• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Plum

Use spear to get him down to 1 shield left, then use abide, then break him, and on the next turn boost up the spear special ability to max. Repeat that a few times and you'll win in no time.

Thanks for the tips! The two extra guys weak to swords does throw a wrench into things, is it better to just keep them alive and wail on the boss or kill them ASAP before focusing on the boss?

Rynam

Looks like those are part of the same one picture. I combined them. Not perfect though, the one on the right is a smaller resolution. Can't wait to get home and play the demo!

It's this picture that shows when you start the game:
DJpBoDeV4AAtGYR.jpg:large

There was a discussion here about ASoIaF games, and I can't help but feel like the desaturated pallet, numerous intersecting protagonist paths (with some edginess) and low-DOF miniature-style visuals (á la the open titles) makes this an interesting example of GoT-inspired games. (Though obviously RPGs have been doing similar things for ages, so more likely coincidences.)

Good demo though, very fun.

Strings

Battle Grandpa is rad. Looks like ~40 minutes per demo route?

Are the enemies animated ?

They dance and do attacks, but don't make contact with your characters, classic Final Fantasy-style.

The end of Primrose, that shot with the boss on the desert crag - such a FFVI type of image.

Also, "I have danced enough for you." Fab line.

Took a while to respond. Yeah i forgot about the little dude since he dies 5 minutes into the games story. So this game possibly takes place before/during Bravely Default it seems.
It could take place at any point in the story if it isn't the same world. Til is still alive in others.

jholmes

I thought this looked really interesting upon reveal in January but there is no way I'm buying a SaGa game that just happens to have a different name. Is there something that I'm missing here, this sounds exactly like the SaGa series.

Chaos17

Battle Grandpa is rad. Looks like ~40 minutes per demo route?

They dance and do attacks, but don't make contact with your characters, classic Final Fantasy-style.

I mean do you actually see them swing punch or sword or they just move foward ?

B.K.

The game looks great. I'm looking forward to it next year. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that it's another RPG that has a shitty break mechanic in battle. I hate break mechanics. I wish developers would stop using it.

Foffy

Banned
The whole "play how you want" via choice is totally an Acquire thing, as they've done with the Way of the Samurai games.

It says the director [in the credits] is Keisuke Miyauchi. I looked, and it's an anime character name? And I don't see any entries anywhere for someone with a history of game directing with that name, or see any such person listed in any gaming industry databases. Is this person real, or is it a cover for another hidden director?! Kawazu?

Played up to a boss fight in the dancer's story. Went from mild interest to completely sold on the game, love the combat, visuals and storytelling so far.

B.K.

The whole "play how you want" via choice is totally an Acquire thing, as they've done with the Way of the Samurai games.

That part of the trailer reminded me of the SaGa games. I wonder if there are any SaGa team members working on it.

This is giving me vibes of Square games from the SNES/ps1 days aka the last time I really cared about jrpgs.

It's obviously a bit early and needs polishing but holy shit is it promising!

Strings

I mean do you actually see them swing punch or sword or they just move foward ?

Nah, they just jiggle a bit / flash and have some motion implying lines around them. Only the player character has 'real' attack animations.

Dialogue at the end of Primrose was genuinely great.

jwillenn

So, this definitely needs Auto Fast Forwarding (multiple speed options) on text with skip all option.

Press + = Auto-Fast
Press + Again = Auto-Faster
Press + Again = Auto-Fastest
Press - At anytime during any level of fast forwarding and "Skip All? Yes/No" appears.
Press + A fourth time to return to Normal, or simply press A at anytime during...

Oh, and loving it! Already day 1 excited!

wmlk

Holy shit man.

Holy shit.

Just saw EZA stream Primrose's story. Holy shit that was amazing. Can't praise this game enough.

Wamb0wneD

God damn I saw EZA play through the whole demo. Man some really good stuff in there. The dialogue, the combat system, the artsytle combined with the really neat lighting, the freaking music, really neat bossfight. Alluring the old man and other small things were great as well.

Day fucking 0.

Holy shit man.

Holy shit.

Just saw EZA stream Primrose's story. Holy shit that was amazing. Can't praise this game enough.
I know right? So damn good.

I thought this looked really interesting upon reveal in January but there is no way I'm buying a SaGa game that just happens to have a different name. Is there something that I'm missing here, this sounds exactly like the SaGa series.
Maybe watch some gameplay or play the demo? The Easy allies stream was really fun to watch.

Sanctuary

Err, "HD-2D"? Why did the developer feel the need to create a phrase for something that's already existed since last gen? Also, the character sprites look far from HD.

Music is credited to Yasunori Nishiki. Doesn't look like he's done other major soundtracks of note before this. (Or at least none that I've heard of.)

But the music is great in this.

wmlk

Err, "HD-2D"? Why did the developer feel the need to create a phrase for something that's already existed since last gen? Also, the character sprites look far from HD.

Because it's a Japanese trailer, and they coin these dumb phrases.

It still looks really unique. No point getting caught up in small stuff like that.

Was already in day 1 for this game, but this demo is really good and solidifying day 1 for me. Any word on pricing yet? Hoping for $30-40 price range.

Vecks

The visuals and voice work are stellar. I'm surprised. Didn't care for the trailers, but the demo made this an instant buy for me.

Totakeke

We already knew graphics look good, but I love the tone set in the demo story, dialogue, and music. Feels much more serious than Bravely Default.

Mash83

Wow, looks absolutely amazing. I still love turn based rpgs so this is right up my alley.

The visual style is so good! Pixel art with amazing lighting.

I'm in for this day 1.

Story, Music, Gameplay and Visuals are all fantastic. Just finished Olberic's story and I'm floored. This is a Day 1 buy.

It's basically what I wanted from I Am Setsuna. An classic JRPG for the modern day. The right amount of challenge too.

Aeana

Thanks for the tips! The two extra guys weak to swords does throw a wrench into things, is it better to just keep them alive and wail on the boss or kill them ASAP before focusing on the boss?

Kill the regular guys first, use the sword attack that hits all enemies.

Also, keep in mind that you can also boost the defend command. Use that on the turn right after the boss uses abide to reduce the damage from his super strong followup attack.

wmlk

Story, Music, Gameplay and Visuals are all fantastic. Just finished Olberic's story and I'm floored. This is a Day 1 buy.

It's basically what I wanted from I Am Setsuna. An classic JRPG for the modern day. The right amount of challenge too.

Play Primrose's next.

Baleful Blade!

jph139

Played through the Primrose route in the demo. Style is top notch and the gameplay is solid, but... damn, that was some generic-ass story. I'll give them benefit of the doubt but between the cheesy dialogue and the story I've seen a million times, not too enthusiastic about the whole package there.

I do like the whole "everyone has their own abilities thing" - are we doing spoilers for the demo? I mean sure why not:
I liked not being able to figure out how to get the creepy dude away from the girl, wandering into the mountains, meeting up with the buff guy, and bringing him over to beat the shit out of the creepy dude.
I'm not sure how well that'll play when you stretch it out over a full-length game but in the bite-sized chunk it felt cool.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The music in this game is absolutely incredible.

Yasunori Nishiki is a god.

Top Bottom