• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

Man

Sony really took it to heart that you can't effectively demonstrate VR on a stage so they zipped through twenty or so game logos with some rolling footage. Apparently half-their booth space is dedicated to Morpheus demo stations but that's there and I'm here. Let's try to gather up some trailers & videos:

Post them if you have them.

CHp5_RQUsAAXD6n.jpg:large

CHr_WnwWoAAjjIf.jpg:large

Rigs isn't really my thing but I'm glad to see Guerrilla Cambridge have the chance to develop something that's not Killzone.

Still hoping for a Colony Wars reboot, but I know that's just a pipe dream. With No Man's Sky and Eve Valkyrie Sony probably don't see it as necessary.

Seanspeed

Banned
Surprised by Rigs. Totally against the 'be careful with FPS's' mantra held so far by most VR circles. Particularly interested in hearing how that one is received.

amnesiac

Really surprised how little they talked about it. Even though they definitely realize that having people experience it is the best way to sell them on it, it's still strange they didn't push it a little more. Even the games "announced" (there were like 2) for Morpheus weren't talked about very much.

Man

Surprised by Rigs. Totally against the 'be careful with FPS's' mantra held so far by most VR circles. Particularly interested in hearing how that one is received.
Looking closely the player is actually seated inside fast-moving mechs so it shouldn't be a problem. It looks like it's adhering to established VR rules. I presume it plays close to how VOX Machina does on PC (although much faster).

I like the look of rigs really itll be fun to try out. I like that esports aspect of it. Seems that thread of concern on morpheus wasnt warranted.

Arondight

Yeah,first thing watching it was the amount of jumping around and how fast it was kind of makes me wonder how it'll really feel in VR and not just a screen.

Vuze

I was also shocked that it had so little screen time. They haven't even talked about any progress they most certainly made iirc and I really expected some news regarding launch

Alx

Rigs looks fun. One of the few games that made me feel "I want to play that !" at this E3.

dddooozzz9

Neo Member
A Hatsune Miku tech demo for Project Morpheus will be playable at Sony’s E3 booth this week, Sega announced.

The Sega feat. Hatsune Miku Project: VR Tech Demo lets users view a Hatsune Miku virtual reality concert. Popular songs from artist Mitchie M are featured in medley form.

If you’re at E3 this week, be sure to check it out.

Gematsu

Eve Valkyrie is still the one I'm most hyped about. Rigs looks cool, even though the "sport" setting is not my jam.

Totally against the 'be careful with FPS's' mantra held so far by most VR circles.

Looking closely the player is actually seated inside fast-moving mechs so it shouldn't be a problem. It looks like it's adhering to established VR rules.

Wait. This is something I am not familiar with. I haven't been following VR discussion extra close. What's up with the FPS thing?

According to Wired, Sony are researching "virtualised controllers" to make FPS's more comfortable, which sounds pretty cool. Will be one to keep an eye on.

Sky Chief

VR is going to be like the Wii, it will become insanely popular from word of mouth. I had some friends visiting last weekend who are not gamers and we tried the DK2. They were completely sold and wanted to know how to buy stock in VR companies and when and how they can get a VR setup of their own.

VR is something you have to experience by yourself. I'm glad sony didn't spend a lot of time talking about it on the conference.

Which brings up the main concern again. How many people will be able to experience it at E3 and GC? How many kiosks will there be after launch (more importantly how well will they be maintained) and how many people will experiece it because they have friends owning one?

On the other hand, I would love if that coop gameplay stuff really works out. I am sure my wife doesn't care about VR, but if we can finally have multi-monitor-multiplayer instead of that aweful Lego or Infinity split screens that would be fantastic. Still the isolation of VR kinda contradicts what is special when playing together in the same room.

VR is going to be like the Wii, it will become insanely popular from word of mouth.
Maybe, maybe not. Wii got popular by videos of senior cititzen with smiles on their faces while bowling together. The same for VR will only do damage.

B.O.O.M

So happy for GG Cambridge. Rigs looks dope. The game is getting a bit overshadowed at the moment due to the other megatons they dropped.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VR is something you have to experience by yourself. I'm glad sony didn't spend a lot of time talking about it on the conference.

Even putting aside live demos, there wasn't much coverage. house seemed to be at pains to talk about it almost as a side project, not to overshadow the PS4. And hardly any games were talked about. If it was coming out with good software support in Q1 2016, I'd have expected more information, even without actual demos.

The only thing I can think of is that they are planning a bigger showing in Paris or at PSX. But then I think House didn't even say something like 'we have a lot of new demos on the show floor, and we'll have a lot more information to share at Paris Games week/PSX'

Seanspeed

Banned
Looking closely the player is actually seated inside fast-moving mechs so it shouldn't be a problem. It looks like it's adhering to established VR rules. I presume it plays close to how VOX Machina does on PC (although much faster).
Doesn't really matter that you're technically seated in a mech cuz you don't see it. There is no cockpit surround providing that frame of reference.

I did notice there was no straight left/right strafing shown, though. And it's all very 'smoothed out', so not a lot of head bobbing or anything. Very focused on smooth, forward-paced gameplay. Which is really interesting if it works.

Wait. This is something I am not familiar with. I haven't been following VR discussion extra close. What's up with the FPS thing?
Well, due to how convincing this VR tech is, your vestibular system easily gets a bit angry when dealing with more typical FPS-type movement. The disconnect between the reality of your own movement/acceleration and what your eyes/ears are telling your brain you are experiencing causes discomfort and nausea pretty quickly in a lot of cases, particularly with the exaggerated speed and unnatural movement you find in most FPS games.

So basically, a problem that devs will need to figure out and I'm super interested in any devs who think they've come up with a good solution like here as it could pave the way forward for others if it works well.

Man

On-foot first person movement makes you sick in VR because your body is telling your brain it's actually sitting still despite visuals.
If your virtual body is also sitting still however, within a mech for example (or a car, spaceship, magic carpet etc), if it has that context then it's no problem moving around in 'first-person' view.

I'd like to add to that that it only makes you sick if your actual body is not moving.

That's why room-scale VR has a nausea rate of basically 0%.
This.

Durante

On-foot first person movement makes you sick in VR because your body is telling your brain it's actually sitting still despite visuals.
I'd like to add to that that it only makes you sick if your actual body is not moving.

That's why room-scale VR has a nausea rate of basically 0%.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Godling looks interesting...

http://vrfocus.com/archives/17008/first-godling-details-revealed/

Godling_1.png

Godling_Header-790x300.png

Golding is being developed using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4. It’s a first-person adventure in which players are cast as a toddler god that must either grow to master their very own domain or instead choose to cause mayhem within it. The title uses ‘gaze-based’ navigation to allow players to progress through the world along with the DualShock 4 controller. Sólfar is said to be optimising the visuals to take advantage of Project Morpheus’ 120Hz refresh rate, which is currently the best refresh rate of any VR HMD.

Sólfar itself was established in late 2014 to work on AAA videogames. Based in Reykjavik, Iceland, the company is comprised of former CCP Games developers.

It's playable at the show.

If your virtual body is also sitting still however, within a mech for example (or a car, spaceship, magic carpet etc), if it has that context then it's no problem moving around in 'first-person' view.

This.

That's a pretty huge limitation

Percy

Banned
Morpheus only got like 5 minutes at the show.

Don't get me wrong, I personally thought that was awesome, but it was very surprising as well.

GYNGA

Rigs looks like it could be a ton of fun

I tried OR and GearVR earlier this year and was kind of let down since I didn't feel presence for some reason but I really want to give it another chance

Well, due to how convincing this VR tech is, your vestibular system easily gets a bit angry when dealing with more typical FPS-type movement. The disconnect between the reality of your own movement/acceleration and what your eyes/ears are telling your brain you are experiencing causes discomfort and nausea pretty quickly in a lot of cases, particularly with the exaggerated speed and unnatural movement you find in most FPS games.

So basically, a problem that devs will need to figure out and I'm super interested in any devs who think they've come up with a good solution like here as it could pave the way forward for others if it works well.

Right, makes sense. The motion sickness side is something I have been a bit worried about with VR, as I tend to get that quite easily. The reason I asked was that "being carefull with FPS" and "established VR rules" made it seem like there has been some discussion about the subject matter of immersive shooters mass murder simulators lol.

But anyways, I should follow VR more closely. Interesting stuff.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Rig looks great. They should have shown something similar with some people at the stage while the gameplay is pre-edited. MS does it well - it's all about rehearsal and practice.

params7

Banned
Actually excited for RIGS if they can tackle it without inducing motion sickness in me.

E-Sport on consoles is limited to CoD/MLG. Anything that improves the scene is always welcome.

Top Bottom