• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype Controller Models

DemonNite

0KbiNeG.jpg

BELIEVE!

AmyS

I think there were at least two different prototype Super Famicom systems and controllers before the final designs.

ib0ooCH.jpg

JRGn1RS.jpg

gCzRG2N.jpg
qwwMrX0.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The concept of the Xbox controller makes me wonder if Microsoft had any intention to straight up buy SEGA to enter the console space, rather than just partnering with them for exclusives as they ended up doing.

Those were some amazing exclusives tho, gimme JSRF and PDO HD, SEGA :(

Nah, it's big but not that big (I mean like a scanner or printer). But I can assure you it's heavy.

Damn you have one? Awesome. What a collectors piece, right there.

Thinking back to the OP with the xbox dc pads, that makes a lot of sense, I remember the plan at one point was for the xbox to be dc compatible but they couldn't thrash out a deal with Sega? The vmu compatibility seems to hold up this theory here.

HotHamBoy

A 3DS prototype with modular parts

I love this thread and all the cool prototypes, but of all the "coulda been's" this is the most appealing. I would love to be able to swap positions. Also, gimme dat nub. Fuck the circle pad.

(separated SFC from GBA stuff)

That's indeed Project Atlantis..

I'm guessing Oxygen was probably the actual GBA codename or pre-production name (2000-2001) -- Much different and also much later than Atlantis (1995-1996).

I never knew about this. What happened? Why did they choose to go with GBC instead?

SOR5

(separated SFC from GBA stuff)

That's indeed Project Atlantis..

I'm guessing Oxygen was probably the actual GBA codename or pre-production name (2000-2001) -- Much different and also much later than Atlantis (1995-1996).

Ah so Oxygen is the real GBA but Atlantis is the sort of next step up that never was

Drain You

Likewise, the first DS devkits that were used to make Mario and Luigi: Partners in time literally had a GBA and a GBA SP case slapped together with a Super famicom controller

There isn't even a touch screen on this, which is probably why PiT had very little touch screen usage.

(I feel like there is a higher res version of this pic somewhere but in a classic case of gaf-internet-gaf, I can only find this image at this res on GIS, which links to another gaf thread)

I can't believe this was a thing. I hope someone owns one

I love this thread and all the cool prototypes, but of all the "coulda been's" this is the most appealing. I would love to be able to swap positions. Also, gimme dat nub. Fuck the circle pad.

I never knew about this. What happened? Why did they choose to go with GBC instead?

I think they changed their business plan after Pokemon exploded in popularity. Pokemon gave the original Game Boy a second wind in sales on a global scale that Nintendo didn't really see coming, and they decided to expand the original Game Boy with a colour screen and a minor hardware bump to capitalize on Pokemon's success. The Game Boy Color really was Nintendo's stop gap until it's successor arrived.

But man, I really do remember all of the Project Atlantis talk back in the day and I always assumed it was the GBA as Project Atlantis was pegged as a 32bit machine.

edit: The alps

okKMbHq.jpg

There was also a PC version of this game pad released that used USB. I swear it was either released by Microsoft, Logitech or the long defunct Gravis. I know I have seen this exact design sold as a PC game pad.

Atomski

Looking at the Dreamcast controllers it just reminds me man.. what would the dreamcast have been like if it was dual stick.

SOR5

gen032.jpg

Something mysterious from back on the official website when Gamecube was called Star Cube for a few days

AmyS

Ah so Oxygen is the real GBA but Atlantis is the sort of next step up that never was

Going by the reports from the time (obviously not actually knowing what went on in Nintendo Japan R&D) the Atlantis was a much more ambitious handheld than what the Game Boy Advance was.
Not only that, but Atlantis preceded GBA by roughly 5 years.

Look at the reported processor and clock speeds choices for Atlantis. Even the slowest choice would have been far faster than the GBA.

LRv0ANY.jpg

OlN9dCU.jpg

BTW, the Game Boy Color (released in 1998) was nothing more than a stop gap, a slightly faster, tweaked 8-bit Game Boy with a color screen.
GBC wasn't nearly as powerful as the Atari Lynx released in 1989, the NEC Turbo Express of 1990 or even the Sega Game Gear of 1990-1991.

Project Atlantis was supposed to be a very powerful 32-bit handheld with both 2D and some 3D graphics capability. The Game Boy Advance was more like 2X SNES graphics power and 16 MHz CPU.

panda-zebra

Used to own a prototype Saturn stick and multi-player adaptor, can't find the photos right now. Very similar to this sort of thing:

8b3ce4436d576e67637865c2f78a8cdc.jpg

The guts inside were not the same as production models, they were much more primitive IIRC.

SOR5

Some weird shit called the Porta Drive from Sega

Assembler Games says:
Television and VTR
Upload of video to unit cartridge
TV cartridge for TV use
Game cartridge
Screen rotates for pistol grip style (think of the LCD gun in soul hackers)
Screen can be used in an "arcade" arrangement
Price 24,800 yen

Project Atlantis was supposed to be a very powerful 32-bit handheld with both 2D and some 3D graphics capability. The Game Boy Advance was more like 2X SNES graphics power and 16 MHz CPU.

The GBA is still a 32bit machine, the CPU is a 32bit ARM7 and is compatible, if not better than the ARM60 in the Panasonic 3DO. Though the 3DO still has a lot of support chips that give it an edge over the GBA. The GBA CPU can still do floating point calculations and 3D and it is quite capable of doing polygon 3D graphics.

Going by the reports from the time (obviously not actually knowing what went on in Nintendo Japan R&D) the Atlantis was a much more ambitious handheld than what the Game Boy Advance was.Not only that, but Atlantis preceded GBA by roughly 5 years.

Look at the reported processor and clock speeds choices for Atlantis. Even the slowest choice would have been far faster than the GBA.

LRv0ANY.jpg

BTW, the Game Boy Color (released in 1998) was nothing more than a stop gap, a slightly faster, tweaked 8-bit Game Boy with a color screen. GBC wasn't nearly as powerful as the Atari Lynx released in 1989, the NEC Turbo Express of 1990 or even the Sega Game Gear of 1990-1991.

Woah, interesting. Didn't now that they were trying to put a StongARM CPU into their system. Maybe Nintendo had issues getting them manufactured in large quantities? Or perhaps they couldn't meet the 30hour battery life requirement? But they went with the ARM7TDMI instead, which was produced in mass quantities for the Nokia phones of the time. I'm guessing since the ARM7 was already in mass production thanks to Nokia, Nintendo could get orders on the cheap.

Before Kinect was decided on the direction for motion controlling on the Xbox 360, Microsoft were developing their own Wii motes.

Bring these out now as a replacement for the keybaord in FPSs! I use a psmove nav controller and mouse ATM but would love to have a plug and play solution instead of having to install dualshock drivers etc.

Wasn't Oxygen the GameBoy micro? At the very least, I know the three-digit product code prefix used for the console and its accessories was "OXY".

AmyS

The GBA is still a 32bit machine, the CPU is a 32bit ARM7 and is compatible, if not better than the ARM60 in the Panasonic 3DO. Though the 3DO still has a lot of support chips that give it an edge over the GBA. The GBA CPU can still do floating point calculations and 3D and it is quite capable of doing polygon 3D graphics.

It's true GBA is a 32-bit machine. The ARM processor was 32-bit, 16+ MHz. The sprite handling (256) was basically 2X SNES (128). and there's other things like memory and tweaks here and there.

I'm thinking that the 2D/3D power that Nintendo was thinking about with Atlantis in 1995 had to wait until GBA's successor, the DS, almost a decade later, to be feasible.

Woah, interesting. Didn't now that they were trying to put a StongARM CPU into their system. Maybe Nintendo had issues getting them manufactured in large quantities? Or perhaps they couldn't meet the 30hour battery life requirement? But they went with the ARM7TDMI instead, which was produced in mass quantities for the Nokia phones of the time. I'm guessing since the ARM7 was already in mass production thanks to Nokia, Nintendo could get orders on the cheap.

I wish somebody with perhaps 2nd/3rd-hand knowledge on Nintendo's handheld R&D in the mid-late 90s could tell us more.

Guess Who

Banned
My understanding is that the reason Nintendo's Atlantis didn't pan out in the 90s is because one it was fucking massive (as you can see in that pic posted, that's a DS lite next to it for scale), and two the battery life was awful.

My understanding is that the reason Nintendo's Atlantis didn't pan out in the 90s is because one it was fucking massive (as you can see in that pic posted, that's a DS lite next to it for scale), and two the battery life was awful.

Personally, I would have loved the large size. But yeah, I could see Nintendo putting it on hold because of the battery life. They may have even sat on it just waiting to see if later iterations of the StongARM CPU could drop in die size/ power consumption. The Game Boy Color really was a simple compromise to keep the Game Boy line going to aide the success of Pokemon.

It's true GBA is a 32-bit machine. The ARM processor was 32-bit, 16+ MHz. The sprite handling (256) was basically 2X SNES (128). and there's other things like memory and tweaks here and there.

I'm thinking that the 2D/3D power that Nintendo was thinking about with Atlantis in 1995 had to wait until GBA's successor, the DS, almost a decade later, to be feasible.

That is very true. It did take them over a decade to release a handheld that was capable of producing graphics that they planned for back in 1995. Though The Virtual Boy was a pretty capable machine as well when it came to graphics, ad that was 1995.

Borman

I just looked through eBay for fun, and these are prototype controllers for the PS1 and PS3 respectively. Apparently Sony had been experimenting with wireless controllers for a while before the PS3.

First one is a PS3 controller, showed a picture of that earlier. Second one is third party junk.

So Seamus Blackley posted these on twitter, the first designs for the original Xbox controller from Nov. 1999

Notice the VMU and swirls? They seem to have had a really heavy Dreamcast influence back then, say what you want about the Duke and beyond but i'm happy as hell we got those instead.

I wonder if there actually exists a Dreamcast 2 prototype from the early MS stuff that exists in some sort of prototype state. Even if it's just the shell.

Top Bottom