• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

kie25

I disagree, I think they are too lenient. The amount you can cut and push wide in some areas without a penalty is ridiculous - has made me drive the hotlap challenges in an unrealistic way that I don't really enjoy. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1NdigTAVo - the lap should've been invalid at 1:16, 1:17, 1:36, 1:41, 1:44 and arguably a couple of other places too.

Yes I have to agree take the Bugatti track as a example people are missing out and cutting corners for fun. In a race situation running slightly wide and getting your time invalidated ain't going to harm you, in qualifying the pole lap should always be as clean as possible. There are a few tracks that it is slightly strict on certain bends as I've had 3 wheels on tracks 1 touching grass and got invalidated lap, but I'd rather it was much stricter overaul, another bad example is monza people can basically miss out 2nd chicane, hockenheim people cut 1st bend then run wide so they don't brake, so many examples can be found where it is far from strict.

fozzy

May have been mentioned, but I've been using some of the Xbox One controller settings recommended a few days after launch.

Have these changed since then? I seem to be doing alright with the ai at 70.

xrnzaaas

Game continues to troll me.

Round 2 of the Classic Lotus F1 cup, Lotus 98T at Zolder, get to the front of the pack, leading by a second, all going well, I am going to win this I think.

The game has other ideas, 5th lap of 7th, starts spitting, Ok I think, last couple of laps, I'll tough it out, game sees this and thinks, F U mate, heavens open and the car turns into Bambi on a frozen lake.

Last lap, Turn 2, slide off and touch the barrier, front wheel comes off, and the field sail past...........

Yep, it's an annoying race. First I've tried starting on the intermediates but I almost immediately lost the lead since the AI was driving at the same pace as on slicks. Then I tried starting on slicks, but when it started to rain heavily the car became uncontrollable and I crashed it.

Sickbean

Yep, it's an annoying race. First I've tried starting on the intermediates but I almost immediately lost the lead since the AI was driving at the same pace as on slicks. Then I tried starting on slicks, but when it started to rain heavily the car became uncontrollable and I crashed it.

Is this post patch 1.4? I thought they had fixed the AI being able to drive on slicks in the rain??

xrnzaaas

It's not about choosing different tyres, because the AI is faster on the same tyre compound when it starts raining (or on intermediates/wets when it's still dry). As for the AI difficulty, some people here say that they see the difference, I personally don't, but I admit I didn't finish too many wet races after installing the latest patch.

Dilly

Banned
They seem to have added some sort of camera burn-in effect? How do I turn it off, I don't want any smudges on my screen when racing!

_machine

Anyone had time to test how the new track cutting rules work?

They did mention that it's not perfect for all tracks yet, but I'm hopeful that it'll at least make the hotlap challenges feel a bit less like cheating. They were also going to remove most of the leading times that have illegal cutting from the leaderboards so at least our times aren't being necessarily removed (not that I do have any good times there).

ZalXII

Ready for the perfect spin?
ezgif.com-optimizew4uvr.gif

Sickbean

Didn't read the GT3 rules and though I could refuel during the race. :(

Yeah I made this mistake too. Led to an epic race at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. Built up a 5 second lead over P2 by lap 10 of 22. Did a quick call and realised I didn't have enough fuel.

Spent the next 12 laps short shifting and coasting the last 100m of the start finish straight. Managed to get my fuel consumption down from 2.1L/lap to 1.8L/lap and still finished first by 0.5 secs. This game man.

ISOM

Does the xbox 360 controller for the pc work great with this game or do I have to adjust sensitivity if I buy it?

Lego Boss

50% chance the game shuts down without warning when returning to main menu after a race in my case after the update.

This happened to me and I've given up on this title. The way Ian Bell treats people on the PCars forum is just adding insult to injury.

I'll never buy another SMS game again, which is a shame as they've been involved in some great titles in the past, but this is a sad jankfest which takes the piss out of the people who bought it and invested their money, but more vitally, their time time in it.

danowat

Banned
This happened to me and I've given up on this title. The way Ian Bell treats people on the PCars forum is just adding insult to injury.

I'll never buy another SMS game again, which is a shame as they've been involved in some great titles in the past, but this is a sad jankfest which takes the piss out of the people who bought it and invested their money, but more vitally, their time time in it.

Their "customer support" is indeed bizarre.

Mascot

So the patch really improved Fanatec legacy wheels?

It absolutely did. The Porsche wheels are now recognised as actual wheels which opens up the whole FFB tuning suite. Beware though, default settings are completely overpowered and FFB clips like hell, shaking the wheel like re-entry into the earth's atmosphere. I spent three hours applying Jack Spades FFB tweaks onto all cars and it all feels great now.

Their "customer support" is indeed bizarre.

I think Ian sometimes forgets that he's responding to new customers and not necessarily WMD members who are very used to his sarcasm and the short shrift he gives to abusive messages, of which there are a LOT (and hence, a lot of his typical responses). I've never once seem him respond in a negative or impolite way to courteous and constructive criticism, but there may of course be examples out there.

danowat

Banned
I think Ian sometimes forgets that he's responding to new customers and not necessarily WMD members who are very used to his sarcasm and the short shrift he gives to abusive messages, of which there are a LOT (and hence, a lot of his typical responses). I've never once seem him respond in a negative or impolite way to courteous and constructive criticism, but there may of course be examples out there.

Indeed, it's the same difference between the way you converse with your co-workers versus the way you converse with your customers.

I've said it before, but if I spoke to my customers like that, I'd be destitute, nice to have the luxury of saying what you want to who you want, and still have an income source.

Spookie

I've said it before, but if I spoke to my customers like that, I'd be destitute, nice to have the luxury of saying what you want to who you want, and still have an income source.

Like wise, I'd be out of a job. A customer is upset because the software doesn't work. That's your fault. Someone needs to tell him to stop posting on the forum, hire a proper community manager as he does little except contribute to the circlejerk.

Lego Boss

It absolutely did. The Porsche wheels are now recognised as actual wheels which opens up the whole FFB tuning suite. Beware though, default settings are completely overpowered and FFB clips like hell, shaking the wheel like re-entry into the earth's atmosphere. I spent three hours applying Jack Spades FFB tweaks onto all cars and it all feels great now.

I have seen examples of times when he has banned someone for a genuine complaint:

http://pretendracecars.net/2015/06/11/reader-submission-6-at-least-from-his-sarcasm-comes-the-truth/

When I saw this, I knew enough was enough (leaving aside the fact that sometimes the PCars forum is exceptionally entertaining).

Mascot

I have seen examples of times when he has banned someone for a genuine complaint:

http://pretendracecars.net/2015/06/11/reader-submission-6-at-least-from-his-sarcasm-comes-the-truth/

When I saw this, I knew enough was enough (leaving aside the fact that sometimes the PCars forum is exceptionally entertaining).

I didn't see the ban there..?

And the article writer must surely have been sarcastic himself when posing "Not sure if he’s being sarcastic or not…"

There's no doubt Ian rubs a lot of people up the wrong way, but there is a lot of vitriol posted. People are pissed off with the launch (and post-patch) state of the game but abuse often gets answered with sarcasm. I agree it doesn't look great for a neutral observer. Personally, I find it pretty obvious when he's taking the piss and responding on a like-for-like basis, but I also agree it often comes across as somewhat unprofessional considering the amount of things that need fixing and are still being worked on. That's the nature of the guy I guess - he always speaks his mind.

danowat

Banned
Ugh, not pretendracecars, man, that site is pure hate, that site, and PCars customer support are doing a lot of damage to sim racing IMO

Personally, I find it pretty obvious when he's taking the piss and responding on a like-for-like basis, but I also agree it often comes across as somewhat unprofessional considering the amount of things that need fixing and are still being worked on. That's the nature of the guy I guess - he always speaks his mind.

He's basically running the forum the way I am sure a lot of developers would like too, but won't due to the potential financial suicide of doing so!

Mascot

Then don't fucking post.

Someone in the studio needs to grow a spine and tell him to shut the fuck up. You don't put out a file by pouring petrol on it.

The MD's wife at an old job of mine actually intervened to relaunch the boss as a new user-friendly, 'cuddlier' (her words) version. Some people used to be absolutely terrified of him..! It kind of worked, up to a point.

Lego Boss

The MD's wife at an old job of mine actually intervened to relaunch the boss as a new user-friendly, 'cuddlier' (her words) version. Some people used to be absolutely terrified of him..! It kind of worked, up to a point.

Is it possible to change the character of someone, irrepsective of 'training' and being taught how to be 'empathic'?

I think in times of stress we all revert to type. Quite clearly Ian Bell is a man under immense pressure.

Apologies for linking to a 'known' site, I didn't know it was seen in that way here . . .

danowat

Banned
Is it possible to change the character of someone, irrepsective of 'training' and being taught how to be 'empathic'?

No, not in my experience at least, even with lots of coaching, you always resort to your default position at times of high emotion.

Anyway, enough about that........

Caper Stock car on Watkins Glen GP, how good is that combo?, love it!

Bobnob

Oh wow, i just got banned from Pcars forum for voicing my opinion on Pcars multiplayer lol in the off topic, forza 6 area, pathetic edit: post#313 is the reason but i was already on a warning so to be fair, sms dev used the easy option, they have no spine!

Its because now they have our money and its sold a heap and reviewed better than expected he already feels mission accomplished. And thinks he can act like a cunt.

The_D

Neo Member
I've stopped playing due to the problems of the XB1 version. I really hope it gets sorted on XB1 soon, or it'll be forgotten on that platform once Forza 6 arrives, IMO.

The 1.4 patch is supposed to come today, they think.

flashmouth

Neo Member
I've stopped playing due to the problems of the XB1 version. I really hope it gets sorted on XB1 soon, or it'll be forgotten on that platform once Forza 6 arrives, IMO.

The 1.4 patch is supposed to come today, they think.

Did the framerate on XBO improve already or is it due with 1.4? reading good things about the ps4 version.

danowat

Banned
Ok people, diff settings, for some reason, even though I've driven sims for donkey's years, these always confuse me.

I've done some searching, and have found contradictory information, and I am not convinced that PCars settings are the same as other sims.........

Can anyone give me a very simple, Increase this does this, and decreasing this does this, for Accel lock, Decel lock and preload does please, that would be most appreciated.

Mascot

Ok people, diff settings, for some reason, even though I've driven sims for donkey's years, these always confuse me.

I've done some searching, and have found contradictory information, and I am not convinced that PCars settings are the same as other sims.........

Can anyone give me a very simple, Increase this does this, and decreasing this does this, for Accel lock, Decel lock and preload does please, that would be most appreciated.

Try the PC sims thread?

(PC = personal computer, not project cars)

here

oRuin

I've been really enjoying Pcars on the PS4 since joining a clean racing community. Met some new people and had some great racing. I have ordered the T3PA-PRO ADD-ON for my T300 and was wondering if anyone has used the GT Omega Stand? I understand that a lot of people buy the Wheel Stand Pro, but If I was to buy the addon shifter somewhere down the line I would like to be able to mount it in the correct position which the GT Omega allows. Any thoughts on this stand from people who own it?

Icefire1424

Absolute rookie question, but really curious how everyone else out there is doing this.

I'm playing with no "game" assists - no driving line, no map, only helmet cam, stuff like that. When out on the track (especially when getting the feel for a new circuit), what indicators are you looking for when determining when, and how hard to brake coming into a turn? Pretty easy when behind some traffic (look for the sea of brake lights), but what techniques do you use when on your own? I've noticed I tend to look for the rubber on the road to indicate where the field is braking, but even then I seem to miss my mark pretty regularly until I start memorizing every turn. Meter markers are only somewhat helpful, but really am curious what everyone else does.

Seems like something one might learn at racing school.

Dilly

Banned
Absolute rookie question, but really curious how everyone else out there is doing this.

I'm playing with no "game" assists - no driving line, no map, only helmet cam, stuff like that. When out on the track (especially when getting the feel for a new circuit), what indicators are you looking for when determining when, and how hard to brake coming into a turn? Pretty easy when behind some traffic (look for the sea of brake lights), but what techniques do you use when on your own? I've noticed I tend to look for the rubber on the road to indicate where the field is braking, but even then I seem to miss my mark pretty regularly until I start memorizing every turn. Meter markers are only somewhat helpful, but really am curious what everyone else does.

Just look for visual pointers. For example, I always start braking for the second Monza chicane when just under the bridge, this still depends on what car you're driving of course.

I've been driving these circuits in sims for so long I don't really think about it anymore, I just brake on feeling.

danowat

Banned

Start lapping the track slowly, watch for static visual trackside details (important that these details don't move, like shadows, rubbering in, or brake markers) for braking indication, slowly increase your speed and decrease your braking distances as you lap.

Turn in and apex points are also as important, so pay attention to that, Stella Stig did a video showing how to drive Zolder, this will give you some idea on how to progress with learn to drive a track fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguTM-aXG4U

fresquito

Finding visual cues to where to brake exactly is essential to racing. I used to break based on braking marks on asphalt, but you need to find much better references. If possible, look for static cues that you can follow under every circumstance (for istance, billboards or distance markers, while good enough, should never be your only reference, since those can be taken out by accidents and then you will be lost).

Icefire1424

Just look for visual pointers. For example, I always start braking for the second Monza chicane when just under the bridge, this still depends on what car you're driving of course.

I've been driving these circuits in sims for so long I don't really think about it anymore, I just brake on feeling.

Okay, that's a bit creepy. This thread was inspired by my run around Monza in a Pagani Zonda last night. Very familiar with the course (thank you GT series), but not in a car that powerful in this game until now. Given the number of times I've probably run this track virtually in my life, I assumed I would've had the lines down pat, but just could not find the best lines in that Zonda. Kept braking waaaaaaaay too late in that last turn.

Start lapping the track slowly, watch for static visual trackside details (important that these details don't move, like shadows, rubbering in, or brake markers) for braking indication, slowly increase your speed and decrease your braking distances as you lap.

Turn in and apex points are also as important, so pay attention to that, Stella Stig did a video showing how to drive Zolder, this will give you some idea on how to progress with learn to drive a track fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguTM-aXG4U

Sound advice, and that's generally what I've been doing. As Dilly mentioned, I do start looking for visual cues the more I race on a particular circuit, just takes some time to become familiar with them. Either way, sounds like I'm on the right path, just need more time behind the wheel. Thanks for the feedback!

Finding visual cues to where to brake exactly is essential to racing. I used to break based on braking marks on asphalt, but you need to find much better references. If possible, look for static cues that you can follow under every circumstance (for istance, billboards or distance markers, while good enough, should never be your only reference, since those can be taken out by accidents and then you will be lost).

I catch myself doing that more often than I should, especially since the rubber on the road becomes much harder to see in the rain or when the shadows are out on the track. Good point.

Top Bottom