• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Phoenix Ain't Looking Too Good

Nuu

Banned
As much as it pains me to say this, there is a reason why a lot of these Kickstarter studios couldn't find a publisher. If they pinned the entire project on ONE programmer, I can only imagine all the other stuff we don't know about. Incompetence tends to pop up all throughout.

BajiBoxer

Banned
At least they have a programmer nowadays, PROGRESS

A programmer working on a different game, lol. This other game will probably release, make a measly 5k or so, then the programmer quits when they can't pay him anymore.

I seriously doubt you can just switch gears to some "fun little game" and suddenly make enough money to fund a bigger game which couldn't be done with $500,000.

The incompetence of this project is staggering. It's amazing that, years later, they still think getting one programmer only, never mind one working on another game, isn't a risk.
What a bunch of idiots.

I backed this game on kickstarter for the lowest tier (thankfully) so I'm not out that much money.

I'm still not surprised that after a number of updates, there isn't much progress that I can see. To their credit, they are being transparent but even still...

laxu

This is some ass backwards game development. Usually you would, after the core gameplay design is figured out, make a prototype game that looks like crap but allows the designers and developers evolve the mechanics while artists get to work creating the visuals needed.

One programmer for something of this scale is such a terrible idea. You can get by with one guy for a simple game but not for something as large as a JRPG.

I forgot about this, this was the one that looked even sketchier then Unsung Story right? With the director who was a musician and a designer who had previously only done QA work?

patapuf

They had a "realistic" plan but forgott about Kickstarter fees, unfulfilled backer pledges and aparently it relied on one programmer who was going to work for free (and take royalties later).

That's a solid business plan if i've ever seen one.

It's professional to always have a contingency plan. Especially with Indie Game Development, since everyone is so flighty and unhinged Financially. I really like Hiroyuki's family like approach to the work though, I went in $500 deep this year just cause of that.

How about Nasir? I mean he basically invented everything in the first place and then just disappeared on royalties tied to the final fantasy name.

Projects like this is the reason why the studio I work with decided not to go with Kickstarter, because they felt they wouldn't get pledges. Shame really because I believe we have the team in place and good management but it's not my call to make.

I've read Devs saying that kickstarter is a drying up oasis for Videogames,people are realizing they are paying premium for nothing.

Projects like this is the reason why the studio I work with decided not to go with Kickstarter, because they felt they wouldn't get pledges. Shame really because I believe we have the team in place and good management but it's not my call to make.

to me it's pretty much dead.... they failed big time! it was two years ago, i considere my money gone! If the games come out one day, it will be a bonus

a little bit pissed, but i don't look back on what i spent two years ago, it happens

that's the risk with kickstarter, you're not pre-ordering a game, you're financing it, and there's no real guarantee it will succeed

Lol maybe their should remake it into a visual novel? The art and music assets are already there right? No way can one programmer do everything.

Celine

I have a hard time to imagine anyone taking seriously a project labeled "saviour of JRPGs" unless the pitch is really good (not the case here) and the team have a good track record of games delivered on shelves (again sketchy resume in this case).

CHC

Since I started to (again) type something along these lines I'll just quote my own post from like a year ago:

This is fucking pathetic, in every sense of the word's definition. Sad and desperate. They should have given refunds before they were in too deep, I would have had sympathy. As it is now they have only proven that they are ignorant, stubborn, defensive and disorganized.

Philippo

Man i completely forgot about this!
Concept and early art sounded very cool, then it went to nope the moment i saw it in actiong.
Incredible that this is still going on WITHOUT anything substantial.
This is flat out theft by now.

I firmly believe that in 90% of cases, Kickstarter for video games is a huge mistake. You end up with situations like this where people who have pipe dreams but no actual idea how to make a game get lots of money to ultimately come up with nothing.

Even now, getting a "replacement programmer" to make the game that's going to save JRPGs is laughable. It would take a whole team of people to put together a project of this scope.

90 % really? A LOT of good games came from kickstarter, the list is long.... what's your source for this number? You just saw some projects fail and then decided "ho that must be the majority" ?

If I had 3 years and a million or even half that with kickstarter fees and other expenses, I could ATLEAST have some sort of slice of gameplay to show my backers. And I have next to no game design skills! Id ask for your money back people!

zoukka

lol all programming work delayed because they couldn't get one specific programmer to start the work? HIRE A FUCKING PROGRAMMER!

The issue isn't that "most Kickstarter games are failures", it's that Kickstarter failures are so high profile. It would take fifty successful games of ordinary start-up reputation to outweigh the lukewarm reception to Yooka-Laylee and Mighty No. 9 speaks for itself.

If Shenmue or Bloodstained don't deliver, I can't see the zeitgeist surrounding crowdfunding to be as enthusiastic as it has been ever again. Crowdfunding had a really strong community aspect to it where lots of fans plugged and promoted their projects. I remember pledging $250 to Bloodstained and telling everyone I could to donate.

There used to be this feeling that "if we help create this, it will be amazing." Now, there are multiple examples of "if we help create this, it could be just okay."

Which, to be fair, was always the reality. There was no guarantee of quality, only the dream. Dare I say, we have woken from the dream and reality is sobering.

The games might not be good. Knowing that, how much would you donate?

It's very different from before where the expectation of greatness was unshakable. Even with tons of smaller games delivering at a level these high-profile games did not.

lol all programming work delayed because they couldn't get one specific programmer to start the work? HIRE A FUCKING PROGRAMMER!

That's the funniest thing. Just hire a goddamn bunch of coders, you idiots.

They were banking on getting a coder to work for free, and paying him in potential profits, which is really fucking stupid.

You pay for what you get.

vareon

At this point I agree with one of the comments in the KS update: It's time to call it quits, project failures happen. But they keep doubling down on promising to start this project even with the mismanagement and inexperience to even start this massive project. I don't think that's healthy for their future.

The issue isn't that "most Kickstarter games are failures", it's that Kickstarter failures are so high profile. It would take fifty successful games of ordinary start-up reputation to outweigh the lukewarm reception to Yooka-Laylee and Mighty No. 9 speaks for itself.

If Shenmue or Bloodstained don't deliver, I can't see the zeitgeist surrounding crowdfunding to be as enthusiastic as it has been ever again. Crowdfunding had a really strong community aspect to it where lots of fans plugged and promoted their projects. I remember pledging $250 to Bloodstained and telling everyone I could to donate.

There used to be this feeling that "if we help create this, it will be amazing." Now, there are multiple examples of "if we help create this, it could be just okay."

Which, to be fair, was always the reality. There was no guarantee of quality, only the dream. Dare I say, we have woken from the dream and reality is sobering.

It's very different from before where the expectation of greatness was unshakable. Even with tons of smaller games delivering at a level these high-profile games did not.

Cosmic Star Heroine and Thimbleweed Park was released and basically they delivered what they promised to do. But the higher profile the project was, the more attention is drawn to them--even the most miniscule of mistakes would make headlines in gaming blogs. With Kickstarter for Video Games slowing down in 2016, KS will be home for small projects asking a reasonable amount of money instead of asking 2M outright.

Piers

I mean if the lead of this game really wanted to make his idea come true then he should bite his tongue and learn programming. It's fundamentally above all else in any games development.

brawly

A Kickstarter project is having problems? No way!

I've supported one KS and that was god knows how many years ago and there's barely ever any updates with no release date sight. Never again.

CupONoodos

Neo Member
I backed this and just want my money back at this point but I'll probably never see it. I've only backed 3 kickstarter projects: Mighty No. 9, Project Phoenix, and Hyper Light Drifter. Only Hyper Light Drifter was worth backing.

Falk

that puzzling face

We also tend to remember the bad better than the good, as the old adage goes- once bitten, twice shy.

Kickstarter (well, not alone) gave us Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity for example, not even delving into the many smaller projects (as you mention) that blew up way out of their initial scale from using Kickstarter as a springboard like Undertale, etc.

We also tend to remember the bad better than the good, as the old adage goes- once bitten, twice shy.

Kickstarter (well, not alone) gave us Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity for example, not even delving into the many smaller projects (as you mention) that blew up way out of their initial scale from using Kickstarter as a springboard like Undertale, etc.

I'm definitely a small-project kind of guy. I backed $250 to Pixel Noir, for example. And not being able to hack CSH is one of my biggest regrets, because it's a game I would love to say I was part of.

And here's another thing: people always focus on Kickstarters they backed. Lots of people back these high-profile projects because they are, well, high profile. They get a lot of exposure and so lots of people back them who may not have backed a lot of projects before.

And since the mainstream only backs the Shenmues and the Yooka-Laylees, they don't even know that games like Divinity, Skullgirls, and Undertale are "Kickstarter games."

So they never even enter their consciousness. What they think of is what they personally backed. And lots of people only backed high-profile projects. And high-profile projects, so far, have not had a real home run to set the expectation firmly in the positive.

patapuf

There where still a lot of high profile sucesses. The CRPG's like Pillars and Divnity turned out great. As did the shadowrun games. Shovel Knight ect..

People often forget that these games were kickstarters because they don't really advertise it that much.

At least for long forgotten PC genres Kickstarter has been fantastic.

edit:

I agree. I actually just said that in the post above yours. We were probably writing our posts at the same time.

Yeah we did :)

There where still a lot of high profile sucesses. The CRPG's like Pillars and Divnity turned out great. As did the shadowrun games. Shovel Knight ect..

People often forget that these games were kickstarters because they don't really advertise it that much.

At least for long forgotten PC genres Kickstarter has been fantastic.

I agree. I actually just said that in the post above yours. We were probably writing our posts at the same time.

Prophane33

If they have music and assets they should plug them into RPG maker at least and release SOMETHING. Not much programming needed for that. You'd think after, let's say, 2 years of delays they would do something a bit more pragmatic just to give people (again) SOMETHING to play. I know the horror stories get more press than the successes, but stuff like this continues to make me weary of kickstarted video games.

yyr

My cardinal rules for Kickstarters are to only consider pledging for:

1) Clearly well-organized things featuring such established names that they will almost certainly succeed (Shenmue II, Bloodstained)
2) Things where there is visual evidence where the project is already underway, like a gameplay demo.

You need programmers from the get go. Seriously, they claim that the character models are done. What if they get a programmer and he's all like "I can't use these, they need to be in xxx format" or something like that, forcing them to re-do work they've already done? It's honestly like announcing a building project without an architect.

Anyway, the current situation is sad and I hope that they're eventually able to deliver something.

Purkake4

Banned
I firmly believe that in 90% of cases, Kickstarter for video games is a huge mistake. You end up with situations like this where people who have pipe dreams but no actual idea how to make a game get lots of money to ultimately come up with nothing.

Even now, getting a "replacement programmer" to make the game that's going to save JRPGs is laughable. It would take a whole team of people to put together a project of this scope.
Just because a project is funded and released doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake.

Some great games have come from Kickstarter. Hyper Light Drifter was one of my favorite games last year. But there have been a lot of duds or lackluster games, not to mention the ones that never even make it off the ground.
Seems like a good time to post Stump's google doc with all the major and semi-major gaming kickstarters and their current status.

There's a fair share of stinkers and failed projects, but considering that the vast majority of these games would have never seen the light of day without kickstarter, it certainly seems worth it. Over time the incompetent developers will get weeded out and people will be more wary of projects with little to show.

Top Bottom