• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

sense

i am shocked summer lesson video has close to 500k views already even though it wasn't advertised that much.

ofcourse one of them is mine!:)

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Games like Hawken and Vox Machinae work because you're in a *visible* cockpit. Simply being seated doesn't matter. You cant rely on your mental process reminding you that you're actually in a mech of some sort. You need the visual stimulation to drive the point home to your brain.

And it's also not true that FPS's are fine so long as you don't take away control from the player. I wish it was that easy, but the disconnect in movement itself can absolutely cause nausea in many, many people.

By seated I meant in game (sitting in a mech). I've owned the DK1 and DK2 both since launch and have played many FPS games (both made for VR and not using VorpX). I'm not sure if you are speaking from experience as well or regurgitating things you read - but either way I'll just have to agree to disagree with you.

EDIT: Doom3, Half Life 2, Dishonored, Time Rifters, Valiant, ARK Survival Evolved, GTA, Alien Isolation, and Quake 2 were all great experiences for me. Mirror's Edge was not because it constantly look control away from you and Dying Light also was uncomfortable because it would take control away from you for climbing animations. I play a lot of VR so I do have good VR legs at this point.

Crema

Let's just say the inversely proportional relationship between birth rates and fap rates is likely to be exponential.

Haha are people serious about this? Like, do people get genuinely sexually aroused by video games? Not judging, just curious.

Seanspeed

Banned
By seated I meant in game (sitting in a mech). I've owned the DK1 and DK2 both since launch and have played many FPS games (both made for VR and not using VorpX). I'm not sure if you are speaking from experience as well or regurgitating things you read - but either way I'll just have to agree to disagree with you.
I know what you meant by seated. Like I said, you don't *see* that you're seated, though. That's the important part.

As for what I'm speaking from, it's both. It's not 'regurgitating' what others have said in a situation like this. You cant just ignore honest testimony from others. VR is tricky and what works for you may not work for somebody else, so you cant just assume that your own experience is the standard metric.

Haha are people serious about this? Like, do people get genuinely sexually aroused by video games? Not judging, just curious.
If they didn't before, they will now.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I know what you meant by seated. Like I said, you don't *see* that you're seated, though. That's the important part.

As for what I'm speaking from, it's both. It's not 'regurgitating' what others have said in a situation like this. You cant just ignore honest testimony from others. VR is tricky and what works for you may not work for somebody else, so you cant just assume that your own experience is the standard metric.

If they didn't before, they will now.

Well that is a good point because you become "better" at handling VR. Most people refer to it as their "VR legs". People who picked up the DK1/DK2 and tried it once may or may not have had a comfortable experience. After playing a lot most people become acclimated to it.

NahaNago

people get aroused by hentai , romance novels, and comics. OF COURSE ! they will get aroused by video games as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well that is a good point because you become "better" at handling VR. Most people refer to it as their "VR legs". People who picked up the DK1/DK2 and tried it once may or may not have had a comfortable experience. After playing a lot most people become acclimated to it.
You can increase your tolerance levels, but I don't think *most* people become completely immune to it. There are a lot of people who have spent a good amount of time in VR that will still experience discomfort/nausea in many games, with FPS's being one of the more prevalent antagonists.

Man

I wouldn't be so sure. It's a bit hard to determine from the trailer. It showcases you have glass in front of you as the hud overlays it from time to time. If one followed the cannons to their origin one would probably see the rest of the construct.

Dinjooh

So much so that there could be a lot of controversy about it in the coming years. This will be scraping very close to the 'is it cheating?' conundrum, for one.

Oh man, this needs to happen.

"It's not you darling, it's not me either - it's Haniko-chan."

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone explain to me what Summer Lesson is about? Am I supposed to be playing some sort of tutor?

Its test about character interactions between the player and AI character. People who have tried it have reported that seeing responsive NPCs in VR can be a very impactfull experience, them looking them into your eyes, reacting to you, casually or intentionally entering your "personal space". Things like that are enabling VR experiences to cause much different reactions in players than any demo shown on HDTV/Monitor can ever do.

GHound

Watching that Summer Lesson video feels like I'm watching the future of visual novels.

I like the future. The future is good.

Business

I wouldn't be so sure. It's a bit hard to determine from the trailer. It showcases you have glass in front of you as the hud overlays it from time to time. If one followed the cannons to their origin one would probably see the rest of the construct.

I agree it would be very strange they have set your position in space to a point between and behind the guns yet outside of the cockpit. You must be able to see around and around must be the cockpit.

Seanspeed

Banned
You might be able to see if you look around, but that doesn't help when you cant see it during the bulk of gameplay where you're looking forward.

I can see it now...

Someone is going to fall truly, deeply in love with the girl from Summer Lesson..

Upon finally realizing she isn't real, they will suffer through depression and really tough times, them someone gets sued...

DavidDesu

Some cool impressions from Road To VR that should help put everyone's mind at ease about Morpheus. Particularly good to hear about a lack of aliasing and the comfort of Morpheus and ability to accommodate glasses wearers better than the other headsets.

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-vr-battle-zone-nails-hover-tank-combat-on-sony-morpheus/

The Rigs link has been put up already but for quickness here it is again.

http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-with-rigs-the-best-looking-project-morpheus-vr-game-so-far/

I'm pretty hyped for Morpheus I must say. Knowing that the only VR solution I can afford is definitely going to be bringing some fantastic experiences of it's own to the table.

MaDKaT

Is there any word on games like Rigs having offline modes? maybe solo with bots? I get the attraction of group and team play but that just isnt how I game.

Also are there any impressions of the demo that was mentioned in the Wired VR article that took advantage of the Move gun?

Nice. New girl looks great too. Needs to come out. Glad they put out that English trailer, seems way more likely they're really doing it.

yup, i would like an Unbalance X2 kind of lesson myself. i hope there is a lot to choose from

Greg and Colin in the KIndaFunny stream yesterday were pretty negativ about Morpheus. They thought its pretty much dead because Sony didn't give it much attention at the show.
Greg at one point said he wished that they had announced that every game they showed so far will be playable on Morpheus, too. They also thought Microsoft is able to compete with Morpheus because of their deal with Oculus.

This shows how little people understand what VR actually is.
It should be obvious that you can show of Morpheus on stage. VR banks on the fact that its so awesome that the few people who actually tried it spread the word and people try it at their friends house and are immediately convinced.
I don't know whether or not VR is really going to be that awesome that this approach works, but thats the way Sony, Valve and Oculus are doing it. We won't see stage shows where they us VR trailers. It just doesn't work that way.

Another common mistake is that people think you can just port normal games over to VR.Thats not how its done. VR is a completely different from normal gaming on a screen or gaming on a 3D screen. We need different inputs, different gameplay mechanics, different movement and camera, different leveldesign and different etc.
Sure there will be some ports, but they will all feel weird. The games developed exclusively for VR are where its at.

And last but not least: the Microsoft-Oculus partnershit has nothing to do with the VR everybody is talking about.
VR is about putting you IN the game world. Oculus on Xbox will just put you in a virtual room where you play your usual games on a virtual screen.
This has nothing to do with what Sony is trying do with Morpheus.

this makes a lot of sense, i wonder if they are going to partner up with retailers and put lots of units for people to play-test. they should put units in shopping malls too.

hesido

And last but not least: the Microsoft-Oculus partnershit has nothing to do with the VR everybody is talking about.
VR is about putting you IN the game world. Oculus on Xbox will just put you in a virtual room where you play your usual games on a virtual screen.
This has nothing to do with what Sony is trying do with Morpheus.

Partnershit :)

It has nothing to do with the VR everybody is talking about, but it seems to have the intended effect of diverting attention from Sony's efforts.

cakefoo

I was hyped to see genuine, realtime Morpheus demos this E3, but what we got so far, I can hardly tell is for VR. Teaser trailers, gameplay footage where apparently analog sticks are controlling the camera, etc.

Man

Hands on with Battlezone on Morpheus: http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-vr-battle-zone-nails-hover-tank-combat-on-sony-morpheus/
They are really loving it.

"Visuals were again smooth and judder free with a pleasing lack of aliasing in the visuals. Today was my first time with Sony’s newer revision of headset, now with an OLED panel leveraging Sony’s version of low persistence, and it looked great."

"It’s another title in Sony’s crown then, one to add to the launch list that’s becoming ever longer as the company approaches hardware release in Q2 2016. This and Guerilla Games Cambridge’s ‘Rigs’ I think confounds those who believed the Playstation would be unable to deliver consistently compelling VR content – myself included. I’m very happy to be so very wrong."

http://www.gizmag.com/project-morpheus-hands-on-review-e3-2015/38057/
From what we could tell, though, the sense of presence was very good and Project Morpheus' 1080p resolution – lower than the Gear VR and (most likely) the consumer Oculus Rift – didn't provide the pronounced screen door effect (visible pixels) we were expecting. If we didn't already know Morpheus' resolution, we would have guessed it was a Quad HD panel, like in the Gear VR. We aren't sure why that is, but perhaps Sony has tweaked something else to cut down on the perception of the screen door effect

Morpheus is the only currently-announced VR headset that directly supports a game console (the PS4). If its quality, polish and content library are in the same ballpark as the Rift (so far the first two appear to be pretty close), then that could be a big advantage for Sony's headset.

Man

VRFocus got their hands on Rigs: http://vrfocus.com/archives/17266/preview-rigs-mechanised-combat-league/
They confirm that your virtual character is sitting inside the cockpit with hands visible on joysticks etc.

"There’s a real lightbulb moment when you first start up RIGS: Mechanised Combat League, Guerrilla Cambridge’s answer to the much sought after virtual reality (VR) first-person shooter (FPS). The simple act of walking is a dilemma for VR experiences but, technically speaking, here the player is able to move and yet remain stationary at the same time. It’s the large mech-like Rig that they command in intense online battles that does the trekking, while players remain nestled safely inside, free from any immersion-breaking barriers. It’s a simple but effective idea that’s bound to make other VR developers wonder why they didn’t think of it first, and it lays the foundation for one of the most promising titles for Project Morpheus yet..."
"...It’s at this point that you can look down to see two control pads sitting in your virtual hands that aren’t too far off from the two handles of a DualShock 4, further increasing the bond between the real and virtual worlds. You can also use positional tracking to carefully inspect the intimidating cannons that are strapped to either side of the vehicle. It creates a very genuine and dwarfing sense of being housed inside a colossal piece of weaponry.

...RIGS: Mechanised Combat League remains a reassuringly comfortable experience throughout, and smartly provides a short half-time break just a few minutes into each match. This gives players a moments rest from the admittedly draining process of concentrating on a multiplayer VR FPS...
...Two matches of RIGS: Mechanised Combat League are enough to leave you wanting more. It feels oddly reminiscent of the situation Guerrilla Cambridge found itself in with 2013’s Killzone: Mercenary in that it doesn’t just settle for bringing the FPS to a new platform, but instead strives to deliver an exciting experience in its own right. There’s still plenty more to learn about the title in the weeks and months ahead, but it’s a strong first impression."

Looks like they have a real winner on their hands.

Edit: Just noticed but I'm loving the runnerblades the robots come equipped with:
RIGS_E3-5.jpg

2nd Edit: Ah! You can actually see the pilot and steering in the photo there.

madmackem

It has nothing to do with the VR everybody is talking about, but it seems to have the intended effect of diverting attention from Sony's efforts.

Having to have a decent pc to stream your xbox one to to play in a strange view doesnt seem a selling point and i cant see how it in anyway diverts any anntention from sonys efforts when your really never going to see a game made for xbox in vr when the console itself doenst support any vr unit native.

xD, excuse my freudian typo.

Having to have a decent pc to stream your xbox one to to play in a strange view doesnt seem a selling point and i cant see how it in anyway diverts any anntention from sonys efforts when your really never going to see a game made for xbox in vr when the console itself doenst support any vr unit native.

Well, as you have seen in the KindaFunny stream people don't know what "VR" on Xbox really is.
They pretty much said that because of that partnership with Oculus, Microsoft is just as prepared for VR as Sony is.

I tried it yesterday at E3. I still see it as more as an experience giver than a full fledged gaming device. It looked great, but I can see getting eye strain and fatigued from quick neck movements over long periods of time. Rigs looked great though and the tech is there.

VR is something you have to experience by yourself. I'm glad sony didn't spend a lot of time talking about it on the conference.

That's my feeling as well. Hololens made for a cool demo but the experience provided by VR doesn't translate well to the stage or even gameplay videos.

spekkeh

Banned
Interesting that the screen door effect is similar to Gear VR. I really didn't like the screen door effect in the Rift DK2, and it was kind of pushing me to GVR over Morpheus. But if that's out of the equation, Morpheus is getting more interesting again. I wonder if it translates over different games.

Seanspeed

Banned
"...It’s at this point that you can look down to see two control pads sitting in your virtual hands that aren’t too far off from the two handles of a DualShock 4, further increasing the bond between the real and virtual worlds. You can also use positional tracking to carefully inspect the intimidating cannons that are strapped to either side of the vehicle. It creates a very genuine and dwarfing sense of being housed inside a colossal piece of weaponry.

Ok, that sounds promising!

I agree.

Plus, I actually think it is a pretty good name overall in general.
I like it, too. Sounds futuristic, but not too corny.

hesido

It's not a selling point as it really is, but people are imagining this as a full VR solution, like GigaWatts mentioned. It's not a selling point, it's not even a point as far as VR capabilities but that's not how this was perceived and MS probably intended it this way, people now think they are seriously in for VR.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not a selling point as it really is, but people are imagining this as a full VR solution, like GigaWatts mentioned. It's not a selling point, it's not even a point as far as VR capabilities but that's not how this was perceived and MS probably intended it this way, people now think they are seriously in for VR.
Like who? This sounds like paranoia to me.

Top Bottom