• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Natal - controller free gaming on 360

Firewire said:
I wonder why? Wouldn't MS want this stuff to get out or are they planning another show or something?

I expect it's to do with their agreement with MTV Networks.

Natal will be at the conference on Monday as well.

Firewire said:
I wonder why? Wouldn't MS want this stuff to get out or are they planning another show or something?

They want to avoid idiot posts like the current gif from the youtube video. But the sunday Natal event will be streamed during the Sony presser. But it will be all spectacle and not really any content. Any game worth noting will be discussed during the Monday press conference.

dread9

Banned
Vinterbird said:
They want to avoid idiot posts like the current gif from the youtube video. But the sunday Natal event will be streamed during the Sony presser. But it will be all spectacle and not really any content. Any game worth noting will be discussed during the Monday press conference.

I am eager to see someone playing natal who doesn't look like a moron. Thats what im looking forward to.

Dynoro

Firewire said:
Like GarthVader said; MTV are showing it so I suspect MTV want the exclusive reveal

ViolentP

How have I looked passed this thread for so long? First, that last gif is hilarious being the first time I've seen it. Second, next week will be absolute gold. I love E3 week.

dread9 said:
I am eager to see someone playing natal who doesn't look like a moron. Thats what im looking forward to.

Milo video. Done. Or maybe use your imagination for a second? Like say headtracking in a FPS for leaning, or in a driving game for looking out of the side windows?

It's really not that hard to think up "not stupid" scenarios.

ViolentP

Vinterbird said:
Milo video. Done. Or maybe use your imagination for a second? Like say headtracking in a FPS for leaning, or in a driving game for looking out of the side windows?

A grown man alone in a living room talking to a little boy brings concerns greater than being a moron at first glance.

Hanmik

dread9 said:

Why would you want that..? are you planning to pick up some girls with your Rad Natal moves..?
Gaming is not about looking good doing it, it is about having fun doing it.. and untill now everything shown regarding Natal, does not look fun IMO. But I´m still hoping for some great stuff from Natal during E3.

Interfectum said:
People pretending to interact with a creepy boy that features tons of canned animations and responses? Pass.

People sitting with a piece of plastic pretending to save the world from some evil empire? Everything can be made into sounding stupid.

And of course Milo's gonna have canned stuff in it, it's not an actual A.I.

derFeef

ViolentP said:
A grown man alone in a living room talking to a little boy brings concerns greater than being a moron at first glance.
A gamer thinking first at such scenario grows a concern as well IMO.

Interfectum

Vinterbird said:
People sitting with a piece of plastic pretending to save the world from some evil empire?

Dumb response. Most games are based on twitch and skill with 'save the world' fluff to give you a point or carrot to reach the end.

Talking with a little virtual boy does not take twitch or skill. It's stupid and creepy.

dread9

Banned
Vinterbird said:

I said I want to SEE it. And don't mention the Milo video, that was lame as hell. If lets say you can do a throwing motion to throw a grenade in an fps, that would be cool. But like I said, I remain hopeful that they will show this kind of stuff.

Interfectum said:
Dumb response. Most games are based on twitch and skill with 'save the world' fluff to give you a point or carrot to reach the end.

Talking with a little virtual boy does not take twitch or skill. It's stupid and creepy.

Interacting with said boy is just a different analogy to move a analog stick or press some buttons. It's different and could bring a different kind of emotional attachment to the player during the game.

And if you come to a game for twitch and skill, well then thats what you come for. I come for the experience and not the mechanical structure of a game.

derFeef

Interfectum said:

Opinions opinions. Every game (genre) is debatable to some extend. I find certain genres stupid, but that does not stop other people thinking the opposit.

Raide

ViolentP said:
He shoots, he scores.

:D

Put my down on the list for those quietly optimistic about Natal/Wave. E3 will truly be a do or die event for MS. If they can show of the tech, it stands a chance.

I am also in the room for those people wanting Viva Pinata: Wave. :D

ViolentP

For me, give me a P90X title for the Natal and a 1:1 golf title for the Move. Aside from that, there is nothing that interests me about the new tech.

feel

Do you guys have stock in the competing motion gaming offers or what?? You're trying way too hard, just let people have their fun ffs

Doodis

Vinterbird said:
Again: No media outside of the 30 minute MTV thing on Tuesday. Nothing but text/audio will be published from any media outlets.
Not even gametrailers.com? I thought I heard they were going to be streaming the conference?

Graphics Horse said:
But that could be done with Move, right? You'd have to hold two glowing controllers of course, but it knows exactly what your hands are doing and where they are.
Sure, you can track where the Move wands are...and those act as your hands, but unless you're going to require the well-lit conditions for your playing environment that a normal RGB cam, like PS Eye, requires in order to see the player, the Move ball points are only going to provide a rough point of reference to guess where your arms, shoulders, and neck and head are. Natal has no such weak point in this way since it can work in the dark or very bright and/or unevenly-lit rooms thanks to the depth pickup inherent to its design. So, Move could have more accurate sub-pixel positioning of the wands to represent your hands, but has to require the buttons and triggers to act in the normal video game fashion and has limited to no sight beyond that unless you want to require well-setup lighting that I can find impossible to believe most people already have in their gaming environment. The detected positions in the space in front of the camera for the wands' balls and their feedback of angle is the only real data to rely on in all lighting situations...and it will have limited accuracy for everything that's estimated from that data.

Natal can pick up your entire body because it's tracking yourself to match a skeleton to map an on-screen avatar/game character to or just virtual hands and such while doing things like pinning your position in front of the camera a point in the game environment. That means that any number of simultaneously-tracked stances, movements, and special gestures can be acted upon and considered for input for your game character at the same time with more natural movement and control because you aren't limited to buttons and sticks.

Movement through environments without a controller could be achieved by tracking your position relative to a 'home' point and allowing walking/running speeds in a range of directions chosen by design when detected as being stopped with both feet in the 'away' position from the 'home' spot. As a rough idea that is just for illustrative purposes:

Something like this region grouping and their relationship to the player's home position could be visualized at the feet of your game character to help understand where your feet are without having to actually try to look at them and away from the screen. Or it could be a squared-off gridwork, like a DDR layout for dancing or whatever you wanted. It's arbitrary in its shape and layout. Voice command activation could be an option, too. Face tracking could be used for turning a camera, as well.

In any case, you could be tracked with Natal doing multiple things at once with just your body and still communicate specific spatial relationship to the game world at the same time, like walking along a virtual path on-screen that corresponds to the space in front of the camera...sort of like augmented reality without the need for the looking-at-myself-in-the-mirror effect as your avatar/game character would face into the screen, too, if that's how it was designed.

Move is limited primarily by its weakness of standard camera pickup which needs adequate lighting to see you and has no consistent way to track space and distance without the wands and those only represent two points, one for each controller if you are using them. It could guesstimate distance to the camera by comparing relative size versus a capture reference point before the session begins. Natal has much better vision in both hardware and software because of its focus on nothing but the player without the aid of devices or props...which it could still use if desired. It's easy to forget that there's nothing wrong with the possibility of Natal plus controller, too.

gofreak said:
He asked about possibilities beyond Move, yet you've pretty much perfectly described the pitch Move was given last E3 ;) In terms of 'hand' interaction with virtual objects, I'd wager for now that a controller or sensor in the hand with a camera will be easily a better solution than a camera on its own, for a variety of reasons.
Oh, I know the basic gist of what I described could be achieved with Move, just as it could be done in a rougher fashion with Wii. But, like I say above, it's the ability to track lots of simultaneous body movement at the very same time that allows for more natural acting out for Natal versus Move. I imagine a cool bullet time-like moment in a game could also be fun to have to move your body to dodge many incoming shots...or human Tetris, or more involved gestures that require the entire body...or whatever. It's clearly a mistake to limit the consideration for input from Natal to just your hands.

There's a big difference in the kind of body tracking Natal is doing compared to what we've seen done with eye or eyetoy. You get a generality that wasn't there before. But on Move+Eye you certainly can achieve what would be perceived by most to be a similar result, certainly for the upper body. You'd be trading off a generally good quality of track (that you get on Natal, that gives you things like your elbows etc.) for a track that's less generally good, but that will in all probability actually be more precise and reliable at the hands where a Move controller is present. And typically we give our hands a lot of responsibility in terms of our actions...
Oh, I know a pair of Move wands would be more position-accurate than just tracking hands with Natal, but Move is still limited in it's overall vision thanks to it being a standard video cam with a severe weakness to variable lighting conditions. There's nothing stopping prop-use with Natal, but even without it, the accuracy of position should be more than good enough for most gameplay scenarios, IMO. What if I want to elbow someone? Shoulder charge them? Grab them with my arms? Use a palm strike as opposed to a close-fisted jab or even alternate between the two? What if that palm could be tracked to trap and capture an incoming strike as opposed a closed fist that is detected as a purely offensive move? Then there are my legs and ability to dodge an incoming attack with more realistic flexibility that accounting for my whole body's movement with full skeletal tracking would. What if I want to hop over a sweep kick? Or how about the crane kick from Karate Kid? :lol Joking...

I mean for something like Ricochet, you could definitely do that on Move, albeit with more compromised leg interaction, but probably better hand interaction. The same goes even more so for the described Rapid Rush control scheme (which honestly sounds like a reskin of Antigrav's controls...as does that rumoured Sonic Riders game).
Sure, man. But again, it's a bit too simple to simply lop off the level of body tracking and estimation Natal brings to the table in order to make Move look better in the comparison. :) I mean, you just made the poor on-screen character lose the ability to use his legs and body to hit and block with. Obviously, Ricochet wouldn't be the same game without the ability to dance and contort your whole body to play the game with.

PhatSaqs

Banned
The day when we have more to explain what can be done with Natal than Ricochet will be good one.

As of now, Move FTW apparently :lol

Doodis said:
Not even gametrailers.com? I thought I heard they were going to be streaming the conference?

Don't confuse it with the Monday press conference. But GT might publish the video on their site after it is published on MTV.

Doodis

Okay, good to know. I was thinking of taking work off to catch the conference since I've got quite a few vacation days, but it sounds like it would be wasted. Thanks for the info.

geoffmk said:
We will be streaming the Natal event exclusively on GameTrailers.com alongside the MTV broadcast on Tuesday.
Awesome, straight from the horse's mouth. Thanks, Geoffrey.

geoffmk said:
We will be streaming the Natal event exclusively on GameTrailers.com alongside the MTV broadcast on Tuesday.
Awesome. Will there be a way to watch it after the Sony conference though, because it clashes, right?

DMeisterJ

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:
Awesome. Will there be a way to watch it after the Sony conference though, because it clashes, right?

God, I hope so. I have no idea whose bright idea it was to have them at the same time, but yeah, hopefully it's cached online somewhere.

geoffmk said:

Wait, why can't it be streamed live? It's open to the public, so it's not like it can be NDA'd. Obviously not your fault, but ridiculous nonetheless.

itsgreen

Dont think so? Could be out of the loop, but the Natal thing is Sunday, Xbox Monday, Nintendo Tuesday morning and Sony after that?

Reallink

Father_Brain said:
Wait, why can't it be streamed live? It's open to the public, so it's not like it can be NDA'd. Obviously not your fault, but ridiculous nonetheless.

Heavy "Microsoft Approved" editing of the footage perhaps?

Interfectum said:

i know this is hard to believe, but not all games are designed for GAF readers.

Raide said:
:D

Put my down on the list for those quietly optimistic about Natal/Wave. E3 will truly be a do or die event for MS. If they can show of the tech, it stands a chance.

I am also in the room for those people wanting Viva Pinata: Wave. :D

Wait. Since when did "Wave" become the name?

The Wise Old Man said:
Sigh... Just give me my "Minority Report" style interactive Xbox dashboard. That's all I want, Microsoft. I'd wager that's all that 75% of us regular gamers want.

That's really all you want? That's really worth owning the device for?

Be bold and ask for some uses in games too.

Interfectum said:
6dzhc6.jpg

LOL. someone should edit ceiling cat up in that messed up ceiling panel. :lol

Top Bottom