• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Blog Video: Developers talk about the Dual Shock 4

Dinjooh

ibp7zGICXKFn6b.gif

I really liked the ending transition.

Thats pretty awesome, and here I thought just being able to identify player 2 so people arent confused as hell passing the controller around in fighting or sports games was a great feature(since people like different button configurations)

Personally I don't even find the feature I mentioned that useful since I hardly ever play local multi, it's just refreshing to see Sony trying to dot the i's and cross the t's for once.

Has the possibility of using a stylus or your finger on the touch pad to draw or write appear on screen been banter about? is it possible? if so could this be used in a game like Drive Club or Gran Turismo, instead of layers like Forza?

Mik_Pad

Banned
I'm using an idea from someone else, but:

Imagine playing a "true" Silent Hill game at night, the lights on your room are off. The character is holding a flashlight, the light on your DS4 is white too. The flashligh starts to malfunction, flicking and then goes off, the same thing happen to the DS4.

Silence, everthing is dark, you start hearing radio static that comes from the DS4, you know some monsters are near. If you want to try to "fix" the flashlight you have to hit the DS4, as you would to with a real flashlight. With each hit the flashlight turn on, and then off again, the static increases... you get the idea.
That is a really good idea, I hope we see stuff like this instead of swipe to kill or stuff like that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Browser and UI interaction alone already make the touchpad a solid addition to an already awesome looking controller. Swipe and pinch to zoom on a RPG map, anyone?

Loris146

I really like new DS 4. Sony fix all problems with DS 3 .Share button will be amazing. ( drift on Gran Turismo show maybe)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I still hate the way it looks. Too much stuff getting in the way of comfort. :/

(That and I want the stick placements FINALLY fixed. Doesn't mean the D-pad has to go where the left-thumbstick currently is, but I don't want to smash my thumbs together when strafing right and looking left in shooters anymore, Sony.)

Hoo-doo

Banned

(That and I want the stick placements FINALLY fixed. Doesn't mean the D-pad has to go where the left-thumbstick currently is, but I don't want to smash my thumbs together when strafing right and looking left in shooters anymore, Sony.)

What makes you think it's not comfortable? You haven't held it. Nobody here has.

Also, you're using controllers wrong if you're "smashing" your thumbs together. The fuck?
They did increase the distance between the sticks though, so your issue might already be fixed.

flattie

Obviously the proof is in the pudding, but it looks like not only are the sticks further apart, they are shorter too - this should help for a start. The handles seem to suggest you'll be coming up under the sticks, rather than moving your thumbs across too. I'd be surprised if as many people continue to have trouble bashing thumbs with this controller - but I could be wrong.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
looks pretty solid, i'm excited to use it as a PC gamepad. probably will turn off the light & mic, though.

touchscreen w / click is going to super useful, though. navigating maps, making PC games easier to control, browsers, etc.

Oh god why does everything nowadays look like an Apple ad? *bangs head on wall*

what? don't be weird dude

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Wait wait so it's not a touchscreen? It might be that i'm techno-illiterate but I assumed it was a touch screen when they revealed it having a resolution of 1920x900.

Izick

Oh and I'm super-happy they seem to have kept the internal battery. I fucking hate having to dump batteries into my 360 controller every few weeks, and the Charge and Play kits are super shitty, and prone to just shitting out.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wait wait so it's not a touchscreen? It might be that i'm techno-illiterate but I assumed it was a touch screen when they revealed it having a resolution of 1920x900.
It's a pad. My understanding is the resolution specs depict how many touch points it has/sensitivity.

BHK3

Banned
I'm using an idea from someone else, but:

Imagine playing a "true" Silent Hill game at night, the lights on your room are off. The character is holding a flashlight, the light on your DS4 is white too. The flashligh starts to malfunction, flicking and then goes off, the same thing happen to the DS4.

Silence, everthing is dark, you start hearing radio static that comes from the DS4, you know some monsters are near. If you want to try to "fix" the flashlight you have to hit the DS4, as you would to with a real flashlight. With each hit the flashlight turn on, and then off again, the static increases... you get the idea.
I highly doubt anything creative will be used for the light or the speaker. DS3 had pretty good rumble to the point where "you can tell where the explosions are happening on the map" yet no one used it except for metal gear solid iirc. Wii's been out forever and I never heard of its speaker getting used for anything that wasn't just the sound of coins being picked up or the lightsaber noise when you swing it.

I see it getting used for a year or so then getting ignored by developers, sixaxis all over again.

dangeROSS

Having PC support for the controller would be great. I would think Sony and Microsoft would both like their controllers to be PC compatible. That would more potential buyers for your product at that point, right?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Having PC support for the controller would be great. I would think Sony and Microsoft would both like their controllers to be PC compatible. That would more potential buyers for your product at that point, right?
I can see them releasing the driver this time around cause of Gaikai. They'll need a controller option for people playing on a PC, might as well make it the DS4.

VanWinkle

That alone would have added AT LEAST $50 to the price. That's a insane resolution for a screen of that size. But no, touch pads have resolutions too. They correspond to how many points of touch input; the higher the resolution of the touch area, the more accurate it is.

I highly doubt anything creative will be used for the light or the speaker. DS3 had pretty good rumble to the point where "you can tell where the explosions are happening on the map" yet no one used it except for metal gear solid iirc. Wii's been out forever and I never heard of its speaker getting used for anything that wasn't just the sound of coins being picked up or the lightsaber noise when you swing it.

I see it getting used for a year or so then getting ignored by developers, sixaxis all over again.

You haven't played No More Heroes then. When the character is using his cellphone you put the wiimote up to your ear to hear the call. It's a small touch but it's REALLY cool the first time you experience it. Just a small touch that goes a long way in terms of immersion

Splint

I just hope the share features arent crappy. I want 1080p recording and streaming and the file to edit on my own or upload to my youtube account.

Mikey Jr.

My thoughts:

1. That touchpad looks like the most useless fucking thing. Some people say "its for mobile games!" except only for that to work, you have to SEE what you are touching. Playing bejeweled on that touchpad is going to be essentially impossible.

2. That speaker again is fucking worthless. Yeah, because it was so fantastic on the Wii remote...

My fix:

1. Put a screen where that touchpad is. Make it so that I can do basic stuff on there, not specifically play games on there. If not, then put in a mini keyboard in that space. Would much rather have that to be honest.

2. Trash the speaker. Its a garbage idea. Put a mic there instead, so everyone can have a microphone.

Izick

My thoughts:

1. That touchpad looks like the most useless fucking thing. Some people say "its for mobile games!" except only for that to work, you have to SEE what you are touching. Playing bejeweled on that touchpad is going to be essentially impossible.

2. That speaker again is fucking worthless. Yeah, because it was so fantastic on the Wii remote...

My fix:

1. Put a screen where that touchpad is. Make it so that I can do basic stuff on there, not specifically play games on there. If not, then put in a mini keyboard in that space. Would much rather have that to be honest.

2. Trash the speaker. Its a garbage idea. Put a mic there instead, so everyone can have a microphone.

I agree with this, although the touchpad could be cool for UI/navigation stuff.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The touchpad will be great for soccer games like on the Vita I think.
Or like on the Wii U gamepad.

We'll have to see how accessible the corners of that touchpad are while in play, as they are a bit out of the way from the buttons where your thumb rests.

Maybe they'll have a system wide switch or an in-game switch that allows the speaker to act like a mic in certain cases.

Mikey Jr.

Or like on the Wii U gamepad.

We'll have to see how accessible the corners of that touchpad are while in play, as they are a bit out of the way from the buttons where your thumb rests.

Maybe they'll have a system wide switch or an in-game switch that allows the speaker to act like a mic in certain cases.

Can a speaker turn into a mic? Honest question.

Tenumi

Banned
The touchpad to me seems fine. I can see it getting used decently, but not really as a focus such for games. The speaker, however, seems a little tacked on. All honestly, I can't think of a single use for that where it would be better than using the normal sound output.

Also, that split screen mention seems like a great idea to me. In the end, when hanging out with a friend, its a lot easier to just bring a controller than lugging around a TV, console, and more.

BossLackey

Gold Member
inFamous 1 and 2 says you're wrong

huge deadzones are he fault of the developer, not the controller

So you came up with two examples that aren't shooters. Great.

In all seriousness, I (somewhat) agree. But it doesn't make a difference who's doing it if all the end products control like an N64.

Top Bottom