• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesters throw Pepsi cans at police during May Day demonstrations

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/02/protestors-troll-pepsi-by-thowing-cans-at-police-during-may-day-demonstrations?CMP=fb_gu

A May Day protest in Portland has been shut down after demonstrators threw full cans of Pepsi at officers, with one hitting a medic, according to police in the US city.

On Monday, as the pro-labor, anti-Trump rally in Oregon descended into violence, Portland police tweeted that demonstrators had started hurling objects including full Pepsi cans at officers.

Shortly later the protest’s permit was revoked and police moved in to shut it down. Three people were arrested.

And in case you're wondering, yes, someone tried to pull a Jenner:

Earlier in the day police had ignored a protester offering a can of Pepsi.

C-xfccyXUAARVjU.jpg

I kinda knew something like this would happen when that stupid ad was released. Don't think this will be the last time we see this.

conpfreak

Honestly, what was Pepsi thinking with that ad in the first place? Things like that go viral within moments, and now they have a PR disaster. I'm sure there's a sales uptick in some areas from the backlash based on word of mouth, but the overall image hit is damaging.

How have Pepsi sales been since the ad released? A lot of people have been buying Pepsi ironically now, I wonder if that has helped their sales

Pepsi is a corporation that made a tone deaf ad. The fact that people seem morally disappointed in them is bizarre to me. If they'd made a more appealing ad about the spirit of protest against over-policing, it would've been for the same cynical motivations and just as tasteless.

These people throwing cans at officers are discrediting a serious message about civil rights with physical violence.

Honestly, what was Pepsi thinking with that ad in the first place? Things like that go viral within moments, and now they have a PR disaster. I'm sure there's a sales uptick in some areas from the backlash based on word of mouth, but the overall image hit is damaging.

A PR disaster?

People are buying pepsi now, what a success!

Fury451

Banned
oh c'mon. this is pretty hilarious.

The handing of one? Okay, maybe, it's mocking the police and distracting from the message though.

Throwing cans of Pepsi? Nothing positive comes of that because now the message is buried by the actions.

Amory

Tone deaf, opportunistic bullshit commercial.

"Hey what if we try to help solve the police brutality issue?"

Shut the fuck up Pepsi you're a soda. Go make a beach commercial. Looking at you too, Heineken.

bjork

I've been drinking Pepsi for far too long to stop now, but back in my day they had ads with Bo Jackson and the Spice Girls and cool shit like that.

Dartastic

I work a couple blocks from where all this shit was going down. Was pretty nuts. Saw SWAT cars coming out, heard large "bangs" from... something. Not fun.

Fuchsdh

Pepsi is a corporation that made a tone deaf ad. The fact that people seem morally disappointed in them is bizarre to me. If they'd made a more appealing ad about the spirit of protest against over-policing, it would've been for the same cynical motivations and just as tasteless.

These people throwing cans at officers are discrediting a serious message about civil rights with physical violence.

It's a May Day protest in the US. I don't think there's really a larger message about civil rights within the framework of reform. It's a commemoration and hope for workers' revolution. There's no real message to lose, even before you get into the perennial questions of what actions during a protest are counterproductive or "invalidate" the message.

It's a May Day protest in the US. I don't think there's really a larger message about civil rights within the framework of reform. It's a commemoration and hope for workers' revolution. There's no real message to lose, even before you get into the perennial questions of what actions during a protest are counterproductive or "invalidate" the message.

I didn't say physical violence 'invalidates', I said it discredits. That's not a perennial question, it's a historical and political fact.

Honestly don't see how throwing soda cans can be anything other than disturbing. I wonder how you'd all respond being on the receiving end of such an attack.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can we talk about the dumb cunts throwing full cans of soda at people? Especially medics? Because I feel like we are focussing on the wrong thing here.

D i Z

People have been throwing full cans of soda at demonstrations for decades. Only difference between then and now is that people that don't go to demonstrations know that it's a thing and think that they're being clever when they spot it.

Top Bottom