• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus July offerings for NA

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Cool. Thanks. Happy to be made to look like an idiot here.

Knew I was right to hold off on Strider. Is this a concern for devs? I imagine developers of digital only/smaller titles will lose a lot of sales from people like myself who will now hold off until the game is free or heavily discounted?

I mean, I was going to day one strider on either PS4 or One and at the last minute thought to myself that it will probably end up free on one of them.

Nice! I was trying to decide on my next game and Strider, Muramasa, and Dead Space 3 were all on my short list. Now I don't have to decide.

Oneself

I was waiting for AF to be patched in Strider PS4 before buying it but it won't be a problem anymore. ;)

Happy with DS3 too, the PS3 offerings are almost always great it seems...

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I can't possibly be the only one upset (extremely annoyed) about not getting a not previously released game for the PS4 am I?

Another good month for EU PS+.

Also listen to those saying Dead Space 3 is a good game because it is, it might not be as good as 1 and 2 but its still worth playing it if you are a fan of the series. The microtransaction/co-op hate that spread through here was vastly un called for in my opinion. I cant think of one time where i thought "They made this game only to be played in co-op/you have to buy microtransactions to win".

Noi

Knew I was right to hold off on Strider. Is this a concern for devs? I imagine developers of digital only/smaller titles will lose a lot of sales from people like myself who will now hold off until the game is free or heavily discounted?

I mean, I was going to day one strider on either PS4 or One and at the last minute thought to myself that it will probably end up free on one of them.

Sony makes a deal with whatever developer agrees to putting up their game on PS+, so they're compensated in a way. There's been devs who've asked people to claim the game on PS+ even if they had no intention of actually playing it.

I can't possibly be the only one upset (extremely annoyed) about not getting a not previously released game for the PS4 am I?

What? Why would we be extremely annoyed about that? That's how it always is on PS3, and I think we've been lucky to ever have PS4 games launch for free with PS+. It's not something I expect all the time. What's the big deal?

Vashetti

Banned

The library on PS4 is tiny compared to PS3 and Vita, so there's only a small pool of games to choose from to give away on Plus.

It was quite obvious that anyone buying those digital titles should expect them to be given on Plus fairly soon.

coolasj19

Don't understand what you mean. I'm leaning towards crazy.
Resogun, Contrast, Outlast, Don't Starve, Pixeljunk Shooter, Mercenary Kings, Dead Nation, Stick It To The Man. All of these games were games that weren't available for purchase before they arrived on PS+. When they expanded the PS4 selection to two games a month, a previously unreleased on PS4 game (Pixeljunk Shooter) was still in the line-up. This month it seems like the precedent is broken and they can use both slots for already released games. Personally, this is a huge value detraction. At 2 games a month it's incredibly likely that if I just skip purchasing games I want, it's even more possible they'll end up on PS+. I enjoyed getting a completely new game tons, but it seems like nobody else cares. And that's a shame.
What? Why would we be extremely annoyed about that? That's how it always is on PS3, and I think we've been lucky to ever have PS4 games launch for free with PS+. It's not something I expect all the time. What's the big deal?
Yeah, I am extremely pleased with PS+. But I thought they'd keep the "new game once a month" thing as a staple. I guess it didn't create enough buzz to complete stiffle the developers revenue line.
The library on PS4 is tiny compared to PS3 and Vita, so there's only a small pool of games to choose from to give away on Plus.
It was quite obvious that anyone buying those digital titles should expect them to be given on Plus fairly soon.
A huge of appeal of PS+ is (was) getting games when they come out immediately, on plus (I'm actually hyped for Binding of Isaac and Secret Ponchos). I'm not peeved about getting games I already own, that's just a reality of the situation, it has been for years. I'm peeved about not getting games I don't own.

Y'all aren't addressing my problem. One person says PS+ in the first months is a feat in itself. The other says the game pool is small. Both of which I agree with. I'm saying, I want a new game every month, like we've been getting since November.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

It will take time. Even if Sony released Killzone, knack, Tombraider, Infamous, Watchdogs and Wolfenstein in the next few months, more people will have played them than not. Give it until the end of 2015 and then perhaps Sony will have a big enough library of games to offer that 'less' people will already have played.

You can't and never will please everyone though.

awesome. i was gonna buy strider when it came out but played the demo and decided against it. but on PS+ i'd be happy to play it more. I'll get towerfall and never play it because i don't game locally with anyone. Muramasa looks cool and doki doki could be something to screw around with.

i like it.

coolasj19

It will take time. Even if Sony released Killzone, knack, Tombraider, Infamous, Watchdogs and Wolfenstein in the next few months, more people will have played them than not. Give it until the end of 2015 and then perhaps Sony will have a big enough library of games to offer that 'less' people will already have played.
Holy. Cow. You aren't reading are you?
I want a new, not previously released, game for PS+ on PS4. Like we've been getting since November.

I don't want big AAA games. I never brought that up. I want Secret Ponchos and Binding of Isaac on release day. Not 6 months down the line. I don't care about owning games that go on PS+. I care about getting a game on PS+ that I couldn't have possibly owned already.

Cool. Thanks. Happy to be made to look like an idiot here.

I'm the same, every since I got ps plus and now games with gold I only buy Nintendo games and the really big AAA games. Ps plus has made me hesitant to buy smaller games or middle tier games

ILoveBish

I want a new, not previously released, game for PS+ on PS4. Like we've been getting since November.

I don't want big AAA games. I never brought that up. I want Secret Ponchos and Binding of Isaac on release day. Not 6 months down the line. I don't care about owning games that go on PS+. I care about getting a game on PS+ that I couldn't have possibly owned already.

Sounds like you are unhappy. Cancel your PS+ sub and move on? This month is incredible for ps4 as far as I am concerned. So pleased.

Stoze

Between Trine 2, Pixeljunk Shooter, and Towerfall, I may have to pick up a PS4 controller for couch co-op and versus. They're so damn pricey though.

The Vita plus offerings have been on fire since I joined, too bad I don't own one.

coolasj19

Yeah, I am extremely pleased with PS+. But I thought they'd keep the "new game once a month" thing as a staple. I guess it didn't create enough buzz to complete stiffle the developers revenue line.
Read this. Use your eyes and read the part where it says I'm happy with PS+.
Sounds like you are unhappy. Cancel your PS+ sub and move on? This month is incredible for ps4 as far as I am concerned. So pleased.
So can I not complain here? Is anyone actually reading my posts? Because no one has even responded to the main point I'm trying to make.

ILoveBish

So can I not complain here? Is anyone actually reading my posts? Because no one has even responded to the main point I'm trying to make.

I got your main point, but Sony never said they would only be giving out new unreleased games for the life of the service. At the beginning of a new console cycle, doing what they did seemed necessary, but now that there is more content to choose from, the trend will be unlikely to continue.

I'd rather have more games I'd rather play then ones that are new and I don't have interest in.

That's because your main point is shit.

Did Sony ever promise a free, unreleased, new game every month? I never got that memo.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice - but I haven't played Towerfall, pixel junk or Trine 2 yet. No complaints about psn plus here.

coolasj19

I got your main point, but Sony never said they would only be giving out new unreleased games for the life of the service. At the beginning of a new console cycle, doing what they did seemed necessary, but now that there is more content to choose from, the trend will be unlikely to continue.
I'd rather have more games I'd rather play then ones that are new and I don't have interest in.
Correct. They never said that. Maybe I could find some off-hand PR quote about getting new games every month with PS+ but that would neither hold any weight or address my point. But they sure did set a hell of a precedent with 7 months of continuing the same pattern. And I was earnestly hoping get a new game (regardless of size), every month, would be a thing I could look forward to for years ahead. But that precedent is broken now. And as far as new games every month with PS+, the only guarantees are Driveclub, Binding of Isaac, and Secret Ponchos. Maybe it wasn't worth it, maybe there just wasn't a deal they could work out for a previously unreleased game with any developers for this month, but precedent is broken and I want to say I'm slightly disappointed in how this is turning out.

And I don't get your line of logic. If you rather have more games (on PS+) you'd rather play, wouldn't it be more likely that you'd have already bought said games? And why would you think (from how I'm reading this) that a new game that your not interested in is/was more likely to appear on PS+ as a new game than something you were interested in? From a probability perspective, the chances of games that you're interested in being on PS+ has gone niether up or down.

I'm still in general happy with PS+. Since I feel I need to disclaimer that otherwise I guess it looks like I hate the service. Good things are not immune to criticism. I like PS+ a certain way, and I would like to say that.

ILoveBish

Correct. They never said that. Maybe I could find some off-hand PR quote about getting new games every month with PS+ but that would neither hold any weight or address my point. But they sure did set a hell of a precedent with 7 months of continuing the same pattern. And I was earnestly hoping get a new game (regardless of size), every month, would be a thing I could look forward to for years ahead. But that precedent is broken now. And as far as new games every month with PS+, the only guarantees are Driveclub, Binding of Isaac, and Secret Ponchos. Maybe it wasn't worth it, maybe there just wasn't a deal they could work out for a previously unreleased game with any developers for this month, but precedent is broken and I'm disappointed in how this turned out.

And I don't get your line of logic. If you rather have more games (on PS+) you'd rather play, wouldn't it be more likely that you'd have already bought said games? And why would you think (from how I'm reading this) that a new game that your not interested in isby/was more likely to appear on PS+ as a new game than something you were interested in? From a probability perspective, the chances of games that you're interested in being on PS+ has gone niether up or down.

I personally don't have as much time as I used to for gaming, so for me what PS+ offers is awesome. I really wanted to play strider but didn't want to purchase it due to not knowing when I'd find time to play it. Works out this way for me. YMMV of course, but it seems you need to get your expectations in check going forward.

Kings fan

July's line up is much more appealing than previous months.

Don't really care that none of the games aren't brand new.

Rather have a few month old good game than a mediocre new release.

If the problem is that you personally already own the game (read: your problem) the simple solution is eaither sell your physical copy or stop buying games you aren't going to finish immediately.

If you bought a game at release and got your money's worth congrats, you helped pay the developer who made the game and once all our PS plus subs run out guess what? You still get to play your digital copy that you bought and we rented.

If you think that one mediocre "new release" is the primary reason for a PS plus sub the service is probably not for you.

coolasj19

I personally don't have as much time as I used to for gaming, so for me what PS+ offers is awesome. I really wanted to play strider but didn't want to purchase it due to not knowing when I'd find time to play it. Works out this way for me. YMMV of course, but it seems you need to get your expectations in check going forward.
More like I need to correct my expectations. Which I will. Even though it seems the next 3 our of 5 months should have at least one new game in Stock. Driveclub for October. Secret Ponchos and Binding of Isaac are on lock.
July's line up is much more appealing than previous months.
Don't really care that none of the games aren't brand new.
Rather have a few month old good game than a mediocre new release.
If the problem is that you personally already own the game (read: your problem) the simple solution is eaither sell your physical copy or stop buying games you aren't going to finish immediately.
If you bought a game at release and got your money's worth congrats, you helped pay the developer who made the game and once all our PS plus subs run out guess what? You still get to play your digital copy that you bought and we rented.
If you think that one mediocre "new release" is the primary reason for a PS plus sub the service is probably not for you.
Stop trying to convince me of stuff that's already my opinion. Stop strawmanning everything. Stop presenting your opinion as objective. And stop bringing up irrelevant points. (EDIT : Please) Maybe I wasn't 100% clear but I'm sorry I'm frustrated I had to explain to 5 people 3 times the point I was trying to make only for it to be called stupid because I wanted a precedent to continue.

And where are y'all you getting this "new game for PS+ = mediocre" thing from? Are you seriously gonna stand here and say every PS4 PS+ release (sans Trine 2) has been mediocre? It's a valid opinion but I'd still like you to say it if that's what you think.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I'm just expressing the general idea that some people will not be satisfied either in the long term or the short term. The PS4 has a much bigger install base now and so payments for games to appear on PS+ are going to cost more. We're now going to shift to older games with the occasional new game. The bigger the library gets the less likely you are to be disappointed because the amount of games you've played, compared to the amount of games available, shrinks (unless you're a rich gaming fanatic).

coolasj19

I'm just expressing the general idea that some people will not be satisfied either in the long term or the short term. The PS4 has a much bigger install base now and so payments for games to appear on PS+ are going to cost more. We're now going to shift to older games with the occasional new game. The bigger the library gets the less likely you are to be disappointed because the amount of games you've played, compared to the amount of games available, shrinks (unless your a rich gaming fanatic).
Ahh. I've done this before.
It gets people in a tizzy. Apparently me too. Rather, that specific, "You can't please everyone(implied:including you)", phrasing. I've learned not to do it. It often draws the same reaction.

I suppose that's a way to look at it. I purchase nearly everything I'm interested in but every once in a whole something km interested in that I didn't want to spend money on drops into my lap (Stick It To The Man).

I'm happy with the ps4 selection, ps3 is meh and I don't own a Vita. Towerfall and Strider will be fun though. My son had a blast with the Strider demo.

Whew, was this close to buying Strider on Deals with Gold for X1.

Did they ever patch the bug in the PS4 version that makes it graphically inferior?

Apdiddy

Nice to see US audience get Strider & Towerfall Ascension. Glad I waited on those.

And I need to hurry on Dead Space 3 and get the rest of the online trophies. It's only a matter of time before the online is done.

Z3M0G

FUUUUUUUUU

Just purchased Muramasa and barely started it... and it looks like I'll finally own Dead Space 3.

I'm buying a buddy a 1 year + subscription for his Bday today... I'll have a buddy to play Dead Space 3 with I guess.

bebop242

Regarding the "can't please everyone at the same time," it looks like everyone is pretty happy with July's PS4 content except for 1 or 2 people.

Z3M0G

QUESTION:

If my buddy doesn't own a PS4 yet, could he sign into my PS4 with his PSN+ account, make it his Primary PS4, claim the PS4 games, then he'll have them in the future when he gets his own PS4???

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
QUESTION:

If my buddy doesn't own a PS4 yet, could he sign into my PS4 with his PSN+ account, make it his Primary PS4, claim the PS4 games, then he'll have them in the future when he gets his own PS4???
I believe so, but it's much easier to just redeem them from the webstore.

Zetta

QUESTION:

He doesn't need a PS4 at all he can just purchase them in the Sony store website.

Ok, so you can indeed do this without owning a PS4 or ever registering your account on one? Or would he still need to set my PS4 as his Primary PS4 first?

Yeah. I've "purchased" a bunch of Vita games in case I ever buy one, but that's a bit easier since the PS3 lets you buy Vita games.

Top Bottom