few hours getting the controller settings dialled in"!!!

Out of the box, the controller settings are pretty pants.

Putty

Sounds good.

Since they fixed the ghosting as well I'll probably end up getting it soon.

It's a big improvement mate. At 0 you can now clearly see the nice motion blur.....Its not as aggressive as other games but its still noticable.

Putty

I should probably have qualified my statement with "once I'd spent a few hours getting the controller settings dialled in"!!!

Out of the box, the controller settings are pretty pants.

Yep, and they are your settings 8) So i have you to thank for me being OUTSTANDING at the game on pad!!!!

virtualS

Running 1.4 on PC and have noticed frame rate improvements... crossfire r9 290s. I didn't see any mention of PC optimisation in the patch notes so am pretty surprised. Have been running the latest AMD driver before and after the patch.

This is a really great game.

Mascot

Every other livery is still skipped when selecting them with the GT2 dpad.

Randomly lost FFB three times yesterday too.

More work is needed with Fanatec integration, methinks. Hopefully SMS aren't going to leave it as is.

thelastword

Banned
Very happy to hear impressions of the performance improvements and even further IQ improvements on the PS4. It looks like every body is happy now, especially those bothered by the slight ghosting. I will certainly get this now, but I'll still like to see NX weigh in on this, he did point quite a few areas and inefficiencies where SMS could increase performance, and it seems that's exactly what they've done. Kudos to SMS.

Is anybody using the T80? How is it?
I'm sure it'll be as good as that kind of wheel can be - 200 degree rotation and no FFB means you're going to get a very similar experience in any game you use with it. I've set my wheel to 200 and run with just a centre spring to simulate how that feels - it's usable, and more fun than a gamepad, but not by much.

xrnzaaas

Scratch my last comment on the McLaren F1... it IS very hard to control even with traction control turned on. I barely got a podium with it in that Brands Hatch invitational event (1st and 2nd were BAC's). RUF CTR 3 on the other hand is very enjoyable, not a pain in the ass like in Driveclub. I'm having a lot of fun with it driving on the edge of losing grip. :)

LilJoka

Totally lost FFB in a solo race just now.

Exactly the same thing used to happen a lot in...

...Shift 2 Unleashed on the 360.

Please God. Not copy/pasting of code, bugs 'n' all.

Please let it be an aberration.

Those invisible wall bugs, also present in Shift 2, and the glitch where the car goes flying into the sky..
I said it before, some of these issues are deep down in the code, i dont see them getting fixed.

nib95

Banned
Have the default PS4 pad settings been fixed now? I'm thinking I should do away with my previous settings and start over?

brentech

New patch has successfully made AI drivers more erratic in the rain.

ActiveReliableEquestrian.gif

But It's all fun and games until the AI comes back out of the grass and nukes your ride.

ExemplaryAbsoluteGalapagospenguin.gif

Obviously clips from two separate races.
Small video of the accident showing the full scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39SAmHsC1bE

I think it's finally time for me to get this now. For people who are sensitive to screen-tearing and framerate drops - how much better are these things following the latest patch?

Putty

I think it's finally time for me to get this now. For people who are sensitive to screen-tearing and framerate drops - how much better are these things following the latest patch?

Not seen any drops or tearing...Im currentl;y doing superkarts...had 8 races so far. 12 strong field....

MJLord

Nice, thanks.

Also, I've heard the controls are bad with a pad. Has that been addressed on PS4, or is it perfectly playable with a few menu tweaks?

It's always been playable with a pad but it does require tweaking. (I don't know if the PC has the same controller options as the PS4)

It's always been playable with a pad but it does require tweaking. (I don't know if the PC has the same controller options as the PS4)

Thought so. Thanks.

Gamersyde just posted some new videos on PS4 with a fps counter. There's no comparison, but the fps in this Brands rain video is near perfect 60fps (one dip to 59 in the entire 2 minutes) so I guess the fps has improved quite well too. Anyone feeling any improvements in the performance on PS4 so far?

XBO patch is still with MS (not entirely surprising since they seemed to have a slightly longer cert this gen), but hopefully it'll come out soon and the performance improvements are worth the wait.

Wow, impressive performance. I expected much larger drips in the rain.

Ok, yeah, I think it's time to buy this now.

Putty

Thought so. Thanks.

Wow, impressive performance. I expected much larger drips in the rain.

Ok, yeah, I think it's time to buy this now.

Currently doing a Caterham event and its started raing, getting dropped frames and tearing.....I'm battling for 1st with 2 others ...so cant comment when there's more cars in front.

Sickbean

Ho....lee....shite...

The Lotus 98T is hard enough to keep on the track when you've got the track to yourself, but when you've got a full grid, man it's hard work.

Made some silly mistakes, could have finished higher, but I was happy not to come last!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BIePwvXj2s

Yeah the torque from that turbo is pretty brutal. I love all the old insane cars. Racing drivers must have been made from steel in those days.

Hi. I have to say the patch has really improved things for me on the PS4. It does still tear when you are in the rain with other cars around kicking up water spray, but it much improved, and not nearly as noticeable as it was before. And being able to set the TXAA to around 10 (which I found to be best on my t.v. - Plasma) allows me to play without becoming dizzy. :) I would recommend it if you like these types of games. The graphics, sound, and driving feel really are top notch.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
At the end of my second season last night, having started in Tier 8 with the 150cc karts. I ended season 2 with a championship win on the superkarts and got invites from driving a LMP2 to Formula Rookie, but ended up taking a GT3 contract for season 3. I'm so excited!

One cool thing, the last event of my 2nd season was an invite from a team to drive their LMP2 car for the 24 hours of Le Mans. I couldn't set my own time limit, but the game picked 2 hours of simulated real time, and it was some of the most fun I've had in a racing game ever.

I finished on the podium, 2nd place, my best lap being 4:00:023 driving the Marek RP 219D LMP2 car. I had so many crazy things happen, from damaging my front causing the car to pull to the right, limping around to the pits, to almost running out of gas, coasting into the pits on fumes.

Amazing game.

Hi. I have to say the patch has really improved things for me on the PS4. It does still tear when you are in the rain with other cars around kicking up water spray, but it much improved, and not nearly as noticeable as it was before. And being able to set the TXAA to around 10 (which I found to be best on my t.v. - Plasma) allows me to play without becoming dizzy. :) I would recommend it if you like these types of games. The graphics, sound, and driving feel really are top notch.

Thanks for the impressions. I just bought if from Amazon. Looking forward to finally playing it.

hesido

It's not the best comparison but look at the sign on the left.

patch 1.3

patch 1.4 - 20 TAA (now is the default value)

patch 1.4 - no TAA

That's awesome!

The default one is much more acceptable compared to what was there at the initial launch, and notice they added proper motion blur this time around! It adds to the sense of speed, much better than a ghosted frame could.

If my constant bitching helped even 1% of this option being added, I'm glad.

Metfanant

That's awesome!

The default one is much more acceptable compared to what was there at the initial launch, and notice they added proper motion blur this time around! It adds to the sense of speed, much better than a ghosted frame could.

If my constant bitching helped even 1% of this option being added, I'm glad.

They told us from the get go that motion blur and TAA had an inverse relationship...

hesido

They told us from the get go that motion blur and TAA had an inverse relationship...

Yeah, I do know the story. But from the get go, I even had problems convincing people that it was ghosting and not motion blur, and that even included SMSRenderTeam. Anyway, I'm glad we are past this. (And TAA is being really kind way of naming their technique. A proper implementation of TAA should have no inverse relation with motion blur)

So guys/gals, I just had a very strange, and veeeeerry frustrating, bug.

On the Dubai Autodrome in career mode, I do a mandatory pit (which i never specify anything for, and didn't this time). When I come back to the track, all my tires are flat. Tried to pit again, same thing. Tried the race again, same thing. Needless to say, it's impossible to win the race like that - which I was in first on both times.

This happened to anybody? Am I fucking something up in the pit?

ZalXII

Any chance to reduce bloom on signs at night with Headlights on? Tried Bloom option and Exposure Compensation but neither does anything. It's just bright, not readable:

234630_2015-06-14_0005xq6y.jpg

OrangeOak

I suck or is this game really hard on 90-100 AI? I know that it supposed to be hard on AI that high but sometimes it's impossible to win.
I always thought that I am decent at racing games but now I am sad because maybe I am just that bad :(

WoolyNinja

They completely fixed the Super Karts for me. I've been sticking with default PS4 controller settings and the Super Karts were so difficult to control. With this patch they handle as I'd expect. I was able to beat the first championship and am now driving some old timey car around. Also the graphics are so much cleaner now!

Great patch!

Gestault

Yeah, I do know the story. But from the get go, I even had problems convincing people that it was ghosting and not motion blur, and that even included SMSRenderTeam. Anyway, I'm glad we are past this. (And TAA is being really kind way of naming their technique. A proper implementation of TAA should have no inverse relation with motion blur)

The SMSRenderTeam account seemed to deliberately conflate things in a weird way. Like, someone would post images showing shot-for-shot how an effect was behaving a certain way, and SMS would give what amounted to a lie-of-omission technical answer to suggest that it wasn't the case, when the example was manifestly there. And now after-the-fact, we see it among the attempted improvements in patching.

Have the default PS4 pad settings been fixed now? I'm thinking I should do away with my previous settings and start over?

I'm gonna start from scratch when I get back into town this week. If nothing else, it'll be a "control" example for the new changes compared to launch settings.

So guys/gals, I just had a very strange, and veeeeerry frustrating, bug.

On the Dubai Autodrome in career mode, I do a mandatory pit (which i never specify anything for, and didn't this time). When I come back to the track, all my tires are flat. Tried to pit again, same thing. Tried the race again, same thing. Needless to say, it's impossible to win the race like that - which I was in first on both times.

This happened to anybody? Am I fucking something up in the pit?

Hey. I had the same thing happen twice last night too. I was in career mode (GT3 ) on the Brno track. Tried to accelerate and turn and it was like I was in mollases. Switched to exterior view and moved the camera around and yep, all four tires were fully flat.

Metfanant

so.......THIS happened today...please excuse the racing line. First time I had driven Monza in this game...

But let me set the stage...2nd lap of qualifying...first lap there was a pretty good amount of rain, and as im nearing the end of the lap i got a warning about a slow car...and there was a car wrecked in the last chicane before the front straight...WELL...when i came back around for lap 2...ill let the video do the talking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuphPDiffCg&feature=youtu.be

oh, i know you were one of the loudest voices in that discussion (if not THE loudest) so if you had a part to play in getting us the slider then i would like to say thank you, because its an awesome little option!...i would say in defense of SMSRenderTeam..he didnt work on the PS4 version, so its likely he was just as confused as the rest of us at the very beginning...

OrangeOak

so.......THIS happened today...please excuse the racing line. First time I had driven Monza in this game...

But let me set the stage...2nd lap of qualifying...first lap there was a pretty good amount of rain, and as im nearing the end of the lap i got a warning about a slow car...and there was a car wrecked in the last chicane before the front straight...WELL...when i came back around for lap 2...ill let the video do the talking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuphPDiffCg&feature=youtu.be

There are always some cars standing after that chicane when I play.
I hope they will fix it.

Metfanant

There are always some cars standing after that chicane when I play.
I hope they will fix it.

Hoping they fix it too...I mean, having the ENTIRE 30 car grid stacked up there seemingly unable to navigate their way through is pretty bad...

Like I said, first time I've been on Monza in pCARS so when I saw the initial car sideways in the chicane on lap 1 I thought to myself "cool! Kinda realistic, he wiped out in the rain and the game warned me" then as I come around on lap 2...get the slow car warning and I'm thinking "crap, either that car is totally disabled or stuck on the wall." Then I see ~25 sets of brake lights ahead of me and I'm like "SHIT! BRAKES!"

Top Bottom