• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Seik

Banned
Just finished the guy's story.

Fuuuuuck this is good, this is damn good and the OST is nothing short of excellent.

All in, day 1.

Now seriously, it'll be revealed that Motomu Toriyama is the secret co-director and the game will be officially named "Octopussy Lightning."

I saw some slowdown in the cave. The aesthetic of this game is among the best I've ever played through though. It isn't that they're doing it just for its aesthetic...it actually affects the gameplay and my interaction with the game, and how I process the scenes / my exploration is affected by it, and I really really like that.

Exentryk

Now seriously, it'll be revealed that Motomu Toriyama is the secret co-director and the game will be officially named "Octopussy Lightning."

image.php

Jencks

Banned
Just finished the Primrose demo. Absolutely sublime. Much like others have said, the story is much darker than I was expecting, and is enhanced by the incredible writing.

Day 1.

Doorman

If they want to change the title at this point, the best option probably is to just shorten it to "Octopath," since it's been showing up enough times throughout the year now that that's the shorthand people are using to refer to it, anyway, and it ties in several of the game's major points well enough (8 distinct characters and stories, and the "path actions" being a major dividing factor between them).

I have a feeling it'll just stay Octopath Traveler eventually, even though it does feel like a mouthful of spaghetti the first few times you say it. With planning a worldwide release and them already having a demo for it out, I'm guessing this will be a first half of the year title, so changing up the name and what little branding and recognition they have for it too drastically might throw off some of the momentum they're currently building.

Nairume

Banned
I vote just call it Traveler.
Already the name of another game franchise.

Can't really say if it's more like Rudra or Live a Live in terms of the overall format yet, but its definitely in that ballpark.
I dunno. Based on the demo and what we've seen of it, it feels like it'd be difficult to be more like LaL when those scenarios were almost completely contained from each other until the final scenario.

It seems the ballpark is probably somewhere encompassing Rudra, Romancing SaGa 3, SaGa Frontier 1, and Seiken Densetsu 3.

jman2050

Dang this game is good. Looks super pretty, writing is on point, and I quite like the battle system as it is. Definitely looking forward to the full game if this is any indication.

knkng

Played Primrose's story up to the "demo complete" screen, although apparently I could continue playing as her character even further? Either way, I really loved what I played, and decided to delete the demo right there to save the rest for when I buy the full game.

Great stuff!

duckroll

I dunno. Based on the demo and what we've seen of it, it feels like it'd be difficult to be more like LaL when those scenarios were almost completely contained from each other until the final scenario.

It seems the ballpark is probably somewhere encompassing Rudra, Romancing SaGa 3, SaGa Frontier 1, and Seiken Densetsu 3.

World-wise, sure. But character-wise I would say the game is deliberately differentiating the characters in significant ways, which aleady makes it somewhat different from Rudra and RS3. I don't see any furries in the lineup, so it can't be like SD3, clearly.

evanmisha

Finished as Primrose, recruited the dude, did all the sidequests in both towns, beat every NPC once, got the dude's secret weapon. Now what?

I can't figure out what to do with Tobias or the Barkeep. Are they just hinting at stuff in the other story? Tobias in particular is straight up taunting me with a clear story beat and I can't figure out what to do

zroid

Banned
AND THERE'S THE UPGRADED SPEAR!

make sure you have fire magic items before attempting to duel that 5 star villager

Aeana

The game has character levels and exp, so no.

No vets of any sort are working on this. Unless you count Tenchu vets.

There are other things that make SaGa what it is besides its progression system. The format is extremely reminiscent of Romancing SaGa. Trying to find something that isn't SaGa to liken it to just because the progression system is different seems pretty silly to me.

Top Bottom