• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype Controller Models

Deft Beck

Yep it was showcased with the Direct Xbox, which god knows how the hardware engineers managed to get that into a functional shape

It looks like the components sit horizontally in the middle of the shell and the rest just stands up.

Given how small it was I have doubts on whether they were ever seriously going to use it

con113ooytu83.jpg

From what I remember reading no one outside of Sony ever got to hold the thing.

It was really that small? Holy shit.

BiggNife

wii-u-controller-proto-1.jpg

This was Project Cafe slapped together

Likewise, the first DS devkits that were used to make Mario and Luigi: Partners in time literally had a GBA and a GBA SP case slapped together with a Super famicom controller

There isn't even a touch screen on this, which is probably why PiT had very little touch screen usage.

(I feel like there is a higher res version of this pic somewhere but in a classic case of gaf-internet-gaf, I can only find this image at this res on GIS, which links to another gaf thread)

Likewise, the first DS devkits that were used to make Mario and Luigi: Partners in time literally had a GBA and a GBA SP case slapped together with a Super famicom controller

There isn't even a touch screen on this, which is probably why PiT had very little touch screen usage.

(I feel like there is a higher res version of this pic somewhere but in a classic case of gaf-internet-gaf, I can only find this image at this res on GIS, which links to another gaf thread)

mTS5bXR.gif

Given how small it was I have doubts on whether they were ever seriously going to use it

con113ooytu83.jpg

I remember reading a report of someone handling it. they said the stupid looking design was because of ergonomics and it let your wrists rest more naturally instead of having them at a constant 45 degree angle, making it more comfortable to use

I wish I could remember where I read it tho so I could source it

All these prototype controllers that have the split/break apart design but never make it to shelves make me so sad.

Say what you will about motion gaming and waggle and all that shit but playing games with a Wii Remote in my right hand, Nunchuk in my left, both hands resting at my sides is THE most comfortable I've ever been while playing a game. Absolutely lazy slouch gaming at its finest.

All these prototype controllers that have the split/break apart design but never make it to shelves make me so sad.

Say what you will about motion gaming and waggle and all that shit but playing games with a Wii Remote in my right hand, Nunchuk in my left, both hands resting at my sides is THE most comfortable I've ever been while playing a game. Absolutely lazy slouch gaming at its finest.
I second this...maybe one day in the future is lazy sobs will get our dream comfort controller. Comfortroller. I like it.

I remember reading a report of someone handling it. they said the stupid looking design was because of ergonomics and it let your wrists rest more naturally instead of having them at a constant 45 degree angle, making it more comfortable to use

I wish I could remember where I read it tho so I could source it

I always thought it was just a design and nothing more. Sucks this never made it to market. Always really liked the design of that controller.

Borman

They are the Play Station pads not PSX.

No, they are PSX pads. I own one. Seen here with a PS3 and PS4 prototype controller, the latter of which Ive sold on.

I1KATLD.jpg

An Xbox Alpha Controller on Microsoft campus, more Sega love and a d-pad that looks like a cottage pie

I own one of these too. They were Interact Hammerhead controllers.

A nearly finished Duke, codenamed Dakota

Not sure if this is MT's Alamo or Dakota. Have these as well hah.

the phantom never existed.

It does. Or at least, PC's in those cases do.

Guess Who

Banned
Even the final Xbox controller had very heavy Dreamcast influence - the shape, the triggers, the memory card slots, the multicolor ABXY layout, etc. It was very Dreamcasty.

Don't forget the Wii U gamepad originally had 3DS style analog nubs rather than clickable sticks.

BQs6OMO.png

con113ooytu83.jpg

Oh wow, I've never seen that picture before. That's diminutive, like a scale model of a real controller or something :p

Ric Flair

Banned

con113ooytu83.jpg

The fuck? It was a tiny model??
%3Fformat%3D500w

I remember reading about it in a gaming mag, seeing the pics and imagining it to be a life-size model. I would love to see how that was set up at e3.

TheYanger

naw it looks cool as shit, probably not the most comfortable thing though

on the contrary, it looks very similar to the alps interactive PS1 controller, which is BY FAR the most comfortable controller I've ever owned. I always thought the outrage that made them not pursue this was ridiculous, the DS3 ended up being oen of the least innovative controllers around, and this thing looked amazingly comfortable given that I had a vague reference point.

edit: The alps

okKMbHq.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
No, they are PSX pads. I own one. Seen here with a PS3 and PS4 prototype controller, the latter of which Ive sold on.
PSX is a PS2 system with built in DVR. Some of those controllers are the Prototype Play Station controllers, later turned to prototype PS1 controllers. The one you own was a prototype PlayStation 1 controller.

Edit: But of course the original PS1 was also called PSX.

Piggus

I'm surprised someone hasn't 3D printed the PS3 boomerang controller to test weather or not it's actually comfortable to hold.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
An Xbox Alpha Controller on Microsoft campus, more Sega love and a d-pad that looks like a cottage pie

Looks a bit like the old 3Dfx HammerheadFX controller.

hammerhead_fx_01.JPG

hammerhead_fx_02.JPG

Loved that thing. It was huge and kinda flakey but analog controllers were rather new in 1998, especially for PC, and it made playing Rayman 2: The Great Escape and Toy Story 2 an absolutely joy on my PC.

Borman

PSX is a PS2 system with built in DVR. Some of those controllers are the Prototype Play Station controllers, later turned to prototype PS1 controllers. The one you own was a prototype PlayStation 1 controller.

Edit: But of course the original PS1 was also called PSX.

PSX being the prototype PS1, which is what this would have gone to, yeah. The Play Station refers more to the SNES system at this point, which by all indications used Super Famicom pads with branding. I guess I was just trying to highlight they were more for the PS1 development, rather than the Nintendo deal, despite their funky logos and use of the "Play Station" name.

TheYanger

Here's a good explanation of what Sony was thinking:

http://megagames.com/news/ps3-controller-tutorial

silly article, bitches about steering wheel comfort, maybe it's a bad analogy in terms of comfort, but the hand position is basically spot on, and if a steering wheel could be cut into quarters and just sit in your lap it would be VERY comfortable to hold, the upright position is what makes it annoying, not the shape. Also, japanese controllers are(were?) usually smaller, american version would've surely been bigger.

Steam Controller:
lS6OLuE.jpg
Would've been interesting if they had kept the trackball. I remember reading about an early prototype that had the ball come out the back for more control, and the way they described it sounded like fun. Glad they went with the trackpad, though.

I've always wanted to try that thing, I mean, maybe it was actually an amazing controller. I can't imagine any other reason Sony would create something so obviously dumb looking.
I remember reading at the time that the boomerang controller was actually really comfortable and a joy to use but of course people thought it looked terrible so they went back to the classic ds style.

lherre

Accurate
I don't remember it these ones are prototypes but the Sixaxis that comes with early ps3 devkits has light in the ps button (not sure why they ditched later).

Top Bottom