• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita exclusive "Uppers" from Marvelous delayed indefitinely, citing low pre-orders

http://uppers.marv.jp/news20160222.html
http://www.marv.jp/message/uppers.php
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/uppers-delayed-unannounced-date-japan

Marvelous has delayed Uppers, its PS Vita game from Senran Kagura producer Kenichiro Takaki, from its previously planned April 21 release to an unannounced release date.

In a blog post, Takaki discussed the delay.

“One reasons it that the number of pre-orders haven’t reached the amount we thought they would,” Takaki said. He added, “If we consider today’s market, they’re not numbers that we can realistically swallow.”

He continued: “I want to believe in the power and potential of this game even more.”

Takaki said that he wants more time to further promote the game.

As for the game itself, Takaki notes that the development staff is putting all of its power into finishing the game in its best condition.

弊社より4月21日(木)発売予定のPlayStation®Vita用ソフト『UPPERS (アッパーズ)』につきまして、 諸般の事情により、下記の通り発売日と価格を変更させていただきます。

あわせて、体験版の「DL版割引購入チケット」の割引対象期間(2016年4月21日(木)~2016年5月9日(水))についても未定とさせていただきます。

発売をお待ちいただいておりますお客様並びに関係各位には、大変ご迷惑をおかけいたしますことを、 心よりお詫び申し上げますとともに、ご理解と変わらぬご愛顧を賜りますよう、何卒お願い申し上げます。

本日『UPPERS』発売延期のお知らせを出させていただきました。

興味を持って楽しみに予約してくれた皆様申し訳ございません。
そして販売、流通関係の各社様に多大なご迷惑をおかけし心からお詫び申し上げます。

定期的に自分のタイトルでこのような発表を行ってしまう事が情けない限りです。

「諸般の事情」と公式発表し、理由を説明していないに等しい状態なので、
急きょ準備してもらったこのブログで
全ての説明を書き切るのは無理ですけど、生の言葉と想いを書き残します。

あらかじめ誤解なきよう伝えておきたいのは
今回、開発スタッフは共に心に描いたゲームを全力で最高の状態に仕上げられています。そこには何の問題も無いですし、自信あります。

理由は1つ、予約数が思っていたより伸びなかったから。

予約の数が市場に投入される初回の本数を決めていきます。
昨今の市場を考えれば現実的に飲み込めない数では無いですが、
それでもこの作品が持つパワー・可能性をもっと信じたい。

「良いゲームを作ればきっと売れる」、
「発売後に口コミで何倍にも伸びるかも!」、
なんて夢物語は(心の奥ではどうしても期待してしまうが…)
そもそもの分母が大きくないことにはそんなの実現しない。

30秒で世界が救える訳ではないけど数秒で敵をボコボコにできる爽快なアクション性、
TVアニメが同時期に放送されるわけではないが男たちの生き様を体感できる物語、
おっぱいは飛び出さないけどパンチラと喝采が飛び交うゲームならではのファンタジックバカエロスを数多くの人たちに体験してもらいたい…。

ここから始まる『UPPERS』という新しくも魅惑的にぶっ飛んだタイトルを
より多くの人の目に刺さる時間をください。

タイトルを知ってもらい、遊んでみたいと思ってもらえるようにあらゆる手を尽くします。
この『UPPERS』が一人でも多くの人の手に渡り、楽しんでもらえることが全てです。

冷静に見られれば何言ってんだコイツとちっぽけな夢かもしれませんが、
フルボッコ系モテモテアクションにかけたゲーム愛で壁を破りたい。

体験版、面白かったら面白かったと一言でも上げてもらえるとうれしい。
気に入らなかったらその言葉を投げてくれ、でも興味持ってくれてありがとう。

改めて、既に予約して楽しみにしてくれている方々、本当に申し訳ないです。

完全にこちら都合のワガママだけど少し暖かくなった頃、

There's an Uppers announcement thread, but this is big enough news to warrant a new thread.

It also says the "trial" version is delayed indefinitely? I'm assuming that's Google fucking up and it meant a demo version?

Sad days. This looked so fun. :(

EvB

They expected pre-orders when I've never seen any marketing for this title? Besides on here.

I'm sure if they had have known that contacting you directly and showing you a trailer for uppers would have secured them several 10's of thousands preorders, that they would have done so.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A demo was released not too long ago, so I wonder if low pre-orders were partly caused by people just not digging it or something &/or want to use the feedback to improve upon the game.

Someone please unscramble what Google translator is trying to say here lol:
...The new is also fascinating to Bukkake flew titled "UPPERS" that starts from here please the time that sticks into the eyes of more people.

ここから始まる『UPPERS』という新しくも魅惑的にぶっ飛んだタイトルを より多くの人の目に刺さる時間をください。

Breakbeat

Banned
If they're anywhere in their right minds, they'll port it to PS4... If the game was early enough on to be delayed indefinitely based on low pre-order numbers, surely it's early enough to the point where it can be salvaged otherwise.

EDIT: They had a demo out? Shit. RIP.

I just watched a trailer in which a char forced a motorboat and have come to the conclusion that nothing of value is lost by this games cancellation.

Hugstable

Banned
I mean wasn't this game supposed to come out on the 21st of April? I assume that since they did a demo they must have been complete or close to completion with the game. I'm confused as to why they just would not sell it, cause even low sales is better than no sales if a game is pretty much done.

18-Volt

It's 2016, Marvelous should start doing simultaneous worldwide releases.Some of their games perform better than they expected.

Seriously, LE's sell out too quickly in west, I think interesting game like this could do even better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Didn't they just have a demo for this game go up on PSN recently in JP?
Last week, it seems.

Also, to quote Gematsu:
“One reasons it that the number of pre-orders haven’t reached the amount we thought they would,” Takaki said. He added, “If we consider today’s market, they’re not numbers that we can realistically swallow.”

He continued: “I want to believe in the power and potential of this game even more.”

Takaki said that he wants more time to further promote the game.

As for the game itself, Takaki notes that the development staff is putting all of its power into finishing the game in its best condition.

Banned
How can I preorder a game I never even knew existed until this article claiming it was on hold indefinitely was posted?

It's 2016, Marvelous should start doing simultaneous worldwide releases.Some of their games perform better than they expected.

Seriously, LE's sell out too quickly in west, I think interesting game like this could do even better.

Exactly. When they're doing this well in West, maybe they should stop being so Japan centric.

Warxard

Banned
y'all, im so fucking mad about this news

i can't b

this game looked /so fun/

fuck why does Senran Kagura gets shitty sequels when a titty Kenka Bancho game can't even release

Marvelous not like this ;~;

I mean wasn't this game supposed to come out on the 21st of April? I assume that since they did a demo they must have been complete or close to completion with the game. I'm confused as to why they just would not sell it, cause even low sales is better than no sales if a game is pretty much done.
not if you have to make carts and boxes that no one buys

They're saying they will do more promotion and try again later. Games only have one chance and of you mess it up with bad marketing it's worse than a delay

Well, it is a Vita game I guess, lol.
hahaha yeah right

lel

Tohsaka

They take too long to announce the localization of and release their own titles. Marvelous can't just count on Japanese pre-orders forever.

Really comes off like 2 parts "Please preorder more", 1 part "if you don't preorder we aren't going to give you the game".

Companies holding their products hostage is so banal.

Hugstable

Banned
not if you have to make carts and boxes that no one buys

They're saying they will do more promotion and try again later. Games only have one chance and of you mess it up with bad marketing it's worse than a delay

ahh that's true, didn't think of all that -_-. Just strange to me to see a game that I've seen promos for on twitter and others talking about a demo just straight up get canned like 2 months from release

Wow, even Japanese Vita owners get guilt tripped.

Game looked very cool, this is too bad. I bet if they commit to localization and put an amazon listing up in NA/EU, even a year out, it'd have gotten some ok pre-order numbers right away that might help.

Top Bottom