• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS.Blog: The Long Path to Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

Link.

Posted by Hiroaki Kato Producer, Square Enix

The origin of Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age begins with the original Final Fantasy XII which was released on PS2 in 2006. This game had the honor of receiving many awards with its unique game system that granted players great freedom and strategic ability, and by its graphical expressiveness that utilized the hardware’s capability to the fullest, in the world called Ivalice that inherited the genes of Final Fantasy Tactics.

The core members from the original development team got together this time to develop Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age, but the first thing that we thought was “to not only improve visual and sound expression, but also to reconstruct the game design itself so that the players can experience a new Final Fantasy XII as a modern game.”

We created this game as a new game for PS4 by devising multiple mechanics based on the Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System that was only released in Japan in 2007. It featured a more comfortable gameplay experience for our players, including changes to the growth system and the battle design where different strategies can be used compared to the original Final Fantasy XII. I’m sure that this experience will surpass the memories of those who played the original Final Fantasy XII. For those playing for the first time, this will be an experience like never before.

In this blog I’ll focus on three points:

World views and new key art.
New and recreated visuals and sound.
Reconstruction of the game design, and a new future.

For the purposes of this article, I’ll write Final Fantasy XII as FFXII, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System as FFXII IZJS, and Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age as FFXII TZA.

Falchion

Hopefully this is a big enough success that they'll do these midrange remasters for other entries of the series. Somewhere between a full remake like FFVII and just an HD remaster.

Slaythe

Hopefully this is a big enough success that they'll do these midrange remasters for other entries of the series. Somewhere between a full remake like FFVII and just an HD remaster.

I mean, that only works with their games that are easily "remastered".

FF12 fits right there.

You're not gonna get anything for FF8 or 6 because it'd be the same as doing a full remake.

So the candidates are really limited.

Matski

Neo Member
General rule-of-thumb from what's been said by Square's management recently; the most highly requested games from the PS1 generation or before will get remade, anything suggested from PS2 era onwards is going to be remastered instead.

I've been waiting to play this version of the game since I heard about it all those years ago. Can't wait to finally get my hands on it

Lime

I love these retrospectives on classic games, thanks for posting. I'm really looking forward to the game in July (and PC next year probably)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hype !

Also, just a reminder that this game *will* have Pro support. They mentioned the game will run on higher (not specified how high) resolution on Pro's in the last article.

Top Bottom