• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

SxP

After Killzone Mercenary, I'm definitely hyped to see what Guerrilla Cambridge is doing. Rigs looks promising.

klee123

It's good that Sony didn't devote much time to VR during the conference.

It's better to make a point by just letting people try it out.

kyser73

I was surprised by the brief mention of Morpheus during the presentation, but my guess is that Sony knew that it wouldn't work well demoed on stage and that's why they've got loads of units on the floor.

I'm betting on a bigger stage presence at PSX & another Jan/Feb price, name & consumer model reveal same as the PS4.

DevilFox

I can't be the only one that wanted a game from Cambridge not for VR, right?
Good to see them on something else, sure, but a PS4 game would've been better :( Do we know if all the team is committed on Rigs or if it's just a small project?

Seanspeed

Banned
I haven't really followed it, but my assumption is that it's basically a pervert simulator.
Pretty much.

I'm still kinda interested in stuff like this, though. I mean, as long as we're not doing anything morally contemptible in the game, I don't see anything wrong with it. They've never been something I was interested in before, but I feel like they'll take on a whole new meaning in VR and could be properly.......stimulating....

So much so that there could be a lot of controversy about it in the coming years. This will be scraping very close to the 'is it cheating?' conundrum, for one.

That's a pretty huge limitation

Yes it is.

It's one of the things that isn't very known, except by the VR enthusiasts. For example Valve is being very adamant in limit the VR experiences to room sized VR, to maintain presence.
But then, you can't do a lot of games, or you are going to split akwardly the games in lots of room-sized areas.

Kudo

If it's only 500 dollars and comes bundled with Summer Lesson, I'm in.
And to be honest I'm quite sure it'll be less than that.

Grinchy

Banned
I totally get that it's hard to show off on a stage. But no hint of a release date, pricing, specs, ect? I doubt that many of the more casual viewers even had any fucking clue what it was. The brevity of it tells me that it's a long way off.

I think it's been hinted at that they are working on the next PS4 Killzone (so Guerrilla Amsterdam can focus on Horizon).

There are two teams within Guerrilla no? So that means if Cambridge can concentrate on PS4 Killzone then the other team is working on something new as well?

I totally get that it's hard to show off on a stage. But no hint of a release date, pricing, specs, ect? I doubt that many of the more casual viewers even had any fucking clue what it was. The brevity of it tells me that it's a long way off.

I think they're setting up Paris Week as the place to reveal more stuff and maybe a release date and price for Morpheus -- especially as it'll be their last chance before Q1 2016.

I'm so, SO happy for Guerrilla Cambridge. They can make their own IP.
I really thought GG forced them to make another Killzone.
RIGS looks super fun. Can't wait!

GO, GO, Cambridge!

Man

They're not going to announce a price almost a year in advance.
They're not going to do it at Paris either.
Expect it at PlayStation Experience in December.

Business

Really curious to see how Rigs works, I hope looking around you can see the cockpit.

Visuals look more than enough across the board for a compelling VR experience.

This was a massively depressing conference for Morpheus fans. I didn't think we would get a date. Or even a price. I even get not wanting to spend too much time on it. But at least explain yourselves. The way they fumbled smacked of incompetence.

Let's be honest other than Eve and Rigs the lineup is a steaming pile of boring Indies and demos turned games. And Rigs looks nauseating. Other than Eve there is no aaa support. Not even from Sony. What the hell? No mention of No Mans Sky VR support. No confirmed LBP game. The one demo that people got excited (gdc) about was not mentioned as a full game. No big GT surprise. I will buy a Rift for Eve so Sony better get there act together or I will be skipping Morpheus. I went from preorder day 1 to wait and see.

kyser73

This was a massively depressing conference for Morpheus fans. I didn't think we would get a date. Or even a price. I even get not wanting to spend too much time on it. But at least explain yourselves. The way they fumbled smacked of incompetence.

Let's be honest other than Eve and Rigs the lineup is a steaming pile of boring Indies and demos turned games. And Rigs looks nauseating. Other than Eve there is no aaa support. Not even from Sony. What the hell? No mention of No Mans Sky VR support. No confirmed LBP game. The one demo that people got excited (gdc) about was not mentioned as a full game. No big GT surprise. I will buy a Rift for Eve so Sony better get there act together or I will be skipping Morpheus. I went from preorder day 1 to wait and see.

Why don't you wait for impressions from the floor tomorrow before rushing to judgement?

What in god's name are you talking about? It's over a year from release and VR is fucking terrible on stage, as we've seen with Oculus. Post again once you've spent the next 4 days on the floor with their Morpheus presence.

Why don't you wait for impressions from the floor tomorrow before rushing to judgement?

Yep, Morpheus will not be sold by a press conference but by the showfloor experiences/reviews.

Didn't they say presence of Morpheus at Sony booth is massive? (hope it will be the same on GC)

Those games look very much like niche titles. They really do need killer titles to push VR

I'm curious to see what Vive brings tonight at PC gamer conference

ducksauce

They should have released 360 spherical videos on YouTube. That way at least those of us with Samsung Gear or Google Cardboard could watch the trailers in VR.

Linkup

They're not going to announce a price almost a year in advance.
They're not going to do it at Paris either.
Expect it at PlayStation Experience in December.

Valve/HTC are 5 months from launch and probably into manufacturing checks and all that, they still don't have a price, final design, or launch lineup so it's probably not time yet for PM.

derExperte

Yep, Morpheus will not be sold by a press conference but by the showfloor experiences/reviews.

Didn't they say presence of Morpheus at Sony booth is massive? (hope it will be the same on GC)

But you have to give people some reason to check it out on the showfloor and viewers at home to then read those impressions. They did not do that at all, if it was their plan to lower expectations for whatever reason they certainly succeed though.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But you have to give people some reason to check it out on the showfloor and viewers at home to then read those impressions. They did not do that at all, if it was their plan to lower expectations for whatever reason they certainly succeed though.
In what situation does someone not go to the Sony show floor when covering E3?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Surprised by Rigs. Totally against the 'be careful with FPS's' mantra held so far by most VR circles. Particularly interested in hearing how that one is received.

Seated experiences like mechs work fine in VR. One of the highest rated Oculus Share games is VOX Machines (a mech game) and it is great. Hawken has also had VR support for awhile (though their sense of scale is completely off).

Also FPS are fine in VR. The problem really only comes in when control is taken away from the player (cutscenes, climbing animations, etc) that makes you feel ill.

I suppose they could have done a scripted, (potentially) non-representative, stage demo, that would have been better than a working show floor attraction.

RIGS looked pretty good to me, would love a starwars themed game, e.g. on the speeders on Endor or space fights in x-wings.

What in god's name are you talking about? It's over a year from release and VR is fucking terrible on stage, as we've seen with Oculus. Post again once you've spent the next 4 days on the floor with their Morpheus presence.

I am entitled to my impression and to be honest it's not a good one. It's not one year from release according to their q1 2016 placeholder date. I acknowledged that I don't care they didn't spend much time on stage, but how they managed it was poor. Sadly I am not attending e3 this year but I tried Morpheus last year. I have played CrescentBay multiple times. I know how awesome VR is going to be. I have a dk2 myself and I am sure for people who have not spent a lot of time in VR the opinions will likely be positive. But what I was looking for was serious investment! A aaa game lineup. Maybe not a full lineup but definitely more than what was announced. Rigs didn't look like a game I would be that into. What oculus showed was more impressive than Sony and that frankly was a big suprise.

waters10

Neo Member
I didn't want to see VR demos. I wanted to see hear more details on the hardware and I was hoping for a more firm launch date and price announcement! Conference was awesome, but disappointing that we got no new info on Morpheus.

Yaari

Yeah I came in expecting a lot of Morpheus stuff as I'm really excited for it, but pretty much nothing. Wish they would do something on the side to still present it.

Oh well hopefully the on-floor impressions are going to good.

Seanspeed

Banned
Seated experiences like mechs work fine in VR. One of the highest rated Oculus Share games is VOX Machines (a mech game) and it is great. Hawken has also had VR support for awhile (though their sense of scale is completely off).

Also FPS are fine in VR. The problem really only comes in when control is taken away from the player (cutscenes, climbing animations, etc) that makes you feel ill.
Games like Hawken and Vox Machinae work because you're in a *visible* cockpit. Simply being seated doesn't matter. You cant rely on your mental process reminding you that you're actually in a mech of some sort. You need the visual stimulation to drive the point home to your brain.

And it's also not true that FPS's are fine so long as you don't take away control from the player. I wish it was that easy, but the disconnect in movement itself can absolutely cause nausea in many, many people.

Yeah I came in expecting a lot of Morpheus stuff as I'm really excited for it, but pretty much nothing. Wish they would do something on the side to still present it.

Oh well hopefully the on-floor impressions are going to good.
It's a pretty meagre showing so far.

I was hoping Sony would have some flagship VR software to show off, something with Media Molecule, Gran Turismo or whatever. Or maybe even some non-gaming apps.

I am entitled to my impression and to be honest it's not a good one. It's not one year from release according to their q1 2016 placeholder date. I acknowledged that I don't care they didn't spend much time on stage, but how they managed it was poor. Sadly I am not attending e3 this year but I tried Morpheus last year. I have played CrescentBay multiple times. I know how awesome VR is going to be. I have a dk2 myself and I am sure for people who have not spent a lot of time in VR the opinions will likely be positive. But what I was looking for was serious investment! A aaa game lineup. Maybe not a full lineup but definitely more than what was announced. Rigs didn't look like a game I would be that into. What oculus showed was more impressive than Sony and that frankly was a big suprise.

If you think Sony, or any big publisher are going to drop everything they're doing and create AAA games specifically for Morpheus, you're crazy. Attach rate post release will define there. Oculus have very few AAA games coming. They're all mid budget releases or indies. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, I'm not totally sold on what they showed either but you're living in la la land with your expectations.

MaDKaT

Was a little disappointing they only touched on morpheus during the conference but understand why. Can't wait to read/see more impressions from the games they have on the show floor. I just need them to announce the price and release date. My camera, move controllers etc.... are ready to live on the PS4.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't buy the whole 'they didn't show much because it doesn't demo well on stage' thing. I mean, I'm sure there's some of that, but I'd also imagine that if they had some really great 1st party content, they'd have at least given a brief announcement for it, kinda like they did with GG's title. I especially expected some sort of non-gaming content announcement(s), as this is something that people probably aren't considering that much.

This does put a question mark over Sony's level of support for this, but granted, it's early days. I'd just be very surprised if they had any 'big' announcements to make with Morpheus for the rest of E3. Main hope is that a lot of what they've got in development just isn't ready to be shown yet.

Top Bottom